Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-28-2019, 06:33 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,382 Times in 20,086 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6actual View Post
Until you realize that patient has an iodine allergy........
Is there really such a thing as an iodine allergy?
I doubt it, because it is essential for life.

Sort of like being allergic to salt. It doesn't happen.

Iodine is required for most every body part.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 06:52 PM

okkkkkk lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf6actual For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 PM

Well, OK, I looked it up, since you gufawwed at me.

https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/iodine
Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,955 Posts

I have used fishing line to sew up my animals. Dacron works just fine but you do have to remove it. A few years ago I bought several hundred units of disposable succors which has passed their date. A nice variety and I no longer address the issue. I still have needles and material from prior to the purchase. I'm set for life. The expiration date is not an issue to me. As with anything else common sense. and issue. Do you know how to succor a wound? Sorry for the spelling but spell check is not my friend. I have used super glue on farm animals and it worked just fine. I have never used staple but have had them used on me. You can purchase both from farm supply sources or you local vet. My suggestion is to learn to use tools prior to purchase. for some people, super glue is best.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Well, OK, I looked it up, since you gufawwed at me.

https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/iodine
Well I give you credit for looking it up. Lot of people think they are going to "practice" medicine and may find themselves doing more harm than good.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,005 Times in 12,996 Posts

Quote:
I work in open heart and I have seen a surgeon use crazy glue on a distal anastomosis.
Actual Krazy Glue purchased from the $ store? Not an authorized sterile medical product?
How did he verify the distal was patent while successfully glueing it to the aorta? How do you keep the product from becoming blood born and stroking out the patient? Clogging the pump? What is the post op failure rate? I got to tell you I'm seeing a blow out as soon as the partial clamp is removed.
And overall just one BIG WHY???

BTW- The OP couldn't provide one but if you have a link to a video or med journal article detailing this procedure and indications for it's use I would be grateful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Well I give you credit for looking it up. Lot of people think they are going to "practice" medicine and may find themselves doing more harm than good.
Well, what I found supported my statement!

"Iodine isn’t considered to be an allergen (something that triggers an allergic response) since it occurs naturally in the body and is actually necessary for thyroid function.

However, some medications, solutions, or concentrations that contain iodine may cause a person to have an allergic reaction. These reactions may be caused by other substances that have been mixed with iodine. These reactions may or may not be a true allergy to iodine, but people do sometimes call this an “iodine allergy.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Actual Krazy Glue purchased from the $ store? Not an authorized sterile medical product?
How did he verify the distal was patent while successfully glueing it to the aorta? How do you keep the product from becoming blood born and stroking out the patient? Clogging the pump? What is the post op failure rate? I got to tell you I'm seeing a blow out as soon as the partial clamp is removed.
And overall just one BIG WHY???

BTW- The OP couldn't provide one but if you have a link to a video or med journal article detailing this procedure and indications for it's use I would be grateful.
Actual crazy glue that the nurse went to the local CVS and bought. Wasn't a graft patency issue. More like suture line on distal. Little to no chance of it ending up in the pump. We use way worse **** than that now. He just dried the spot with a lap, and couple drops of krazy glue.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolf6actual For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,268 Posts

This article seems similar to what I saw in that documentary years ago. Again the documentary was on network or PBS TV before the days of computers and links. But my recollection was O rings with the vessels rolled back for application of Eastman 910. I was interested because of my experience with Eastman 910 in the engineering world before it was marketed as Krazy Glue.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,005 Times in 12,996 Posts

Quote:
Actual crazy glue that the nurse went to the local CVS and bought. Wasn't a graft patency issue. More like suture line on distal. Little to no chance of it ending up in the pump. We use way worse **** than that now. He just dried the spot with a lap, and couple drops of krazy glue.....
You know, I really would like to believe this, I know there have been advancements since I left the field, but I just don't believe this is one of them.
Since this thread started I have combed the journals and I haven't been able to come up with ONE tidbit of scientific proof this has been done. Glued sternums, glued skin, glued dozens of other things but not one vein graft, side to end, end to end, proximal or distal cardiac or PV anastomosis.
I've called up old coworkers and quizzed my SIL who is an Anesthesiologist. All of them looked at me like I had lost my mind.
My only consolation is none of you will be doing heart surgery or working on me in any capacity.
Ramble on...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,106 Times in 2,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Well, what I found supported my statement!

"Iodine isn’t considered to be an allergen (something that triggers an allergic response) since it occurs naturally in the body and is actually necessary for thyroid function.

However, some medications, solutions, or concentrations that contain iodine may cause a person to have an allergic reaction. These reactions may be caused by other substances that have been mixed with iodine. These reactions may or may not be a true allergy to iodine, but people do sometimes call this an “iodine allergy.”
This is 100% accurate. The substances, iodine, is an element. It lacks the necessary complexity and size to trigger an antibody reaction. IVP dye is the most common example of what people attribute to "Iodine".

EDIT: an interesting side note, that someone with a shellfish allergy is at about a 5% increased risk of having an IVP dye reaction. However, ANY person with ANY allergy is also at a 5% increased risk of having an IVP dye reaction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,106 Times in 2,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
You know, I really would like to believe this, I know there have been advancements since I left the field, but I just don't believe this is one of them.
Since this thread started I have combed the journals and I haven't been able to come up with ONE tidbit of scientific proof this has been done. Glued sternums, glued skin, glued dozens of other things but not one vein graft, side to end, end to end, proximal or distal cardiac or PV anastomosis.
I've called up old coworkers and quizzed my SIL who is an Anesthesiologist. All of them looked at me like I had lost my mind.
My only consolation is none of you will be doing heart surgery or working on me in any capacity.
Ramble on...
Probably used evicel or progel or tisseel.... The sealant is to aid the anastamosis in maintaining the external closure and prevents leaks (bleeding), but any anastamosis needs to be sewn in (To cover my bases with the gotchya group, there is a type of staple but that's for people who can't sew vessels and are doing cosmetics like DIEP flaps but that's not what he's talking about).