Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 2,057 Times in 641 Posts
Default Streamlight tactical lights are pretty tough

Advertise Here

I've always used Surefire and still do. But the Streamlight tactical lights are impressive with their ability for taking abuse.

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Hiker

I have that Streamlight, yes it feels dense and real solid like an actual mini baton.
The Following User Says Thank You to elsapo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 11:29 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,864 Times in 2,557 Posts

I've been EDC'ing a streamlight polytac for years now. Really like it. I've had ****fire in the past, been burned by their garbage every time, never again. Only streamlight & maglite's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,684 Times in 8,468 Posts

I like my Streamlight headlights. I own a hammer. I have no clue what whacking a padded board demonstrates - even fat heads don't have that much padding over the bone.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,864 Times in 2,557 Posts

Well if you don't have a hammer but really need a hammer it is useful. I think it might demonstrate how tough they are? Some people drop things, have accidents, or just live a generally rigorous lifestyle. When I was younger, I might have fit in a couple of those categories. I know in emergencies my MagLite's have been useful as clubs, pry-bars, etc. especially my old 6 D-cell light. I've had that since the early-mid 80's & it runs like a champ still, even if it looks like 100 miles of bad road. Now I fit in the 100 miles of bad road category, but not the still running like a champ group.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,790 Posts

I have edc mine for years it's been dropped washed soaked beaten and the paint is rubbing off. Still works like it was out of the box.

Surefire can suck it. The battery life always blew on them.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 AM
I love this forum

Great lights with a great warranty. I own several of them and really like the Ten Tap UI.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:48 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,284 Times in 488 Posts

I came across this thread after a search for 'Surefire' as I don't currently own a light that could be described as 'tactical' and I've been thinking of making a purchase.
Interesting use of the flashlight in the video. Hammer fist utility is one reason I still carry my old, heavy 110 on my belt.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 2,057 Times in 641 Posts

I own many Surefires, I'm just moving over to Streamlights. I had one bad Surefire out of many. Surefire replaced it with a brand new updated model for free. Surefire is good if you got lots of $$. But very happy with Streamlights except for the tap ten adjuster. I just use it for full power, too hard for me to adjust. The Surefire has a ring on their 2500 lumen model for fast adjustments...just twist the ring. But it is about $1200. For about 10% or less of that figure you can get 2500 - 3500 lumens with a Stream. (Just no adjuster ring)
The Following User Says Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 11:03 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,793 Times in 1,514 Posts

The Streamlight warranty is terrific. I sent a SuperTac IR illuminator off to them that was a few years old, lightly used yet the LED was weak. My receipt was long buried in three years worth of paper so I did an RMA without it. They fixed it right away, FREE , no hassle, new battery and IR LED and it is once again like a powerful spot light.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:42 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,112 Times in 3,305 Posts

My son can’t kill his and he can **** up rock.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:45 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,652 Times in 12,318 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Iíve got a 4/5 year old streamlight sidewinder compact that Iíve dropped multiple times, kicked across the floor, closed a car door on, and dropped in a sink full of soapy water. Still works just as well as it did new. Has 1 tiny scratch on the plastic covering the ledís.

Tried to get pic of scratch and itís to small to show on the image. Has no effect on the light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	097DE0F7-7315-4FA6-A759-E762BF2F4402.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	290826  
Old 08-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,311 Times in 976 Posts

Surefire's are tough and expensive. I've got a couple of them. One is hazmat rated. A lot of guys at my fire department have them or similar that are helmet mounted. They get beat on somewhat regularly, even just doing drills. The one problem with them is mostly they're high intensity lights that use the CR123 battery. Which is fine, except you do burn through batteries pretty fast. For intense applications though, if that's what you need, that's what you need.

We also use Streamlights for fire/rescue. These are popular as vertical mounts on jackets. A lot of times, the LEDs are strong enough here. And for most of my personal use now, home/auto/EDC, I'm using all LED Streamlights of various sizes/features. I've had these for years. Never had to replace a bulb. And the batteries last a long time in the LEDs. These lights are also pretty tough. And the LEDs are plenty good enough for most use cases. (How often do you really need to throw 10 zillion lumens anyplace? When you do, you use that light. But mostly... not.)

In both cases, (Surefire and Streamlight), I've had these things beat on, in hot environments, in cold environments, been soaking wet, etc. Generally zero problems. Except for one. Thee was one small Streamlight I had - my fault - that had the on/off via a twist top. I'd turned it too far 'off' at one point and it got waterlogged. Whatever that little module is at the top needed replacement and the company sent it. No cost. Should have been a cost. (I forget as it was years ago, but I think it was out of warranty.)

Anyway, big fan of both brands.