Dollar store preps - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Five Dollar Preps Highlander Urban Survival 1135 05-20-2019 09:11 PM
SHTF Prep: Dollar store and Thrift Store Festes Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 08-24-2015 10:52 AM
Dollar Tree preps? Preppinbeahabit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 07-29-2014 08:11 AM
NOT a dollar store bargain... RandiTS General Discussion 28 10-04-2013 12:09 AM
Dollar Store Prepping pamike777 Urban Survival 30 03-08-2012 08:44 PM
Dollar Store Prepping awmiscool Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 48 06-21-2011 10:41 AM
Dollar Tree For Preps phaack Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 03-19-2011 07:37 PM
Dollar store deals BrowserCat Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 12-15-2009 02:07 PM
The Dollar Store COB31 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 08-01-2009 08:21 PM
Dollar store... MaineMountainMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 41 10-14-2008 05:20 AM

Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Picked up a jar of Pepperoncini peppers the other day. They looked and tasted good. I started reading the label and noticed they were picked in the USA and processed and packaged in China. Probably processed in a vat that was used for paint thinner the day before.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,925 Times in 13,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Roche View Post
Picked up a jar of Pepperoncini peppers the other day. They looked and tasted good. I started reading the label and noticed they were picked in the USA and processed and packaged in China. Probably processed in a vat that was used for paint thinner the day before.
Packaged in a facility that may have processed: peanuts, tree nuts, eggs.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:27 PM

Hope it’s ok to bump this

I often find some really good deals at Dollar General—I recently got the “family size” Kellogg’s mini wheats and Raisin Bran for 2 for $7 (at Walmart, each box was on “rollback” for almost $5 when I last checked). Libby’s canned veggies 2 for $1 etc. etc.

Also, I get the “30-40% more” jumbo cans of Campbell soups. can’t beat a buck when the standard price in grocery stores is at least .89 for the smaller 12 oz store brand. Or $2 for Swanson chicken stock when I know I’m gonna be making soup etc. But I do check the expiration dates carefully.

One “bonus” I almost always get is a $5 off next purchase of $25on my receipt- even if I just buy a pack of gum, so I deliberately wait til I get that, then buy up on the stuff I listed above.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yankeechick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,479 Times in 6,997 Posts

Assuming you have a fueled Zippo, BIC lighter and/or Ferro rod & striker in your gear?

A squeezable toothpaste type screw on top tube of Vaseline & a bag of cotton balls or 100 cotton make up remover pads for a buck each gives a lot of fire starter tinder for $2 out of a dollar store. Multipurpose, inexpensive, compact, lightweight & reliable.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,128 Posts

everytime im at dollar tree i spent approx 20 to 25 bucks. they just seem to have things i either want or need. i pick up antacids, conditioner, tp, gum, aluminum foil, parchment paper, waxed paper, eggs, popcorn shrimp, pierogies...all sorts of goodies
Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 PM

Hopefully no one minds me adding some opinions to the thread. Sorry I'm late to the party.

Recently decided to add some food preps beyond the standard MREs and canned items. Budget is tight recently due to a wife in grad. school and a child in daycare. A few items I found at my 2 local Dollar Tree stores have been quite surprising. Here are the few of note I will share:

1. Rice. 2lb. bag for $1. Surprisingly not bad to eat.
2. Dried Beans. Either 1 or 1.5 lb. bags for $1. Wal-Mart can't beat that for most of them.
3. Spaghetti and pastas. 1.5 lb packages for $1. Better then anywhere else and good long term.
4. Some canned goods. A few of them can be deals in the larger sizes but be mindful.
5. Batteries. The Sunbeam Heavy duty batteries are cheap but ok for nonessential stuff. I have the "Buy it cheap and stack it deep" attitude for batteries..
6. Flashlights. Yes they are cheap. But use them inside and/or for light duty and they work fine.
7. Lighters.
8. Some medications. Antacid, NSAIDS, and gauze.
9. Seeds. 4-$1. By volume there are far less in a packet but for .25 cents a pack why not.
10. Bristol Farms Luncheon Loaf. Treet knockoff. Not nearly as bad with preservatives and sodium as you would think compared to its contemporaries.
11. Bread and Bagels. Not as much by volume as other stores but still a really good deal for the price.
12. Candles. The plain white wax ones in the tall glass are the same as emergency candles. They work well.
13. Snack foods. Pretzels, chips and other packages snack foods can actually be pretty good deals by volume compared to other stores.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellerophon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 PM

Some good preps ive used

Dish soap usually can find name brand and stack with manf coupons for cheaper deal..

Kids body wash and hair detangler not exactly teowawki but some shtf scenerios lol

Paper products tp sometimes find coupons and kleenex brand or scotts for coupons..paper plates and plasticwares..

1g water jugs.

Batteries..i have kids..they have toys..these work..

Spices.
Ive found pink hym salt 1# bags .
Oreida or idahoan brand potatoe pouches..
Knorrs rice pouches..
Ive found 5# bags flour..
Bagged beans..
Foil..cling wrap..sandwich baggies..gloves..scrubbies..toilet brushes and plungers..
I have extra plungers not to be used in toilet for washing clothes in shtf scenerios...
Hard candies..those strawberry ones great mood upper..
Tylenols..etc meds..ptests..
Bar soap 3/$1 ivory good deals..
Flossers..

Just some good stuff if you look..
Name brand cereals large boxes..ofte. with coupons..pretzels..cheeseballs..snacks..
The Following User Says Thank You to Katiecoupon13 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 12:45 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by roof_top_eagle View Post
So I stopped buy my local dollar store and found they had some good stuff for cheap![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif[/IMG]

They even had a "Call Police" sign for your car!
Yeah...most of the DS down around Macon GA, Montgomery AL, Jackson MS, Shreveport LA....you probably would have more need of that sign in the parking lot.

Generally speaking, I don't find any more if as much in a DS than Walmart. Just quicker in and out and they're peppered all over the place.

DOLLAR GENERAL does have great store brand cookies, though. The same company that makes Girl Scout cookies makes DG cookies. And the DG cookies are better because they're bigger, more like how GS cookies used to be.

Your local DS should be on your list of 'places to visit' in the last day or two before SHTF. Keep in mind that all of the local Democrats will have it on their checklist, too so you'll want to be there 'firstest with the mostest'...the "mostest" being allies with 'tools of persuasion' who provide overwatch as the get 'n go team....um...."shops". Have a shopping list ready.

For my money, hit the meds section hard. Antibacterial soap, wound cream, cough syrup, bandaids, guaze, tape, medicated shampoo for killing lice....Cough syrup (and other flu/cold meds) is something hard to stockpile for long term as it really does lose efficacy within a year or so of expiration date. Cough syrup (along with alcohol) will be a desirable 'small package' barter item.

Another category to grab both for your 'tribe' and for barter are "feminine hygiene" products.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Prepared

Found candles in a 10" x 3" dia glass container for .50, ordered 4 cases.6" glow sticks for .30. Learned from a man that was in the 04 Tsunami that a Bic Lighter is gold (but you only have the one to your name) 0.15. Meds, Hygene stuff. Have other sources for food items.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmauk View Post
Found candles in a 10" x 3" dia glass container for .50, ordered 4 cases.6" glow sticks for .30. Learned from a man that was in the 04 Tsunami that a Bic Lighter is gold (but you only have the one to your name) 0.15. Meds, Hygene stuff. Have other sources for food items.
i know that most of you dont know this..or perhaps where you live, they dont carry these, but in the religious candles section of your grocery store, there are jewish candles..sometimes called yartzeit candles that on high holy holidays we burn for the immediate members of your family that have passed on. they are a candle in glass. with sept around the corner, and our holidays coming, typically my grocery store sells these for two or three for a dollar... by our religious law, each have to burn for 24 hours.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:37 AM

In our area, we have a dollar store (Dollar Gen, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree) on almost every corner. It's ridiculous. That said, they are there because they get lots of business from locals who want to avoid Walmart (myself included). Aside from basics like cleaning supplies, TP, papertowels, etc. some of the things I like there are:

Dollar General: they have these packs of nuts ("Nut Harvest" had to look it up) that I like to get for hiking and my GHB. I also keep them in my desk. They also have long matches there and I always keep a few packs of those around.

Dollar Tree: I go about once every 6 months simply to stock up on those cheap aluminum disposable pans, which we use a lot cooking on the grill as well as over the fire when we go camping. They would be very useful in a SHTF scenario as well.

Family Dollar: Long story short, I worked for a company for a few years that made a certain type of clothing product (keeping it general) and the dollar stores were some of my accounts. The stuff sold there is just as good as what you'd find in Walmart, JcPenny, etc. but maybe with just less embellishments. When my kids were younger, my mom would buy them outfits from FD and they seemed to last longer than stuff from other stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to juju72782 For This Useful Post: