Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[NRA 2019] New Ruger Rifles in .350 Legend AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-02-2019 08:00 PM
The New Winchester 350 Legend AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-08-2019 03:30 PM
I Am Legend TV Project Jim from 28DaysLater Books, Movies & Stories 11 08-23-2018 05:17 PM
Big Bore Advice Woodsman 16 Firearms General Discussion 56 04-07-2018 02:51 PM
Polytech Legend UF ... Popeye Doyle Military Weapons Forum 9 10-18-2017 02:28 AM

Old 09-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,031 Times in 3,851 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Those early guns can still use the .311 projectiles, which is the entire point of what I stated about the .357 bullets in a .356 bore.
Yes you can. You just have to watch for pressure signs as you work up the load. Back before you could readily source cast 9mm bullets for hand loading one of the guys in the group used 110 grain lead round nose cast bullets for the 38 special in his 9mm. They measured at .358 to .359". Later he bought a sizing die. After sizing he found he could increase the powder charge without showing signs of excess pressure.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 02:03 AM

Well Iíll confess to being pretty much totally unfamiliar with .351 Winchester and didnít realize it was a straight wall cartridge. I was thinking it was a bottle neck, so shame on me.

As to being legal for deer in Ohio, when they first allowed straight wall cartridge rifles a few years ago, they permitted only specific named cartridges. This year theyíve simplified it a lot:

This is the allowed guns for hunting in Ohio for the 2019/2020 season

Gun Season and Youth Gun Season
Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition).
Muzzleloading rifle: .38 caliber or larger.
Muzzleloading shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel.
Handgun: With 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger. The barrel is measured from the front of the cylinder or chamber to the end of the barrel.
Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,889 Posts

Pretty sure this is a .357 cartridge else it would fail, at least one state requires .357 minimum. Ammunition is relatively inexpensive, brass, ditto. I suppose you could find a straight wall caliber, loaded with light bullets, that would be faster. BFD, there usually are exceptions. There's no doubt in my mind that this was designed to fit in the AR from the git. That it can't use regular AR magazines is not that big a deal. Many states limit capacity of semi-autos to 5 rounds. The only drawback I see is Winchester. They tend to give up early and stop making brass readily available. At least they didn't do another .375/38-55 CF.