Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I being too picky with Ar15 gas blocks? MagnumWill Firearms General Discussion 14 01-18-2019 02:36 PM
Oldest Gas Blackrock Vehicles & Transportation 29 08-07-2018 12:19 AM
Power Output Reduction if using Natural Gas joe_schmoe Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 09-30-2017 09:27 AM
Hurricane Sandy A.A.R. Center Mass Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 06-07-2017 03:18 PM
Using the gas in my car tank to power my generator NJPrepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 02-01-2017 03:23 AM

Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 AM
Secure

Default No gas?

Advertise Here

Moving to the Newport area and just saw they've cut the gas to 7100 homes in the island. Single digit temps. Governor says to go to warming shelters ... hmm.

What might be a smart way to prep for no gas if your heat, water and cooking are all gas dependent?
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 AM
Target Shooter

Woodstove, Propane heater kerosene heater.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Galt 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 AM
Prepared

Clothes. Treat it as if you were camping. Being indoors provides shelter, proper clothing and blankets go a very long way in retaining body heat. Proper use of a portable heater in an isolated area also works. Just heating a single room is much easier than the whole house.
The Following User Says Thank You to zebra007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 08:11 AM
Prepared

A single Aladdin Lamp will generate on the order of 4,000 BTUs.
Three or four of these would make a real difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmussack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,602 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt 1 View Post
Woodstove, Propane heater kerosene heater.
This ^^^^^

Clothing or heating just a single room does not prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting, and in single digit temps makes for damn long days and nights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneeky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 AM
Prepared

That is totally true, wasn't thinking about the house.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,522 Times in 8,718 Posts

All my water pipes have heat tapes. I can make electricity. I can drain the entire plumbing system by opening a few valves. Have several gallons of RV antifeeze for the p-traps.

I have big cans on the wood stove for melting snow and ice (20 gallons). Used them for 7 years without grid power or running water. Solar shower bag full of hot melted snow on the back at -20 is an interesting experience. I can cook on the wood stove or the propane cook top. Nice assortment of cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. Stainless steel All American pressure canner with reusable Tattler lids. Need more jars. Have LED lighting with battery bank backup. Can be solar powered except in the winter - no sun here when there is snow on the ground.

Lots of sleeping bags, 1 rated down to 25 below, plus many wool blankets, elk hides with the hair on. Leak proof hot water bottles.

When I get back this spring I'll build the heat recovery system for the generator waste exhaust heat - easily 50% of the fuel $ are there. I'm toying with adding a rocket mass heater to the mix. I can get around 10 cords of board ends delivered to $500. All the little blocks can go in the regular wood stove and all the long stuff could go in the rocket. No cutting only bagging and stacking the wood.

Hard coal was my cheapest winter heat, about $200. Stinks inside and out IMHO. I have lived here for almost 30 years. Been in the neighborhood for nearly 50.

I have various lanterns, electric, propane and even a military gasoline. Camp stoves from military gasoline 1 and 2 burners, a cast iron 2 burner propane unit, a 2 burner Coleman fuel to converted to propane - one of the few propane stoves that will work at 25 below because the fuel is preheated over the burner. I can charge batteries with solar. In the winter I would need to transport the panels about 400 yards on the sled to get to sun. I have the adapter to run my laptop on 12 V.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post: