Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-25-2020, 07:25 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,721 Times in 2,472 Posts

Advertise Here

AROUND 400 gallons in 3 different tanks, none of it older than 6 months and all of it treated with STABIL
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 09:36 PM
High Concept

Thanked 7,342 Times in 2,639 Posts

Don’t be afraid to buy bulk fuels in drums, you can buy it by the drum initially and rotate them out in 5 drum lots.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,024 Times in 2,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
D you fill the barrel at the pump or with cans and multiple trips? Was thinking about a 100 gallon transfer tank. Water is 8.25lbs per gallon so looking at a pretty heavy item once full. I agree, now is the time to store gas.
]
I have two 55gal barrels that I fill with several trips with a 14gal caddy. I store them in a cool cellar for 3 years and then use the gas in them and refill.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 60,860 Times in 20,659 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Fortunately, I only life 3 minutes from work so I only have to fill up about once per month. I'm usually just over half when I fill up. I also have two, 5-gallon cans in my storage unit both with Stabil stabilizer in them. I'll use them when the panic is all over with.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:44 AM
Survivor

I don't plan on doing much traveling in TEOTWAWKI, but I have chainsaws, rototiller, garden tractor, etc that all will need gas. I know the gas will run out but the tools will make the transition to hand work a lot easier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:13 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,230 Times in 510 Posts

Teleworking... no reason to leave except for groceries. Vehicles are pretty much all over 3/4 on a daily basis. Have two older Suburbans with full tanks. Both run but don't have to be used regularly. Together... over 70 gallons. They were both filled about 10 days ago. Also have 3 motorcycles, 5, 3.5 and 3.5 gallons. Cheaper to ride those if we just need to run an errand or something. Have cans and manual siphon. Keep 10 gallons of diesel for the tractor but that is only used for mowing. I use about 2 gallons a day mowing but have stopped mowing the pasture. Just up around the house so literally maybe a quart or less when I use it. I'm not working hard to keep it pretty and manicured, just knocked down so it doesn't get crazy. Spent about 20 minutes yesterday, probably burned a pint or so. I'd love to have a big farm tank full of gas but haven't made it that far yet. We can make it for a while with what we have on hand.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:15 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,230 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
Donít be afraid to buy bulk fuels in drums, you can buy it by the drum initially and rotate them out in 5 drum lots.
Where do you go to buy drums of fuel?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:33 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,569 Times in 586 Posts

If society collapses to the point where there's no gas at the pumps, then no-one will be commuting, so I won't need any for that. I have enough diesel in a full tank to cross this foggy island twice, so that's enough, especially if we empty the commuter wagon and throw in the five gallon can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 11:59 AM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and Roses View Post
We keep our truck and van 3/4 or more full. Also, have a limited amount of gas in cans.
This is a question I hate to ask..what could be causes of no gas available? The non preppers can only store so much gas. My son is a trucker, hauls a big rig of propane and has been very busy in Florida. He said recently everyone was out of propane and he stays busy picking up propane from ports and wherever else he picks up and delivers. Y2k I could see the reasons for concern for gas, so are today's reasons the same or different?
The price of oil is currently lower than the cost of production. That can be a recipe for shortages.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 12:04 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 37,508 Times in 9,226 Posts

All of my vehicles are full. Plus I cooked a huge pot of Great Northern Beans with ham, onions and tobacco. So I too am full of gas. .
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 02:43 PM
Rogue

Thanked 2,904 Times in 904 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv7722 View Post
The price of oil is currently lower than the cost of production. That can be a recipe for shortages.
Especially as we attempt to get back to work and we run into problems restarting shuttered refineries, etc.

I'd buy as much now as possible as these prices won't last and we are likely to see large price hikes as things get moving again.

And if things don't get moving again. Well you have plenty for the generator.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:16 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,137 Times in 878 Posts

Mentioned it in "what did you do to prep today" thread.
Had a whole $.10 off a gallon with fuel perks. Dumped gas into wife's Jeep and Explorer to top them off. Took containers in truck (truck over half full) to fill up. Local gas at $2.159/gallon. Managed to top off at $60 even. Took latex gloves, forgot to put them on ;(, wife went along and broke out hand cleaner
Old 03-27-2020, 08:05 PM
High Concept

Thanked 7,342 Times in 2,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
I don’t. Have elevated fuel storage tanks, 4000 gallons capacity.

This is suggested for people who haven’t got much more than what’s in their vehicles and a few cans.

Drums are the minimum prep in my view.

For people that don’t have long range tanks or dual tanks in their vehicles, think about fitting them after things calm down.

Also think about fitting a hoist to your pickup, one that tucks into the well body when not in use, very handy for all kinds of things.

Fuel transfer tanks are good options, you can refuel yourself, or other plant and equipment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 PM
S.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
Other than racing gas, like 100 octane and up, I've never seen fuel sold in drums to the public. A 30 second google search didn't reveal anything to the contrary.
The Following User Says Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,721 Times in 8,573 Posts

I dunno why, but I grew a mohawk, dyed it a bright fluorescent color, picked up an Australian accent and lit some people up on the highway. Ka-chunk, ka-chunk, the precious juice, the guzzoline!

Seriously, though, I've not had to refill my tank since Friday 13th. I have filled up all of my containers of non-oxy for the generator, etc.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:14 PM

I'm currently paying $1.18 per gallon for E10 in Oklahoma. My friend got it for $0.99 at Sam's, but I'm not a member.

Right now is a good time to stock up on gasoline. I need to get some storage cans.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:24 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 1,456 Times in 444 Posts

I have a generator that had regular unleaded gas sit in it for almost 3 years and I drained the gas out, put it in a 5 gallon can and used it for my lawnmower and snow blower with no issues at all.....

I don't understand why everyone says that gas goes bad so quickly..... I ALWAYS have at least a few gallons of gas that is a year or so old by the time I get to it in late fall (I store 60 gallons at a time) and have never had any issues with it. No stabilizer or anything.

Granted, I have never put that old gas in any of my vehicles (except for a tractor mower).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klbsa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:45 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbsa View Post
I have a generator that had regular unleaded gas sit in it for almost 3 years and I drained the gas out, put it in a 5 gallon can and used it for my lawnmower and snow blower with no issues at all.....

I don't understand why everyone says that gas goes bad so quickly..... I ALWAYS have at least a few gallons of gas that is a year or so old by the time I get to it in late fall (I store 60 gallons at a time) and have never had any issues with it. No stabilizer or anything.

Granted, I have never put that old gas in any of my vehicles (except for a tractor mower).
The issues i have with old fuel is what it does when it sits in the carb. I hadn't started my 5500w genny in a couple years and it wouldn't start. I could squirt fuel into the throat of the carb and it would fire for a moment then die. So spark wasn't my issue. I removed the carb and found one of the jets plugged. Used a small wire to clear the jet and that fixed the problem.

Fuel in a can seems to not give me any issues, it's always the "in the carb environment" that does.
The Following User Says Thank You to 81eagle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:49 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 1,456 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81eagle View Post
The issues i have with old fuel is what it does when it sits in the carb. I hadn't started my 5500w genny in a couple years and it wouldn't start. I could squirt fuel into the throat of the carb and it would fire for a moment then die. So spark wasn't my issue. I removed the carb and found one of the jets plugged. Used a small wire to clear the jet and that fixed the problem.

Fuel in a can seems to not give me any issues, it's always the "in the carb environment" that does.
So what is it some kind of sediment that separates in the fuel when it sits? Maybe its because I am moving it around and pouring it etc (mixing it) that I have no issues.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:12 PM
Survivor

The times old gas has stopped my small engines there has always been a clear jelly like stuff in the carb. Clean it out and you are usually good to go.

I like to use my REALLY old gas by burning it in my vehicles. I'm usually putting 5 gallons of old stuff in with half a tank full of fresh gas. I never notice any affect on the vehicle. I also do this with old mixed fuel that is getting old, just dump it in a vehicle tank.