Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Things We Do 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 162 08-16-2019 06:55 AM
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 150 10-16-2018 08:56 PM
Thirty three years with a Mini .22 cbl51 Pistol and Revolver Forum 116 05-15-2018 03:41 PM
When did mountain house pouches go to 30 years? kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 04-23-2018 11:58 AM

Old 04-28-2019, 05:34 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,495 Times in 5,592 Posts

Advertise Here

Back in the 90s I spent a lot of time boring holes under roads and putting pipe in. The pipe was to be used for installing telephone and fiber optic cable. The pipes could be buried for weeks or months before we came back to dig them up and install the cable, so we couldn't leave open holes or someone would fall in.

We used to tie some of that yellow plastic Caution tape to the end of the pipe before burying, and leave a bit of it sticking out of the ground. When we came back later, all we had to do was find the tape and follow it down with a shovel.

The same could be done here. Even if a bit of the tape was sticking out of the ground, casual people would either not notice it or think it was trash. I think the plastic would last a LONG time if buried. But even if you left no tape sticking out of the ground, it's a lot easier to find the tape buried an inch below the top and follow it down than to dig 3 foot deep holes all over the place looking for your cache!

Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts

I will retrieve another one in 20 years from the date this one was dug up.

11B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,031 Times in 925 Posts

Why not a piece of mason twine? At about 6” bgs leave a coil extending 4’. When you are close, you hit the string, pull, and it will lead right to it. Mason twine lasts decades and would be much harder to spot. They also make tape with a magnetic foil in it so it can be found easily with a metal detector. Could make a nice big X and move it 15’ at 90* east too. Finding stuff verticals is difficult.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:11 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

I'm happy to hear some real life info. FYI, next time, bury all the documentation with the firearm...
Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

With a metal detector, wouldn't a rifle only 3 feet down be a big enough "X" for you? You would be better off placing a big 100LB rock over the top of it, than more metal that will just be covered and lost over time. Maybe even washed away during some minor flooding. A big rock will stay put.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Target Shooter

Thanks for the real life experience. That is very good info.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:19 AM

didja put a couple cans of them "woodpecker boolits" (steel core on stripper clips) ammo with it?
Old 07-23-2019, 02:03 PM

Outstanding, thanks for the write up and info.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
We retrieved an SKS from a cache point a few months ago after it was cached 30 years ago to the date ( or as best as I can remember....lol)

Thought I would share it here.

A little background info.....

Rifle was purchased in a crate containing 11 other SKS rifles.

This specific rifle was cleansed of cosmoline thoroughly before cached. For some reason, we did not install the bayonet before caching this rifle. ( Can't remember why)

The only oil used before it went to cache was a healthy coat of Rem oil. Linseed oil for the wood......as best as I can recollect.

Cache container used was schedule 40 PVC sewer pipe with glue on caps at both ends. Once glued up, it sat inside pipe for at least a month prior to burying it at an estimated depth of 3 feet.

Can't remember what was used to coat the leather end pieces on the sling....if anything.

Only other items inside were a few silica packs .

30 years later.........

Exact location left much to be desired, as it took us too long to find it imo. We also had to use a metal detector. Our plan initially was to dig it up at night, but ended up as a daylight dig. ( Note to self)

Note: " False" caches and/ or metal " scrap" can be a bad thing....lol.

Used a few " E-tools " to dig it up.

No visible damage to the pipe upon retrieval.

Used a brand new hacksaw to open it. Note: Stood it up vertically against a tree, and cut off the top just below the cap. Missed the muzzle by 4 inches or so. ( A tad close, but got it done)

Pulled rifle out, performed PMCS too include function check, handed it off to another who performed the same, loaded rifle with 10rds of MFS 125gr JSP, and let um rip, once a small dose of CLP was added.

No issues with rifle.

Note: Rem oil was a bit tacky so to speak, but didnt slow down rifle at all.

Next , we cleaned her up and left it at that. ( More pics to follow)

End state: Lessons learned, container held up in excellent fashion, rifle looked better than it had in the crate.
Note: I kept records concerning this specific rifle, but to this day have no recollection as to where those records ended up.....lol

This is/ was simply a test item, and a side item at that, so I should have been more in depth 3 decades ago......

11B
This is great, thanks! I have buried ammo with desiccants in GI ammo cans with the cans inside a 5 gallon plastic bucket for a little over a year with no problems, not even the slightest discoloration.

I have often wondered about burying firearms like this...now I know!
Old 08-04-2019, 05:43 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,746 Times in 643 Posts

I'm in/was in the piping trades. Properly glued PVC will be completely airtight and last decades. Personally, I'd use sched 80 just for the hell of it. Sunlight is a big detriment to most all plastics, so burying it obviously helps that.

I won't say it'll last forever, as I'm sure everyone has seen some PVC that becomes very brittle with age. But more often than not, it pipe that's been outside, exposed to sunlight and repeated heat/cold cycles. As this test shows, 'modern' PVC (30 years ago) will last long enough for most people. If you really need to bury a gun for longer than 30yrs, more than likely the next generation will be the ones to worry about it.

More expensive, harder to find and fit, but incredibly tough is HDPE, or High Density Poly Ethylene. The bigger diameters can be up to 2in thick, is absolutely indestructible, and will last FOREVER. If I had the means and wanted to bury something without the slightest worry about it, I'd rig up some HDPE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
I'm in/was in the piping trades. Properly glued PVC will be completely airtight and last decades. Personally, I'd use sched 80 just for the hell of it. Sunlight is a big detriment to most all plastics, so burying it obviously helps that.

I won't say it'll last forever, as I'm sure everyone has seen some PVC that becomes very brittle with age. But more often than not, it pipe that's been outside, exposed to sunlight and repeated heat/cold cycles. As this test shows, 'modern' PVC (30 years ago) will last long enough for most people. If you really need to bury a gun for longer than 30yrs, more than likely the next generation will be the ones to worry about it.

More expensive, harder to find and fit, but incredibly tough is HDPE, or High Density Poly Ethylene. The bigger diameters can be up to 2in thick, is absolutely indestructible, and will last FOREVER. If I had the means and wanted to bury something without the slightest worry about it, I'd rig up some HDPE.
Thanks EchoMirage, these are good things to know.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy53 View Post
This is great, thanks! I have buried ammo with desiccants in GI ammo cans with the cans inside a 5 gallon plastic bucket for a little over a year with no problems, not even the slightest discoloration.

I have often wondered about burying firearms like this...now I know!
I pretty much use the same method for underground long term caches with ammunition as well. Dug one up after 10 years ( 7.62x51mm Santa Barbara) , and the ammo not only looked in good shape, but all of it fired just fine too boot.
Note: The ammo was loaded into 20rd M14 magazines before being buried and mags all worked thru rifles as should.

The revolver in pic below was the second gun inside the 30yr cache. Left it loaded and all 5 rds went bang.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_162250.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	291172  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I pretty much use the same method for underground long term caches with ammunition as well. Dug one up after 10 years ( 7.62x51mm Santa Barbara) , and the ammo not only looked in good shape, but all of it fired just fine too boot.
Note: The ammo was loaded into 20rd M14 magazines before being buried and mags all worked thru rifles as should.

The revolver in pic below was the second gun inside the 30yr cache. Left it loaded and all 5 rds went bang.

11B
Thanks fragout, if done properly we can cache arms/ammo underground for a long time if need be!