Proper way to store non ethanol gas? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Proper way to store non ethanol gas?

Advertise Here

So ive been putting stabil in non ethanol gas in 5 gallon containers. Whats the max time i should keep these stored? I put the stabil amt that it said for 24 mounts so im going to assume 2 years but just wanted any input from you alll
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 11:17 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,304 Times in 3,407 Posts

I recently used 3yr old gas that had received the recommended double dose of Stabil and it still smelled like gas and worked fine in my Kawasaki Mule.

Gas had been stored in a sealed metal Jerry can that was exposed to ambient temps in a desert environment.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:51 AM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,263 Times in 425 Posts

I have used stored gas (the 10% ethanol blend) that was over three years old and it smelled and worked just fine. Stabil was added but the tank was filled all the way to the top and sealed, meaning no vents. You do not want a vented tank for long term storage. Even treated gas will degrade over time if the tank is vented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,037 Posts

I KEEP about 200 gallons around for long range planning. Always use stabil.
Use it for all my small engine stuff so they all have stabil in the tanks.
Anyway
Twice a year I drain the gas out of the generators and replace it with fresh and then I fill the wife's car and my trucks with it along with running on stored gas for a while. When I have burned about 60-80 gallons I go buy more and add it back into the system.

Have been doing it for about 30+ years and never have had a problem of stale or bad gas. Scheduling a regular turn over just saves a lot of surprises down the road.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,590 Times in 996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeknasty View Post
So ive been putting stabil in non ethanol gas in 5 gallon containers. Whats the max time i should keep these stored? I put the stabil amt that it said for 24 mounts so im going to assume 2 years but just wanted any input from you alll
You should be constantly using it and storing fresh so that when the resupply stops you have 2 years time to work with.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:45 PM

I put my in standard gas cans with Stabil and turn them over every 9-12 months. To NW Guy's point, I would just get into a habit of regularly turning it over as long as its available.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:57 PM

got it, ill plan to start dumping it in my car after a year goes by. I did install vents into the gas cans but keep them closed of course, hopefully thats still ok.
thanks!
Old 09-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,031 Times in 925 Posts

From what I am remembering: Metal gas cans, fill to top/no air, stabile marine (can use upto e85 and you use less per gallon), store in climate controlled (no temperature extremes) and try to cycle them out.

I cycle mine when gas is cheap. Fill up the tractors and cars and refil the cans.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:53 PM

There is still one gas station around here (in a small town) that has ethanol free gas. I'm going to fill up on that stuff since a lot of what I use it for is small engines and I've heard that ethanol "gums" them up given enough time. Perhaps not a huge deal if you don't let it sit in the carb for any length of time but for the marginal price difference and supporting a small town gas station, that's the direction I'm going.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Prepared

The answer to this is simple. Gasoline starts going bad in as little as 60 days, and ethanol while fine for most fuel injected engines (they don't gum up and clog easily), makes gasoline go bad earlier and gum up your carburetors. Your fuel storage plan needs to include not only rotation in the cans but all of your devices including periodic maintenance and cranking up the devices as well as proper storage.

The tricks are easy:
  • Rotate your gasoline regardless of what type you buy; since, it goes bad - same thing for banannas
  • Buy ethanol-free gasoline for anything with a carburetor
  • If your area has a choice, get it from a top-tier gas station because they have better detergents overall
  • All gasoline gets stored in air-tight, approved gasoline containers only, which are completely filled to about 95% to minimize air.
  • Gasoline immediately gets treated with the stabilizer of your choice at the labeled rate on the bottle.

How to deal with your small engines like a generator:
  1. Perform routine maintenance as required by the owners manual as a minimum
  2. Every 3 to 4 months, pull your generator or other device out and drain its 3 - 4 month old stabilized gasoline into a gas can... Pour ALL of that into a vehicle you drive every day for proper disposal and monetary recovery for the gasoline.
  3. Take your now empty can and go get brand-new gasoline ethanol-free and stabilized as described above and fill the tank at least half way.
  4. Run generator or other device for 10 to 20 minutes to circulate the new stabilized fuel throughout the entire system... attach a load if this is a generator during this cycle
  5. Close off the fuel petcock valve and let it run until it dies from fuel starvation. Best to disconnect loads before doing this.
  6. Attempt to start it once more but choked. It will usually sputter and die. If storing for a year or longer, before doing this do one quick blast of fogger after removing the air filter. No need to remove the plug or go wild with it. Put the air filter back on if removed.
  7. Drain the float bowl if you have a screw that lets you do that.
  8. Pull the rope gently until you feel compression, so the valves are completely closed to the combustion cylinder keeping humidity out.
  9. Fill the fuel tank on the device to its max fill that the manufacturer specifies. If not listed about 95%, so little to no air is present while allow for subtle gasoline expansion.
  10. The fuel cap must be tight on the device, and any vent MUST be closed on the cap.
  11. TAG the item with one of those paper tags and the string writing the date, that the fuel was changed etc.
  12. If the oil is over a year old, I generally change it needed or not.
  13. Store away preferably in a somewhat climate controlled area. What is really bad is high humidity or leaving it in the rain. If it fits in a plastic bin, nothing wrong storing it indoors. It will also start easier if you bring it out of a 70F house in the dead of winter when it is -5F outside.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:59 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,533 Times in 8,721 Posts

I have burnt StaBil (treated every year) ethanol fuel that was 4 years old. Just to be safe I mixed it in the tank with 50 to 75% fresh gas. Stored outside in the shade (plastic cans), winter or summer with no issues in my 84 F150 carbed 6 cylinder with no issues. I try and cycle it every 2 years. I buy fall gas for the unvented cans. Summer gas is harder to start in the winter and winter gas can easily vapor lock in the heat of the summer. I get below 0 and over 100 temps here.

When my supply of StaBil runs out I'm switching to PRI-G.

StaBil gas in the wood splitter gives me bad headaches, so I don't use there, no issues in the snow blower.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 09:09 AM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,870 Posts

I use ONLY ethanol-free gas in anything with a carburetor. Before I started doing that, I often had trouble starting my lawn tractor, ATVs, and other machines with small engines that have carburetors.

I put a little StarTron fuel stabilizer into each 5-gallon gas can when I fill the can with ethanol-free gas at a service station.

I keep quite a lot of the ethanol-free gas in inventory. Sometimes I have as much as 200 gallons on hand. I do rotate it, but even so I occasionally end up using gas that is a couple years old.

Many times I have heard or read that it's important to fill the can completely if you are planning to store the gas in the can for a long time. I actually never fill my gas cans completely - not even close. I put only 4 gallons of gas into each 5-gallon can because I find it difficult to carry a can containing 5 gallons. It is too heavy. I haven't noticed any degradation of gas that comes from a can stored for a long time with only 5 gallons in it.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,527 Times in 2,070 Posts

Use the product you like best
After doing some research
I settled on PRI-G and PRI-D and Seafoam
The G is for gas and the D is for diesel and the Seafoam is for both
Just did two diesel and two gas cans yesterday
That is what I do
Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 AM

I use ethanol free gas in my two cycle mixes, and in my lesser used carb motors (wood splitter, generator). During the summer, I use regular gas in my lawn mowers since I use them at least twice a week. But when fall hits and things slow down, I start switching over the e-free. Everything but one gets run completely out for storage.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:13 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,879 Times in 10,514 Posts

I simply store it in a sealed gas can in my open shop building. No stabilizers, nothing but E-0 gas and it lasts a reasonable time (a year or less) until it gets used up either in my Quad or various other small engine devices. Spending money on a stabilizer (which often has ethanol in it) for me is just not needed. Plus which I do not believe in the advertising claims about them.

Gas has a shelf life and the first things to go is the higher volatiles. You can not stop this from happening. You can slow it down by having filled sealed containers in a cool dark location. Ethanol gas has the additional problem of being hygroscopic (absorbs water) and can separate. a slug of water hitting you engine is a bad thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,902 Times in 2,603 Posts

I only store non-ethanol gas as I would mostly use a motorcycle if gas were hard to come by. Don't use stabilizer of any kind & just try to rotate it out @ 8 months. lost track once & went to 11 months on 2 cans but it worked perfectly in everything I used it in.