Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Older 40 x 400 chicken house on possible homestead property Bellyman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 06-10-2017 10:21 AM
Property tips Red Dirt Walker Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 05-09-2017 07:18 PM
Soros and Dems trying to lower voting age to 16 Justme11 Political News and Discussion 109 03-29-2017 06:10 AM
What to do with people on your land? JoeKan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 72 01-29-2017 07:29 PM
This Thanksgiving let's think of the Pilgrims and private property rights RKW General Discussion 2 11-23-2016 01:33 PM

Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,359 Times in 3,432 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJ_51 View Post
..Just had a (probable..) gang-related (?) shooting - 4 doors from us - Yesterday (Sun) in broad daylight, 5 shots, no brass found (revolver, methinks.. guessing maybe a .38 by the lightweight-sound..) only One of-which connected with its' intended victim, and so that means the Other 4 rounds went... ???? And where we are is Not a "high-crime area", by any means, so, yah.... I'll 'take a flyer', Sir... PM'd be great, Thx..

jd
PM sent....
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
I grew up in Navajo County. I know itís dubbed the Meth Capital of the US but I had never been robbed. 50 acres of BOL in Concho (Apache County) left unattended with no problems. 160 acres in Snowflake; occasional trespasser even with a fenced and gated premises. Iíve never heard of so much crime in the areas. I donít make it back enough but I have the occasional check-in by volunteers.
According to my LEO neighbor it's all about location. The area in general sees a lot of crime (theft/domestic violence) but it is less in some places then others. Depends on the neighbors I guess.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:29 AM
Semper Fi

Crossed paths with this guy in my driveway the other day. Nice sized gopher snake to help keep the rodents under control.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 12:20 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,074 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
There is a nice State Park (Lyman) with a lake about 20 miles south of St John's we can use if so inclined.
Lyman Lake historically has issues with high levels of mercury in the fish. Reports say itís safe for recreation but donít eat the fish. Iím not sure about filtering water to make it safe from mercury. Itís an important thought when relying on a body of water. I stopped fishing there as Iím a ďcatch and we eatĒ person.

This is an old thread but reports as of a few months ago are still coming in on the matter. Iíd guess this goes back at least 15 years now. Do your research on this lake.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 12:53 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
Lyman Lake historically has issues with high levels of mercury in the fish. Reports say itís safe for recreation but donít eat the fish. Iím not sure about filtering water to make it safe from mercury. Itís an important thought when relying on a body of water. I stopped fishing there as Iím a ďcatch and we eatĒ person.

This is an old thread but reports as of a few months ago are still coming in on the matter. Iíd guess this goes back at least 15 years now. Do your research on this lake.
Thanks for the heads up on the mercury (haven't verified it though) however I wasn't planning on relying on Lyman Lake for food or drinking water...simply recreation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:38 PM
Semper Fi

Took care of the last vestige of CA today when I took wife to Show Low MVD to get her AZ license.

I got my AZ drivers license over a year ago but she had misplaced her naturalization and other paperwork some time ago and we didn't find it until unpacking the final load.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Semper Fi

Property next to us went on the market day before yesterday so now we have to decide if we want to buy it or just hope that someone cool does.

The realtor contacted us over a week ago prior to the listing going live and we discussed that (absent some dummy coming along) he was asking way too much. So we made a cash offer we would be willing to pay for it. Att he turned the offer down but she has now come back that he would indeed take appreciably less then asking price Though still more then we want to pay and we haven't made a counter yet.

Torn as there are several scenarios...
1: We buy it but deplete disposable cash reserve
2: It doesn't sell and just stays empty as many properties out here have done.
3: Some idiot douchebag picks it up and wants to complain about shooting, etc
4: Possibly get a cool pro-2A neighbor to give more bodies to man the line out here.
4: A year or two goes by and we could possibly pick it up for even less then our offer.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Semper Fi

On a different subject, found out the County has no ordinances against nor issue with my shooting on the 120ish acres of bare land they own that abuts my property. Sheriff said I just couldn't be shooting toward other structures (none around to worry about) and that even putting up a berm and/or steel targets was ok.

Of course since it isn't private property I know that any targets that walk away are on me but there is pretty much zero chance of others being out in that area that I would be unaware of.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,414 Times in 3,275 Posts

Quote:
Took care of the last vestige of CA today when I took wife to Show Low MVD to get her AZ license.

I got my AZ drivers license over a year ago but she had misplaced her naturalization and other paperwork some time ago and we didn't find it until unpacking the final load.
Where is she from, if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Where is she from, if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
South Korea

I looked at demographics the other day and I believe she might possibly be the only Asian in St Johns.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:00 AM
Semper Fi

Well seller turned down our second offer so now I guess it's a waiting game to see how long he will let it sit on the market before he accepts reality. Though there is always the possibility that they might find a sucker.

Another (similar) lot near us has been on market for over 400 days so far despite them asking much less.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:29 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,929 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Well seller turned down our second offer so now I guess it's a waiting game to see how long he will let it sit on the market before he accepts reality. Though there is always the possibility that they might find a sucker.

Another (similar) lot near us has been on market for over 400 days so far despite them asking much less.
You signed paperwork in May and this still isn't settled? You should be looking for a different property at this point. If the seller turned down your offer, you are not bound to anything.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:04 PM
read more, post less

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
You signed paperwork in May and this still isn't settled? You should be looking for a different property at this point. If the seller turned down your offer, you are not bound to anything.
He's talking about a second property next door to his that went up for sale a few days ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
We signed paperwork on the house we are currently living in back in May...of 2017.

This latest post is about the bare land next door to us that just came on the market.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 AM
Semper Fi

My buddy from post #103 came up to the house earlier today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:18 PM
Semper Fi

Got the slab poured in front of the shop last Friday. Also did a small stoop in front of the man door on the end of the building. Due to the weather they had to delay removing the forms and I am waiting on the delivery of a few loads of fill dirt to level things out around it.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:20 PM
Prepared

Quote:
We signed paperwork on the house we are currently living in back in May...of 2017.

This latest post is about the bare land next door to us that just came on the market.
How big is that parcel and how much does it cost?
The Following User Says Thank You to Arizona Tom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Tom View Post
How big is that parcel and how much does it cost?
36 acres and they are asking $29,800. Which is CRAZY high.

There is another 36 acre parcel within eyesight of mine that also has power and they want $17.9K but it has been sitting on the market for over 400 days and so I would imagine they will take something less then that for it. Here is the link...https://excalibur2-arizona.remax.com.../fullmode/map/
Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Prepared

Quote:
36 acres and they are asking $29,800. Which is CRAZY high.

There is another 36 acre parcel within eyesight of mine that also has power and they want $17.9K but it has been sitting on the market for over 400 days and so I would imagine they will take something less then that for it. Here is the link...https://excalibur2-arizona.remax.com.../fullmode/map/
Looks like a great value as long as the water isn't too deep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arizona Tom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Tom View Post
Looks like a great value as long as the water isn't too deep.
I actually like that property a lot and have recommended it to several people I know. Only downside is the power runs along the east edge of property (access road is on the west edge) and thus everybody has built where I can see them.

My well is 590' into the Coconino but I don't know if the driller had hit anything shallower then that as it was done about 16 years ago.