Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-22-2019, 02:35 PM

Thanked 1,373 Times in 643 Posts
Question Shield Lore

Advertise Here

I finally got around to getting a shield, partially inspired by you-know-what.... I was wondering if any of you have any tips for using them-- maybe even something you've learned from experience using them for self-defense during a protest, or on riot control duty.

The only things I thought of so far is that you should be careful to keep the top edge out of your eyes, and I guess also, keep the bottom edge from banging your knees.

I just got one of the small, round, cheap transparent ones. I'm at any age where everything on my body feels a little more creaky than I'd like, so I figured the best bet would really be to get a smaller, lighter shield first.

One possible app I was thinking of for them is if I get into the situation where I want to do some last-minute shopping, but the store looks a little sketchy. Might be smart to wear the shield in there.

Don't really expect I'll have to do the 28 Days Later thing where I'll have to open the front door of my home for anybody, and need the shield because of zombies that are on their tail. But as I'm fond of saying, who knows what it'll be like.....
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Prepared

Are you talking about ballistic shields or just a piece of "stuff" to block low velocity assaults?? With the former I wouldn't take it off your property and I would also, just me personally, avoid people seeing/knowing of its presence. For the later, why bother? You should be taking some form of action before needing a shield.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,176 Times in 2,706 Posts

Titanium chainmail is probably more useful than a shield for most events you will encounter and both hands are free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,257 Posts

As probably an extension of binge watching Vikings recently, I've been on a kick about Viking and Medieval history and warfare. It was incredibly brutal!
Anyway, I've also gotten interested in the method and tactics of fighting with sword and shield. Just a mental exercise as I don't see myself fighting with them.
There are many great videos on YouTube on the subject.
This guy, pommelstrike, has some good ones.
https://youtu.be/dkhpqAGdZPc

Also, this fellow, Roland has a bunch that are very informative. This is not the one I was looking for but it's a start.
https://youtu.be/oQo7FjxjHSg

The methods of using a shield are a lot different than I had always imagined.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2019, 11:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,505 Times in 6,332 Posts

find the SCA heavy fighter practice in your area start going.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 01:12 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,207 Times in 4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
find the SCA heavy fighter practice in your area start going.
Beat me to it. Best possible training.

Spent ten years carrying a shield in the SCA.

But really too much to just start spewing advice online. Its marital art, so many things like stances, angles, etc that would be really hard to explain in a forum post. Like trying to teach someone how to swing a golf club just in text.

Seriously, look into the SCA. The only people who really have studied shield combat as an art and not just 'hold this thing in front of yourself' Riot police tactics are a joke compared to what a first year SCA fighter can do with one.

But in general....its all about the angles.

This are a couple of REALLY SIMPLE examples of how the distance from your body to you shield greatly effects the angles it can block, and how the angle of the shield itself does as well.

Now think of angles and then think about how you can use them in 3 dimensions, while moving.....and then go join your local SCA and really learn how to do it.

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 06:29 AM

Thanks for responses

I know some people may think I'm being foolish for thinking we'll need something like this and spending the money.

In light of that, I appreciate that Survivalist Boards gives it enough respect that there are forums for other weapons besides firearms.

1) My own best, short response to that kind of criticism is that if there was no place in the world for non-firearms weapons, then why would it be so prevalent that police use shields (and batons etc.)? The fact that they need them helps show that there are scenarios where they could be the best choice.

2) Another kind of short response I can give like that is to say that you may be thinking of your own region. I think things will be very different in different regions. I'd probably be deemphasizing certain things myself if I lived in one of those other places. In a high-population density place like my area, though, there's just a lot more chance for a lot more things to go wrong--- and also for those different, extra kinds of scenarios to even happen over and over. We're going to have more complicated, bigger problems, and it's going to take more of us as preppers, in terms of responses, but also in terms of gear.

Just think of how today, the wrong level of force in a fight or a response to a burglary etc. could ruin your life. All it takes if for judges, or prosecutors, cops, juries, bouncers, witnesses, etc., to disagree with you.

Our first reaction to considering WROL is to think that we won't have that problem anymore. But what if we do? You may still have to contend with people's opinions, even if there's not a lawyer with the power to cite a law in a complaint against you.

The first thing survivalists think of when they think about non-firearm weapons may be the possibility of running out of ammo, or the need to conserve ammo. Those sound like valid concerns. Even beyond those, there may be a few other good reasons to be able to fight without a gun. People may think that it's unrealistic. But the more and more I consider the problem, the more and more it looks to me that it's actually unrealistic to think that everything can or should be solved with a gun. They're very important, but sometimes doing something a totally different way is important, too.

That's why I had to get the shield, heh heh. If the point is survival, and if it's a situation where using a gun happens to be the Beavis and Butthead thing to do for some reason, then, heh heh...

All the stuff that people are figuring out or learning about medieval combat is pretty interesting. I don't know if we're really going to have to take it to that sophisticated a level when it's WROL. And I don't want to waste time becoming a master at something that's unnecessary.

But at the least, if we have to use those weapons, the techniques should be better than off-the-top-of-your-head, instinctive fighting. We should at least learn and apply the first five or ten things you need to know. That's certainly something that could make the difference between life and death. And I'm sure that some of these Third World people moving around the world now come from places where this knowledge hasn't totally died out yet, and so they have that advantage over you if you think that you know it already, when you don't.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:45 AM

I'm still not 100% over the impression that it's a mad scientist kind of theory, but I believe in it just enough now that I want to spend something like $100 on it, at least, rather than face the possibility of having big problems getting a suitable sword, shield, spear, etc., after TEOW.

Here's one more tip I thought up since OP:

A shield should really have a sling-- not for hooking around you when you're fighting, I think, and retention, but for carrying the shield when it's not in use. Just get a rifle or crossbow sling. Not sure which kind is best yet (one-point, two-point, etc.). May simply be the cheapest.

Also looks like one of the medieval things that the cops haven't learned yet.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:07 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,902 Posts

We used riot shields over seas. Tip the shield low and jam it in the attackers throat. Chances will you cut him really good and cut his air off hard. Works well.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:08 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
I'm still not 100% over the impression that it's a mad scientist kind of theory, but I believe in it just enough now that I want to spend something like $100 on it, at least, rather than face the possibility of having big problems getting a suitable sword, shield, spear, etc., after TEOW.

Here's one more tip I thought up since OP:

A shield should really have a sling-- not for hooking around you when you're fighting, I think, and retention, but for carrying the shield when it's not in use. Just get a rifle or crossbow sling. Not sure which kind is best yet (one-point, two-point, etc.). May simply be the cheapest.

Also looks like one of the medieval things that the cops haven't learned yet.
I am not sure that's a good idea. You could get dragged with your shield if they grab it.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,402 Posts

Let's stand your shield up in a field......say 300 yds away and see if a .308 can punch a hole through it.

Seriously, if a shield will make you feel more "safe" at TEOTW, go for it.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Old 09-30-2019, 08:01 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

There are limited ways into the area my BOL is. The few neighbors in this area think like I do, and think the end game is inevitable. We are all preppers or very self sufficient at varying levels. For us, felling trees across two roads and traps in the valley entering the area will ensure our safety.

What's good for me, isn't good for you... and vice-versa. Prep for YOUR end game.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,207 Times in 4,273 Posts

Quote:
And I'm sure that some of these Third World people moving around the world now come from places where this knowledge hasn't totally died out yet, and so they have that advantage over you if you think that you know it already, when you don't.
Its the other way around. Third world people don't have the luxury of learning obsolete skills just for fun the way we in the first world do.

Quote:
All the stuff that people are figuring out or learning about medieval combat is pretty interesting. I don't know if we're really going to have to take it to that sophisticated a level when it's WROL. And I don't want to waste time becoming a master at something that's unnecessary.
To each their own, but I think if your going to bother to do something, may as well learn to do it well. You can get into a lot of trouble with gear that you have but that you don't really know how to use. Spend one month in the SCA and you will be better than 99% of people with a shield even if you are just barely competant by SCA standards.