Scottish vs. English - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scottish Independence? What does it mean for US? Lawyerman Political News and Discussion 147 09-19-2014 06:40 PM
The Scottish Cow Mels thinkingitover Jokes, Humor & Music 2 07-03-2013 04:58 AM
Scottish Airguns Will Be Licensed Triple-sod British Isles and ROI 12 08-16-2012 04:41 PM
Scottish Air Traffic Control REM Jokes, Humor & Music 0 10-07-2011 11:24 AM
Greetings from a cold Scottish island... Tanglewood New Member Introduction 25 03-17-2011 06:21 AM
Scottish Oatcakes diamond lil Recipes 3 09-29-2010 01:24 PM
A Warm Scottish HELLO!!! :) ShuggyShug New Member Introduction 13 07-14-2009 03:14 PM
Scottish DUI test highland-bushcraft Jokes, Humor & Music 9 05-29-2009 11:13 PM
Your favourite Scottish bands. Yorkshire Boy Jokes, Humor & Music 42 09-17-2008 04:59 PM

Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,298 Times in 1,579 Posts
Default Scottish vs. English

Advertise Here

I used to work in a hospital.

One of the nurses there was a fellow from a town just outside of London. He was my age, about 5 foot 5 inches tall and relatively thin. The biggest memory of him I have is despite being so small he could really drink a truly huge amount of beer. You knew when he was drunk because he would start trashing American beer and telling us all about what "real" beer was like...

Overall a real nice guy and a lot of fun to be around.

Anyway one day they brought a patient in who was from Scotland.

As soon as they heard the English guy speak they started screaming about him and demanded they be given another nurse to tend to them. The English guy didn't act any better as he was acting like a cat that had been thrown in cold water.

I was assigned to the lady and I helped her with paperwork and did a procedure or two on her. Once the English guy was gone she turned out to be a very friendly and jovial person.

Anytime she was within eyesight or earshot of the English guy she would start yelling about him being a GD #@%#@%#. I cant remember what the word was and Id never heard it before. I guess it was some slang term but it sure ****ed the English guy off.

Does anybody know the word or can anyone speculate on it?

I promise I wont use it to anyone's displeasure I just would like to remember what that word was.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Hiker

Sassenach?

It is said Sass-en-ach (with the obligatory back of the throat sound we scots use with the ch sound)

Noun

Singular
sassenach

Plural
sassenachs

sassenach (plural sassenachs)

1. (Scotland, pejorative) An English person; also a lowland Scot.

Last edited by Half-Crown; 04-16-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 20,733 Times in 7,374 Posts

Probable something strong than calling him a Saxon.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Scarred for life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wook View Post
Sassenach?

It is said Sass-ern-ach (with the obligatory back of the throat sound we scots use with the ch sound)

Noun

Singular
sassenach

Plural
sassenachs

sassenach (plural sassenachs)

1. (Scotland, pejorative) An English person; also a lowland Scot.

Why would calling someone that make them so mad?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy123 View Post
I think that's it...

What does it mean and why does it **** English guys off so bad?
I think I was editing my post as you posted. It's Gaelic, and the Scots have about 1000 years of bad blood between them and the English so I guess their word for them would be inherently offensive.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,787 Times in 4,501 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Yer we have a few for the Scots as well but i don't use them as i'm not anti Scot or welsh and some of us are a little more grown up than to resort to petty name calling when we all have to live on the same island.

Ive never heard of a Scottish guy comming to an English hospital and asking to be put in another cubical if that happened now that guy would have been refused treatment and sent packing,i have some very nice Scottish neighbours and we all get on great.

Last edited by AncientBrit; 04-15-2009 at 07:32 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I think I was editing my post as you posted. It's Gaelic, and the Scots have about 1000 years of bad blood between them and the English so I guess their word for them would be inherently offensive.
LMFAO a thousand years of bad bloodMost of us have moved on you know LOL
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks65 View Post
LMFAO a thousand years of bad bloodMost of us have moved on you know LOL
Well I'm aware of that But Scotland and England were in a state of near continual war for the first 700 of those thousand, and for the remaining 300 there was varying degrees of viewing the English as "occupiers".

Some folk still take all that rather seriously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Crown For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well I'm aware of that But Scotland and England were in a state of near continual war for the first 700 of those thousand, and for the remaining 300 there was varying degrees of viewing the English as "occupiers".

Some folk still take all that rather seriously.
More the fools them then LOL

Id be in total support of Scotland having its independence from England if that's what they want,just don't hate me for something i had no power over or involvement in.

Anyway i'm off for a nice glass of scotch so peace my northern brothers and sisters.

Last edited by AncientBrit; 04-15-2009 at 07:37 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to AncientBrit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Scarred for life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks65 View Post
Ive never heard of a Scottish guy comming to an English hospital and asking to be put in another cubical if that happened now that guy would have been refused treatment and sent packing,i have some very nice Scottish neighbours and we all get on great.

It wasn't an English hospital.

It was an American hospital and one of the Nurses was an English expat... The Scottish woman was married to an American and living here as well.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Id always thought of all people from "that island" as English. I guess kind of how all Americans are Yankees to those in Europe, although you wouldn't call some people around here that and not get well lets just say fussed at...
The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,360 Times in 658 Posts

think the war of northern aggression for 700 years followed by cultural genicide. the history of the UK is one of hatred and destruction.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 PM
RKBA SNBI

Look up Culloden 1747 and the way the English treated the Scots afterwards...btw, the English banned weapons in that area and thoroughy abused the populace. Not that that's much different than any conqueror to the conquered. But think about 2nd amendment and why we should keep our arms. Sorry, I drifted a bit.

There's a series of novels by Diana Gabaldon about an Englishwoman married to a Scot in the 1700's. He called her Sassenach, but in a friendly loving way, unlike the hatred with which many Scots used it.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:45 AM
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh

It's true they banned Tartans, the wearing of Tartans, Clans, associations with Clans, speaking our native tongues (much like they did/you did to your natives!!), they even banned the Bagpipes (bloody heathens!!)

Tsk tsk Countryboy Id always thought of all people from "that island" as English. that is a mistake that I see on these boards again and again. I try not to let it get to me - but sometimes it does and I shout 'ignoramus' at the monitor LOL but I get over it.
Thankfully we Brits do agree on more than we disagree these days (we may all need to band together sooner rather than later) however we are all still defensive of our roots and proud of them too. And that's a good thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Passes Wind For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,332 Times in 1,621 Posts

As a person of Scottish decent, I have studied and understand the "bad vibes". I would think it would be akin to how the black population would feel if a southerner started up a plantation and started hiring only blacks to work as "field hands" in exchange for room and board and hired whites with dogs to guard the fences. The feeling go that deep.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 AM
E&E enthusiast

Ok as an Englishman who is very proud to be British i think most of the bad blood is stoked up by politiceans and the media, yes there are deep seated problems from the past but instead of fighting about them the Scotish and English....and the Welsh and Northen Irish would be better off seeing how the govermets are destroying these great lads before our eyes, they are happy for us to be banging heads over the past while they destroy the future.
Im lucky enough to be able to list Scotish, Welsh ,Ulstermen and Englishmen amoungst my friends but above all we are all British.
The Following User Says Thank You to Englander For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Hiker

I have my own theories about the make-up of the UK now, and it transcends borders. I think there are basically four kinds of people in the UK - although I am painting with a fairly broad brush so take with a pinch of salt.

1, The Edinburgh/London toffs - the traditional ruling class

2, The honest working class. I think these are now mostly confined to the countryside. Having travelled around I was astonished at how at home I, a rural Scot, felt in places like Yorkshire. These people are the "Silent Majority". Many of these "workers" are now unemployed due to the economy tanking, but they are not inured to the benefits lifestyle. They want to work for a living.

3, The benefits class - their Grandad probably worked for a living, but neither they or their dad did. Used as a political stick with which to beat the honest working people, as they are easily manipulated and interested in maintaining the status quo - because the status quo is what is maintaining them. Largely confined to deprived inner city areas.

4, The immigrants - they and their descendants make up between 10-20% of the population now. Some, like the Eastern Europeans, are here to "asset strip" the country. The collect a wage while spending as little as possible. Some, like the Middle Easterners and Indian Sub-Continent arrivals, are here to stay and are very politically active. They hope to encourage political change that can facilitate them bringing more family members over. Generally they will side with whatever political movement will side with them.

It's not really about national identity anymore - although I am a bit of a Scottish Independence freak myself.

What we need to do is get rid of the toffs and get the honest people working. The benefits class would eventually fall into line. And we need to stop labour being brought in, or we'll never ever get the benefits class working again.

Just my 2 cents of course

Last edited by Half-Crown; 04-16-2009 at 07:25 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Crown For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taisdealach View Post
think the war of northern aggression for 700 years followed by cultural genicide. the history of the UK is one of hatred and destruction.
I take it you won't be visiting soon then LOL
Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Passes Wind View Post
It's true they banned Tartans, the wearing of Tartans, Clans, associations with Clans, speaking our native tongues (much like they did/you did to your natives!!), they even banned the Bagpipes (bloody heathens!!)
When you stop to think about it you'll thank us. :D
Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Haha

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,086 Posts

An island that has been invaded and conquered numerous times with forced assmilation I think the people there now get along quite well.

Although I heard the Muslims are becoming a problem.

-Cade
The Following User Says Thank You to cadethepagan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 AM
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_bear View Post
When you stop to think about it you'll thank us. :D
Mmmn...............Nah.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Passes Wind For This Useful Post: