OLD 10/22 vs NEW 10/22 - which do you favor? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Default OLD 10/22 vs NEW 10/22 - which do you favor?

Advertise Here

For the sake of this discussion, I'm talking walnut stock and blued metal version. The shop I work at has recently acquired a pretty good number of 10/22's on trade, including ones made in 1971, 1980, and 1985 along with newer models. Assuming the barrels are good (shiny, good rifling, etc), fit and finish are good, and overall condition is to your liking, do you take an older 10/22 over a newer one, or do you choose newer over older? The differences that I see are the trigger guards and barrel bands are metal on the older ones as opposed to plastic on the newer. Also, does anyone know roughly when these and some other design changes occurred? I think I prefer the push-button mag release of the older ones as opposed to the lever-type mag release on the newer.

I've realized that although I own at least twelve or more .22 rifles, I don't currently own a 10/22, and I plan to remedy that soon.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rollintumblin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 11:01 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,073 Times in 342 Posts

Older for sure.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,307 Times in 2,727 Posts

I only worry about functionality not cosmetic changes.

To me the only real change is the magazine release. What I have found is that the new extended release is better if you want to use extended magazines. It is a real detriment if you want to use the original 10 rd mag. The only way it will work with a 10 rd mag is if the mag will drop out from gravity. Sometimes they don't and then you have a problem.

The old push button release works fine with the 10 rd mags, if you know how, but are clumsy with long mags.

So to me the point is whether you want to use 10 rd mags or long mags. Long mags are probably better if you intend to use the rifle for fighting, but I dislike them for hunting. I carry my rifle in my hand when I hunt, and the mag is right at the balance point. Folks who carry their rifle slung probably wouldn't care.

I have rifles with both types of releases and am glad I do. I wonder if there will be a market for the old push button releases like there was for the paddle releases before factory rifles came that way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,499 Times in 6,331 Posts

Older the stock isn’t as ... thick and the as OP wrote all metal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,637 Times in 4,326 Posts

I still have the first 10-22 I bought back in the early 80's. Had a couple of others around that time too, but they are long gone. Havent shot this one in a long time. Just not into 22's.

Mine have all been accurate and functioned fine, if you kept them clean. They are a bit clumsy when it comes to mags and that stupid bolt lock.

One thing that always amazed me too, was all my 10-22's outshot my 77-22, which cost about three times more. The 77-22's groups were usually 2-3 times that of the 10-22's.

My son just picked up one of the new take down 10-22's with a fluted bull barrel and over-molded stock. Accuracy with it was very good, and it felt more like a rifle in your hands when shooting it. Still has the clumsy mag release and stupid bolt lock though. Ruger is about as bullheaded as they get.

Didnt get to see how well it did on repeating after takedown and reassembly though. If its anything like that PC9 I had recently, probably better to leave it together.

I think I paid around $100-125 for my first 10-22. My son got his used, for $325. List price on it is around $600. I know theres a difference in time and models, but damn! Its a 10-22.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 01:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
I still have the first 10-22 I bought back in the early 80's. Had a couple of others around that time too, but they are long gone. Havent shot this one in a long time. Just not into 22's.

Mine have all been accurate and functioned fine, if you kept them clean. They are a bit clumsy when it comes to mags and that stupid bolt lock.

One thing that always amazed me too, was all my 10-22's outshot my 77-22, which cost about three times more. The 77-22's groups were usually 2-3 times that of the 10-22's.

My son just picked up one of the new take down 10-22's with a fluted bull barrel and over-molded stock. Accuracy with it was very good, and it felt more like a rifle in your hands when shooting it. Still has the clumsy mag release and stupid bolt lock though. Ruger is about as bullheaded as they get.

Didnt get to see how well it did on repeating after takedown and reassembly though. If its anything like that PC9 I had recently, probably better to leave it together.

I think I paid around $100-125 for my first 10-22. My son got his used, for $325. List price on it is around $600. I know theres a difference in time and models, but damn! Its a 10-22.
For about $10 KIDD makes a modern bolt release for the 10/22's and a dual mag release setup for about $30.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,637 Times in 4,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
For about $10 KIDD makes a modern bolt release for the 10/22's and a dual mag release setup for about $30.
Maybe someone should tell Ruger.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts

Quote:
Maybe someone should tell Ruger.
Pfft, if they offered the parts they’d be made of plastic and cost twice what Kidd charges.

But really, that bolt release is well worth the $10 imo.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,008 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
My experience was a little different. Nothing wrong with the accuracy of the three 10-22s I own. But they are not on par with the 1986 made 77/22 that came with factory open sights.

I made a target with 1" squares on it and set it up at the 50 yard range were I sometimes go shoot. I used Federal Blue Box bulk ammo from WM. I shot ten 10 shot groups. All the groups were inside the 1" square. Most were between 1/2 and 5/8s of an inch. That was using a 4x straight tube cheap Bushnell scope.

But between the old and new guns the new guns may have better barrels since Ruger started making their own barrels several years ago. But there is no such thing as a bad 10/22. I like 'em.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Awesome

Thanked 22,067 Times in 7,353 Posts

wait.. blued metal? i thought 10/22s were aluminum?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:28 PM

I have the new 10/22. The factory bolt stop is a pain, however you can save some bucks and file the spike off the inside of the bolt stop and it will work better, the only downfall even though it becomes more user friendly a fairly hard hit to the butt or side of the weapon will cause the bolt stop to release. Sense I do not have the after market bolt stop I cannot say if it will do the same. I traded out the factory barrel with a 16.5" threaded bull barrel and added the comp to the end and the wood stock was traded out for an Archangel synthetic stock topped it of with a left side charging handle from Tandomkross and for optics put on a 4-12x40 mildot. At this point in the game only shooting at 25yds while I'm breaking in the rifle (less than 200rds fired through it ATM but it gives a 10rd shot group in a 1/2" target dot soon to leg it to 50yds for shooting steels. Ammo I use is the Federal 40gr match (bulk box)
The Following User Says Thank You to Grimpiglet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Prepared

Doesn't really matter to me. I have one that is older and one that is newer and don't see any real difference in accuracy. The newer "plastic" trigger group is supposed to be more durable than the older metal one and I have actually see videos of the metal trigger guard getting bent while the "plastic" one stood up to the same pressure without damage - however I do not generally subject my firearms that that kind of stress so it is not that important to me.

My biggest issue is standing up to weather and corrosion. Because of this, I do tend to prefer the stainless version with the composite stock. I also generally swap out the bolt release so that I can release the bolt just by pulling back on the charging handle (the standard one requires you to pull back on the charging handle AND press the bolt release to disengage it).

My recommendation would be to think about how, and under what conditions, you will be using it, then get the one that meets the requirements and most appeals to you aesthetically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 06:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,255 Times in 6,781 Posts

Older. Unless I can get a takedown, that’s really the only 10/22 that I think is worth the typical asking price.
If your employee price is good enough, that would change things, of course.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,834 Times in 2,589 Posts

The older (70- early 80s) 10-22s we very hard shooting. Had a 77/22 would not hold a 1" group. Paid $250 for it at a gun show in OKC in 1988 and finally sold it after buying a beat up Remington SpeedMaster at a yard sale for $75 that would shoot circles around it. I have my Dad's SpeedMaster he bought in the early 70s and a Marlin 39A Gold Trigger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 10:47 PM

I really like the newer sporter models without the barrel bands and no iron sights. Got me one with a French walnut stock. Beautiful and has become one of my favorite long guns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fudd Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 06:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts

Have older and newer 1022s in OEM configuration. Stainless as well as blued. They all shoot about the same. Prefer the older mag release with 10rd mags simply because that is what I was accustomed to with my 1970s factory carbines. Also accustomed to installing my own sling swivels into thier wood stocks as well.

My TCR22 ( 1022 clone) has shown more consistent mechanical precision with every load I have tested so far. As good or better than a few other semiautos out there, including the Marlins, Remingtons, and Savage.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/semi-automatic/t-cr22

Note: Mine resides in a synthetic stock, but they have a model sittin in a wood stock. Unlike the factory 1022 stocks, the TCR stock has sling swivels.

Note: Any 1022 stock will mate right up to a TCR22. ( Have tried this using 8 different 1022 stocks.)

Note: Any good quality 1022 magazine works just fine thru the TCR22, but unlike thier magazine....the 1022 mags do not lock the bolt open after last shot is fired. Also sports a bolt release.

Note: TCR22 factory 10rd mags drop right in your hand once you press the mag release lever. ( Same with the 10rd 1022 mags)

Note: Factory iron sights via TCR22 are much better than factory irons on a 1022 in every way....including a much longer sight radius.

Note: TCR22 = Optics rail is integrated component via reciever. ( Currently running a Leupold VX Freedom rimfire moa scope on one of them. )

Note: blued steel and threaded muzzle with thread protector. ( My 2nd TCR22 was a package deal with factory soft case, sling, and RDS. )
What Tompson SHOULD do in future = A package deal with 5 of thier magazines instead of sling and RDS.

Reasonably priced.....especially with the rebate...if they still offer it.

Ruger should have a factory 1022 with the same features and at the same price imo.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd TCR 22.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	291168  
Old 09-01-2019, 05:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,307 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:

I bought a 77-22 just because it is Sooo pretty with it's tapered barrel, nice walnut stock, and clean lines with no hangy down mag, or tube under the bbl.

But EVERY time I took it out I had to rezero it. It would shoot pretty good groups, but I don't have much use for a rifle that won't shoot in the same place whenever I want to use it. I tried free floating the bbl, didn't help. Now it's history.