Good brand of bbq grill? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 230 04-26-2018 06:37 PM
hope for good people in other religions sixtus Religious Discussion 146 12-15-2017 10:28 AM

Old 01-14-2019, 06:00 AM

Advertise Here

I threw my gas grill away years ago when I bought a Big Green Egg. Outfitted with a cast iron grill and a plate setter for slow cooking, you can't go wrong. It gets hotter than any gas grill and can be used for smoking if you like bbq.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GatorFL For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,273 Times in 692 Posts

Going on 6 yrs with a cheap weber gas grill. Original burners and flavorizing bars. I couldnt get more than 3 yrs out of charbroil or other cheap brands. The burners would rot out and flavorizing bars would be dust by year 2.

Weber actualy has a warrenty on the burners and other parts of the grill. They sent me a whole top lid when my new one came dented. Its in the attic of my garage.

Im in the northeast so this may be why a cheap grill only lasts a few seasons. I can say that my weber still cooks as even as the day i got it home. The cheap ones had really bad hot spots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,273 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepperz View Post
Another thing to consider if there was some long term need for a grill is if I would even have any meat to cook on it. If someone doesn't stock meat and have a means of keeping it cold, there isn't much need in a grill right? Unless you killed a deer or something and used a grill to cook it.
Thats not a reason not to have a grill and a few propane tanks around. You can cook many other things on a grill becids meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,258 Times in 18,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepperz View Post
Another thing to consider if there was some long term need for a grill is if I would even have any meat to cook on it. If someone doesn't stock meat and have a means of keeping it cold, there isn't much need in a grill right? Unless you killed a deer or something and used a grill to cook it.
Wrong.

Some of us have livestock.

Used to be: people got together with their neighbors and rotated butchering so that there was a constant flow of fresh food.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,784 Times in 3,289 Posts

I really like roasted/sautéed peppers, onions, and shrooms. And apples, pies/tarts, potatoes, corn, s'mores, quesadeas (sp?), etc., etc., etc. on the grill/baked under the dome... I've even done cookies
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:56 AM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,722 Times in 551 Posts
Default Magma Grill

Magma Grill...is the grill of choice for boaters/sailers….stainless steel....in propane of charcoal.....the propane ones can be used as a stove top burner....by simply removing the center radiant plate....not a cheap grill.....but mine is going on 15 years now....

https://www.amazon.com/Magma-Product...s=Magma+Grills
The Following User Says Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 02:40 PM
No One of Consequence

Thanked 2,546 Times in 969 Posts

I'm smoking some baby back ribs this afternoon, I just have a small Char-Broil brand smoker. I got it at Walmart 10 years ago as a stop-gap measure, until I got around to buying a "real" smoker. But this one keeps doing the job just fine. Of course, I do try to take care of it. I don't store it outside, etc.

The pickings were getting slim at the grocery store... It's a holiday weekend and also today is OU's first game of the season. The place was hopping.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_133121.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	291222  
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,196 Times in 568 Posts

Pricey Pricey, but goody goody goody

http://www.firemagicshop.com/?gclid=...EaArqdEALw_wcB

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/product...caAtsUEALw_wcB
Old 09-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 41,916 Times in 12,968 Posts

We bugged in 9 days during an ice storm that shut Tulsa down. This was back in the old days when we lived in an apartment. Everything was electric and there was none of that. We filled the bathtub with ice from outside and kept our meat and food fresh. Every day we cranked up a tiny iron hibachi and cooked a hot meal + leftovers for later. I even made bread.
It may not be efficient for a family but for a single or couple, or for those who prep in tiny spaces, it got the job done easily.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,064 Times in 523 Posts

My primary grill is a Chargriller charcoal grill, it's the barrel type with cast iron grates and a chimney. I place the charcoal in a metal basket and set that on a wire rack in the bottom of the grill. The rack will burn out every few years and it get replaced as needed. My grill is around 10 years old and gets used at least 3 times a week, even in the winter during snow storms. I use Match Light as the starter under Cowboy lump coal Just takes a few pieces of Match Light to get the Cowboy charcoal burning.
My other grill is a Next Grill Evolution 2 burner from Home depot It gets used every other day of the week. It's a handy thing to have when I don't have time to wait for charcoal to be ready. I keep around 10 30 lb bottles of propane filled and ready to use.
Both of my grills live on my deck under a roof to keep most of the rain off and the hold up good.
The thing with any grill is to maintain then and clean them every once in a while, I'll break out the pressure washer and degrease them then put a little paint over the rust on the charcoal grill and a little vegetable oil on the inside.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:43 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,001 Posts

I agree with the WEBER voters.

I have two WEBER gas grills (one I use just for grilling clams). it is about 20 years old. Fixed many parts of it. I am retiring it soon; a WEBER Smoker and a WEBER Charcoal grill.

We grill several times a week and grill year round. I have grilled with the snow falling. LOL. I bet many here do to.

Our local WEBER Dealer has all the common parts and is reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Master Mason

Thanked 5,614 Times in 1,654 Posts

I had a girlfriend whose Father worked for Weber grills.

He scored me a beauty. Great guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 03:28 PM

Weber Genisis only had it 14 years and still great shape yes I grill in winter sometimes below zero temp as long as wind isn’t blowing also have Weber Q in my camper 15 years
The Following User Says Thank You to 357 Magnum For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 05:49 PM
More than .0001%

Thanked 2,043 Times in 705 Posts

@2008, we bought an all stainless steel Ducane patio grill from an appliance store We’re still using it. I’ve replaced the casters, burners and flavor plates (upside down V shaped) once. Original Ducane parts are still out there on Amazon last time I looked and the cost was very friendly. Ducane was bought out by Webber, they cheapened the product and finally closed out the name. Bastards basically got rid of the competition.

All stainless steel seemed to be the biggest benefit. Sam’s club currently has an all SS grill for $500 (I think it’s a 4 burner) but who knows what quality SS...
Old 09-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,563 Times in 5,675 Posts

Weber here. Have 2; a 3 burner one at the main casa and a 2 burner at the secondary. The 3-burner is every bit of 30 years old and still going strong.

Had a small Hibachi many years ago. Really liked it. Don't remember what became of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 08:14 PM
No One of Consequence

Thanked 2,546 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Had a small Hibachi many years ago. Really liked it. Don't remember what became of it.
Exact same thing happened to me. I used to live in an apartment complex, I had my own patio and grilled outside occasionally.

When people moved out of their apartments, they would often abandon perfectly good things because they didn't want to pack it. They would just leave things by the dumpster, free for the taking. And that's how I got the Hibachi grill. It was great, I enjoyed using it, but I have no idea now what I did with it. Probably abandoned it myself when I moved out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,149 Times in 2,456 Posts

Big Green Egg, best grill I have ever owned.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,261 Posts

For years I used a small hibachi to do steaks. It didn't require much charcoal. I haven't been able to find a similar one.

I used a Ducane gas grill for 20 years or so. The cooking grills have lasted forever but the replacement briquette racks are not as good as original and the replacement burners don't get hot enough to sear. I may try drilling some holes, the originals had drilled holes the replacements have slits.

Ar present I have a Watchman rocket stove and use it mostly with limbs and twigs from my woods. Wood just does a better job on steaks than gas. It has a stainless steel grill big enough for a couple of steaks.

https://thewatchmanstove.com/images/...?crc=401457614
Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,381 Times in 6,974 Posts

I built my own.