Let's Assume For The Moment That It's A Pandemic... - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experts: Global Pandemic Will Happen AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 2 01-29-2018 10:40 AM
Pandemic! And an overwhelmed medical system zooeyhll Manmade and Natural Disasters 61 07-03-2017 08:33 AM

Old 07-29-2018, 08:39 PM

Advertise Here

In response to the post; I would of course be thankful to be alive, and saddened at lost lives. I don't rejoice in the collapse of society and it's amenities, and don't celebrate the millions if not more dead. But, I'd be prepared for it.

On another note; I did a GIS project overlaying hospital capacity with city population. Forget anything black death oriented; you get a widespread bug with a death rate above the average flu season, and the system will collapse.
Capacity vs population was mortifying.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bunker John For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker John View Post
In response to the post; I would of course be thankful to be alive, and saddened at lost lives. I don't rejoice in the collapse of society and it's amenities, and don't celebrate the millions if not more dead. But, I'd be prepared for it.

On another note; I did a GIS project overlaying hospital capacity with city population. Forget anything black death oriented; you get a widespread bug with a death rate above the average flu season, and the system will collapse.
Capacity vs population was mortifying.
This is a very good point. Morbidity & mortality will depend on *what* buggies you’re dealing with.

I know most of us don’t have agar & plates, let alone an incubator and microscope to ID stuff, but (except for virus’ like influenza), *usually* if it’s not sudden onset fever, etc., it’ll not be a situation for antibiotics; just supportive care while the body fights it off.

Also, I don’t want to insult anyone’s intelligence, cause y’all are some very smart folks here (which is why I lurked forever lol), but a big risk *any age* is meningococcal—it’s spread just as easily as strep— sharing food/drinks, coughing etc. The scary thing is it tends to get ICU bed bad in less than 48 hours.

I was a bit surprised talking w/other parents that they usually didn’t know this. It’s one PSA I would support.

The vaccine is a 3 series (like Gardisal or Hep B etc). I’m not sure how long immunity is conferred; but for the state my kid’s attending college, it’s mandatory, and there’s a “window” of no more than 5 years between the booster shots in that state law.

Just like many other vaccines, it doesn’t last for a lifetime, but when we did the health forms & we’re looking into it, I didn’t find any definitive info. Obviously this is more serious than a viral GI bug, so I’m curious & still looking, but if anybody has a credible link, I’d love the info.

Last edited by Yankeechick; 07-29-2018 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yankeechick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 10:00 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,991 Times in 7,731 Posts

The world has seen such things. Various plagues that swept thru Europe and the Middle East took out inconceivable numbers and percentages of people.

I think the survivors would have a lot of their own problems such as food, clean water, diseases, rats, wild dogs, lack of power/electricity, and so forth. Probably enough good fuel to last a year, and then what?

A lot of skilled trades would die off - doctors, fuel refinery engineers, electrical grid engineers, firefighters, food production, police, sanitation, etc.

It would be a real struggle with a host of unique problems. Millions of dead bodies rotting and probably massive rat and wild dog infestations everywhere.

Violence, and Mad Max type gangs would sprout up due to lawlessness. I'd fear capture and slavery or worse.

It could be a very scary time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco85132 View Post
Let's Assume For The Moment That It's A Pandemic...

And you are of celtic stock, the kind that survived the black plague, have a strong immunity to whatever bug that it was and you and your family survived.

95% of the people are dead it seems.
Most of the population are dead, the majority of the rest of them took off to find Panacea, and it's just you and your loved ones.
It's funny how these little fantasies always involve something like "almost everybody died, but MY family didn't."

You survived because of that celtic immunity. Maybe your kids inherited it. Your wife didn't. She just happened to be celtic too?
Old 09-03-2018, 05:55 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,811 Times in 7,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantagecp View Post
It's funny how these little fantasies always involve something like "almost everybody died, but MY family didn't."

You survived because of that celtic immunity. Maybe your kids inherited it. Your wife didn't. She just happened to be celtic too?
Why would he marry any woman who wasn't celtic? They're clearly inferior. Are you accusing him of race/ethnicity mixing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,762 Times in 6,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco85132 View Post
The Stand was the only book of his that I actually liked. I am a voracious reader...I consume books...but I honestly never thought he was as great as others seem to think he is.
The dark tower series is worth the time. While not a traditional end of the world story like the stand, it's definitely shtf material.

As to your original op, no, I wouldn't mind. Would probably spend the first year building up my future kingdom before starting the search for more people.
The Following User Says Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Gettin By

Thanked 1,578 Times in 652 Posts

I wouldn't per say enjoy the op scenario, but it wouldn't be worst case for me either. With the numbers the OP gave that would leave me with 1.2 people per sq mile in the county I live in.

I am fortunate in that my water system would continue to function and my propane tank is never below 1/2 so I would continue to have hot water and use the wood stove for heat/cooking when needed.

I do believe though that I would "suit up" as the case may be and head to the nearest town to see what resources could be secured before other survivors moving through got the same idea.

I agree that information would be a priority from local as well as international sources. I have this covered with am/fm as well as being a HAM radio operator I have my HF station for receiving international broadcasts. The majority of my power is solar/wind so no issues with power.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Hiker

Why would I be depressed. Lets see.
No more traffic jams.
No more Kardashains or reality tv
No more wars or douchebags to deal with.
Planet gets to heal no more destruction and paving over every inch of the planet.
Imagine walking Any beach in solitude and no light pollution, millions of stars visible from your back yard.
The utter silence with just the music of nature. Walking everywhere you want with dogs in tow.
No more work. You officially retired and you can enjoy time without annoying *******s etc..
You see on the news the **** people do to eachother, even pets,etc. its disgusting.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,695 Times in 791 Posts

First, since there was no cure, most likely the cause/s and/or vector/s were never identified. Since the OP survived either because of his heredity, which isn't very likely, or because he isolated himself, or just from dumb luck, who's to know if the disease is carried by water molecules, fleas, cats, dogs, people, or a some combination of them?
During the Black Death that came close to wiping out Western Civilization, people killed cats and dogs because they noticed that they were present in higher-than-normal numbers in areas with the highest numbers of fatalities. Turns out that the reason cats and dogs flourished in areas with the highest casualty rates was that they preyed on the rats that carried the fleas that carried the disease, therefore, when people killed the cats and dogs, they increased the likelihood that they would catch the disease.
In this OP's scenario, if fleas carried the disease, the rat population would probably increase for months after the initial human die-off because rats would have little or no competition for the remaining food, which would include dead humans as well as the animals that depended on humans for food, like pets, livestock, etc.
Therefore, the decision to go to the local Walmart and stock up on canned goods could be the last one a person would ever make. Furthermore, the trip to the grocery store would most likely bring the disease back to the rest of the family.
The 95% casualty rates in the OP's scenario implies that the disease was never really understood. For that reason, my first foray would be to a diving shop so I could rig up a nearly impenetrable HAZMAT suit, complete with oxygen supply, which would provide some sort of safety for my scrounging expeditions. After loading a semi trailer with canned goods, bleach and water, I'd head to the most isolated place I could find where I'd stay until I absolutely had to make another provision run.
Novels like "The Stand" aren't very valuable as a means of understanding pandemics.
There are lots of books that describe outbreaks like the Black Death. One of my favorites is "Justinian's Flea," by Rosen, which describes a plague outbreak that occurred seven centuries before the Black Death and changed history in ways that still impact the world today. I couldn't put the book down. It is more entertaining and alarming than "The Stand," because the events detailed in the book really happened. If the ancient ships and camel caravans were replaced by 747s and cruise ships, a similar calamity could happen today, except the effects would be world wide.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,078 Times in 606 Posts

Yeah, you pretty much have to flee from populated areas even if the disease spread only human to human (e.g. smallpox) & thus died out with the hosts, since decaying human bodies pose their own biohazard.

And there won't be just a few...try hundreds to thousands in even a small town...up to hundreds of thousands in the cities here but millions in the largest megapoli.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,167 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
, my first foray would be to a diving shop so I could rig up a nearly impenetrable HAZMAT suit, complete with oxygen supply, which would provide some sort of safety for my scrounging expeditions.
Dive/SCUBA (and FD SCBA) cylinders are filled with compressed AIR not oxygen. Filtered atmospheric air filter to class D or E and packed into a cylinder that will last you an hour or less.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,162 Times in 5,698 Posts

Oxygen bottles for the breathing impaired will last several hours depending on the settings.
I have several seeing I have just such a patient I care for .
Refiling wold be another issue .
We have a machine for this air but I would have to compress it into the bottles .
Compressors are available , some are sold for refilling Pre Charged Pneumatic air guns .
4K PSI .
I have Tyvex jump suits and booties and masks, gloves , and geiger counter in the event it is necessary to venture out .
Rule is , Life is Not Fair.
Other rule is ,God is not bound to these rules.
My life's living proof.
A person can take all the precautions and die of something completely unexpected .
I had family/friends die at every age, birth to old age.
I do my part and I learn better ways to do things and prepare with the full expectation that some one else may well enjoy the fruits of my labors. that's fine, especially if it fit's God's plan. .