Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Hunter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Yea, I've experienced that. Rejecting trinitarianism, they seem to take my calling Jesus the Son of God, the Messiah, the Liberating King, Savior of the World, the Great Redeemer, the One Mediator between us and God, Lord of lords, King of kings as an intolerable insult - to them personally and to the begotten man, Jesus.

I hold those titles more honorific than one can imagine, short of almighty God, Himself. They call me Satan for my honestly sharing.

[5] Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
[6] who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
[7] but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
[8] And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.
[9] Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name,
[10] that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
[11] and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2)
Of course, consideration of the above verses does not negate the doctrine of the mystery of the Most Holy Trinity which is the central mystery of Christian faith and life.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2019, 10:26 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,675 Times in 10,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
St. Teresa of Jesus warns souls of the pitfalls into which they may fall and puts them on their guard: “No, sisters, no; what the Lord desires is works. If you see a sick sister to whom you can give some help, never be affected by the fear that your devotion will suffer, but rather take pity on her: if she is in pain, you should feel pain too; if necessary, fast so that she may have your food, not so much for her sake as because you know it to be your Lord’s will” (Interior Castle).
I did not know about St. Teresa's words. Thanks!

Now, you caused me to add another glorious book to my reading list; a book about the saints. A friend has a small antique book on saints. It may have been published around 1922.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:43 AM
Hunter

Quote:
I did not know about St. Teresa's words. Thanks!

Now, you caused me to add another glorious book to my reading list; a book about the saints.
You are welcome! She is one of three women Doctors of the Catholic Church. However the content I have cited in this thread is from Divine Intimacy which cites her. Amazon reviews will give you a feel for the book:
https://www.amazon.com/Divine-Intima.../dp/1905574436
Quote:
A friend has a small antique book on saints. It may have been published around 1922.
I love the smell of old books especially ones with the name of a previous owner who is long dead written inside the cover! I have even offered a prayer for them on occasion. I have one book dated 1887 and a dozen or so around 1900.

EDIT:

There are four women Doctors of the Catholic Church, not three as I previously stated:

1. St. Teresa of Avila (St. Teresa of Jesus)
2. St. Catherine of Siena
3. St. Thérèse de Lisieux (St. Therese of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face), "the Little Flower"
4. St. Hildegard of Bingen

Last edited by Trogshak; 08-31-2019 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 08-31-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
You are welcome! She is one of three women Doctors of the Catholic Church.
Although I do not know what it takes to be a doctor of the Catholic Church, I have to say that I really appreciate that the Catholic Church pays tribute to saints by naming so many churches after them.

When I grew up, I went to Saint Anthony's church. For my 1st Holy Communion, my uncle got me a St Christopher medallion, the patron saint of travel.

IMO, our society is far too cynical. We would benefit from venerating great people of the past. Yes, saints may have had BO, bad breath and unkempt hair but it is possible to pay a little attention that despite these human defects, there is something worthy of honor in their life's work.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
When you come off soOOoo superior and critical you will receive blow-back.
No EOC comment to this insight into human nature and the tools to Win Friends and Influence People?
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 PM
Hunter

Quote:
... We would benefit from venerating great people of the past. Yes, saints may have had BO, bad breath and unkempt hair but it is possible to pay a little attention that despite these human defects, there is something worthy of honor in their life's work.
What you say is quite scriptural. Briefly consider the 11th chapter of Hebrews and its focus on the big names of the Old Testament ...
[1][1]Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
[2] For by it the men of old received divine approval.
[3] By faith we understand that the world was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was made out of things which do not appear.
[4]By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he received approval as righteous, God bearing witness by accepting his gifts; he died, but through his faith he is still speaking.
[5] By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death; and he was not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was attested as having pleased God.
[6] And without faith it is impossible to please him. For whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
[7] By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, took heed and constructed an ark for the saving of his household; by this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness which comes by faith.
[8]By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place which he was to receive as an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was to go.
[9] By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise.
[10] For he looked forward to the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
[11] By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered him faithful who had promised.
[12] Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants as many as the stars of heaven and as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.
[13]These all died in faith, not having received what was promised, but having seen it and greeted it from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.
[14] For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland.
[15] If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return.
[16] But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
[17]By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was ready to offer up his only son,
[18] of whom it was said, "Through Isaac shall your descendants be named."
[19] He considered that God was able to raise men even from the dead; hence, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back.
[20] By faith Isaac invoked future blessings on Jacob and Esau.
[21] By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, bowing in worship over the head of his staff.
[22] By faith Joseph, at the end of his life, made mention of the exodus of the Israelites and gave directions concerning his burial.
[23]By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid for three months by his parents, because they saw that the child was beautiful; and they were not afraid of the king's edict.
[24] By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter,
[25] choosing rather to share ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin.
[26] He considered abuse suffered for the Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he looked to the reward.
[27] By faith he left Egypt, not being afraid of the anger of the king; for he endured as seeing him who is invisible.
[28] By faith he kept the Passover and sprinkled the blood, so that the Destroyer of the first-born might not touch them.
[29]By faith the people crossed the Red Sea as if on dry land; but the Egyptians, when they attempted to do the same, were drowned.
[30] By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encircled for seven days.
[31] By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given friendly welcome to the spies.
[32]And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets --
[33] who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, received promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
[34] quenched raging fire, escaped the edge of the sword, won strength out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.
... and on the many who are unnamed ...
[35] Women received their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, that they might rise again to a better life.
[36] Others suffered mocking and scourging, and even chains and imprisonment.
[37] They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, ill-treated --
[38] of whom the world was not worthy -- wandering over deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.
[39]And all these, though well attested by their faith, did not receive what was promised,
[40] since God had foreseen something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.
... followed by this admonition to keep the faith:
[1]Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,
[2] looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
[3]Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.
[4] In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. (Hebrews 12)
Old 08-31-2019, 06:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
I recall before we got married, my 2nd wife commenting on how my relationship with her grandson cannot be beat...
Second wife?

We will be asked of everything at the end of our life in the Individual judgement.

"You ask, "Why?" It is because the LORD is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant." Malachi 2:14

https://www.openbible.info/topics/wife_of_my_youth
The Following User Says Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,963 Times in 5,013 Posts

Also there are only three or four of us here who would consider ourselves Orthodox... Batko, Cat, Keyzer, and myself... And I'm new so at a point in my life where I need to do less talking and more listening as I learn Orthodoxy.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I recall before we got married, my 2nd wife commenting on how my relationship with her grandson cannot be beat. One of the bridesmaids at the wedding reception noted how he adored me ... At his tender age of 5, he knew nothing of the theology, politics, or principles of personal finance that I embrace. He only knew that I spend time with him, letting him know I love him. As little as that is in the universe of things to know, it seemed to be enough. YMMV I know I have an inferior Bible to yours but mine has this for your consideration

Love Is the Greatest
1 Corinthians 13:1-6 (NLT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_1978 View Post
Second wife?

We will be asked of everything at the end of our life in the Individual judgement.
Not sure what the purpose of your post is cat. Am I supposed to thank you for reminding me that I will be judged? Invoking coercion of judgment in response to my post about love shows where you are in your spiritual journey - very immature.

What do you know about my 1st wife, cat? Do you know how she died? Do you know how I was left to raise 4 daughters (including 3-stepdaughters)? Do you suppose I have to justify to you why I pursued a 2nd wife?

Also noted is your complete disregard for the love in my post my grandson has for me and I for him. This means NOTHING to you. All that matters is 2nd wife and I will be judged. If I did not know Christ, I would not know him from our exchanges!
Old 09-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Not sure what the purpose of your post is cat. Am I supposed to thank you for reminding me that I will be judged? Invoking coercion of judgment in response to my post about love shows where you are in your spiritual journey - very immature.

What do you know about my 1st wife, cat? Do you know how she died? Do you know how I was left to raise 4 daughters (including 3-stepdaughters)? Do you suppose I have to justify to you why I pursued a 2nd wife?

Also noted is your complete disregard for the love in my post my grandson has for me and I for him. This means NOTHING to you. All that matters is 2nd wife and I will be judged. If I did not know Christ, I would not know him from our exchanges!
If I am to be perfect I will still not judge you. However God is perfect. I just point out our imperfections. For humility reasons. Of course your case seems solid.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Just re-arranging sentences for clarity ...

Quote:
I just point out our imperfections. For humility reasons.
What you are doing is the EXACT OPPOSITE of humility! Who do you think you are to point out "our" imperfections?

And you are not pointing out YOUR imperfections, only the flaws you perceive in others.

Quote:
If I am to be perfect I will still not judge you ... Of course your case seems solid.
I pray you meditate on this and realize how you ARE judging me - even though you say you will not - by stating my case seems solid.

Jesus: 3 Why is it that you see the dust in your brother’s or sister’s eye, but you can’t see what is in your own eye? 4 Don’t ignore the wooden plank in your eye, while you criticize the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eyelashes. 5 That type of criticism and judgment is a sham! Remove the plank from your own eye, and then perhaps you will be able to see clearly how to help your brother flush out his sawdust.
Matthew 7 (VOICE)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:33 AM
Hunter

If you feel judged, pray to Jesus as your LORD and GOD for my soul.