Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-20-2020, 03:01 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 5,861 Times in 1,347 Posts
Default Coronavirus Chat - speak your mind

Advertise Here

Old Soul posted on The Big Thread (Chinese virus) about the need to:

"...vent, need to "chat," need to emote, need to follow all kinds of organic thought trains, and connections" and proposed to let the horses run wild so to speak.

"...maybe it would take a LOT of pressure off of the mods, and a bit of pressure off of the members, to loosen up a bit and let threads run wild for at least the opening of this crisis."

Good idea! And this thread can be a place to do just that. There are so many threads in this subforum already, but they are for specific topics.

THIS thread can go where ever it wants to, and can drift here there and everywhere as you please. The other main thread which, for the most part contains virus-relevant info, does not need to be continually derailed with off-topic posts.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 03-20-2020 at 07:20 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,966 Times in 381 Posts

*applause!*

Great idea! I didn't even conceive of a dedicated thread, but it's awesome! <3
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 03:13 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 34,691 Times in 9,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
Old Soul posted on The Big Thread (Chinese virus) about the need to:

"...vent, need to "chat," need to emote, need to follow all kinds of organic thought trains, and connections" and proposed to let the horses run wild so to speak.

"...maybe it would take a LOT of pressure off of the mods, and a bit of pressure off of the members, to loosen up a bit and let threads run wild for at least the opening of this crisis."

Good idea! And this thread can be a place to do just that. There are so many threads in this subforum already, but they are for specific topics.

THIS thread can go where ever it wants to, and can drift here there and everywhere as you please. The other main thread which, for the most part contains virus-relevant info, does not need to be continually derailed with blatantly off-topic posts.
Don't forget that they still have some rules like if they get ugly they go to the Darkside and finish it there. My opinion, for whatever it's worth.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 03:48 AM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 3,624 Times in 911 Posts

I hear the Darkside has cookies
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 04:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFrugalPrepper View Post
Come to dark side

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trackball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 05:30 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 20,633 Times in 6,067 Posts

I envy the muggles. Nothing to do but sit around and play video games and count their TP.

Me, I have so much to do in my normal state of 'isolation' I don't know where to begin.

Being 'prepared' just means I get to keep working while everyone else gets a vacation.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 05:35 AM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 3,624 Times in 911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I envy the muggles. Nothing to do but sit around and play video games and count their TP.

Me, I have so much to do in my normal state of 'isolation' I don't know where to begin.

Being 'prepared' just means I get to keep working while everyone else gets a vacation.
My neighbor posted on FB tonight that she was proud she didnt stock up on tp.

All.I could was that meant she'd be wanting what we have soon.

Not getting much of mine. I stocked a bit but not crazy like.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 07:10 AM
I give up

Thanked 21,764 Times in 5,576 Posts

Our flight department has shut down. I spoke with the boss and encouraged him to keep the aircraft airworthy. As we can't predict if someone in his family will need transportation to an open bed in a hospital somewhere. He agreed, for now. I simply said we could put someone sick in the crew rest area, close the doors and fly with the outflow valve open (it's right by the crew rest) , to force the air out.

My mother in law is in assisted living with what up until now has been mild dementia in Taylor Manner, Jacksonville, FL. One of the residents is now hospitalized with C19 and they fear it's probably spread to others there. I last saw her 2 months ago and we had a nice visit, she was doing very well, lucid and happy to be with us. My wife and I cried last night, realizing that that was the last time we will get to see her alive. She got sick last week and was in the ER for just a night. Now she's suddenly mentally "gone". It's really a horrible feeling to be so helpless.

I'm pretty much staying at home. I do go to the airport every so often at night, drive right to the planes, and crank 'em up for 20 minutes. By evening, the place is a ghost town, so I think it's the safest time. We have 3 aircraft at PBI, G550, PC-12 and EC-135 helicopter.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM
I give up

Thanked 21,764 Times in 5,576 Posts

I'm a very optimistic person and even-keeled person. I do believe in my fellow Americans and I do believe we will succeed using our collective intelligence and modern scientific practices. How long that takes is another matter.

Even so, this has been a wild mixture of good and bad news. Despite my personal optimism, what do I say to someone in assisted living other than "I love you". For them, it's doomsday and that hurts.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 11:36 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,788 Times in 9,530 Posts

Trying to run around and get it all done before lockdown.

Today, more medication from Walmart.

I keep brooding on the fact this will be used to "wed out the sick and the lame". As you all know, I have both at my house.

At least my aunt agreed to rehome the cats if we die, and not give them to my stepmother (she would declaw).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 11:53 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 19,611 Times in 5,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
Our flight department has shut down. I spoke with the boss and encouraged him to keep the aircraft airworthy. As we can't predict if someone in his family will need transportation to an open bed in a hospital somewhere. He agreed, for now. I simply said we could put someone sick in the crew rest area, close the doors and fly with the outflow valve open (it's right by the crew rest) , to force the air out.

My mother in law is in assisted living with what up until now has been mild dementia in Taylor Manner, Jacksonville, FL. One of the residents is now hospitalized with C19 and they fear it's probably spread to others there. I last saw her 2 months ago and we had a nice visit, she was doing very well, lucid and happy to be with us. My wife and I cried last night, realizing that that was the last time we will get to see her alive. She got sick last week and was in the ER for just a night. Now she's suddenly mentally "gone". It's really a horrible feeling to be so helpless.

I'm pretty much staying at home. I do go to the airport every so often at night, drive right to the planes, and crank 'em up for 20 minutes. By evening, the place is a ghost town, so I think it's the safest time. We have 3 aircraft at PBI, G550, PC-12 and EC-135 helicopter.
Cujet, I am sorry to hear about your MIL. I am not sure how you believe but will keep her, you and your wife in my prayers. I sincerely hope she does not catch this and that you two will get to see her again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:02 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 19,611 Times in 5,511 Posts

the one thing that really ticks me off about all of this is not the fact that it is so dangerous and deadly, but rather the fact of all of the idiots who think this is just the Flu. It is nothing like the Flu other than it exhibits some of the same symptoms. There is too much empirical evidence to show that this is much worse than the Flu and yet supposed seasoned preppers on this forum are even continuing to spread disinformation about it. They are naive at the very least and at the most are disingenuously dangerous with other people's lives. If they act like this is nothing but the Flu, the chance that they will catch this virus and spread it to others is too great. Just like that comedian that was on the cruise ship that broke quarantine and flew back to the states, if someone dies because of his lack of care for the people of the United States, then he needs to go to prison for the rest of his life and never be released. I feel the same about all of these people who say it is nothing but the Flu. If someone dies because of their lack of consideration then they need to spend the rest of their lives in prison. And for the record, I would feel the same way if it was one of my own sons. That is just too irresponsible and deadly to play around with.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,803 Times in 2,149 Posts

Quote:
My neighbor posted on FB tonight that she was proud she didnt stock up on tp.

All.I could was that meant she'd be wanting what we have soon.

Not getting much of mine. I stocked a bit but not crazy like.
lol, yeah, i've heard a few people in shops whinging about "hoarders" and complaining about people who stocked up on things....all i can think is that "well if you would have stocked up too, you wouldn't be where you are at now"
as i push an empty cart filled with nothing but whiskey and wine. lol.

i wonder how long until the booze starts looking thin on the shelves, at least around here it's one of the items in the store that seems to look well stocked still.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loki81 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,124 Times in 4,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post

same, we are putting in 16 hour days lately again, babies are arriving like crazy and I have barely time to cook ( doing it now, waiting on food to be done)
I want to know how this shut down of everything is going to affect us personally. All the info, of course, since most people live there, is geared towards large cities. What happens to farmers in rural areas? Can we still sell our livestock at the auction? Will there be a farmers market? Will Rural King and hardware stores still be open?

Then I want to know what exactly the point of the shut down is. If 20% get really sick, most likely they will never come out of the hospital being the same as before again. You might as well just stay home and die and be done with it.

Do YOU think you can avoid this virus by hiding out? How long are you going to isolate? And what makes you think it will not get you once you stop? Do you have everything you need for many years? Indefinitely?

It would be ironic to hide out for say 2 years, and on your first outing you would catch the virus and die...

And why is it our goats have to insist on having 4+ kids?! why can't they have 2 or 3 like everyone else's? Where the hell am I going to get all that milk or milk replacer from to feed them all? If I order a bag online it is $30 just for the shipping. Anyone want a few bottle babies? I will give you one free to a good home with lots of milk

rant over, that was fun
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,124 Times in 4,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Trying to run around and get it all done before lockdown.

Today, more medication from Walmart.

I keep brooding on the fact this will be used to "wed out the sick and the lame". As you all know, I have both at my house.

At least my aunt agreed to rehome the cats if we die, and not give them to my stepmother (she would declaw).
you don't know if you are going to die, or your husband. I think that "only" old and sick die is a myth, younger healthy people die also. Your husband might not get sick at all, all that alcohol might kill the virus before it gets in his lungs. I am not kidding either. I totally believe alcohol kills at least some disease. When we used to travel, especially questionable places to pick up various germs like Mexico or India, I would just have a shot of some high proof alcohol after every meal. I never once got sick. I used to get sick all the time flying. Once I started having shots of vodka on the plane, I never got sick again. Maybe it's in my head and luck, but it worked for me....

( yes, I now have a shot of vodka every time we go out to shop, after we get back, just in case, husband too and no we are not alcoholics, we never have more than 2 shots)

So don't worry, we could all die in a vehicle accident tomorrow, or have a stroke, or the ****ing asteroid might fall on top of us
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,788 Times in 9,530 Posts

I have a single shot lemon something liquor I will hit after I get back from Walmart.

I would love a (goat) kid I have a good backyard too when he's weaned.

Waiting on my second prescription to process. It's like which is my most favorite? Do I wait and get both or go in and snatch up the one while they're still open?

At least my husband isn't in physical pain today. And I don't have a migraine. I need to remind myself to be more positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:30 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
same, we are putting in 16 hour days lately again, babies are arriving like crazy and I have barely time to cook ( doing it now, waiting on food to be done)
I want to know how this shut down of everything is going to affect us personally. All the info, of course, since most people live there, is geared towards large cities. What happens to farmers in rural areas? Can we still sell our livestock at the auction? Will there be a farmers market? Will Rural King and hardware stores still be open?

Then I want to know what exactly the point of the shut down is. If 20% get really sick, most likely they will never come out of the hospital being the same as before again. You might as well just stay home and die and be done with it.

Do YOU think you can avoid this virus by hiding out? How long are you going to isolate? And what makes you think it will not get you once you stop? Do you have everything you need for many years? Indefinitely?

It would be ironic to hide out for say 2 years, and on your first outing you would catch the virus and die...

And why is it our goats have to insist on having 4+ kids?! why can't they have 2 or 3 like everyone else's? Where the hell am I going to get all that milk or milk replacer from to feed them all? If I order a bag online it is $30 just for the shipping. Anyone want a few bottle babies? I will give you one free to a good home with lots of milk

rant over, that was fun
Experts are expecting it to last 18 months to 2 years, but not of constant quarantine. It will comes in waves, each time a wave comes we will have to go back into shutdown. People will have to modify their behavior is all, they will have to learn to stock up ahead of time instead of panic last second, and people will have to learn to actually quarantine instead of going to spring break. Businesses will have to learn to be flexible with the ebb and flow of this or they will bankrupt each other and themselves. Governments and hospitals will have to buy extra medical supplies inbetween waves so that there aren't mask shortages, ventilator shortages, etc, and with plenty of overflow hospitals available to be set up. My dad was talking about how much unoccupied retail space there is, old stores that have closed and a new tenant has never come in. Those 10's of thousands of sq ft of retail space could be converted into little field hospitals with tents inside for rooms.

I bet as far as changing behavior goes, the days of 2-4 generations under the same roof are about over. Builders may have to adjust to demand for smaller cheaper living options, smaller houses, smaller apartments, so people that have been stuck living with parents, grandparents, great grandparents, can get out on their own, that way they can isolate if need be. There is absolutely no tenable way to have infected people and those with high risk, living in a home together, no amount of caution taken will make that situation okay. This was overdue anyway, the expectations of the average american for their standard of living is about 2-3x what it should be, make 20k a year but expect to eat out all the time and have a big house.

There are already some promising results in the treatment realm, we should have antibody testing this year, and a vaccine next year. Those that pass the antibody test should be able to go back to normal day to day operating and help those that have to stay quarantined. As more and more people get this virus and get over it, group/herd immunity will increase, making the waves less dramatic each time until finally the vaccine brings it to a close.

Hopefully many people take this as a cue to actually maintain their health and immune system, so they aren't extra susceptible in a situation like this.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to hzuiel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Socially Distant

Thanked 13,584 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote:
and cake, we have cake.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SurvivalOfTheFit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 01:34 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,592 Times in 819 Posts

This seems like a good place to vent. The hospital where I work has announced that anyone traveling out of state may be required to self-isolate for two weeks using their PTO depending on where they went. Which makes a good incentive for them to lie because who wants to burn through two extra weeks of vacation time?

What gets me is the night-shift admissions person for ER is coming back from Florida spring break tonight. No self-isolation required. Why? Because nobody wants to cover that shift.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 02:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,824 Times in 1,921 Posts

We hear a lot about flattening the curve. All the people that the area under the curve represents are people that get infected. Flattening the curve protects the care facilities from overload which should result in fewer deaths however the curve only tails off as herd immunity increases or as the environment becomes hostile to the virus. If the curve flattens somewhat it means we individually either fall under the curve and become immune or have to dodge it for a longer period. The more that dodge it the longer it takes to get herd immunity. Let's hope and pray that the spring environment is hostile to the virus. However my guess is that the predicted recurring spikes are because the environment will not suppress the virus.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post: