How will you react in an actual "combat" situation? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detroit residents fight back over water shutoff: "It's a life-or-death situation" cnpiso Political News and Discussion 91 07-24-2014 04:37 PM
Wal-Mart Situation "Getting Worse" New Leaks Reveal sierra skier Financial Forum 51 03-08-2013 12:01 PM
Panetta opens combat roles to women "OFFICIAL THREAD" Tap Water Political News and Discussion 92 02-09-2013 10:22 PM
do "dark pools" limit the Feds ability to react? LordOpie Financial Forum 18 11-23-2012 11:28 PM
$19.99 for Combat Ready Knives¯ L2 Tactical "Puzzle Darko" Folder & Free Shipping! (4 GearHog GearHog 1 11-23-2012 01:10 AM
How to react when meeting others while "bugging out" America's Patriot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 76 08-19-2012 09:41 AM
The "Actual Value" of a silver round. Cool Hand Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 59 12-02-2011 08:12 AM
Short film "Disconnected"....in light of Egypt's situation delta504 Books, Movies & Stories 0 01-28-2011 09:58 PM
People react to the word "Survivalism". jdg10000 New Member Introduction 12 02-06-2010 07:53 PM
Actual Costs of "Cash For Clunkers" uga1983 General Discussion 1 11-01-2009 06:32 AM

Old 04-05-2009, 01:12 AM
RH-O Negative

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,498 Posts
Default How will you react in an actual "combat" situation?

Advertise Here

This is my first thread and I decided to start it after "Old Philosopher" got me to thinking about it in a post: https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...379#post598379 .

If TSHF, in a real life situation, how would you react and deal with a real life combat type situation? A "you against them" type of situation. Below are some general questions that I tend to run through in my mind to help prepare myself mentally to survive in this situation.

1) Would you be able to rally your family to stand behind you when they are terrified and having a mental breakdown or extreme denial of how bad the situation is?

2) Would you be able to make the difficult, life and death, decisions needed on a daily basis without mentally breaking down yourself?

3) Will you have the necessary skills to plan ahead and do what is needed to survive in a harsh environment without outside support?

4) Would you be able to take the life of another person, if need be, for the safety and betterment of your family and group?

5) How would you react to challenges, to your leadership position, from other members of your family or group?

6) Could you deal with the death of a loved one or a member of your group and continue on as their leader?

7) Could you forcibly take the food and supplies of another, if it was the only way for your family to survive? (This ought to be a good one to hear comments from: morals, religion and personal beliefs)

Please help all of us by answering any of the questions above that you feel comfortable with.

Last edited by mastersergeant; 04-05-2009 at 03:02 AM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mastersergeant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 AM
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Thanked 1,261 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersergeant View Post

I am opening this up for discussion because I am of the opinion that if a person has seen combat, they don't want a second dose of it. Please tell me how you feel and if you disagree with me.
Well, I have not seen combat...unless you count arguing with the wife ...but I have two close, childhood friends who've been to Iraq...they came back different. Not the same guys I've known for the last 25 years. I'd have to agree that there probably aren't many who'd look forward to repeating that experience. God bless anyone who's seen action.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dv0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,795 Times in 744 Posts

Each time you are faced with a real life SHTF situation the answers may change. Even if you have been in a real world mission, you never know how you will react the next time. They are very good and legit questions. Soldiers and LEO can perform regularly in hostile environments without missing a beat, but one day something a little different occurs and they just might break. You never truly know, until after each individual encounter is over. Good thread. I hope it makes everyone think about what's ahead, if we every have a EOTWAWKI situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to LLX45 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Trapper

IF zombie day comes to happen, and at this point, it's seeming increasingly difficult to imagine that it wont... then every dollar you spend now is going to be worth 100 right before the collapse, and worth 1000 during the collapse, and priceless after the collapse.

Everyone on these boards should be reading your post, and thinking to themselves about they will react to this situation so they can prepare themselves for it... but the membership of this board and others like it is a pitiful portion of America (or the world at large) and that's a massive piece of whats wrong today. The people who are reading this forum are going to have to face the people who never will read this forum. And when SHTF, those people will know only a very few things... food, water, fire, and spur of the moment alliances, and they will use others corpses for traction as they crawl up from their pathetic life and failure to protect themselves and their family from events like this.

When you look around the office at work, unless you work in the product testing section of REI or something... do you see your friends "after zombie day" or do you see people who are coming to you because they know YOU have food, and ammo, and guns, and they have mouths to feed...

Are you going to plug them? And if you do, you guarantee their provider (who failed epic to provide for his family) is now removed, and then Mom has to use her abilities to secure food and water, wonder how she will do that? If she's spent her years going to the day spa, and shuttling kids back and forth from soccer practice, to the nanny and blah blah blah...

Or you could invite them in! they could share their your food! Your prep's for 12 months are now going to last... well, is it 6 months? 3? do they have more kids than you and it's weeks now instead of months? How many of them showed up? Is it days now instead of months?

Now you're the locusts. Now you're the zombies.

Operational Security guys and gals. Think about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hatch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 01:44 AM
"Through a glass, darkly"

Thanked 1,389 Times in 715 Posts
Default Worth saying twice.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Philosopher
I'm going out on a limb with you here, and say that ANY sane person who has experienced combat, doesn't want a repeat.
That leaves two types who are looking forward to "fighting it out" with TPTB: They either have no combat experience, or they are not sane. I'm not talking about the folks who will stand their ground, if pushed far enough. I'm talking about the ones constantly crying, "Bring it on!"
I know guys who left the RVN and never left the war. They got jobs as mercenaries in S. America, or Africa. The were unbalanced by their experiences. Sorry...they got a screw knocked loose over there.
I also know that the guy in the alley, suffering from PTS Syndrome for the past 40 years is REAL.
Anybody who thinks they are ready to go into a combat situation, and come out mentally and physically sound, is out of their rabid ass mind!
Anybody who is champing at the bit, chanting "Bring it on, baby!", is either an armchair Rambo, a fool, or insane.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Old Philosopher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 AM
In Bat Country

Thanked 1,362 Times in 660 Posts

No one really knows... even soldiers who are combat vets still have no idea if they can handle everything that is comming their way. There was a British Vet who had functioned and fought all the way through the war (WW1)... as he stepped off the train at home, he collaped into a fetal postion, and he was institutionalized.

To steal a quote from Band of Brothers...

"The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it."

Becoming a raider is not plan A (or b, c, d, or e) but i will not say that I would "Never" do it to save my family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 02:06 AM

Thanked 2,094 Times in 744 Posts

There are some questions that you asked that probably don't apply to me because my situation in a shtf scenario is probably going to be more from a defending the home and keeping things running here perspective.

I won't be a person who's going to be out in combat. Although I suppose if the situation breaks down badly enough, it could be a possibility. I'm not ruling out anything, but I just don't see it happening.

I'll just base my answers on the home defense perspective for now.

Speaking as a woman who's husband goes out on deployment, we as a family have already defined my role as the head of the family. I'm the leader, period.

We've all, already had continous conversations with all the adults on how bad things can get. We've discussed rationing of provisions, division of chores, standing guard duties and even tactical manuvers if the house is under attack. We've made sure that everyone here knows how to handle a gun......right down the the 11 year old granddaughter. Not that I'd ever want her to be in that position, but my point is that she can if she has to.

I think that the only gap that we have in the plan is how and when to escape if we have to and we're actively working on that.

As far as taking provisions from others...I have to really weigh that out. During normal circumstances I'm completely against theft of any kind. Something my grandparents bred into me that stealing was just plain wrong That was something that only the most lowlife scum of the earth would ever do. Especially during the depression when everyone was hungry and in need.
I'd have a real hard time doing anything like that. I know this might sound lame, but I'd have an easier time taking the life of someone who was threatening my family than to steal something from another starving family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belladonna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 AM

Thanked 2,094 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
IF zombie day comes to happen, and at this point, it's seeming increasingly difficult to imagine that it wont... then every dollar you spend now is going to be worth 100 right before the collapse, and worth 1000 during the collapse, and priceless after the collapse.

Everyone on these boards should be reading your post, and thinking to themselves about they will react to this situation so they can prepare themselves for it... but the membership of this board and others like it is a pitiful portion of America (or the world at large) and that's a massive piece of whats wrong today. The people who are reading this forum are going to have to face the people who never will read this forum. And when SHTF, those people will know only a very few things... food, water, fire, and spur of the moment alliances, and they will use others corpses for traction as they crawl up from their pathetic life and failure to protect themselves and their family from events like this.

When you look around the office at work, unless you work in the product testing section of REI or something... do you see your friends "after zombie day" or do you see people who are coming to you because they know YOU have food, and ammo, and guns, and they have mouths to feed...

Are you going to plug them? And if you do, you guarantee their provider (who failed epic to provide for his family) is now removed, and then Mom has to use her abilities to secure food and water, wonder how she will do that? If she's spent her years going to the day spa, and shuttling kids back and forth from soccer practice, to the nanny and blah blah blah...

Or you could invite them in! they could share their your food! Your prep's for 12 months are now going to last... well, is it 6 months? 3? do they have more kids than you and it's weeks now instead of months? How many of them showed up? Is it days now instead of months?

Now you're the locusts. Now you're the zombies.

Operational Security guys and gals. Think about it.
Gawd Hatch you're so right about everything that you said. And I give it great thought every single day. Even my mother (she's 69) who has been putting up food has been having reoccuring nightmares about starving women with their children on her doorstep begging for food.

I see those women.....and men who are utterly clueless when I go out grocery shopping. I can't help but to want to shake them until their teeth rattle to get them to wake up. Those are going to be the ones begging the government to help them when the sh*t goes down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belladonna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 02:56 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,909 Times in 4,195 Posts

I've been in combat. I went into it with all kinds of fantasies and delusions of grandeur. I had watched too many war movies.

The most poignant feeling (which I still remember 16 years later like it was yesterday) about those days is shame. Shame at how afraid for my life I became when I found myself under fire.

All my hero fantasies dispersed like smoke in the wind. All I wanted was to be safe again for long periods of time.

I have no hero fantasies anymore; just fear. Fear for myself and even more, for my little ones and for the rest of my family.

Preparing mitigates my fears to a certain degree.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,459 Times in 5,100 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I think some of your questions are dealt with in some other threads. But still a good thread and questions.

I am into defense and not much into offense. Is owning a bunker on remote mtn land not Defensive? I do not like flying bullets and doubt I would enjoy combat. Would anyone really enjoy It?? and I truly think my underground shelter-bunker is capable of stopping any bullet, even grenades. Hopefully most know what I am talking about and can look in the Nuclear NBC forum to see my thread on that.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,607 Times in 8,861 Posts

"You will fight like you train." is an old saying and its true. I've trained for a variety of different combat situations and I train people to survive combat situations. Now because of everything that I've been through, people turn to me to teach them what and how to do things when under fire. No matter who I train, I understand a number of things.

#1. I can not teach you to never be afraid. I can teach you what to do when threatened but when things go bad, the fear will still be there. You're the one who has to control your own fear. What my training does is teach you to react to certain combat stimuli and how to stop your attacker.
#2. My tactics that I teach people are simple, direct and effective. We practice them until they have them down pat and can do them smoothly. If I can get you to be smooth and accurate, then you will automatically respond to crisis situations in a proper manner.
#3. I teach people that, "There is always one more bad guy coming at you. Don't relax until back-up help arrives and even then be cautious." Just because you've shot 4 bad guys doesn't mean that there isn't a number 5 bad guy. Stay alert!
#4. I teach about accuracy over speed. Speed will come naturally and through practice. Accuracy is the ultimate judge when trouble hits. At close range, head shots. Body shots out beyond 10 or 12 yards. I teach double taps and Mozambique shooting concepts.
#5. The pistol is a secondary or back-up firearm and a shoulder-mounted firearm should be your first choice for fighting with dirt bags. Both firearms are then backed-up by a good sheath knife.
#6. I teach that use of a scope on a rifle or shotgun enhances the overall accuracy for that firearm, not turn it into a sniper weapon.
#7. I communicate my points to new shooters with accuracy, humor and demonstrations. I don't just tell them something without explaining it or showing what I mean.
#8. Even though I teach firearms to police, civilians and military personnel, I frequently take courses from other firearms instructors for review purposes and to steal good material. Actually, even though I have been through half a dozen basic pistol courses, I still take additional basic courses just to refresh what I know. (I was kidding about stealing material. Review point # 7.)
#9. I teach people how to transition back and forth between firearms. From rifle to pistol and back the other way. I do this over and over until it becomes automatic in its nature. That way if a person's rifle jams or falls apart in a crisis, that student of mine will automatically and smoothly pull out his pistol without hesitation, frustration or confusion.

Like I said before, I can't teach you to not be afraid. Fear is a natural thing. It is something that YOU have to control, not me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,909 Times in 4,195 Posts

I never did pee myself and I was able to control my fear so I could function (and I functioned well enough) but when all is said and done, actual combat is an ugly, unpredictable thing that hardly ever goes the way you want it or expect it to.

I am trying to make the point that there is no glamor in it like they show in movies. It happens fast and it's pretty much out of everyone's control as soon as it begins.

When it's over, if you're still this side of things, you look at the casualties (on both sides) and it seems so surreal and pointless.

There are at least two different types of reactions to facing death. Some seem more capable to embrace it, or close their mind to it; others find it a life reaffirming thing, where they realize how much they have to live for and how... not ready to die they are.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Conservative

Thanked 1,620 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersergeant View Post
This is my first thread and I decided to start it after "Old Philosopher" got me to thinking about it in a post: https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...379#post598379 .

If TSHF, in a real life situation, how would you react and deal with a real life combat type situation? A "you against them" type of situation. Below are some general questions that I tend to run through in my mind to help prepare myself mentally to survive in this situation.

1) Would you be able to rally your family to stand behind you when they are terrified and having a mental breakdown or extreme denial of how bad the situation is?
I have been working on that already, however I think my wife and youngest daughter will have the worst time with it when TSHTF.

2) Would you be able to make the difficult, life and death, decisions needed on a daily basis without mentally breaking down yourself?

I have been one that always operates best when under pressure, but for a prolonged scenario I don't think anyone knows for sure.

3) Will you have the necessary skills to plan ahead and do what is needed to survive in a harsh environment without outside support?

Absolutely

4) Would you be able to take the life of another person, if need be, for the safety and betterment of your family and group?

I have always looked at any person that would even think of harming my family as no more than a useless animal and would treat them accordingly, nothing is more important to me than kids and grand kid, no mercy from me in that department.

5) How would you react to challenges, to your leadership position, from other members of your family or group?

I have always had "alpha male" status in my home and outside of my home, and to be honest I doubt that would be a problem. People always seem to look to me for answers ( I never could figure out why)

6) Could you deal with the death of a loved one or a member of your group and continue on as their leader?

I would have to say that this is my greatest weakness, I cannot fathom how I would react, I know plenty of people that have lost their children, It ain't pretty. I really don't know about this one.

7) Could you forcibly take the food and supplies of another, if it was the only way for your family to survive? (This ought to be a good one to hear comments from: morals, religion and personal beliefs)

Could I? Sure, Would I? I would like to say no. But I think that if my family were starving or in need of shelter, medical care ect. my moral compass my end up thrown out the window, desperate people will do desperate things, one reason I have been preparing, so I won't be desperate. I would hope that I could be in a position to help others and not have to think about taking from others.

Please help all of us by answering any of the questions above that you feel comfortable with.
That's my .02
Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,021 Times in 3,380 Posts

Hatch, I agree that many haven't given OpSec much thought. Some days I feel like Clark Kent; that is the person everyone sees.

As for what I would do if/when T*HTF, I would hope I could do what the situation called for, but this is based on past experiences in (albeit minor) with 'situations'. Just yesterday, I was driving home and was the first person on the scene of a house fire. Three young (to me that is anyone under 30) people came running out of a house which was almost engulfed by that time. I calmly handled them until the fire department got there.

In other situations when my own children were young (and now grandchildren are young) I have been eerily calm in the midst of trauma, often the only one who could do something.

While I would hope I would 'deal' with marauders, I think I'd be on automatic pilot. I tend to deal in an almost surreal way, only to think about it later. I know I do kick into survival mode when I feel threatened, so could I ....?.... yes, I could. Without a doubt. Anyone knocking on my door (or worse) would not be invited in for tea.

Last edited by grandma; 04-05-2009 at 08:15 AM..
Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 AM

I will, as I have in the past, fought as I was trained. Those lessons served me well when I needed them too, and I'm 150% confident they will again should those skills again be needed.
Same thing as my friends.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 27,044 Times in 10,520 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

ive been to position 4 against a suspect twice with a handgun, and drew down on a looter just after Ike. Never pulled the trigger, but I felt that my actions were automatic and smooth. Hell I dont even remember de-holstering the handgun either time.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 AM

years ago in the military i was fine it was just automatic reflexes that took over and didnt think about it till after it was over,few years back it was automatic but didnt have to shoot,i think sitting around just thinking about it would just make you nervous,how i would do now i dont know im a lot older now but think i would still be fine ,you will never know till it happens to you.i have had bullets go by me in the past like angry bees and heard the whop of them hitting things around me and it didnt panic or stop me from fireing back.
The Following User Says Thank You to olddude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 12:56 PM

I think that in any situation being prepared is the main answer. So with that said, agreeing with others, all training leads to being prepared. I feel that I am prepared for most situations. There are probably only a few people that I would invite in empty handed. Now, then there are those that are not emptied handed, someone willing to bring something to the goal. Lets be honest, TSHTF the bottom line to me is survival for myself and family. Family including those non-blood related. The decions to be made will greatly challenge and most of the time go against many ethical and moral guide lines. But, look at the big picture and what you are prepared for. You didn't spend countless hours prepariing to help sheep. I am sure most on this forum are like myself I try to give insight to those who follow the heard, without giving particulars, eventhough they don't listen most of the time its that one that you will get through to. Thats one less to worry about having to turn away.

Sorry neighbor, I didn't plan for your family, I guess I am not so crazy now huh...
Old 04-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,659 Times in 840 Posts

It's hard to know.

I've been trying to mentally prepare myself for years.

My friends in the military always say...either your actions will be automatic the first time, or you'll curl up in a fetal position and cry. About half or more will curl up and cry.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
"You will fight like you train." is an old saying and its true. I've trained for a variety of different combat situations and I train people to survive combat situations. Now because of everything that I've been through, people turn to me to teach them what and how to do things when under fire. No matter who I train, I understand a number of things.
I believe this point is very important when it comes to your skillset. Practicing different drills and situations prepares for when you're under stress and default back to training. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Practice.

Of course, things could be very different for those of us that haven't seen one lick of real combat if we're ever suddenly introduced to it. All that training might go out the window, "buck fever" hits and mistakes might happen. But I hope the preparation and training I practice now will prevent that and give confidence if I ever need to call upon those skills.

Mindset is something I consider a lot, too. All of that training and lead downrange won't be worth squat if I can't follow through with it. This is something I really had to get down before even considering concealed carry.