D.I.Y. M.R.E.s....a pictorial.....*OFFICIAL THREAD* - Page 20 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official XD-XDm thread¯ Gunner65 Pistol and Revolver Forum 252 08-07-2019 07:26 PM
Official 9/11 thread Jim Boonie Site Information & Suggestion Box 0 07-17-2012 05:28 PM
OM NOM NOM: The official Thread! Nightwing Jokes, Humor & Music 33 04-03-2012 02:32 PM

Old 02-18-2016, 02:49 AM
Trapper

Thanked 7,639 Times in 758 Posts

Advertise Here

The first time I looked into buying MREs and saw the price, I said screw that. I can do better on my own.

Just about every non-perishable you buy has a 2-3 year shelf life. Canned goods, bag of rice, pasta, powdered milk, powdered eggs, even instant pancake mix, instant oatmeal, instant breakfast mix, etc. Read reviews on various instant products and try some out beforehand before you buy too many. I've just discovered Ensure shakes, and I'm addicted. Walmart mail order seems to have the best price so far.

So it makes more sense to simply stock up on things you normally eat, and just keep your stock rotated so nothing goes out of date. You're not wasting money, and probably even saving some when you stock up during sales. If nothing happens, you have not wasted a dime. If you do wake up to a disaster, you are already prepped for food and don't have to scramble to the store to face long lines and possibly looting and rioting. You can concentrate on other matters, whatever needs to be taken care of or fixed, gathering family members, etc.

The only real advantage of military MREs is portability. So if you have to bug out, then they are worthwhile, but I don't plan on having to leave my house unless it's a mandatory evacuation. Most MREs don't taste all that great, and a lot of people get indigestion from them after a few meals. Sure, they are edible, and if you have nothing else you will want them, but if you have better food in your stockpile then you leave them for last.

Just make sure you have to way to cook/heat food. A BBQ pit, camping stove, etc, along with fuel, matches, things like that. Google "rocket stoves." They are outstanding, use very little wood for fuel, simple to build from 4 cinder blocks that you can set up anywhere, or even make one from instant cement mix. For most meals you will need to boil water, (rice/pasta/instant mixes), and for a family will need more than one burner to heat up multiple foods. So you get multiple cinder blocks and make multiple rocket stoves.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 02:51 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,085 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by St8kout View Post
The first time I looked into buying MREs and saw the price, I said screw that. I can do better on my own.

Just about every non-perishable you buy has a 2-3 year shelf life. Canned goods, bag of rice, pasta, powdered milk, powdered eggs, even instant pancake mix, instant oatmeal, instant breakfast mix, etc. Read reviews on various instant products and try some out beforehand before you buy too many. I've just discovered Ensure shakes, and I'm addicted. Walmart mail order seems to have the best price so far.

So it makes more sense to simply stock up on things you normally eat, and just keep your stock rotated so nothing goes out of date. You're not wasting money, and probably even saving some when you stock up during sales. If nothing happens, you have not wasted a dime. If you do wake up to a disaster, you are already prepped for food and don't have to scramble to the store to face long lines and possibly looting and rioting. You can concentrate on other matters, whatever needs to be taken care of or fixed, gathering family members, etc.

The only real advantage of military MREs is portability. So if you have to bug out, then they are worthwhile, but I don't plan on having to leave my house unless it's a mandatory evacuation. Most MREs don't taste all that great, and a lot of people get indigestion from them after a few meals. Sure, they are edible, and if you have nothing else you will want them, but if you have better food in your stockpile then you leave them for last.

Just make sure you have to way to cook/heat food. A BBQ pit, camping stove, etc, along with fuel, matches, things like that. Google "rocket stoves." They are outstanding, use very little wood for fuel, simple to build from 4 cinder blocks that you can set up anywhere, or even make one from instant cement mix. For most meals you will need to boil water, (rice/pasta/instant mixes), and for a family will need more than one burner to heat up multiple foods. So you get multiple cinder blocks and make multiple rocket stoves.
You should do more reading than expounding at this point because a good deal of your information is based on food marketing, not reality.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Trapper

Thanked 7,639 Times in 758 Posts

Actually I have done a lot of reading. I've read that MRE's should not be consumed more than six months, probably because of their high salt content used to make them palatable. I've read that a number of people have indigestion problems from them (not surprising since some people also can't stomach fast food).

But anyway, while I don't claim to be some hard core grizzled survivalist who can live off the land eating grubs and plants, what I suggested is a common sense way to store some food without breaking the bank. I grew up in hurricane country and ate fairly well during the two weeks we were without power after Katrina, compared to some of my neighbors eating cold green beans out of a can after all their food spoiled in the fridge. It took at least a week for a few stores to reopen, and they were flooded with people. I had powered milk for my cereal, coffee, instant oatmeal, prego spaghetti, beef stew, chili, tuna fish, rice, instant potatoes au gratin, peanut butter sandwiches, various crackers, chips, and munchies, and other stuff I can't remember offhand.

Point being is I already had most of this on hand and didn't have to run to the store at the last minute because I hate grocery shopping, so I stock up when I do go. Like I said, most non-perishable have a 2-3 year shelf life. If you stay stocked up you are already ahead of the crowd, and your money is not wasted as you continue to use up what you have. So many of my neighbors assumed everything would be open almost the next day or so, and they were wrong.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to St8kout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,345 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
You should do more reading than expounding at this point because a good deal of your information is based on food marketing, not reality.
Would you please be a little more specific, Mel? What did he say that's not good advice? All I saw was buy what you like to eat, buy extra when it's on sale, and a lot of food is good beyond its labeled expiration...pretty standard advice around here. What am I missing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2016, 10:03 AM

This is some really great information, thanks a bunch! I think I might get started putting together my own MREs, this should really help save some money!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:46 PM

thats great can you show us the different ration packs you made. what is the oldest meal you have made like how was the taste and how did you feel about the over all meal. thanks for your time outstanding job young man. loner
Old 08-13-2016, 07:02 AM

What a great thread, its certainly given me a few ideas. Ive even had a go at making up half a dozen today, just basic contents and only vacum sealed then into a food grade bucket, but then l was planning these for use this summer if required. More intended as emergency grab and go meal packs than for long term storage.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:24 AM

Very helpful thread.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:22 AM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,497 Times in 5,592 Posts

Great thread, I'm posting so that I can find it again.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadmkr View Post
One other trick we've done with dry ingredients is printing a 3x5 index card or stiff paper and put it in the bag. In addition to listing the contents & expiration date(s) you can put any preparation directions/suggestions on the back of the card. No external labels to rub off or get wet and its easier to reuse the bag since it isn't already written on....
Besides, my handwriting sucks so I prefer to type

HTH
Chris in VA
The index card can also be used for tender to start your camp fire
Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicktheMedic View Post
Good looking work dirtyape. I too was inspired by urban cowboys thread. I think this is going to catch on.

N-
I can't get any of his pics to display
Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exspooky View Post
Take the bag you sealed the meal into and place in the hot water you boil ,use clothespin or HD paper clip to keep closed standing upright .The transfer of heat is quick and you just eat from the bag setting in the pot/cup/tinfoilpan holds your menu like a separated compartment tray or bowl. NO mess /cleanup .You don't leave trash ,do you? It's bad for the environment and YOU if someone is tracking you.
...& use the hot water to make coffee, tea, hot chocolate etc.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Prepared

Default pics gone

any way to get the pics back? since from 09' my page says pics can't be found.
The Following User Says Thank You to spockmckoy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 AM

1. Food Dehydrator 2. home cooked 3. vacuum sealer. 4. enjoy
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM

Default making mre's

thats a dam good idea. glad i thought of that. just joking. outstanding idea. loner
The Following User Says Thank You to loner1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,929 Times in 7,974 Posts

Reviving the necrothread.

Got one of the local girls making up jerky for me on the halves. We were using deer meat, but I have her doing goat jerky now, and it's as good for flavor, and we'll see if it keeps as well. Vac-sealing it in plastic gives excellent shelf life, and it rehydrates well for use in cooked dishes.

Vac-sealed oatmeal works well for the long haul too.

A couple of the local fast food places have managers that will order me in extra condiments in their serving pack sizes so long as I reimburse 'em for the cost.

Have been using heavy-walled glass jars (the old beer bottle type) that take a old fashioned pry-off cap to keep my rice in. Twelve ounce jug keeps about the right amount of rice for a day's use....