Nurse Amy's Survival Medical Supply Kit List (Comprehensive!) - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dream Medical Supply List PrettyBadass Health, Fitness and First Aid 7 09-09-2014 04:46 PM
I attended Patriot Nurse's medical prep 101 and 201 class The Hammer Health, Fitness and First Aid 15 05-21-2014 08:27 PM
Review: Patriot Nurse Medical Prep 101 ZombieTactics Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 08-14-2013 05:55 PM
Comprehensive List Of GMO Products! Dude111 Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 11-18-2012 01:00 PM
Comprehensive list of possible SHTF Scenarios? Tap Water Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 03-04-2012 09:21 PM
A Comprehensive List of Urban Escape and Survival Pointers and Info andyhuk Urban Survival 18 06-17-2011 03:49 PM
Comprehensive medical kit shadow61 Health, Fitness and First Aid 15 09-19-2010 11:40 AM
The Comprehensive List of Obama name puns real wowwee Political News and Discussion 44 09-02-2010 12:59 PM
Somewhat Comprehensive Range List for S.C. Surliving Firearms General Discussion 9 03-19-2010 11:04 PM

Old 05-08-2016, 03:39 AM

Advertise Here

Not until Surgery Tray items do I see suction really come up.

Do you think stiff or and/soft catheters would be useful additions, perhaps ones I could attach to a syringe? What about a bulb syringe? Or does this stuff just not really get used enough?

I'm just a EMR student at this point with no real world experience to speak of so I value your input.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2016, 04:43 AM
Hunter

While I think what is side is more than likely overkill for practical use..

I say after living with someone that had a constant wound dependency i would nothing more than a field surgical kit is a mandatory inclusion and have enough to commit 1st aid for a number of days per person within your group.

As you will be without days without medical assistance I would also see if your local hospital has some sort of triage based training because if there is I be putting everyone within the family unit through the course... Failing that you might face issues...

Because in an emergency you will have issues..

I would also have something to takes notes for treatment with including a laptop...

You will need to document what you have done within your limited capacities so if you get to a doctor eventually they will know what has been done...

Have enough of a capacity cover and close a wound....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 09:52 PM

Great list, thank you. I would like to add Bentonite clay to make a thick paste with water for Mosquito bites, poison ivy, nettles, etc. It may work for stings but I haven't had any to test it on, luckily. It also makes a good natural tooth powder mixed with a little baking soda, cinnamon, and clove powder. A small baggie of the clay is light weight and goes a long ways.

Also, we use tea tree oil for all minor cuts and cat scratches, but it should not be covered with a band aid. It seems to eat up the skin if covered tightly.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:53 AM
The Forgotten

You can use a turkey baster for suction. Just get some cheap $1 basters and toss after use. I am an EMR working full time as a firefighter also and that is what I use. BTW when asked out EMR instructor said to use the basters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragon06 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 AM

Great ideas in this thread! Thanks to the amateurs and experts for their advice and opinions!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 AM

Wow! Impressive. I have a long way to go.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:44 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,492 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseAmyDrBones View Post
HI Folks! This is a list from our Survival Medicine Handbook (third edition, May 2016). It is our updated list from our second edition book, which is much more extensive than the supply list I posted earlier. The post was meant as home supplies, not for the Field Hospital or personal carry. I have provided you the entire list straight out of our new book so you can have it asap. I know there will be something I left out, but I feel really good about the list.
Jerry's lists from Raynor's books are excellent also! Raynor was a real pioneer in providing all of us with a real grasp on where to begin when accumulating medical supplies. Thanks Jerry for sharing them here. We all need to help each other become more medically prepared. It is a TEAM effort! Be safe, Nurse Amy
Thank you!

But I am not sure who Raynor is. I developed the list I posted over many years of research. I do not remember Raynor as a source, but my memory is none too good.

Thank you for all your hard work and sharing it with us.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:15 PM

Great list and thanks! I took their suture class a few years ago. I highly recommend it to anyone interested. I'm a paramedic, but you don't have to have that level of training to take away useful information and skills from the class.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Prepared

Bump because I'm doing another restock and need the list.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Hunter

What did you have before??

A complete med kit..

Old 12-03-2016, 01:49 AM

I agree this is a great thread with a very comprehensive list. As for triage training I read that most cities have a SERT team to respond to large scale emergencies that is mostly volunteer, but they provide some training. I am new to the forum here, but I'm an ER nurse and I have never seen hospitals offer that training to civilians. But that being said it doesn't hurt to ask. You may consider acquiring hazmat/Decon training somewhere as well. It will provide information concerning setting up and maintaining hot and cold zones properly to reduce cross contamination during dirty bomb, chemical attack, pandemic scenarios..
Old 12-03-2016, 03:37 AM

P-95 masks work better for blood and fluids air born matter than the n95's.
The n-95's are for dust.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deepins For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 06:03 AM
Ingloriously Deplorable

Thanked 6,472 Times in 1,916 Posts

Excellent thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockwell Torrey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Hunter

When designing the field kit always short, medium and long term wound care in mind reality in an emergency it can be days, weeks or months being able to access to a quack to repair..

Something to consider if you front a ed at the local hospital it well be days before you get seen

Old 05-02-2017, 08:44 PM

Default tooth ache

Ora-Jel, I recently woke in the middle of the night with a tooth that had abscessed. I didn't have anything at home to use so I had to drive to town in the middle of the night, (I live out in the country) to find a convenience store. I gladly paid $5 for a little tube, probably would have paid $20. I realize you can use the clove oil for tooth aches but Ora-Jel is a quick fix and can be used as a local anesthetic in a bind. Just a thought. (think about the movie Castaway, Tom Hanks would have killed for some.)