Frightening Drug-Resistant Infection Cropping Up Around The World: Candida Auris - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Doctor wants to drug test me because I take prescribed pain pills RKW General Discussion 69 09-26-2018 03:51 PM
My Survival Theme Song or How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse buckonbeach Books, Movies & Stories 0 04-15-2018 04:12 PM
Albert pike and the 3 world wars john thebaptist Controversial News and Alternative Politics 15 02-13-2017 12:06 PM

Old 04-07-2019, 04:13 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,495 Times in 5,592 Posts
Default Frightening Drug-Resistant Infection Cropping Up Around The World: Candida Auris

Advertise Here

I normally don't worry too much about viruses or diseases in the context of SHTF. Nothing ever came of the ebola scare a few years ago. But here is a new one. Candida auris: https://www.dailywire.com/news/45644...ing-ashe-schow

Quote:
Candida auris, a fungus that was recently discovered but has been identified in patients around the world. The fungus is most deadly to those with already weak immune systems.
It is NOT a virus. It's a fungal infection that gets inside your body and rots your internal organs:

Quote:
What makes his case so frightening is that after his death, doctors tested his room and discovered the fungus was everywhere.

“Everything was positive — the walls, the bed, the doors, the curtains, the phones, the sink, the whiteboard, the poles, the pump,” Dr. Scott Lorin, president of the Brooklyn branch, told the Times. “The mattress, the bed rails, the canister holes, the window shades, the ceiling, everything in the room was positive.”

The hospital had to use “special cleaning equipment” and even had to remove part of the ceiling and floors to get rid of the fungus.
They don't know where it originated from, and it is fairly deadly, with a 45% death rate in NYC:

Quote:
Reports of C. auris have come from Venezuela, Spain, Great Britain, India, Pakistan, and South Africa, according to the Times. In the U.S., cases in Illinois and New Jersey have also been reported, as well as others in New York.

The Centers for Disease Control said it “identified 51 clinical case-patients and 61 screening case-patients” in New York alone. The CDC reported 45% of the clinical case-patients died within 90 days.
One mistake in the article is that they say "Infections like C. auris have been able to thrive due to the overuse of antibiotics" but this is incorrect. C. auris is a fungal infection, and fungal infections are not treated with antibiotics! They are treated with anti-fungals! My wife, who is a nurse, made sure to point this out as we discussed it last night.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 05:52 AM
Prepared

Just in the last month I have done some reading about C Auris. This is a very scary thing. The CDC is not saying much about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S Roche For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 06:46 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,360 Times in 20,074 Posts

At this hospital, they found that re-useable thermometers were the vector for the C Auris.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
I normally don't worry too much about viruses or diseases in the context of SHTF. Nothing ever came of the ebola scare a few years ago. But here is a new one. Candida auris: https://www.dailywire.com/news/45644...ing-ashe-schow

It is NOT a virus. It's a fungal infection that gets inside your body and rots your internal organs:

They don't know where it originated from, and it is fairly deadly, with a 45% death rate in NYC:

One mistake in the article is that they say "Infections like C. auris have been able to thrive due to the overuse of antibiotics" but this is incorrect. C. auris is a fungal infection, and fungal infections are not treated with antibiotics! They are treated with anti-fungals! My wife, who is a nurse, made sure to point this out as we discussed it last night.

Actually it is the use of antibiotics that often leads to Candida infections. That is probably what they were referring to. It is just that Candida albicans is the usual culprit because it lives on and in our bodies. This C. auris seems to have been around for a long time but was not prevalent until recently.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drray777 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 09:42 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,493 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

The article I read indicated that it was the overuse of anti-fungal treatments that has created the more resistant strain of the fungus. It did, as was stated above, also indicated that because the fungal infection was often treated with antibiotics due to misdiagnosis (and fear of having to tell a patient they had no clue what to do), that antibiotics have played a minor role in the way the infections have become worse, but is certainly not a major reason, the way the misuse of the anti-fungals are.

Whatever the overall reasons behind the current situation, it is one I am taking very seriously, as I have three of the factors that make a person more susceptible to getting the infection and being able to pull through no matter what the treatment.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,140 Posts

C. Auris is just one of a growing number of Multi Drug Resistant Organisms (MDRO's) which are becoming a bigger problem due, in part, to evolution and adaption over many years but also to the increasing use of antibiotics and anti-fungals.

Many of the people reading this will eventually develop compromised immune systems as they age and, if infected, will have no way to defeat these organisms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rriley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 04:34 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriley View Post
C. Auris is just one of a growing number of Multi Drug Resistant Organisms (MDRO's) which are becoming a bigger problem due, in part, to evolution and adaption over many years but also to the increasing use of antibiotics and anti-fungals.

Many of the people reading this will eventually develop compromised immune systems as they age and, if infected, will have no way to defeat these organisms.
There are still, and always will be, natural remedies for fungal infections, as well as ways to boost the immune system.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drray777 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 04:43 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
The article I read indicated that it was the overuse of anti-fungal treatments that has created the more resistant strain of the fungus. It did, as was stated above, also indicated that because the fungal infection was often treated with antibiotics due to misdiagnosis (and fear of having to tell a patient they had no clue what to do), that antibiotics have played a minor role in the way the infections have become worse, but is certainly not a major reason, the way the misuse of the anti-fungals are.

Whatever the overall reasons behind the current situation, it is one I am taking very seriously, as I have three of the factors that make a person more susceptible to getting the infection and being able to pull through no matter what the treatment.

Just my opinion.
I have to disagree with you Jerry. Antibiotic use is one of the major causes of Candidiasis, not the use of antifungals.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC441005/

Drug resistance in the newly problematic Candida strain appears to be related to the over use of antifungal agents, but even that is a theory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drray777 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,360 Times in 20,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drray777 View Post
There are still, and always will be, natural remedies for fungal infections, as well as ways to boost the immune system.
Can you mention what they are?

We might be needing them soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Can you mention what they are?

We might be needing them soon.
I recommend a standard daily approach to supporting your immune system with supplements:

1 x multivitamin with minerals. The Wal-mart brand was pretty good when I was there.

500mg Vitamin C 1-2 x daily, or more if there are reasons.

50 mg of proanthocyanidins 1-2 x daily, (grape seed extract is usually the least expensive). These are powerful antioxidants and will protect the vitamin C.

Omega 3, such as flax seed oil, 1,000 mg per day.

B-complex 1 tab daily.

Calcium as indicated.

Other supplements as indicated by your underlying health.

As for antifungals, apple cider vinegar is good for both internal and external use.

Tea tree oil is the time tested external agent.

If you have these two, you are probably good for most things.

You can add others as you see fit...

https://www.consciouslifestylemag.co...ments-candida/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3459460/
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drray777 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,965 Times in 7,987 Posts

Quote:
Oregano oil comes to mind. You can buy capsules and take them daily for cheap. Swanson Vitamins make a good one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 12:53 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,493 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
I have to disagree with you Jerry. Antibiotic use is one of the major causes of Candidiasis, not the use of antifungals.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC441005/

Drug resistance in the newly problematic Candida strain appears to be related to the over use of antifungal agents, but even that is a theory.
Hm... Okay, I had not seen that report. The others I have read were more concerned with the use of anti-fungal treatments of foods and other items, with the result that the strains of the fungi became more and more resistant.

And, as I indicated, those reports downplayed the influence of the antibiotics on the mutations. I did not have time to read the full article you listed, but it looks like the use of antibiotics when a Candida infection is present makes the infection worse. I will read more of the article when I have more time and am not quite so out of it to find the references to the antibacterials causing some of the mutations.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention and correcting my misinformation. Members here deserve the best information available.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Jr. Member; Sr. Body

Thanked 3,033 Times in 452 Posts

Manuka honey, aka Medi-Honey, could help with a localized infection; systemic, that might be a whole other issue.

My wife's a nurse, and found quite a while ago, that the recipe of compromised (i.e. cancer patients, diabetics w/infected wounds, persons with central lines or PICC lines) getting a long course of antibiotics were prime candidates for fungal infections in skin folds, under dressings, skin with warm/moist/little air flow conditions, etc. Fungal areas were sometimes misdiagnosed as skin breakdown, pressure sores, reactions to antibiotics, rashes....Nope, fungus. Probably c. albicans, but I don't recall any definitive testing done for it; more often treated by presenting symptoms and history of antibiotic use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old_code For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 07:20 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,808 Times in 12,361 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 

Just for further reading here’s the CDC page on it https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/candida-auris/index.html
Old 04-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,509 Times in 1,028 Posts

To kind of bring the information together, I was reading an in depth article, cannot remember where (crs again). It was presented that in the environment, it is thought that the use of fungicides in big agriculture is contributing to the mutation/thriving of the fungus. In people, antibiotics can be a contributing factor due to upset in the gut flora. It is extremely difficult to eradicate in the environment, diluted hydrogen peroxide was used with fairly good sucess.

Sorry if this is in a previously quoted source, in a hurry and only read posts.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:21 AM
Survivor

Some of the effective disinfectants are:

Hydrogen peroxide based products
Chlorine based products
Iodine preps
70% Isopropyl alcohol and ethanol
Acetic acid, (vinegar)
Others, such as gluteraldehyde, that may be more medical facility applicable

Even the hand sanitizer that is alcohol based works, though Triclosan may not be as effective.

https://idsa.confex.com/idsa/2017/we...aper64034.html

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...62/core-reader

https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/candida-a...n-control.html

Also be aware of the contact times for each agent because it takes less tie for alcohol to work than other agents.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 AM
SoJer

Thanked 2,717 Times in 902 Posts

Yup, ACV!!!

jd