Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,073 Times in 2,800 Posts
Default ONE mobile radio option? CB (11m AM) and 2m FM

Advertise Here

Question....

I have a large group of friends that I go on 4-wheeling trips with that are basically stuck on using CB radios for comms. I just can't talk myself into installing a CB in the new truck. It just doesn't work well for me overall, never has, I much prefer using 2m to get onto local repeaters or even race radio freqs for a lot of the stuff I do for fun.

Is there a single mobile radio option that allows talking on CB frequencies and the 2m FM band and above?

Option A.

The best solution I can find so far is a Yeasu 8900 or TYT 8900 clone. That would allow me to listen on 11m AM to CB traffic and have plenty of access to all the 2m stuff among a few other bands.

Option B.

I could have twins, something like the Stryker SR-94HPC modded for 11m at the correct power levels of course, and a AnyTone AT-778UV. They are the same exact case as I can tell. I could swap radios for different trips or whatever. I'm not sure what the easiest way would be to deal with the antenna situation either.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,031 Times in 3,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
The best solution I can find so far is a Yeasu 8900
Mine only goes as low at 28.000 and will only receive AM in the air band.

The specs on the 9800 also say it will only receive AM in the air band. I have no first hand knowledge of it though.

The only way to do what you want is to get on of the shack in a box radios and mod it to go out of band. Would it be legal? No. Would you get caught? Probably not as long as you weren't acting stupid.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 04:25 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,565 Posts

Yaesu FT817 and successor models had multimode, HF through 70CM capability.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Is there a single mobile radio option that allows talking on CB frequencies and the 2m FM band and above?
CB radios must be certified, and can only be certified for one band.
I would not expect other off roaders to get an amateur license
I have both in my truck. If I felt the need to hard mount just one I would keep the 2 meter and rig up a temporary CB for the extremely rare group ride.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainist View Post
CB radios must be certified, and can only be certified for one band.
I would not expect other off roaders to get an amateur license
I have both in my truck. If I felt the need to hard mount just one I would keep the 2 meter and rig up a temporary CB for the extremely rare group ride.
Yeah.....certified.....I know.

I've had my license for a long time, sadly I just can't talk the group into going that way. We do at least a few runs a year together and I spend a lot of time on the trail with other groups. It's a huge mixed bag of comms that just sucks.

I can't stand having stuff jerry rigged in my vehicle bouncing around on the trails we do, drives me nuts. That is one of the reasons I have drug my feet this much on installing anything in this rig. I'd really like to add a headset intercom system also, and that complicated and clutters things even more.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,030 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Yes: go to Ebay and buy a vanilla CB rig, and put it in your truck with a loaded whip antenna on the roof. Mount it in the cab with a good two-meter mobile rig, likewise with an external antenna.

You can talk to both CB'ers and hams, even at the same time. That's a low-cost, simple solution that will work well.

HTH. YMMV.

William Warren
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Warren For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Warren View Post
Quote:
Yes: go to Ebay and buy a vanilla CB rig, and put it in your truck with a loaded whip antenna on the roof. Mount it in the cab with a good two-meter mobile rig, likewise with an external antenna.

You can talk to both CB'ers and hams, even at the same time. That's a low-cost, simple solution that will work well.

HTH. YMMV.

William Warren
No room for multiple mobile units.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,409 Times in 2,889 Posts

At the risk of being flamed you could always get a mobile hf rig that has 2 meter and 70 cm, with the MARS MOD (or do it yourself, plenty of info online for most radios). Then you'd have everything covered just look into what antennas you want. It's not like almost 50 percent of the operators on CB SSB (not the comercial drivers) aren't hams running their ham rigs already.

Alot of 4x4's around here usually run both cb and GMRS/FRS. To get extra band coverage and capabilties, you might want to make sure you have GMRS/FRS covered too.

Or stick with a dual band mobile and get a handheld cb kit like the midland 75-822 with cigarette adapter and external antenna adapter. Couple that with a small Wilson 500 mag mount and you'd have a a decent portable setup. Total cost $100 + $34. For just 4x4 outings that would be more than enough. I would imagine that most trips could be accomplished without ever really using the mag mount, but I would definitely include it for extra coverage.
The Following User Says Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,066 Posts

In the past (before cell phones were common) I went on a trip with friends in 3 separate vehicles. I "borrowed" three old CB's from work, wired them up so they got power from a cigarette lighter adapter and each driver bought their own cheap magnetic antenna.

It was cheap, kept us in touch and nothing was permanently mounted in any of the vehicles. The CB's were just left to rest on the dash board or the floor or between the seats, where ever was convenient.

Even if you arn't a huge fan of the idea of such a poor set up it would probably work quite well(maybe a better antenna) to keep you in touch with your friends the few times a year you ride with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
In the past (before cell phones were common) I went on a trip with friends in 3 separate vehicles. I "borrowed" three old CB's from work, wired them up so they got power from a cigarette lighter adapter and each driver bought their own cheap magnetic antenna.

It was cheap, kept us in touch and nothing was permanently mounted in any of the vehicles. The CB's were just left to rest on the dash board or the floor or between the seats, where ever was convenient.

Even if you arn't a huge fan of the idea of such a poor set up it would probably work quite well(maybe a better antenna) to keep you in touch with your friends the few times a year you ride with them.
Having stuff bouncing around the cab Jerry rigged don't float. Sorry. I would rather go without. The last thing I want is a radio coming off the floor and clocking me in the head if the vehicle took a tumble. Things in the cab space need a home or a mount.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Question....

Option B.

I could have twins, something like the Stryker SR-94HPC modded for 11m at the correct power levels of course, and a AnyTone AT-778UV. They are the same exact case as I can tell. I could swap radios for different trips or whatever. I'm not sure what the easiest way would be to deal with the antenna situation either.

Terrible Idea...

It works great.

Anytone AT778UV on top
Anytone Apollo II (10/11 Meter AM/FM) on bottom... The Apollo II is the same as the Stryker, but cheaper

Don't mind the blue thing, it is just a small space heater....

This is the setup currently in my Rental Car. Antennas are:
CB: Mag Mount President Virginia on the Roof
UHF/VHF: TRAM Truck Lip NMO Mount with a TRAM 1181 140mhz-170mhz + 430mhz-470mhz dual band
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RadioSetup.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	289292   Click image for larger version

Name:	RadioSetupAntenna.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	289294  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reverend Bow For This Useful Post: