Do you like cross draw or not? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 03-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,060 Posts
Default Do you like cross draw or not?

Advertise Here

How do you carry?
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2020, 01:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,415 Times in 535 Posts

Cross draw for sure, but, I have not found a decent holster. In the process of designing my own. Realistically, I sit while driving, and I sit at a bench all day. Cross draw is the answer.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jackpine1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,415 Times in 535 Posts

trouble uploading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 01:53 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE

A buddy of mine carries 3:00 left weak side crossdraw stocks out like a Calvary Saber and that is IWB
Old 03-29-2020, 01:58 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,467 Times in 6,735 Posts

Most of the time I carry OWB around 3 o'clock.

But when riding or driving on long trips, or when wearing heavier outerwear, I generally use a Galco shoulder rig. Crossdraw is not optimal for me in 99.9% of scenarios.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:16 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

Only times I've carried cross draw was when I had a vest that had a pocket designed for carrying, on either side. I got tired of the collar of the vest digging into my neck all day from the weight of the gun & spare mag. Then I've carried a BUG on my left ankle, but haven't done that in a long time. I've mainly carried on my right hip ~3 0'clock position, except for when I first started carrying I tried SOB carry for a while & found out that while it looked cool when Magnum P.I. did it, it was a PITA when it came time to sit down on any kind of seat or chair with a back. I have & occasionally still do pocket carry, but I couldn't even imagine trying to cross draw while pocket carrying.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,773 Times in 4,772 Posts

I mostly carry AIWB at 1:00, and/or with a Smart Carry at 12:00.

Never really been a fan of cross draw.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:55 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 6,367 Times in 1,465 Posts

3:00 right side riding high clipped inside 'waistband' of overalls.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,015 Times in 2,975 Posts

I was a kid when I started hauling a handgun around when I hunted. I decided to carry it crossdraw because it didn't bang on a slung rifle. Also, it rode a lot better there when I drove.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:00 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,393 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
I was a kid when I started hauling a handgun around when I hunted. I decided to carry it crossdraw because it didn't bang on a slung rifle. Also, it rode a lot better there when I drove.
I concur with that assessment. I also carried cross draw in the Army, taking full advantage of the ambidextrous nature of the M12 holster, because I am a lefty and the NBC mask case prevented normal left-handed holster placement.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,730 Times in 3,886 Posts

Not unless I'm planning to wear a lot of armored kit and plan to frequently ride in aircraft or while seat-belted into vehicles.

For those scenarios, yeah, cross-draw can make a lot of sense. Especially say for someone manning a cramped gun turret on top of an armored vehicle. I carried a 1911A1 mounted on my high left side while wearing an Eagle Maritime CIRAS armor chassis over in Iraq. Positioned about where a tanker holster would normally place such an item (over my left rib-cage at about 10 o'clock). Just stuck the damn thing butt forward into a 5.56 bungi shingle. I had an M4A1 as my Primary anyway. I wasn't in likely need of executing a Transition Drill on that particular tour... and the assumed risk was outweighed by my more likely needing quicker access while seated in a vehicle.

Cross draw generally makes it much easier to access a handgun in tight/cramped seated quarters. Like when you are belted into the passenger compartment of any standard vehicle. Cross draw shoulder/tanker style makes it even easier. Waist level cross draw can be problematic depending upon your seasonal clothing/holster style choices. Sometimes no faster than strong side carry.

Cross draw is often very handy for people out hiking, hunting, 4-wheeling, snow mobiling, etc. where any threat is more likely from animals. Or the opportunity for a hunting shot is from a bit of (handgun) distance. Plenty of time to present the weapon.

But there's a major reason that modern police & military training venues no longer teach cross draw for duty carry or CCW. It positions your weapon ideally for most near opponents to execute a gun grab or to pin/control your gun arm/hand when you reach across your body for your weapon.

If anyone is standing close to you...or can quickly step in close to you... you've presented them a huge advantage if things go hands-on. Grappling/Martial Arts 101.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,017 Posts

Crossdraw for the 44 magnum in a safari holster.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:23 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,885 Times in 603 Posts

depends on what I am doing....my Bianchi Cyclone 111..will do both...cross draw and strong side
Old 03-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,410 Times in 2,392 Posts

IT REALLY depends on situation and application requirements.

For street use it presents the gun to the person facing you if they are so inclined to grab.

For speed of draw and hitting target it is slower than strong side carry unless you are doing bodyguard ready, which is a specialty application. It is also more complex a move to bring to bear on target because of the extra side movement instead of a straight upright presentation from the strong side.

If carried true side mounted crossdraw it is much slower and the only advantage is the easy ability to access with the off hand.

If carrying in a well designed shoulder holster it is a good way to carry but it is still slower than strong hand side draw.

Just depends on what you are doing at the time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 PM
Not John Wick

Hunting yes, CCW no.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pol For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 07:23 PM
Free Born

Thanked 4,770 Times in 1,282 Posts

For being in the woods, riding a horse/atv a Dockers clutch/cross draw works really well for me or in conjunction with a heavy pack and bino chest rig for hunting. I use a Kenai chest holster and relax the straps to wear my revolver low like a clutch and it's very comfortable, especially when doing yard/property work or using tools.

Pog's or city slickers that have never spent time outdoors packing will try to say it's a fudd thing but we all know they're just fobits with no practical exp nor have they been in a line unit with armor (we all carred our m9 in a cross draw rig or chest holster, even the useless scouts in their Bradlies did) so their uninformed opinions don't really matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to chaosofcreation For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 AM
In Peace as in War

I’ve got A. E. Nelson “Dual Carry” holsters for most of my sidearms. It’s a pretty versatile belt holster that you can wear it either way. Very well made too.

http://aenelson.hostcentric.com/prod...roducts_id=196
Old 03-30-2020, 04:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,015 Times in 2,975 Posts

A local cop got killed by his own gun when someone snuck up behind him one night. When I started carrying a small gun for LE I carried it cross draw in a pancake holster. I can see anyone who wants to grab my gun. I had a guy eyeball my gun once. I immediately stiffened up, he saw my body language and didn't try anything.

I never had trouble keeping up with the group when qualifying, I usually finished up shooting somewhere in the middle of the drill.

If the gun is on your left side that hand can help the draw by clearing clothing, unsnaping, or holding a stiff holster.

Can you draw a gun on your right with your left hand??? I can draw a gun carried on my left side with my left hand. I had to do that once in a training scenerio.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 04:14 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,244 Times in 9,975 Posts

I have different holsters for different pistols that fit different modes of carry for different purposes. One style of holster doesn't work best in all occasions IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 04:15 AM

I used to, just a little further across than it used to be. Lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chronic the Hashhog For This Useful Post: