All I read about water tells me most don't have enough for a couple days and will mea - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-31-2019, 11:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,795 Times in 2,110 Posts

Advertise Here

Chlorine isn't good for you but it's better than germy water. The thing is it breaks down over a year or so and needs to be rotated. Chlorine is generally very effective but not with crytosporidia which has a spore form that protects it. For that you need to boil or filter. Sawyer water filters are cheap and long lasting. There has been a counterfeiting problem with some sellers on amazon and ebay but sawyer has been addressing this.
Many people have water storage in their water heaters.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 12:22 PM
gagged

Thanked 9,597 Times in 2,736 Posts

We have a pool and a stock tank, our barn had gutters and a metal roof and it is set to drain into the tank. We just finished this set up so waiting for our first rain to see how well it goes. We tried to drill a well but it was too deep for the driller that we were working with, we shall see if we try again once the water is that deep it costs a lot to drill for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to orangenomad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 01:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,014 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
I got two nice microscopes when the local school system upgraded. One connects to a laptop and the other one is the old kind, but is very nice. This winter I'll build a WaterScope which is supposed to be purpose designed to check water purity. People don't realize how a bad case of dysentery can deplete your water supply and maybe kill you.
KISS principle applies here:

Waste of time and resources, IMO.

Not very accurate, and you canít see viruses with a light microscope anywho. Bacteria & fungi you could see, but would be better concentrating and staining, or simply culturing for growth and estimating count.

Far far easier and safer to just filter, treat or boil your water. Or a combination thereof.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 01:38 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,381 Times in 20,086 Posts

The ultimate water prep was done by Immortan Joe.

And a very efficient distribution system as well. No waste.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 03:12 PM
Hiker

If the electric goes off and does not come back on before your stored water runs out you will probably die . All the preps in the world will not help you to survive if you do not have a positive non electric powered water supply . A friend of mine has a shallow well located in his driveway clearly visible from the street . He plans on being the source of water for his whole little development . His neighbors none of whom have a well , will gladly stand watch over the well and by extension his house and property . He who has water will be king . I have a working pitcher pump in my basement and also have an extra point and pipes to install a well on the front of my property for my neighbors to use . Why in the world would you deny water to somebody ?
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyfasteddie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 05:36 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyfasteddie View Post
A friend of mine has a shallow well located in his driveway clearly visible from the street . He plans on being the source of water for his whole little development . His neighbors none of whom have a well , will gladly stand watch over the well and by extension his house and property . He who has water will be king . ?
What a good idea. People wonder what would be good barter items - gold, medicine, tobacco - here's another one: the only water well on the block!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,373 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
What a good idea. People wonder what would be good barter items - gold, medicine, tobacco - here's another one: the only water well on the block!
What a bad idea, that one would barter with others for water. You had best be very powerful to do that, as water is a vital resource, and if you deny it to someone in need, simply because they cannot provide what you may demand in barter, then you create a mortal enemy that will address the situation quickly, perhaps by shooting you in the face, and then taking the water they need to survive.

Far better would be to give the water as freely as possible, and create good will, be seen as the helpful one that freely provides clean water to all in need.

The person that attempts to own/control/restrict resources necessary to the immediate survival of others needs to be able to defend it from others, and that will turn into an immediate, vicious fight. Why bring that sort of thing on oneself in the name of profit?

That being said, if others who avail themselves of your largess see their way clear to rewarding you for such generosity, then you are rewarded without creating animosity.

This subject about vital resources is problematic for all survivalists, and must be examined pragmatically in detail. Water from a well is relatively abundant, endless under most circumstances, whereas food, ammunition, or medical supplies are not.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enemy mind For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 09:37 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,011 Times in 19,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy mind View Post
What a bad idea
If prepping was ever an actual school course, puttster would flunk orientation.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 10:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,014 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
What a bad idea, that one would barter with others for water. You had best be very powerful to do that, as water is a vital resource, and if you deny it to someone in need, simply because they cannot provide what you may demand in barter, then you create a mortal enemy that will address the situation quickly, perhaps by shooting you in the face, and then taking the water they need to survive.

Far better would be to give the water as freely as possible, and create good will, be seen as the helpful one that freely provides clean water to all in need.

The person that attempts to own/control/restrict resources necessary to the immediate survival of others needs to be able to defend it from others, and that will turn into an immediate, vicious fight. Why bring that sort of thing on oneself in the name of profit?

That being said, if others who avail themselves of your largess see their way clear to rewarding you for such generosity, then you are rewarded without creating animosity.

This subject about vital resources is problematic for all survivalists, and must be examined pragmatically in detail. Water from a well is relatively abundant, endless under most circumstances, whereas food, ammunition, or medical supplies are not.
Agreed.

However the real problem would be food.

Have a plan in place to deal with that, should one be the neighborhood water source.

Because as such, you’d be regularly observed, inquired, begged etc etc. and it honestly wouldn't take too long either, figure within a week.

The water source person would by default be seen as a person with resources...
Old 09-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Hiker

EM what is a bad idea ? No where in my post did I mean to imply that i would be bartering my water . It will be there out in the open for any one who wants some 'Both my buddy with the well in his drive way and I think that those in our community will quickly realize that it in there best interest to keep the well head safe , there by assuring them a safe and available supply of water . One look at either him or me will tell them that we are not capable of securing it 24 / 7 . There is safety in numbers will surely apply here . Not denying we will benefit from that arrangement , but i do not call that bartering in the true sense of the word, as any body who wants water can take it with out giving any thing in return . Hope that clears it up .
Old 09-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Golfer

Quote:
What a bad idea, that one would barter with others for water.
Seems like a smart way to barter your water.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyfasteddie View Post
EM what is a bad idea ? Hope that clears it up .
There is a misunderstanding.

Take note of the fact that I quoted puttster.

I then addressed what puttster said.

I did not address/criticize your post because I saw no reason to do so.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Seems like a smart way to barter your water.
I disagree that what I suggested is barter.

Any number of people could get free water, with nothing expected in return, but if one person gave me an apple for providing such a service, that would constitute a gift of gratitude, not a necessary exchange of goods in order to acquire what is desired. There is a difference.

I would tell people up front that such gifts were unnecessary, in an attempt to forestall the perception that it was expected, and would refuse such things if at all possible.

Puttster, the "profit" derived from good will trumps any profit in material things one may derive from the situation. When things go bad, eventually it will become paramount to build, or maintain a sense of community, based upon mutual trust and good will. Man has survived on earth for a very long time, and it is because of the fact that he is a social animal, he lives in groups, that being the key to his survival. Thinking to profit from all others at every turn, that all others are some degree of enemy, to be exploited, is the surest way to die alone, shunned by the community, or killed by same as a danger.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Golfer

Karl couldn't have said it better himself.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Karl couldn't have said it better himself.
Karl, as in Karl Marx? If so then to hell with you mister.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:15 AM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,465 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There are a lot of swimming pools in my area.
With some filtration I assume that would tide people over for a month or so, give or take flushing toilets with it.
LOL, yeah...lots of pools in Houston. Three of my immediate neighbors have them and we live within 1/4 mile of Buffalo Bayou. One of the reasons my wife (who can't swim) made sure our children got swim lessons as soon as they could walk and were out of diapers.

I am still concerned about water. But it's better than most places.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,401 Posts

200 gallons in water barrels on the porch - 50+ liters in glass whiskey bottles in the attic , whole house generator, 400ft well, 3 water torpedos if it lasts long enough that we run out of propane.

I think we'll be well hydrated.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Old 09-02-2019, 07:57 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,542 Times in 2,073 Posts

When I lived in the Mountains of So Cal
I had 6k gallons of water in two 3k tanks
That was a few years of water in theory
Here there is water all around, so the plan is how to make it potable
No way to run out of raw water here
Safely ingesting is the only hurdle
Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,072 Posts

To Wldwsel.

Have you ever practiced using those torpedoes in your well. It sounds very labor intensive to use one to get water. Also does it fit in your casing without pulling the pipe and pump.

If not do you have the tools and knowkage to pull it. If so have you ever pulled it. In theory it is easy to pull one. In reality rust and weight can make it impossible even for professionals with propper tools to get a pump out.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,438 Times in 3,675 Posts

I live on a river, thousands of gallons of water flow by every minute of every day. My biggest problem is making it safe to drink, so far I have invested in options to boil, treat or filter it. It's a resource that renews itself 24/7/365.