"You can find 9mm everywhere when SHTF..." - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,988 Times in 9,299 Posts
Default "You can find 9mm everywhere when SHTF..."

Advertise Here

How many times has this ignorant statement been repeated by folks who just tirelessly don't know what they are talking about:

"I carry a 9mm because in SHTF you can find it everywhere!" Generally stated with utter confidence, as though it grows like wild raspberries in Washington state meadows or salmon swimming in Alaskan rivers.

Yet in just days of nervous buying, 9x19 is basically out of stock (OOS) everywhere and the remaining locations are charging high premiums and limiting quantities.

You know what is still in stock and easily obtained at the moment? The mighty .40 caliber. Turns out, being smart and not following the crowd has advantages.

And for clarity, it's always smart to diversify calibers, and I have dozens of calibers in pistol, longgun, and shotgun combined and have laid back ammo so these periods don't impact me. In other words, I'm not reliant on my ammo "being found everywhere when SHTF."

You either plan or plan to fail.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,446 Times in 8,589 Posts

Of the many problems I do have, this is not one of them. Diversity is a good thing. Proficiency coupled with that is even better. The ability to be able to remain proficient and diverse is the result of planning accordingly.

As a fellow Supply Chain Management buddy of mine once stated, the lines between poor inventory management and well stocked have merely shifted.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,468 Times in 6,735 Posts

Anyone attempting to purchase or otherwise acquire 9mm at the time of the crisis has missed the point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 10:11 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

I have several 40 cals & 1 9mm conversion barrel for my G23's. I have a couple hundred rounds for the 9mm & a LOT more in 40. I wasn't looking for either when it started getting crazy. I had by lucky coincidence ordered a few boxes of 9mm CCI blazer & Tula to test out my 9mm conversion barrel since I prefer not to use brass at the indoor range as it's pretty much impossible to pick up the brass cases, also I wanted to make sure the steel would cycle. Also ordered a couple boxes of 40 as I'd wanted to check out the Federal Syntech ammo. So I got in an extra 250 rounds, but then shot about 150 - 200 at the range. Only thing I wish I had more of was 300BLK, the prices were really starting to come down. I only have enough reloading components (bullets) to load about another 150 rounds. Got plenty of brass, primers & powder for it, just got caught low on 30 cal bullets. Whoops.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,446 Times in 8,589 Posts

Any of the usual gunshows in PHX area likely to be canceled for foreseeable future. Suspect when they resume ammo will be at stupidly ridiculous prices. And, people will pay it.

I laughed the last time around. I will laugh again.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 10:35 PM
living in the desert

When SHTF scavenging for ammo is what people will be doing. Not really buying from stores.

Due to the sheer numbers of people who own 9mm, finding ammo in abandoned homes/etc. is going to be more commonplace. Same will go for .22LR and 12 GA. ammo.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to 3Jfamily For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 10:58 PM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Jfamily View Post
When SHTF scavenging for ammo is what people will be doing. Not really buying from stores.

Due to the sheer numbers of people who own 9mm, finding ammo in abandoned homes/etc. is going to be more commonplace. Same will go for .22LR and 12 GA. ammo.
Yes, when people talk about buying common calibers because it will be easy to find in SHTF, they are not talking about buying it at a gun store. They are talking when S actually does HTF. They are talking about if they have to scavenge ammunition. Of course it is going to be hard to find when there is a run on ammunition in the stores. But assuming we don't have zombies attack, 9mm is going to be sitting around in closets, garages, etc all over this country.

If this were The Walking Dead, do you think you would be more likely to find 9mm easily in homes than to find 9x23 Winchester? That is what people are talking about, not finding it in stores when idiots are overbuying everything from toilet paper to chicken wings.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 11:08 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,988 Times in 9,299 Posts

I foresee few realistic scenarios where the owners of the 9mm aren't there protecting it.

Among the reasons:
1. They were killed. In which case, the spoils of war went to their killers.
2. They fled under such emergency that everything was destroyed and/or nobody would have stuck around (flood, raging fires, etc.). When the emergency passses, I guarantee they come back for their supplies.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 11:11 PM
living in the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I foresee few realistic scenarios where the owners of the 9mm aren't there protecting it.

Among the reasons:
2. They fled under such emergency that everything was destroyed and/or nobody would have stuck around (flood, raging fires, etc.). When the emergency passses, I guarantee they come back for their supplies.
You forgot vast killer pandemic virus/bio weapon killing people in their homes. Leaving everything intact.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 3Jfamily For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 11:31 PM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Quote:

Among the reasons:
Agreed, but when people are talking about it will be easily available they are not talking about buying it at the local gun store during the heathen hordes stampede of guns and toilet paper.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,460 Times in 10,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchavasu View Post
Yes, when people talk about buying common calibers because it will be easy to find in SHTF, they are not talking about buying it at a gun store. They are talking when S actually does HTF. They are talking about if they have to scavenge ammunition. Of course it is going to be hard to find when there is a run on ammunition in the stores. But assuming we don't have zombies attack, 9mm is going to be sitting around in closets, garages, etc all over this country.

If this were The Walking Dead, do you think you would be more likely to find 9mm easily in homes than to find 9x23 Winchester? That is what people are talking about, not finding it in stores when idiots are overbuying everything from toilet paper to chicken wings.
Just my ignorant opinion, but when the S really does Hit The Fan, unprepared folks are going to pawn, sell, or trade anything they can to obtain food. They will trade all their portable wealth. The guns, the ammo, PMs, smokes, drugs, etc.

I would not expect to find anything of worth in their house after they finally leave or die.

Scavanging is not much of a plan. Better grow a garden and learn to fish.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 12:30 AM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Just my ignorant opinion, but when the S really does Hit The Fan, unprepared folks are going to pawn, sell, or trade anything they can to obtain food. They will trade all their portable wealth. The guns, the ammo, PMs, smokes, drugs, etc.

I would not expect to find anything of worth in their house after they finally leave or die.

Scavanging is not much of a plan. Better grow a garden and learn to fish.
Unfortunately SHTF is a very poor description which people use to describe all sorts of events from a full on movie zombie apocalypse to a financial melt-down and everything in between.

You may very well be right that people will end up pawning lots of stuff, which will mean a glut of 9mm and other calibers on the market.

My point is that when people are describing being able to find 9mm anywhere, it is a apocalypse, scavenging type scenario they are referring to. And in that, even if it were preceded by people selling off stores of ammo, the ammo is still there somewhere unless they used it to shoot zombies.

SHTF is very rarely defined well enough to really know what the person who is using the term means.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 05:08 AM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,815 Times in 1,043 Posts

22 was what people were paying ridiculous prices for last time and I laughed then.

Like the man said 9 m m is what everyone will be paying ridiculous prices for this time around and I will laugh now.
The Following User Says Thank You to DisgruntledPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,884 Times in 1,443 Posts

Learn to reload, if folks enjoy shooting.

Purchase equipment.

Purchase components.

Not necessary to reload common calibers when prices are low, and inventory is high.

Handy to reload during blights to continue shooting. For folks whom enjoy shooting.

Supposedly far far handier to use reloads for accuracy & such as well (working up loads for the tool & its purpose). Mind, I simply haven't gotten to there yet is all.

As to planning on picking up anything "after" something has occurred?

Well that's just kind of silly. Either one has something, or they do not. IMO
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 AM
Paramedic and ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,018 Posts

As someone who was looking for a 9mm during the last panic buy and had to go a different route, I can honestly say 9mm is not the go to caliber for SHTF times.

.40 was much easier to find in both guns and ammo while looking.

Right now 9mm is very hard to get, unless you want junk target rounds. Self defense or high quality target are impossible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,644 Times in 5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
As someone who was looking for a 9mm during the last panic buy and had to go a different route, I can honestly say 9mm is not the go to caliber for SHTF times.

Right now 9mm is very hard to get, unless you want junk target rounds. Self defense or high quality target are impossible.
I went with a G23 in the post Sandy Hook panic because all I could find on the shelves were .40 S&W ammo and pistols. However I can shoot 3 calibers in my pistol, two of which are I still purchase easily today, but not the other.

As much as my peers goof on me for .40 S&W, I am the one laughing now.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 09:10 AM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
How many times has this ignorant statement been repeated by folks who just tirelessly don't know what they are talking about:

"I carry a 9mm because in SHTF you can find it everywhere!" Generally stated with utter confidence, as though it grows like wild raspberries in Washington state meadows or salmon swimming in Alaskan rivers.

Yet in just days of nervous buying, 9x19 is basically out of stock (OOS) everywhere and the remaining locations are charging high premiums and limiting quantities.

You know what is still in stock and easily obtained at the moment? The mighty .40 caliber. Turns out, being smart and not following the crowd has advantages.

And for clarity, it's always smart to diversify calibers, and I have dozens of calibers in pistol, longgun, and shotgun combined and have laid back ammo so these periods don't impact me. In other words, I'm not reliant on my ammo "being found everywhere when SHTF."

You either plan or plan to fail.
Don't think they meant shopping in stores. They mean when you kill your attacker you take their supply of 9mm off the dead body.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 09:15 AM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post

Why are they short on supply? They must be wannabees.

Anyone worth their proverbial salt has the ammo they need stacked deep from a decade ago. Now it could be you lost all your preps somehow and only have one gun at your disposal...a 9mm with no ammo. If you are worried about that scenario then by all means get some oddball caliber and hope the guns stores are still open.

For me, my main handguns are 9mm. I also have some 22s, 38's / 357's and a couple of 45s.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,868 Times in 3,205 Posts

I picked up 500 projectiles last week for $35,115 gr fmj ,all loaded now,added that to the stock. Need to stock up on reloading supplies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,184 Times in 2,189 Posts

Interesting opinion. I like .38/.357, 9mm, .22, 12g and .556, if you guys like others, go for it. If you neglected to buy any ammo for them, buying it now is simply idiotic, as are you, if that is your current mission. Dont own animals, you are not worthy of them. The herd went that way.....I'll be here, bingewatching netflix and waiting this thing out on the couch.

Prepping is a goal, where are you on yours?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post: