Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2019, 12:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 70,510 Times in 21,970 Posts
Default What SUV do I want?

Advertise Here

I've decided I'm going to sell my 2006 ranger because with my spinal injury it rides too rough on my dirt road. (Also typically getting ~17.7 MPG is absurd)

Disappointing as it only has 65k on it, I got it 3 years ago with 25,100 miles on it. (Ext cab, 4x4)

So first priority is a good ride.
Need 4x4
Better MPG would be nice.
Ranger will tow 5k, the CRV was looking good, but it won't even tow 2k lbs. That's absurd, and I often pull my little trailer (5x14) loaded with mulch or something and don't want to have to use my larger tow vehicle all the time.

I'd REALLY LIKE hooks or other attachment points on the front bumper area.
Buddy has a jeep liberty (comes close) that fits most of the above, but as a "girl jeep" as he calls it (he got a great deal) it has no front hooks.
(Had a Cherokee Sport.... Not crazy about jeeps, but his is good.)

I typically take my time and find a older, low millage creampuff model and take care of my vehicles, keeping them till 200k+ Or driving them for a couple years and breaking even or making money.
(Paid 12.5 for my ranger, expect I'll get most of that back)

Figure a SUV under 100k will be cheaper.
-I typically ID 3-4 acceptable models and go with the best deal.

I've had a Blazer and a 4 runner before, IMHO the Toyotas are overpriced on the used market even though they are excellent vehicles.

Since I'm not a car guy and they are just transportation for me I thought I'd ask.

Buying something like a first model 4 runner (not a fan of all these computer screens in new vehicles) and having it redone is not out of the question, but while I can work on cars, I don't like to, so I'd hire most of it out.... So it can't be too out of line financially.

Suggestions?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 03:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,221 Times in 598 Posts

How about a diesel Grand Cherokee? Jeep made them for 07 and 08, then reintroduced them again in 14 i think on to present day. I have an 07 Overland model, mine has the quadra drive 2 transfer case witch gives it full time 4x4 with traction control and the option of putting it into low range * low range has a super low crawl ratio * then when you put it into low range it kicks in a center diff lock and front and rear electric lockers= awesome * were talking Land Rover stuff here*
As far as the motor goes it's a Mercedes 3.0 common rail diesel it makes like 245 hp and 400 pounds of torque, mine averages about 21mpg around town.
It's rated to pull 8000 pounds and it has tow hooks can't beat that!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 03:34 AM
Survivor

Decided to pass on the diesels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 05:04 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 2,117 Times in 729 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can get anything you want for a liberty, being it's a jeep and their aftermarket is stupidly flooded with companies and options. Tow hooks shouldn't be a problem for that, and I'm fairly sure they made some kind of trail rated or offroad package for the liberty, if you want that route.

Old blazers have already stood the test of time. They're good little trucks, tough, fairly easy to work on. The vortec 4.3 is literally 3/4th of a small block 350 V8. Great torque, common parts, reliable. The fuel pumps are known for going, and it's not the easiest of jobs.

I don't know anything about jap trucks, other then despite them being so popular, I do hear about quite a few problems from them. A friend of mine just bought an 04 4runner from a friend's sister. Well taken care of, not beat or ever off roaded. He still has some kind of electrical gremlin that affects the dash lights and HVAC controls. It goes out all on its own, and the HVAC gets stuck on whatever position, speed, and temp it was put on, along with the lights going out.

It seems to me that US trucks may have their own problems, but while they may typically be a major part or bigger job to fix (ie: fuel pump), it's a straightforward parts swap; while imports may have less 'bigger' faults, they'll have more little problems, like that electrical problem, that could be even harder to diagnose and fix.

Me, I'll stay domestic whenever possible. One import I personally would look into is a 1st or 2nd gen CRV (the ones with the spare mounted in the back). I'd need the mileage of a 4cyl, and would only need to tow a small trailer to the dump, nothing heavy.
The Following User Says Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 05:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,015 Times in 4,068 Posts

The 5th gen 4Runners are expensive on the used market. That's the main reason I went with new. I'm getting 18 to 20mg with tires, lift, winch, and armor.

You might research the Lexus GX 460 and GX 470.
https://www.trucks.com/2019/07/09/ri...gx-off-roader/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/lexus/01/

Available under $20k on the used market. Lockers are available plus off road bumpers, lifts, winches, etc. Looking at 15-17mpg though.

Figure it's 300k engine - I'd feel safe looking at ones with 150k miles or less.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...owest&zc=65619

Otherwise, look at a full size trucks - F150 / Silverado. They are more comfortable on bumpy roads than small / midsize pickups.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 06:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,681 Times in 5,283 Posts

If you’re interested in keeping the Ranger, maybe consider reworking the suspension?

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/suspe...uck-suv/ranger

https://www.generalspringkc.com/smoo...ide_s/3147.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:35 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,367 Times in 5,100 Posts

I think any 4x4 SUV isn't gonna be a "comfortable" ride or get good gas mileage unless you go high end like Lexus, Infinity etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:44 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,327 Times in 3,954 Posts

And the problem with going with high end vehicles.... cost of repairs and maintenance
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:48 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,968 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Decided to pass on the diesels.
Probably a good call, I'm sorry to say. I have a broken down Liberty CRD I'm currently attempting to part out. Not worth fixing because the parts are just insane. The fuel mileage and power was great but as soon as you have to do a basic repair on the engine, the parts are so expensive that all your savings goes out the window. I'd take a look at a Subaru if I were in your position.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:48 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,327 Times in 3,954 Posts

Jeep
Just Expect Every Problem
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,131 Times in 8,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I've decided I'm going to sell my 2006 ranger because with my spinal injury it rides too rough on my dirt road. (Also typically getting ~17.7 MPG is absurd)

Disappointing as it only has 65k on it, I got it 3 years ago with 25,100 miles on it. (Ext cab, 4x4)

So first priority is a good ride.
Need 4x4
Better MPG would be nice.
Ranger will tow 5k, the CRV was looking good, but it won't even tow 2k lbs. That's absurd, and I often pull my little trailer (5x14) loaded with mulch or something and don't want to have to use my larger tow vehicle all the time.

I'd REALLY LIKE hooks or other attachment points on the front bumper area.
Buddy has a jeep liberty (comes close) that fits most of the above, but as a "girl jeep" as he calls it (he got a great deal) it has no front hooks.
(Had a Cherokee Sport.... Not crazy about jeeps, but his is good.)

I typically take my time and find a older, low millage creampuff model and take care of my vehicles, keeping them till 200k+ Or driving them for a couple years and breaking even or making money.
(Paid 12.5 for my ranger, expect I'll get most of that back)

Figure a SUV under 100k will be cheaper.
-I typically ID 3-4 acceptable models and go with the best deal.

I've had a Blazer and a 4 runner before, IMHO the Toyotas are overpriced on the used market even though they are excellent vehicles.

Since I'm not a car guy and they are just transportation for me I thought I'd ask.

Buying something like a first model 4 runner (not a fan of all these computer screens in new vehicles) and having it redone is not out of the question, but while I can work on cars, I don't like to, so I'd hire most of it out.... So it can't be too out of line financially.

Suggestions?
A 4 door Jeep Wrangler hard top sounds like what you need. I recently narrowed my choice to a Jeep Wrangler and a Toyota 4runner. I picked the 4runner because of price. It had more for less money. Air, road, and engine noise was a factor. The 4runner met 95% of my needs but not 95% of my wants. If I did not make long trips to see my son (two day rides) or 4 hour trips to the beach house, I would have got the Jeep. I am still somewhat disappointed I make a practical decision.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 10:21 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
I think any 4x4 SUV isn't gonna be a "comfortable" ride or get good gas mileage unless you go high end like Lexus, Infinity etc.
When I say comfortable:

After a long day I have to stop, once or several times between the blacktop and my house in the Ranger and just sit and rest.

In a full sized truck or suburban I can drive all the way home.

The liberty rides noticably better than the Ranger, but I haven't driven it in similar circumstances

didn't used to be this bad, and hopefully with the stem cells and PT it'll get better, but it's kinda pointless to hurt like this when I can fix it.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
And the problem with going with high end vehicles.... cost of repairs and maintenance
I'm on..... Less of a budget, more of a schedule for the next 5 or so years.
After that I'll have much more unallocated income.

Plan was to drive this little truck for 8, and then make it be my little "farm beater"

Buddy said his little liberty with 115k on it booked about $4k. If I'm not doing a truck I don't see a reason to spend more than the Ranger cost. (Next daily driver vehicle will probably be a 4 door large truck)
-but again, I'm fine looking at more expensive and finding a deal.

I'll look into getting the Ranger resprung, but I doubt it'll help the ride that much.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I will be following this.

I have an F350 CCLB and the ride is rough. I dont really mind it or the 10.3 gas mileage (non diesel). But looking for an SUV since I dont use the bed all that much. Wish the Excursions were still made.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:15 PM

4Runner's are nice. Sequoia's ride way better. A first Gen Sequoia in 4x4 would serve all your needs except maybe mpg's.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
#1 free option. Reduced air pressure in the tires.

These days there are TONS of options for making them ride WAY better than stock. Short version, invest in good quality rebuildable shocks with appropriate valving for your preferences and vehicle weight.

Is this a cheap option, generally no, but even a set of 2.0 Resi shocks with proper modern valving can do wonders. The sky is the limit these days with shocks technology generally. They can do AMAZING things with even bolt-in shock packages for well supported vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler, Toyota's, etc.

Rear spring rate is the other great compromise. It is really hard to retain a good payload/towing capacity AND a good ride when the vehicle is empty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
#1 free option. Reduced air pressure in the tires.

These days there are TONS of options for making them ride WAY better than stock. Short version, invest in good quality rebuildable shocks with appropriate valving for your preferences and vehicle weight.

Is this a cheap option, generally no, but even a set of 2.0 Resi shocks with proper modern valving can do wonders. The sky is the limit these days with shocks technology generally. They can do AMAZING things with even bolt-in shock packages for well supported vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler, Toyota's, etc.

Rear spring rate is the other great compromise. It is really hard to retain a good payload/towing capacity AND a good ride when the vehicle is empty.

Yup, some bags of concrete and or cinder blocks in the back or drive around with your ATV/riding mower/dirt bike back there and run the tires at a lower pressure= would help with ride quality a lot.
But you may loose a little on the fuel milage.
Just thinkin about your wallet...

Old 12-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnepig View Post
Yup, some bags of concrete and or cinder blocks in the back or drive around with your ATV/riding mower/dirt bike back there and run the tires at a lower pressure= would help with ride quality a lot.
But you may loose a little on the fuel milage.
Just thinkin about your wallet...

The correct lighter spring rate for day to day use with a supplemental air-bag for load capacity is fairly affordable and 'easy' solution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,721 Times in 2,472 Posts

"GIRLS JEEP" or not..
LIbertys are great vehicles for the bucks.

My wife is on her third one. She was an RN for 40+ years and ran the outpaitient surgery for the local hospital and she had to be to work at 0500. We live in northern Mich. Many times she was the first vehicle making tracks through the snow to get to work.

She is on her 3rd Liberty. Her first was a lease and she regretted ever turning it in. The 2nd one she bought. Put 180,000 on it then gave it to one of our boys to drive and he put another 100,000 on it before trading it in.
Her 2012 is the last production year.
These things never broke down and just ran and took on everything our winters could deliver. She will give it up when I pry it from her cold dead hands. I keep trying to put her into something newer but NO is always the answer.

I have taken the Libertys through terrain I never thought they could handle, but they did.
If you can get by the civilized appearance you can have a great vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Prepared

Quote:
"I'm on..... Less of a budget, more of a schedule for the next 5 or so years.
After that I'll have much more unallocated income."

The parts may be obtainable but the labor will kick him in the nuts...