Resoling COLD/WET combat boots - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-02-2019, 07:16 PM
Birds of a Feather

Default Resoling COLD/WET combat boots

Advertise Here

Yeah just wondering what would be a good fix for resoling cold/wet combat boots.

They are good boots but for some odd reason the heels got totally eroded almost as if someone used them on a motorcycle to break.. but I got adhersive epoxy etc.. just wondering what materials are sutable to resole with its just the heel that needs to be reworked. Sort of thining I could cut up another shoes sole and glue a triangle on or something.

No tire available to fix it with, any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 07:32 PM
Krieg Hundchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
Yeah just wondering what would be a good fix for resoling cold/wet combat boots.

They are good boots but for some odd reason the heels got totally eroded almost as if someone used them on a motorcycle to break.. but I got adhersive epoxy etc.. just wondering what materials are sutable to resole with its just the heel that needs to be reworked. Sort of thining I could cut up another shoes sole and glue a triangle on or something.

No tire available to fix it with, any thoughts?
I’ve used quick fixes and they don’t last long. If you take your boots to a cobbler to be re-soled, it will last. You get what you pay for.

My jungle boots are on their third set of soles....and are older than many people I come into contact with.

Get them re-soled by a cobbler.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SIG-em For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,655 Times in 5,686 Posts

I've had a couple pairs of mine resoled. If you want them to last, do it right. Sometimes Gorilla Glue and a chunk of tire rubber isn't the best solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,602 Times in 998 Posts

Use "Shoe Goo"
http://eclecticproducts.com/products/shoe-goo.html
Old 09-03-2019, 01:13 AM
Birds of a Feather

Yeah I opted for a pretty weird combination not sure if they will even stay on but I cutup an old sole that fell off a water moccasin... it will probably wear fast as it seems more like a PVC eraser than anything I used contact cement and a generous amount of it. .. one of them I experimented a bit --- just one of them, and opted attach a second layer of the sole with a stapler gun and about 20 staples. lolz.

I need to trim things down a little still, but I am thinking it will not last long but though I would experiment with it. Bear in mind I could always do something else. since it is only the heal of the boots and they are ok except for water infiltration through the worn down part of the boot heel, I'm not too concerned.

I was even wondering if just coating the heel with contact cement would solve the problem, maybe mix in crazy glue with baking soda to create a hard layer on the bottom of the boot to extend its life and seal the spongy boot heal. When the boots were in their first and second year of use they were used submerged in swamp without my feet getting wet so much valued boots... now they can't walk in a pubble without absorbing moisture... very much hope my relatively uncouth and unordthidox contact cement and old water moccasin sole fix stays on.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,602 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
they are ok except for water infiltration through the worn down part of the boot heel, I'm not too concerned.
Use a layer of plastic between the patch and the boot.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:20 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,645 Times in 2,756 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG-em View Post
Iíve used quick fixes and they donít last long. If you take your boots to a cobbler to be re-soled, it will last. You get what you pay for.

My jungle boots are on their third set of soles....and are older than many people I come into contact with.

Get them re-soled by a cobbler.
Absolutely agree with this! A good cobbler can do a proper job of resoling your boots, and they have the tools and materials to do it right. It will be worth the investment.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Prepared

Default Resoling COLD/WET combat boots

Third vote for a proper cobbler. Iíve had boots resoled with vibram soles and it came out great. I would cost compare verse replace on eBay for those, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,821 Times in 3,302 Posts

Important prep item--spare soles for boots and other footwear. I bought 6 pairs of soles for each pair of jungle boots... and the scraping tool and glue for the resole. Pretty big pile of boots (purchased really cheap), so I won't have to ever worry about having serviceable boots

Lots of extra laces, polish, etc. are also important
Old 09-06-2019, 10:29 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,558 Times in 8,727 Posts

The Speedy Stitcher is a wonderful tool. Good needles and a carbide jaw needle holder will work, so will the plyers on a multi-tool like a Wave. Dental floss, Tandy Leather's artificial sinew, the guts from your paracord.

Lots of choices for material: fire hose, door mats, larger boots that don't fit, conveyor belt.

+1 for a real cobbler, pays extra if they will let you watch how to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 07:16 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,045 Posts

SINCE REAL cobblers are getting as rare as an honest politician...

I wore the greenies for summer street boots for years. Just shoe polished the green to black. Great for working in hot weather. LOTS of hard usage.

after countless attempts to repair with all sorts of stuff the good old greenies just wouldn't stay together..
I finally broke down and just bought another pair.

The may not be the exact same as the originals but they still work pretty good and I don't worry about something falling off or tearing apart when I am off on a hike.

IT is not like they are $300 boots.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post: