Protective gear to go out ***MERGED HERE*** - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: What PPE do you wear for shopping?
Mask and Gloves 11 34.38%
Mask 2 6.25%
Gloves 3 9.38%
Use Nothing 10 31.25%
Hunkered down...does not apply. 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2020, 03:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,211 Times in 4,565 Posts
Default Protective gear to go out ***MERGED HERE***

Advertise Here

I posted this in the wrong thread , so I deleted my posts and starting a new one, since I think it is important and I don't know what the correct thread is to put it in.

I am going to be wearing my N99 respirator , googles, and gloves to go shopping. I will cover my hair with a bandana, and take off all my clothes and wash them when I get home. That should technically keep me from catching anything at a store.
I will not donate nothing to anyone. They should have prepared earlier, and I need my stuff for our farm.

I am very irritated with our government ( CDC) for saying regular people don't need face masks and then on the same page telling healthcare people they do. Clearly everyone needs gear to prevent catching the virus.

Our government should have known what was going on no later than December, if they didn't , the entire CIA and NSA and whatever all those 3 letter agencies are deserve to be shut down, and every single person fired.
If they knew, they should have asap made sure the US had an adequate supply of gear. If the richest and most powerful country in the world can't manage to do that, there is something very wrong at the top.

Then, everyone was saying even on here, " the government doesn't want panic" , well panic is HERE now. It would have been better to tell the ****ing truth just for once and tell people to come pick up their face mask at designated areas ( fire stations maybe?) and watch a short video on how to use them, and tell them " this is how we will avoid becoming the next China" in January, before the very first case was diagnosed in the US

So, do you have protective gear? Are you going to wear it to go shopping? Are you going to give it away to some unprepared nurse and risk getting sick yourself?

Also, what is the best way to keep glasses from fogging up under googles with all that gear on? Found nothing on the CDC website on that.

https://www.cdc.gov/hai/pdfs/ppe/ppe-sequence.pdf

link how to put on and take off gear
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 03:54 PM
Time waits for no one

Thanked 1,430 Times in 321 Posts

Here is my gear for the store, got some really strange looks but F them. No tyvek quite yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9FEC2A2D-B99C-4CB5-B4DA-C604150692D7.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	300540  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apathetic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:07 PM
Dog Whisperer

I wear my N95 mask, gloves and eye glasses. Sometimes the glasses do fog up, takes some adjusting with the mask and the glasses to get it just right.

Take everything off when I get home and shower. Wipe down the glasses with a Clorox wipe.
No strange looks from folks here, lots of people are doing their own version of the same. (MA)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TobyDog For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,301 Times in 273 Posts

A best friend in a coronavirus hospital in Boston reported it is like working in a third world country. Sister reported when she worked pandemics, they double gloved, double-masked and wore full PPE after treatment of one person took it all off to be thrown away and went to the next person...just like they did in China. Friend report one mask all day, one set of gloves and substandard PPE. I agree with you about being angry.... the way I see the government and their ability to show up .....has failed at all levels.

I have been busy out there telling people to put on the darn mask! Even if it is cloth one to make. Because the CDC is asking now....for people to make them and send to the hospitals the darn things work. Sick of the lying going on.....comes straight down from the top ....unbelievable to me. I am going in like you...but will be wearing a hazmat chem suit.

They should be screaming on the media put on a mask, gloves, and goggles when you go and do not leave home unless you're going to die if you do not eat.

One very important thing disinfection of your shoes is important if you got mucus stuck on your shoes from coronavirus patient...the last thing you need is the virus inside your house.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,211 Times in 4,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
A best friend in a coronavirus hospital in Boston reported it is like working in a third world country. Sister reported when she worked pandemics, they double gloved, double-masked and wore full PPE after treatment of one person took it all off to be thrown away and went to the next person...just like they did in China. Friend report one mask all day, one set of gloves and substandard PPE. I agree with you about being angry.... the way I see the government and their ability to show up .....has failed at all levels.

I have been busy out there telling people to put on the darn mask! Even if it is cloth one to make. Because the CDC is asking now....for people to make them and send to the hospitals the darn things work. Sick of the lying going on.....comes straight down from the top ....unbelievable to me. I am going in like you...but will be wearing a hazmat chem suit.

They should be screaming on the media put on a mask, gloves, and goggles when you go and do not leave home unless you're going to die if you do not eat.

One very important thing disinfection of your shoes is important if you got mucus stuck on your shoes from coronavirus patient...the last thing you need is the virus inside your house.

Absolutely! Just washing your hands does NOT keep you from getting it, if someone in the store sneezes or coughs, and they don't really have any idea how long it sticks in the air at this point.

I am not too worried about shoes, unless someone spits on the floor at the store probably not a huge concern, but we take our shoes off outside anyway. I will probably spray them with Lysol just in case.

I had another thought: don't you have to be exposed to a certain amount of virus to get sick? If the amount that you are exposed to is very small, will your body develop antibodies to it? If you wear a N95, and some tiny amount of virus gets through, could that actually be a good thing?

This could be the reason so many healthcare people get it, they are exposed to a huge amount of virus that their bodies can't fight off
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,389 Times in 3,962 Posts

We're not going to stores anymore. When I was still doing that, I was wearing gloves and going at times when most people were elsewhere. Eating dinner or sleeping. We have a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol in our vehicles for sanitizing our gloves and hands and whatever before we get into the vehicle. When we would bring home supplies we would spray every item down with rubbing alcohol before taking it in the house and we would leave the shoes outside in the sun- bottoms up.

Last time we went out, lots of people were wearing masks so others are of the opinion that the chances of crossing paths with the virus are high in our area. It's why we stopped going out to top off the supplies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,859 Times in 9,557 Posts

I am wearing a pleated earloop mask and my glasses when I go out. I figure the glasses will catch most of anything directed at my eye area. The mask keeps me from touching my nose/mouth. I have pretty bad allergies and am always rubbing my nose with my hand. So the mask helps prevent that.

I have issues with the wheelchair... I have to grip the handles with both hands. The driver has to grip the wheelchair to push it into the wheelchair securement area. And then I immediately have to touch it, so not great. I haven't really figured out how to deal with that the driver is at huge risk of getting infected because all they transport are old, sick, patients. They have less traffic now that the adult day cares are closed but still taking people to dialysis, food bank, bank, shopping, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Economist

Thanked 1,061 Times in 275 Posts

Went with the full get up this morning. N95, biological goggles, gloves. Sprayed everything I brought home with Clorox solution (1/2 cup bleach to one gallon water). Before it entered the house

Starting next week, I will up the game it to my P100 respirator.

If I need to go into a hot zone (sick relative), I will don the Tyvek suit, with the boot covers
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Me For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:02 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 4,559 Times in 2,355 Posts

Your tune has most definitely changed hasn’t it? From the 11th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I really can't understand why people get all upset about a few sick people in another country. Even if 5000 die , it's still not much compared to the 7 billion and growing humans on this planet.
It would take at least a few percent of humans to get it, before I even consider worrying about it
I observe the social distancing guidelines, I don’t hover around other shoppers, I only pick up an item that I am intending to purchase and other than that I see no need for PPE.
I do believe keeping your outdoor boots segregated and changing clothes as well washing your head, hands and arms after being amongst other members of the public is a worthwhile preventative measure.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:11 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,301 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:

I had another thought: don't you have to be exposed to a certain amount of virus to get sick? If the amount that you are exposed to is very small, will your body develop antibodies to it? If you wear a N95, and some tiny amount of virus gets through, could that actually be a good thing?

This could be the reason so many healthcare people get it, they are exposed to a huge amount of virus that their bodies can't fight off
Actually to many unknowns, I rather overdo then undo. Just my opinion about health care workers, ....they are overworked, afraid, and have to move faster and work harder then they have done in their whole life....which leaves them wide open to making mistakes which in turn they get infected. You try to train them the best you can.....but I know whenever I am tired you can forget about me doing a great job.

This is SARS CoV 2. with SARS CoV test on monkeys all they had to do was a light scratch unseen and they got infected, from what I am seeing all it takes is a cell to start multiple inside the body. But again this is among the really unknowns. One thing about the hospitals is a large amount of junk food people eat, donuts, cookies, cakes and etc. shuts down the darn immune system according to the medical journals I have read.

The N95 is the best thing but you must have a perfectly tight seal all the way around the mask. The ideal mask is ones that are professionally made for just your face because of the seal. And they say another reason for mask infection most often is because you did not use standard procedure to take them off and touched the infected surface. Practice makes perfect...when it come to proper take off.

As far as the virus and affecting you depend on your immune system depends on how healthy you are. I saw a super fit 37 year old just passed....so it all depends on you. I believe in the biochemistry of the body and the junk you eat super affects how well the body can fight it. For a whole different subject... another thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:38 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,383 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asag View Post
Your tune has most definitely changed hasn’t it? From the 11th January 2020
Quote:
I really can't understand why people get all upset about a few sick people in another country. Even if 5000 die , it's still not much compared to the 7 billion and growing humans on this planet.
It would take at least a few percent of humans to get it, before I even consider worrying about it
I observe the social distancing guidelines, I don’t hover around other shoppers, I only pick up an item that I am intending to purchase and other than that I see no need for PPE.
I do believe keeping your outdoor boots segregated and changing clothes as well washing your head, hands and arms after being amongst other members of the public is a worthwhile preventative measure.
You are probably gonna end up on her Ignore list. I am a proud member of
Old 03-29-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
Actually to many unknowns, I rather overdo then undo. Just my opinion about health care workers, ....they are overworked, afraid, and have to move faster and work harder then they have done in their whole life....which leaves them wide open to making mistakes which in turn they get infected. You try to train them the best you can.....but I know whenever I am tired you can forget about me doing a great job.

This is SARS CoV 2. with SARS CoV test on monkeys all they had to do was a light scratch unseen and they got infected, from what I am seeing all it takes is a cell to start multiple inside the body. But again this is among the really unknowns. One thing about the hospitals is a large amount of junk food people eat, donuts, cookies, cakes and etc. shuts down the darn immune system according to the medical journals I have read.

The N95 is the best thing but you must have a perfectly tight seal all the way around the mask. The ideal mask is ones that are professionally made for just your face because of the seal. And they say another reason for mask infection most often is because you did not use standard procedure to take them off and touched the infected surface. Practice makes perfect...when it come to proper take off.

As far as the virus and affecting you depend on your immune system depends on how healthy you are. I saw a super fit 37 year old just passed....so it all depends on you. I believe in the biochemistry of the body and the junk you eat super affects how well the body can fight it. For a whole different subject... another thought.
Our OEM told us if our hands / skin was cracked from using hand sanitizer, meaning the alcohol, that the virus can enter through any open cut, scratch or sore......yup, by all means, wear your gloves at least.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xXxplosive For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 21,095 Times in 6,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asag View Post
Your tune has most definitely changed hasnít it? From the 11th January 2020

I observe the social distancing guidelines, I donít hover around other shoppers, I only pick up an item that I am intending to purchase and other than that I see no need for PPE.
It is pretty funny. She was literally the first person on the boards to say this was nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Also, what is the best way to keep glasses from fogging up under googles with all that gear on? Found nothing on the CDC website on that.
Anti-fog spray works pretty good.

I wear a MSA Full face respirator with P100 cartridges when I go out, in addition to gloves and no exposed skin. Soon I will have a plastic hazmat suit I will be wearing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:48 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,742 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
So, do you have protective gear? Are you going to wear it to go shopping? Are you going to give it away to some unprepared nurse and risk getting sick yourself?
I have 15 N95 masks. I have already offered them to one of my former co-workers (RN) if she needs them.

She is at much greater risk of getting sick than I am. She is being exposed to multiple COVID patients every shift, who are presumably shedding a high viral load since they are hospitalized.

I am going to make a fabric mask for myself and my family members. Dh has asked me to wear a mask when I go out for groceries, and to not take dd with.

I'm making her a mask anyway because she wants one for herself
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marjorie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:55 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,320 Times in 13,851 Posts

We went on our first supply run in 13 days early this AM while everyone was either in church or sleeping off Sat night. No protective equipment. We encountered maybe a total of 10 people and most of those were more than 10 ft away. The real work began when we got back home. First off we washed up and put on rubber aprons, shoes always stay in the mudroom.
Items in packages/cans, ect. that could be sprayed with sanitizer were sprayed and left on racks in the sun to dry. Other items like produce and meat packaging was washed in a sanitizing solution, the meat was then transferred to new packaging before being put in the freezer.
The car was wiped down, the house doors, door knobs, light switches, countertops, ect. ALL wiped down. Everything we had been carrying: Glasses, ID, bank cards, keys, pocket knife, ect. Then we put our clothes in the washer and hit the showers. FINALLY we let the dogs and cat out.
That same run normally takes an hour to and hour and a half. Today it took four.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 05:59 PM
Possum Lover

Back I think it was Swine Flu my elderly psychiatrist said he saw a market in designer masks. That a lot of women didn't like an N95 because they weren't stylish, and if there was a way to make them styling he wanted in on it, he saw a big potential.

Now he looks like an oracle and I am going to tell him that when I see him again. Although we may do a phone appointment this time. I am guessing if I offer he will jump on it.

Technically he is supposed to "see" me but I think we can make an exception. I was also supposed to get a blood test but I am going to beg off on that for now.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,885 Times in 1,443 Posts

Not meaning as an attack post on ANY individual here:

I’m truly a bit at a loss as to why ANYONE here on survivalist boards (newbies to preparedness excluded) has a continual NEED to go out routine shopping now.

Specialized stuff (NEW prescription etc)? Maybe. Unforeseen circumstances (flood, fire etc)? OK, sure.

But to continue on with a sense of normalcy, every other day, every week, bi-weekly ROUTINE shopping is just not making sense. To me.

Stay home. Go for a hike.

If someone on here does NEED to go for a shop, gloves N95 & social distancing.

No bagger, just put everything rite back in the cart, and put it in boxes (or bags) in your vehicle from the cart. Wipe down perishables & fridge / freeze at home. Leave non -perishables in the boxes (or bags) for a few days.

Order up if you can, that’s even better. Either delivery or pickup.

Again, truly NOT an attack post! Folks, IMO, this is going to go on for a lot longer than a few weeks...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 PM
Possum Lover

I don't know about anyone else but I have a difficult husband at home.

I am also endeavoring to get fresh food for as long as possible, ongoing, so I can just eat out of fridge/freezer and saved canned and LTS for when I can't get out.

I also have banking and a business to run as well. I serve an essential population and they need their snacks.

I keep him (at risk) at home as much as possible and do one outing a week. I am on public transit, which is fading pretty fast, so I don't think I will be going out for long.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 21,095 Times in 6,165 Posts

I have no need to go shopping for many months.

I have, so far, chosen to go shopping about once a week for the past few weeks for two reasons.

Shopping for older family members.

Shopping for my self to replace and increase my stores as a strategic move.

That strategy is based on the belief that this is just another step towards the grand collapse and that I need to stay as prepared as possible, as long as possible so that by the time it truly becomes too dangerous to leave the hill I am at the start of my supplies, instead of at the end.

How ironic would it be to expend most of your preps over months or years to get through a disease with 98% survival....only to find yourself out of supplies when airborne rabies or something comes along.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:37 PM
Possum Lover

You said it so much better than I did [tips hat]