Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,672 Times in 10,388 Posts
Default Men's Retreat: Death of Billy Graham

Advertise Here

Some of you may know that I mentioned going on a Men's retreat this weekend.

About 40 of us met on a private farm. I only knew the owner. So, I mingled with a few people but spend most of my time getting to know 84-year old Billy Graham (not the famous one). Coincidently, he was a pastor for 50 years.

He and I were talking about how certain Bible verses hit home. He was explaining how that recently happened to him about a verse he had read 100's of times. Just then a man whistled VERY loudly and yelled the evening service will begin in a few minutes so huddle up near the campfire. I told Billy I look forward to talking more about how certain Bible verses, though previously read, suddenly hit home in a powerful way.

Because I could not hear the opening words, I got up and stood beyond those seated near the front. A man sang. A young man did a reading and short sermon from the OT. Another song. Then Billy got up with his guitar. Someone asked if he wanted a chair. He said no.

After playing a couple of songs he announced, I'm going to leave you and they say when you leave them, leave them laughing. It was a silly song about stupid questions. One was, you go in the bathroom and lather up your face. Your wife walks in and ask if you are going to shave. I take a picture. He finishes his set and walks to the back of the outdoor church.

And drops dead.

I was the 1st one on the scene. It sounded like he was snoring. Three of us worked on him. I felt for his pulse in his neck. NOTHING. I announced we have to perform CPR. Sometimes I felt no pulse. Other times I did. Someone on the outside observing said we revived him (to a snoring like state 7 times).

He never showed signs of consciousness.

I was looking into his fixed and dilated eyes as I realized my knee was wet. (He lost control of his bladder). I felt for his pulse in his neck, chest and wrist. In his wrist, I detected ONLY a strong pressure pulse in sync with the downward stroke of the CPR. There was no independent pulse. CARDIAC ARREST.

I knew the 3 of us were merely performing until the paramedics arrived. While more than a dozen people left to guide the ambulance to the remote area, there were still 20 guys and young children watching us.

When the paramedics arrived, the put heart monitors on him, which confirmed my observations. One the downward stroke of the CPR, the heart rate shot up to 142 BPM, then decayed. They used the defibrillator with the same effect.

Once we started CPR, we had a moral obligation to continue until the paramedics came. 2 men from the Men's Retreat went to the hospital. I chopped wood. This morning I got confirmation Billy Graham had passed. The 2 men met 2 of his sons at the hospital. There can be no doubt where Billy is.

Well done Billy! A magnificent life and dramatic exit.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,734 Times in 18,631 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Wow. How surreal. I can't think of a better way to go: quick, painlessly, and with a group of Christian believers surrounding me. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. I wonder what beautiful things he's witnessing at this moment.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:13 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,672 Times in 10,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I wonder what beautiful things he's witnessing at this moment.
I think one of the best witnesses is the generational hand off - 3 of the 5 men leading the evening service where ministers under 25 years old.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 09:15 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,874 Times in 549 Posts

Don't know about y'all but watching someone leave this earthly presents, brings our eventual mortality into clear focus, I'm thankful I know and have a relationship with our Lord and savior Jesus on a daily basis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncwebnut For This Useful Post: