Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Day Late and a Dollar Short 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 698 02-23-2019 12:34 PM
Hello from Colorado! Newbie need some guidance aspendog New Member Introduction 24 12-09-2018 04:01 PM
Time of day to move around? Aerindel Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 04-14-2018 03:31 AM
For the EMP "experts" and nuclear preppers paramilusmc Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 86 03-21-2018 01:01 PM
50 years since six day war. 5 June 1967 Jframe General Discussion 1 06-05-2017 06:43 PM

Old 05-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Hiker

Default June Field day

Advertise Here

I am going to participate in my first field day this year. Took the weekend off for it. June 22nd and 23rd. going out on the 21st to help set things up. I have read some articles people wrote about field days, and especially their first field days, and the pitfalls they ran into. I plan on running a simple station because, well, that is what I have available for portable use that I can power off grid. 20 watt radio max, tuner, battery bank, solar, 2 antennas, basically using a buddipole and a 40/80 meter NVIS antenna on an 18' painters pole mast. Perhaps not the greatest set-up, but it will be my emcomm kit, so train like you will be when you need it, right? I will also be using my laptop (and perhaps digital, if I get it working.) I bought an antenna switch-box at a hamfest last year, and have yet to use it. I just got my extra rolls of RG8U coax cable. Now I have everything to get set-up and practice setting up that set-up. Still using my manual antenna tuner, along with my antenna analyzer. There are some minor issues to work out, but at least I am set-up to be making contacts. I also got my harbor freight aluminum framed chair with table and the 10X10 canopy.

I am just curious on how you guys plan on running, if you are running, and if anyone is really excited for field day this year (especially if it is your first field day.) Figured I would start a thread to get peoples thoughts, opinions, and maybe some guidance. Best of luck to all.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Prepared

I love field day. I just wish it wasn't during the hottest two days of the year.

One thing I have learned from it is that you can have all the plans and lists you want and you'll leave something out. If you think you will not, just try it. Don't set up in the back yard because it is too easy to go back into the garage and grab that one thing you forgot. Practice everything that is important to you. My first recent field day, I forgot the AC power cable for my power supply. Fortunately for me, it was a standard PC type power cable, but I still remember the embarrassment of having to borrow.

When I got back home from being in the service, my boss invited me to go camping and canoeing in Big Bend. During the daytime, the temperatures are like any desert, but within 15 minutes of sunset, it hit 25 degrees F in the Chisos basin. Being an old boy scout, I thought I was being prepared. My boss told me he had a tent, so I just needed a sleeping bag. I dug out my arctic down bag from high school and spread it out to make sure it still lofted fully. I also checked the zipper to make sure it would function.

The first problem I had at the campsite was my boss had brought a 2 man tent and a cot. The tent wasn't even big enough for his cot, let alone a second camper. I silently thanked the appropriate authority for the clear skies and spread my sleeping bag on a picnic table. Stripping to my long johns, I slipped into the bag, confident that I was a fully prepared camper.

The bag zipped up fine until it got to my shoulders, which were way too wide to fit into my high school sleeping bag. I ended up with my jacket over my chest and the bag warming the rest of me.

Field day is about proving to yourself that you are prepared.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Prepared

This will be my first year to co-lead Field Day for our radio club. I have checklists galore, but I am still depending upon the high experience level of our members to get us through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 01:53 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,032 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim View Post
I am going to participate in my first field day this year.
I am just curious on how you guys plan on running, if you are running, and if anyone is really excited for field day this year (especially if it is your first field day.)
I'll be going QRP this year: I don't think anyone can beat the multiplier that goes with QRP, and with the math on my side I think I'll do very well.

William Warren
Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,033 Times in 3,853 Posts

1 (maybe 2) E with solar charged batteries.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,028 Times in 4,515 Posts

I'll be running field day by myself this year from the mountains of central PA with a portable rig solar powered.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,493 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I will be going with the same group as the last three years. The last two were at Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park here in Nevada. Should be about six to eight of us, perhaps more.

I was not able to acquire the EmCom equipment I planned to have this year, due to medical bills, so it will be my Icom Marine radio converted for amateur use and an MFJ patio antenna the same as the last two years. A small solar power set up that gives me about 30% uptime on the radio plus enough power for the things that keep me alive.

The group, one of the prepper groups with which I am associated, will also be doing some field training other than the communications aspect. If there are enough additional, fairly new people, we will do some introductory training for them, as well.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:38 PM

I will be running my simple station again this year consisting on an Alinco DXSR8T, link dipole, batteries, and a couple solar panels. I usually set up for the weekend in a local campground here on the Va.-Ky. border. Good luck to everyone.
KE4ZDJ
Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,017 Times in 1,625 Posts

I no longer have an HF radio so if I participate it will be with the local Club here in New Braunfels. We usually have CW station running on a SDR radio, a digital modes station running off a Kenwood, and a voice station running off a Yaesu. 20 or more Hams usually show up but only a handful will actually key a radio. Its more of a social event these days. Club call is WB5LVI, look us up!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Hiker

So that was a fun weekend. I got confused on the classification. I was saying 1B because I was solo with one radio, and I was portable. I was battery power, but using 20W. I was confused because people kept saying "Are you working from your house? Oh, ok, then you are 1B... I may have been wrong, but I was using the field day packet for 2019 from the ARRL.

Anyhow, my whole adventure is on my web page, CogitoAprendo.com. I had a lot of fun, and my success is definitely not what most operators would call success.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:10 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,493 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

The group I was with did great. They made a large number of contacts, all over the US and several other nations.

I was in bad shape almost the whole trip and was not able to participate much at all. I am kind of lucky I made it down to the park and then back home. Probably would not have without the help of my friends.

They helped me out big time and still were able to do a great job with the radios.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 AM

I used to do field day with a group of friends and it was quite a thing to do. Lots of fun. Now, I make a point of stopping by at least one location where someone is set up. This year I stopped at two places. One was sponsored by a small radio club and they were mostly just sitting around and talking. That became boring pretty quick so I went to my second stop which was sponsored by a much larger radio club. This club knows how do do field day!!

They had two HF phone stations running, two HF digital and a vhf/uhf station for visitor talkin-ins and general local communications. They slept in shifts in rv's and tents. I was visiting early in the morning and ate in their food tent... Eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes and coffee. I think I'll join this club.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,051 Times in 1,254 Posts

Ours was good and a lot of fun as always. We didn't do as well on contacts this year due mainly to an antenna problem on the overnight.
I always stay for the duration and just nap in my vehicle now and then. Because there wasn't as much to do this time I actually got a full nights sleep.
We had 4 stations and made contacts on HF, Digital and UHF/VHF satellite. A couple of the guys racked up an impressive number of CW contacts. One station ran on solar/battery the whole time and the rest on generator.
I love Field Day. It's a good drill and a good quick test of short term preps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Rustler of jimmies

Quote:
So that was a fun weekend. I got confused on the classification. I was saying 1B because I was solo with one radio, and I was portable. I was battery power, but using 20W. I was confused because people kept saying "Are you working from your house? Oh, ok, then you are 1B... I may have been wrong, but I was using the field day packet for 2019 from the ARRL.

Anyhow, my whole adventure is on my web page, CogitoAprendo.com. I had a lot of fun, and my success is definitely not what most operators would call success.
Im a little late but if you were working from "home" you would have been 1E not 1B even though you said portable. I would think portable would mean you werent at your home QTH...maybe at a park etc...

My 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Hiker

I was not home. I was on the in-laws property out in one of their fields... I wish I had some property... lol. I was so confused on the codes people were using because it did not match up at all with what the manual for field day said...

Thank you for your input, though. It took me an hour of listening and looking through the manual to figure out what we were actually reporting... I may have on my first contact, when they asked class, I may have said extra... I may have also felt really dumb shortly after when I got to that part of the manual...

Learning experience. I was also mad that I did not get to participate in the 13 colonies. One of the few times PA is needed.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Rustler of jimmies

Quote:
I was not home. I was on the in-laws property out in one of their fields... I wish I had some property... lol. I was so confused on the codes people were using because it did not match up at all with what the manual for field day said...

Thank you for your input, though. It took me an hour of listening and looking through the manual to figure out what we were actually reporting... I may have on my first contact, when they asked class, I may have said extra... I may have also felt really dumb shortly after when I got to that part of the manual...

Learning experience. I was also mad that I did not get to participate in the 13 colonies. One of the few times PA is needed.
No harm no foul! Best this you can do is write it down so its infront of you when you are operating...meaning your call, operating class and ARRL section.

I didnt do 13 colonies this year either but I will try to remember the PA QSO party towards the end of the year. Maybe you can try your hand at that?