Book Review: SAS Survival Handbook, 3rd Ed. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 PM

Default Book Review: SAS Survival Handbook, 3rd Ed.

Advertise Here

Most people who have prepped for a while have at least heard of this book and I’m sure many of you have it. It’s written by John “Lofty” Wiseman a former SAS operator who taught survival skills to other SAS members. He’s apparently an old-timer, mentioning operations in pre-Vietnam War era Indonesia.

This book was exactly what I expected it to be. It’s one of the best comprehensive survival / bushcraft books I’ve seen. This book is oriented more toward survival or bugout situations although some of the information can be applied by people who choose to bug-in.

Pros
•This book covers just about every aspect of wilderness survival from fire building to fishing to orienteering.
•Judging by the material I’m highly familiar with, the author knows his s**t. Too many prepper books are filled with BS and conjecture. Reading most of the material makes me think the author actually practiced the skills.
•The book has excellent color plates showing edible, poisonous and medicinal plants, some of which are found in North America.

Cons
•Some of the information is simply too brief to be of much use. For example, he covers how to build a log cabin in two pages while the Foxfire books contain over 30 detailed pages on the subject.
•Like many survivalist books, the author seems to have a fondness for complicated traps. Some are even Rube Goldberg like. Do any of these really work? I’ve seen a ton of Youtube videos on trapping but the funny thing is I rarely see anything caught in the traps.
•The material in the book isn’t specific to North America. Thus there are many pages showing the flora of Southeast Asia which is interesting but not particularly relevant.

I would consider this book a “must have” is you are planning on bugging out to the wilderness or even if you just live in a rural area or on the edge of one. It’s also seems useful for non-preppers who want to develop basic survival skills.

https://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-...s%2C351&sr=8-3
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 01:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 27,684 Times in 6,564 Posts

One of the first books I bought when I started prepping. As OP said mostly for wilderness survival or bugging in but, at the very least, it gets your mind thinking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,695 Times in 791 Posts

I've always collected and enjoyed materials that related to all those crazy alphabet agencies Churchill was crazy about. There was a self-defense and hand-to-hand combat manual that was written by a guy who had been a cop in Shanghai China I think,
Every move in the book either began or ended with some form of "and then you kick your adversary in the testicles." Even if you cut the other guy's throat, before he bled out, you should kick him in the testicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 01:15 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,517 Times in 8,140 Posts

I dont know what edition I have but I keep a copy in my BOB and have the app on my phone. It's a great resource to have.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 01:20 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 27,162 Times in 6,851 Posts

I have the SAS book and Army Survival Manual Book, but the book I find more useful is:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,108 Posts

Fairbairn was the the cop in china, he designed the famous fairbairn sykes commando knife, a long thin dagger.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:35 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,517 Times in 8,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
Fairbairn was the the cop in china, he designed the famous fairbairn sykes commando knife, a long thin dagger.
You know, the only reason I got the fairbairn reference is from the Web Griffin series The Corps. Great books. The main character Carrie's one.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Old 06-09-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Walker View Post
I have the SAS book and Army Survival Manual Book, but the book I find more useful is:

The Back to Basics book is on Amazon but they want $44 for the 1980s version and the same for the revised 2nd ed. which seems steep to me. Any idea how this book compares to Foxfire which has a lot of useful information but also a lot of noise?

Also, is it worthwhile to have both the SAS book and the U.S. Army manual? I have about a half dozen PDFs from the army and marines that date to the 1980s. They cover bushcraft, winter survival, orienteering, etc. I don't want to pay for the Army book if I essentially have it already.