How long can semi-sweet chocolate be safely stored? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 09-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,004 Times in 301 Posts
Default How long can semi-sweet chocolate be safely stored?

Advertise Here

No, I'm not talking about keeping it safe from family. I'm cleaning out closets and just discovered a fair supply of semi-sweet chocolate chips, double wrapped in freezer zip lock bags and stuffed in gallon jars. It wasn't intended for long term storage but...I totally forgot about it.

It was purchased in 2010, kept in the house between 60-70 degrees. Looks and smells normal, although the chips in one partially filled jar have a bit of that white bloom (the rest are normal in color). I tasted one (I'm super sensitive to rancid tastes/smells) and it was fine but I know that's no guarantee. I am concerned whether the fat could be rancid.

So if I need to toss this, in the future can chocolate be safely stored in the freezer, and for how long?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle'sPace For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 01:11 PM

I’ve had chocolate chips for years and they were fine. They do get that bloom but it doesn’t affect the taste and when they are in baked goods the color returns to normal. I’ve never smelled a rancid odor. Not like with nuts where there is a definite rancid smell when they’ve “gone over”.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,981 Times in 2,576 Posts

`

I found a tube of M&M minis that were at least 15 years old. Granted they are in a plastic tube, but they were just in a box with a bunch of paperwork I was sorting through. I opened them up, they were kind of crumbly, a little chalky looking in spots & they were stale tasting, but still tasted like chocolate. After tasting them just with the tip of my tongue, I ate a few with no problems. I ate several more & never had a problem. I do have a reputation for having a cast iron gut though, as I can eat stuff that gives most people a gut ache with no problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 01:23 PM

Be careful with peanut M&Ms. The nuts can have worms in them when they’re older.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post: