Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Book Review: Longavina Street: Life and Death in a Sarajevo Neighborhood Prepper_Ed Book Reviews 1 02-15-2019 09:08 PM
Book Review: The Survival Medicine Handbook Prepper_Ed Book Reviews 1 01-23-2019 07:47 AM
Book Review: Making things right by Ole Thorstensen obscurealien Book Reviews 0 01-16-2019 03:46 PM
Book Review - The Man from Sheep Mountain Alaskajohn Book Reviews 1 12-02-2017 04:23 PM
Review: Sawyer?s Treasure Book, by Ron Brooks AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-22-2017 12:30 PM

Old 02-15-2019, 07:20 PM

Default Book Review - Where There is No Doctor, revised ed.

Advertise Here

"Where There is No Doctor" is a classic austere medical handbook published by Hesperian. The first edition was written in the 1970s in Spanish and the book has since been translated into English and a few other languages. It's designed for use by natives in the developing world who lack access to modern health care. As such, it's writeen on a more basic level than most of the other medical reference books commonly used by preppers.

This book is often listed as a "must have" book for preppers for good reason and along with the Survival and Austere Medicine book and the Survival Medicine Handbook it's one of the most useful prepper medical manuals I've read.

Things I like about this book:
1) Fairly good description of many illnesses and injuries a prepper might encounter in a SHTF situation, along with suggestions for basic treatment.
2) Decent section on medications
3) Good section on hygiene, although most 1st world preppers probably know most of this information
4) Devotes more time to pregnancy / midwivery issues than the other two top prepper manuals. This is an often overlooked aspect of medical prepping. People will make babies no matter how bad things get.

Things I didn't like:
1) A bit too much time was spent on public health issues and basic nutrition issues. This is understandable given that the target audience are the residents of remote 3rd world villages but it's probably not too relevant for preppers.
2) There's a rather bizarre section on folk superstition with the abmonition not to rely on a witch for healing but not to kill her either (everyone knows witches must be killed!!)
3) The book assumes that modern medical care is downriver or over the mountains and that it's possible to transport seriously ill patients to a hospital. The Survival Medicine Handbook and the Austere Medicine book don't make this assumption and often give instructions on treating serious conditions that would be treated by a doctor outside a SHTF situation. Too often, Where There is No Doctor ends a discussion of a condition with the advice "seek medical care immediately".

There are several other books in this series which I don't have including one on childbirth, another on women's health, a veterinary handbook and a book on dealing with the issues of handicapped children. I own a copy of the dentistry book but haven't read it yet. Online chapters of the books may be found here: https://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/

Overall, this book is worth purchasing. I bought my print copy on Amazon for about $25. It's available in pdf form for free on the internet if you want to check it out but I'd invest in the print copy. Plus the money goes to a good cause.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Target Shooter

Nicely done. I usually recommend it for people who are literally just getting started and who don't have any medical training - yet. It is one of several I regard in that manner.

I must say though, the witch thing is hilarious.

Look forward to any future reviews.

RR
Old 02-16-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post
Nicely done. I usually recommend it for people who are literally just getting started and who don't have any medical training - yet. It is one of several I regard in that manner.

I must say though, the witch thing is hilarious.

Look forward to any future reviews.

RR
What are the other beginner books you recomend? Are there any assessment books that would be worthwhile for non-medical people?

I will probably never get a chance to practice any of the skills mentioned in the med books unless SHTF so whatever knowledge I gain will be mostly theory.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 PM
Target Shooter

I have yet to find something on assessment per se I would recommend without reservation for non-medical types but this makes my basic 5 for entry-level beginners.

RR

Pocket Companion for Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 7th Edition By Carolyn Jarvis, MSN, APN, CNP. W. B. Saunders, ISBN:0721697747 Copyright February 2015. Softcover, List price $56.95, 304 pp., Approx. 250 color photos and illustrations.

Frequently the weakest area for any untrained medical care provider will be the ability to perform a qualified health exam. Having a decent reference to guide you through the more unfamiliar aspects could prove invaluable. Basic and to the point it is still comprehensive without being overwhelming. For someone without formal medical training this is probably the easiest guide to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reasonable Rascal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 11:53 AM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,491 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Believe me, the admonition about witches is a valid concern in some areas of the world yet today.

In trying to get people to use the best options, one of which is the information in other sections of the book, reducing dependency on other methods that were/are often counter-productive, to say the least, is necessary.

And people do still go to the witch doctor, or in many cases, a witch, with no doctor implied, but still accepting various potions and spells as medical treatments.

What they are saying in the book is: "No, do not go to the witch for treatment, but do not kill her/him just because we say not to use their suggestions."

I mean, these are doctors writing this. They have no wish to create a situation where a person could easily be killed based on them saying to use our treatments, not your local person's treatment, which in their mind means that that person, the witch, is now an evil person and must be killed.

There are still people with very basic beliefs that have no skills at discerning nuances of ideas and behaviors. It is black and white for them. Good guy or bad guy that must be killed.

Just my opinion.