Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ebook advice Fighting-Chance Financial Forum 15 03-14-2017 06:52 PM
Help choose our next ebook tkinder Financial Forum 2 07-08-2014 09:31 PM
Cat and Dog First Aid: Free eBook sdprep Health, Fitness and First Aid 0 10-30-2013 08:43 PM
Ebook upload to Amazon, Smashwords, Kobo etc who's done it? Jaqhama Books, Movies & Stories 18 07-16-2013 12:16 PM
Amazon - 20% off in Sports and Outdoors with Amazon Visa Card, Eotech 512.A65 - $292 apps47inc For Sale 0 07-09-2012 03:57 PM
ebook reader technojunkie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 05-14-2011 09:36 PM
Interesting New eBook Hogleg Books, Movies & Stories 0 05-08-2011 07:53 AM
eBook sites mrbill02931194 Books, Movies & Stories 2 02-06-2011 09:02 AM
eBook Sources Cobalt60 Books, Movies & Stories 0 11-02-2009 07:39 AM

Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,648 Times in 1,748 Posts
Default Very affordable eBook formatter for Amazon and Smashwords

Advertise Here

Hi everyone

Just wanted to give some free advertising to Rik Hall...he's the chap who formats my eBooks for publication to Amazon, Smashwords and the other eBook platforms.

He really doesn't charge enough in my opinion.

US $45 is his normal fee, that's for an hour's work and normally Rik can format your entire novel in under an hour; yes, he's that good and that quick.

He includes everything in the formatting that the much more expensive formatting companies do, at a fraction of the cost.

Title and copyright pages, chapter links, italics, asterisk centering, etc.

He also converts your front cover file to a format that Amazon and Smashwords will accept.

Note that you will have to make your front cover at least 100 DPI.

If you don't know how to do that, ask me here and I will give you step by step directions on how to do it.
My wife is a real whiz at the DPI stuff.

Smashwords won't accept any cover less than 100 DPI now.

Rik bypasses the infamous Smashwords Meatgrinder and produces a much better book by doing so.

Here's Rik's website...he accepts payment via PayPal.

http://rikhall.com/

Don't worry if you have not followed Rik's preferred manuscript design, he is able to fix any and all errors in the document himself.

For example, I use the tab key a lot.

You can start new chapters on a fresh page by simply pressing the Ctrl and Shift keys at the same time, this creates a page break at the end of your last chapter.

For any of you who are looking to publish on the eBook platforms and have worried about how to correctly format your book...Rik is definitely the guy you want to be talking with to get it done quickly and professionally.

I figure I put enough effort into writing, editing and proof-reading my stories, without more time spent trying to format them for publication as well.

Cheers: Jaq
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaqhama For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM

You can by Wondershare Epub for 40 bux. Easy to use, just gotta chop your book up into html chapters and the software rebuilds them, complete with a directory. Not a lotta controls, its pretty simple software to use.

But i might be needing a cover designer soon. The cover of Calizona was recently featured on www.lousybookcovers.com. doh!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

I tried Calibre but it never worked quite right. The output would fail testing online and was chronically rejected by googles ebook engine. It is free, but it worked poorly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Adventurer

There's dozens of free ebook conversion software systems.

There are a finite number of Ebook formatters who work for more than reasonable prices and do an extremely fast and professional job.
Rik is at the top of the list as far as I'm concerned.

Why bother stuffing around trying to do everything yourself when for $45 bucks it's all done for you.

I put enough effort into my writing, I figure I shouldn't have to do the same for the formatting.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:23 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
You can by Wondershare Epub for 40 bux. Easy to use, just gotta chop your book up into html chapters and the software rebuilds them, complete with a directory. Not a lotta controls, its pretty simple software to use.

But i might be needing a cover designer soon. The cover of Calizona was recently featured on www.lousybookcovers.com. doh!
I just checked your front cover.

Mate, don't worry about it, it seems perfectly fine to me.
A real photograph is always going to be better than crappy computer generated art produced by an amateur graphic artist...and there's a million of those around on the front of Ebooks.

Your cover is nothing to worry about, I see some truly shocking covers every time I check out other Ebooks on Amazon.

In fact a number of covers that website complains about seem perfectly fine to me. I perused a number of them at length.
Just remember: Haters gotta hate, it's their reason to exist.

Ignore the poor deluded SOB's and they'll wither up and go away.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:30 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,508 Times in 10,290 Posts

Quote:
I tried Calibre but it never worked quite right. The output would fail testing online and was chronically rejected by googles ebook engine. It is free, but it worked poorly.
Could be because Calibre is the go-to software for people who torrent or illegally download books. Maybe Amazon has cottoned on to this.
The Following User Says Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2014, 10:01 PM
I love this forum

My picture on the cover was supposed to be a watercolor, but it only becomes obvious when you look up close. I just re-cut the cover so it'll be a little less self-published like it had been originally.

Is it just me, or does it seem like B&N and GooglePlay just don;t move books for small writers as well as Amazon?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphrotten View Post
My picture on the cover was supposed to be a watercolor, but it only becomes obvious when you look up close. I just re-cut the cover so it'll be a little less self-published like it had been originally.

Is it just me, or does it seem like B&N and GooglePlay just don;t move books for small writers as well as Amazon?
I have a graphic arts tablet, it gives me the option to turn any photo into a water colour picture, with very good results.
I highly recommend a graphic arts tablet for the computer if you enjoy doing your own artwork.

Amazon is the Ebook seller, Smashwords is second but as a comparison, for every 100 books I sell via Amazon I only sell one or two via Smashwords...who distribute for me to B&N and a dozen other Ebook publishers.
I haven't tried Google Play yet, probably won't bother, I've read about it on a few writers forums and it doesn't seem worth the effort.

You might take a look at Drive Through Fiction dot com, it seems to have a decent collection of Ebooks and does attract a lot of readers.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:53 PM

I sold crap on goigle play and BN. Amazon is where i have been making money. I dropped the other two so i could put calizona on KDP.

I discovered a neat way to avoid writers block or being hung up on the next scene. I have thee books open at a time. When i reach a point where i am uncertain or hesitant about proceeding i switch to another book and pound out a few pages.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 11:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
I sold crap on goigle play and BN. Amazon is where i have been making money. I dropped the other two so i could put calizona on KDP.

I discovered a neat way to avoid writers block or being hung up on the next scene. I have thee books open at a time. When i reach a point where i am uncertain or hesitant about proceeding i switch to another book and pound out a few pages.
LOL! I do the same thing!