Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-15-2020, 02:22 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 20,517 Times in 6,037 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Guy View Post
I drive a 99 Astro van and it's great. 22 in town 25 on the highway. No windows in the back, plus a pass thru cage, for security. Will fit a full sheet of 4 by 8 plywood, with the doors closed. I carried a riding lawnmower, 3 windows, a 36" metal door, lumber and tools, plus camping gear, last trip. Mine has AWD and a 2 inch lift, curbs don't matter. I have drove it on narrow trails that bigger trucks can't fit. Nice power for a small van.
Mine has a round flashing light on top and is all white with numbers and reflective stickers that makes it look like a utility vehicle. I built a bed in the back and can park anywhere, stealthy in the city. I leave a clipboard and a hardhat up front. You can go anywhere carrying a clipboard.
Thats sounds great.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 02:32 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPrepper View Post
I don’t get the idea that the vehicles that don’t do well off road won’t be going anywhere when 99.9% of even the most capable off-road SUVs aren’t going far if the roads are packed. Seriously how many private property fields do you plan to drive through? How many streams and rivers do you plan to get across without a bridge? The fantasy of the SUV getting you out of town any better than a Honda Civic isn’t realistic. Now if you live out in the country already and plan to bug out to Somewhere even more remote that can only be travel to buy some already developed Loggingtrail then maybe that is the other .1% use case.
Depends where you live.. My 2005 trailblazer will take me most places I need to go and its 4 wheel drive. Many of the routes I would take cross country if I had to require a vehicle with a bit of higher clearance.

I'm surrounded by dirt roads that cut cross country. Some are honda civic safe, some aren't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Any Mouse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 05:22 AM

My wife had a minivan and was great for the family with small kids. I would only drive it when the wife and kids were in it. Could never Be seen driving it by myself. Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecardenas113 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 07:13 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,412 Times in 2,393 Posts

FOR A while I had a Dodge full size van.

a basic commercial model. Could throw LOTS of camping, shooting,hunting everything in the back and I could get to whatever jumping off point I needed, so long as the weather held.
otherwise,
the weight to traction was all wrong.
I got so good at chaining up I should have entered competition.

I know people who have AWD minis, they like them but they have no illusions about it being the same as a SUV or pickup truck. We live up North. For that kind of thing they also own an SUV or puckup.

IF you never envision ever ever ever needing the vehicle for an emergency egress vehicle than the standard 2wd will get you into all the trouble when it happens you will ever need.

Every vehicle I have owned for the last 40 years has been 4wd or all wheel drive and that includes the wife's vehicles. She won't have one that isn't AWD or 4WD. And she is just a girl.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 08:33 AM

I was in the Jeep and Jeep building scene for 20 years, and went wheeling several times with groups of people. 85-90% of the time, I kept my Jeep in 2WD. When it got tough, I switched to 4WD.

Here in Michigan winters, every Jeep DD I had was in 2WD ~80% of the winter, as well. The winters are milder than they were when I was a kid, but it's still not a "moderate" climate here.

The most radical Jeep I built was a 2005 LJ (Unlimited) on 37s, 1-tons, and had a LSD rear/locker front. It was fun in a radical off-road course, but overkill for anything "bug-out", IMHO.

Bottom line...it probably depends on your local area, but to make a blanket claim 4WD is a necessity for a BOV is uninformed, at best. Right now, our BOV is a full-size Ford Transit cargo van that is RWD with a LSD. If I ever find that I need more, I may spring for a selectable locker, but I doubt it would ever come to that. Instead, I have traction ramps, a More Power Puller, and other basic recovery gear. Did I mention that this camper van in-progress is a mobile BOL and BOV at the same time? The benefits, for our purposes, far exceed the perceived negative regarding the lack of 4WD.

Craig
The Following User Says Thank You to 1x1_Speed_Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 02:39 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,958 Times in 3,785 Posts

would love to see pics from your rigs guys!

2nd line
Old 03-15-2020, 06:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,577 Times in 812 Posts

Well... This one is mine. Work in progress, perhaps infinitely halted.

Outside:

Inside:

(picture from dealer's ad)

It is a 5-seater, but the tilting 5th seat is stored in the garage, so effectively seats 4 now. Front passenger seat swivels around. There is enough room in the back for a full size 2 person bed lengthwise, even with the second row in place.

2.5L 5cyl diesel, AWD, ac and cruise. All the important parts.

If I ever get to finish it, this is what I'm aiming at:

Now the sad part is, I had it towed to my mechanic last week. I told him not to call me before weekend if he has bad news and he did not call. So either it is a major problem or he just has not had time to look at it yet...

My grand plan was to lift it (previous owner had it lowered on coilovers), add bigger wheels and some extra lights. Even bigger change was going to be in the inside: I wanted to re-classify it as an RV instead of a passenger van, it would have essentially halved my yearly insurance and taxes. To do that van has to have some kind of a cooker, a table and bed for at least two people.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 08:08 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
The most radical Jeep I built was a 2005 LJ (Unlimited) on 37s, 1-tons, and had a LSD rear/locker front. It was fun in a radical off-road course, but overkill for anything "bug-out", IMHO.
Maybe your idea of a bug out is different than mine. I cannot imagine the concept of 'overkill' for a bug out. Bug outs are very unlikely to succeed at the best of times. You can't ever have too much vehicle for one.

No region is free from things that are hard to drive on or through, ESPECIALLY if it's SHTF.

You can never have too much ground clearance, traction, or cargo capacity.

For instance:

https://abc7ny.com/amp/3613275/
[IMG][/IMG]
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 10:25 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,412 Times in 2,393 Posts

DO YOU at least use or plan on having capability to mount a cradle winch front and back on your van? All it takes is a good receiver mount.

That will really help you get by some of the short comings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 08:08 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,433 Times in 10,365 Posts

I have not changed my opinion of the perfect bug out vehicle, since I first read about the Wescotts building The Turtle 3.
Full sized diesel 4wd pickup with topper or light wt camper. Reposition spare tire and mount aux fuel tank under bed.

My personal version was a first gen Dodge Cummins W350 with a Lance camper, with 40 gal propane, 40 gal water, and 75 gal of diesel fuel.
This gave me an old school 4wd truck, with a 1,200 mile range. When I retired and escaped southern California, I sold the Lance, and kept the Dodge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 08:31 AM
Prepared

I have a fully loaded Toyota Sienna AWD minivan, and so far I love the thing. It's been great in the weather, has tons of room, and a mobile entertainment system for the kids. I always wanted to go full on truck 4x4 with lifts until for my perfect BOV until I had kids, now the minivan AWD is the way to go!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swatpup102 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 08:42 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 9,482 Times in 2,983 Posts

Exactly what I want
I Heart Toyota Sienna AWD minivan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
DO YOU at least use or plan on having capability to mount a cradle winch front and back on your van? All it takes is a good receiver mount.

That will really help you get by some of the short comings.
Mine has a rear hitch, and I'm fabricating a front receiver mount for it (Ford overlooked the "minor" detail of including a front recovery point...WTF?!?). I have a Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with synthetic line. It'll be a workout, but it'll do winching (and other homestead) duties.

Craig
Old 03-16-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Maybe your idea of a bug out is different than mine. I cannot imagine the concept of 'overkill' for a bug out. Bug outs are very unlikely to succeed at the best of times. You can't ever have too much vehicle for one.

No region is free from things that are hard to drive on or through, ESPECIALLY if it's SHTF.

You can never have too much ground clearance, traction, or cargo capacity.

For instance:

https://abc7ny.com/amp/3613275/
[IMG][/IMG]
I see your point, but every decision presents a series of compromises. A vehicle built to get through that will most likely get terrible mileage/fuel economy, so your range will be significantly less (all things equal fuel tank-wise). I went with a vehicle that checks most of the boxes I need, and still gets pretty decent fuel economy for its size (about 18.5 mpg so far with the odometer at 1300 miles).

Craig
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1x1_Speed_Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 05:06 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,384 Times in 1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
I see your point, but every decision presents a series of compromises. A vehicle built to get through that will most likely get terrible mileage/fuel economy, so your range will be significantly less (all things equal fuel tank-wise). I went with a vehicle that checks most of the boxes I need, and still gets pretty decent fuel economy for its size (about 18.5 mpg so far with the odometer at 1300 miles).

Craig
Not really; you don't really need anything huge to get through, but traction adders and a bit bigger, aggressive tires would help. A bigger, heavier duty vehicle can carry some extra gear and fuel, too.

A typical mini van won't handle the extra weight well, and the small fuel efficient engine, won't be, when it's struggling, and turning high rpm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post

Craig
I have found that regardless of fuel economy RANGE (which is important for a BOV) of consumer vehicles is the always about the same 300-350 miles per tanks. For instance, My subaru, 23 MPG and my Tundra 13 MPG both will go about 330 miles on a full tank, even though the tank size and MPG are very different.

Now, for a post SHTF runabout vehicle, mileage IS important but for that you will have more choice as to which roads, and what conditions you drive in.

The thing to remember about a BOV is that you will have no choice as to the weather, time of day, or roads you will take. All the smart driving that you can do to keep a 2WD vehicle on the road goes out the window as its no longer up to you.

But everything IS a compromise, few can afford a BOV that is only a BOV.

And a minivan IS a decent vehicle as long as it has AWD and good tires. Its not ideal but few things are ideal.

When it comes to bugging out you don't have to have the BEST vehicle in the world, you just have to a vehicle BETTER than most of the other people. The AWD minivan will be able to get a lot further, with a lot more stuff than any of the FWD cars, vans and trucks that people generally drive around.

No matter what the vehicle is, you have to be able to keep it moving down the road even if the road is not ideal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 PM
VIP Member

3.5L V6 DOHC 24-Valve with Dual VVT-i; 296 hp @ 6600 rpm, 263 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm
That is not a small engine
Seats 8
4,600 pound curb weight
Rated to tow 3,500 lbs
27 mpg highway
20 gallon fuel tank
Over 500 mile range
Pretty decent package
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 05:33 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
3.5L V6 DOHC 24-Valve with Dual VVT-i; 296 hp @ 6600 rpm, 263 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm
That is not a small engine
Seats 8
4,600 pound curb weight
Rated to tow 3,500 lbs
27 mpg highway
20 gallon fuel tank
Over 500 mile range
Pretty decent package
While that may not be a small engine it is certainly complicated. It's peak power is definitely at an impressive rpm. That will provide an abundance of fuel economy for sure.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:37 PM
VIP Member

My SBC 383 was at 430 foot pounds at 1,800 rpm on the dyno
Agree, that is a complicated engine that will last for 300,000 plus miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 05:42 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post