Weedinhoe's 2016-2020 Garden - Page 72 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IceFire's Farm and Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 547 Today 09:22 AM
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 40 01-02-2019 09:00 PM
2018 - 2019 hunting season stands ready? kev Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 1 10-01-2018 09:36 PM
Fall / winter 2018 - 2019 prepping plans? kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 09-21-2018 08:36 PM
Garden Planning for 2018 Cabinlife Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 02-18-2018 12:00 PM

Old 03-27-2020, 10:37 AM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 26,484 Times in 7,807 Posts
Default CAW!

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
Wow, that's high! I knew about the effects of inulin but never checked the carb count. Thanks for that bit of info. I try to keep carbs down when I can. However I think that if the S ever did HTF we'd need carbs for the extra manual labor powered by a different kind of gas.
Yup caw!

I'll bee eating the "bad stuff" too.....

I've found that the more "exercise" the better my numbers get.

I have to watch out for going hypo....

As I wont take the meds its a tricky little dance at times....
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2020, 08:54 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 5,959 Times in 2,296 Posts

Yesterday I noticed that the recently planted peas in pea bed #2 are popping up. This is the latest I've ever planted peas but that bed was way too wet to plant when the other one was. Wando peas are supposed to be heat tolerant and now it will be near the end of May before they get ready for picking. We will see. At least the two beds will be ready at different times.

The Yukon Gold potatoes and recently sown turnips also poked up yesterday.

The oaks are starting to pollinate and are also pushing little leaves. Shade is increasing every day and soon the ground will be covered with a thick mat of what i call dingle dangles.

The Indian Hawthorne 'Georgia Petite' are starting to bloom and are putting a slight sweet scent into the air.

We've had several days of temps in the upper 80's. I can just hear the nematodes waking up. But Tuesday should bring rain and more seasonal cooler temps. I think I will throttle the urge to plant summer squash seed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 12:47 PM
gardener & news junkie

Plants are starting to accumulate on the front porch with some coming and some going. It's the regular annual procession of stuff hardening off and eventually comes down to all-summer residents after everything else has been planted.

This is a mix of some broccoli, thyme, peppers, a dwarf tomato and a new darker-red roselle called 'St. Kitts and Nevis'.

The parsley is bolting as is the arugula. I should have started another 6-pack of parsley sooner but dilly dallied until two days ago. But I will leave the bolting ones to go to seed for collection and the plants for munching when the butterfly larva appear.

The dwarf cherry tomatoes have been something to play with before the regular tomatoes get going. The second one from the left is a very stocky 'Red Robin' that has one cherry tomato on it. The others are 'Whippersnapper' and supposedly will fall over and trail down. They're loaded with flowers.

The peppers are up and under the lights. I got them started early because they're slow. Tomatoes will be seeded on Tuesday.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 01:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,057 Posts

Beware those cherry tomatoes! I've found that they'll take over the Universe if you let them. I keep mine pruned 'way back and they're still incredibly prolific. Doesn't keep me from planting a chocolate cherry this year though
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 11:32 PM
Free of the Wilderness

Thanked 10,498 Times in 2,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
Beware those cherry tomatoes! I've found that they'll take over the Universe if you let them. I keep mine pruned 'way back and they're still incredibly prolific. Doesn't keep me from planting a chocolate cherry this year though
I planted Cherry Tomatoes once, many years ago, and got so many that I didn't know what to do with them all.

I have not grown them again since.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettTheOkie View Post
I planted Cherry Tomatoes once, many years ago, and got so many that I didn't know what to do with them all.

I have not grown them again since.
Exactly! I can only eat so much shakshuka (a Middle Eastern egg and tomato dish) and they're a pain to try canning with. They're good in salads though. I have no problem pruning them back mercilessly! Otherwise I'd have nothing else!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM
gardener & news junkie

These are dwarf cherry tomato plants so I have no idea how many tomatoes they'll produce. If they really do make it will be nice to have some until the regular ones start making. Once that happens I can give away the dwarf plants or dump them.

BUT.... plans call for growing one each of two new-to-me cherries this spring. One that I've heard glowing reports of is 'Brad's Atomic Grape'. The other is 'Camp Joy'. Fortunately I have a friend two miles away who will take a bunch when I'm in overload status. And in the summer I really love a meal of chilled tuna salad with lots of cherry tomato halves dumped on top.

Both are OP and I'll be saving seeds so if that's successful and any of you want some seed for next year, just let me know.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:03 PM
gardener & news junkie

ďSpring is bustiní out all overĒ, says the old song and around here itís true. Despite all the pollen itís always a special time when the earth renews itself and dresses up for the occasion.

Chinese Fringe (Loropetalum chinense) sports its red fringy flowers while the green foliage begins taking on its burgundy tint. It will bloom off and on all spring and summer.

Fothergilla x ĎMt. Airyí is a two season plant. In spring it sports bottle brush-like blooms that have a slightly sweet scent. Turning into ho hum green for the summer, the leaves will turn to flaming red in the fall before falling off and leaving the plant naked for the winter.

Grancy Graybeard (Chionanthus virginicus) is a rather awkward tree whose branches grow in a rather untidy, every-which-way fashion but itís glorious in bloom. Thatís the redeeming quality thatís kept it from the chainsaw.

And finally, the muscadine grapevines are starting to leaf out. Jelly for sure this fall and perhaps another wine making effort.

With all of this going on at once and joining the late Camellias and blooming azaleas, I just canít help smiling when walking around the place!
Old 03-30-2020, 07:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,205 Times in 4,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
I am going to pull out every volunteer of those I find in a place I didn't want them this year, they took over last year and other than in salad, they are pretty much useless to me, too seedy to make sauce

started planting the garden today, early for our area but it's warm enough, so I transfered stuff I had in the greenhouse that I started from seeds in January to the garden: lettuce, kale, cauliflower ( wish me luck with that, it usually just grows leaves) , radishes, pak choi.
Next is going to be beets, broccoli, different kale, and collards
I am going to leave the tomatoes and herbs in the greenhouse a while longer
Time to start planting some eggplants and peppers in the greenhouse now, not quite warm enough but if I put them in pots I can take them in the house if it should get cold again
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 04:10 PM
gardener & news junkie

Default It's Tomato Time!

Today was tomato seed starting day. I kind of went overboard on tomatoes this year. Lots of experimenting with new varieties.

- Cherry tomato. I wanted to find a new cherry tomato with some good flavor and so there will be three kinds.
- Still looking for a nice paste tomato.
- Heat tolerance. There's an emphasis on tomatoes with that trait.
- A few early tomatoes added in to balance out the longer growing varieties.

Here's the final list, not counting the two dwarf cherries I'm already playing with. We're growing one of each of these except two Early Annies. The ones with an "H" next to the name are the ones that are supposedly heat tolerant. The ones with an "n" are new to me.

Tomato, Bella Rosa
n Tomato, Brad's Atomic Grape cherry
n Tomato, Camp Joy Cherry
H Tomato, Creole Original
n Tomato, Early Annie (early paste)
Tomato, Early Girl Bush
n Tomato, German Johnson
n Tomato, Girl Girlís Wild Thing
Tomato, Golden Girl
n Tomato, KBX
n Tomato, Mom's Paste
nH Tomato, Porter
nH Tomato, Rebel Yell
Tomato, Red Siberian (early)
H Tomato, Rio Grande
n Tomato, Rosella Cherry
nH Tomato, Santiago
Tomato, Stump Of The World
nH Tomato, Super Sioux
n Tomato, Ten Fingers of Naples (paste)

Old 03-31-2020, 04:55 PM
Prepared

I don't think I have tried any of those varieties. Looking forward to hearing/seeing how they work for you!
Old 03-31-2020, 05:03 PM
Survivor

Ok, so now it is ****ing snowing....grrrrrr....not really freezing ( yet) , was not supposed to freeze but it is snowing. Hope my little plants in the garden survive
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 05:32 PM
gardener & news junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Ok, so now it is ****ing snowing....grrrrrr....not really freezing ( yet) , was not supposed to freeze but it is snowing. Hope my little plants in the garden survive
Oh man, that bites a big one. Murphy's Law. Actually, I think the snow might help protect them from any freezing temps a little. Emphasis on little. Got any row cover just in case?
Old 03-31-2020, 05:34 PM
gardener & news junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBee View Post
I don't think I have tried any of those varieties. Looking forward to hearing/seeing how they work for you!
Me too! I think I have room for them all. They'll all be in buckets. If not, I'll have to get the garden stretcher out again.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:48 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
Oh man, that bites a big one. Murphy's Law. Actually, I think the snow might help protect them from any freezing temps a little. Emphasis on little. Got any row cover just in case?
Well, husband put a tarp on it, but then I made him take it back off...I was afraid it would crush the little plants or they would die from lack or air
it is now just raining again, they look fine so far, nice and green. I guess it depends on how cold it gets tonight. The ground won't freeze but there might be frost.
What exactly are row covers?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 08:27 PM
gardener & news junkie

Row covers are lightweight fabric to lay directly over rows of plants or perhaps cover a tunnel with. They come in different weights for different purposes and protection at various temps. Here's one I use but there are others out there:

https://www.superseeds.com/collectio...cover-per-foot

This one's rather lightweight because that's all I need down here. A lot of catalogs have them in the "season extender" or garden supplies section.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Hunter

A related concept is the cold frame. We use those up here to extend the growing season on both ends, protecting plants from snow and cold. They can be made out of just about anything; they're basically a box with a slanted window that you can open & close. Here's a quick video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgF...Q#action=share

Weedinhoe, I love your flowering trees! We all need the sight of beauty right now, and I can see why walking among them makes you feel happy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:49 PM
gardener & news junkie

I usually wait to start flowers and herbs until the tomatoes and peppers leave the light stand and go out to the porch to harden off. It's a space issue. Well, I jumped the gun and got the flowers and a few herbs started and they filled the bottom shelf. It's going to be fun making sure everybody gets enough light once they all pop up.

Meanwhile, out in the garden all of the potatoes are now up. The Kennebec (front of the row) popped up on 3/24 while the Yukon Golds (back half of the row) took about three days longer. It seemed longer than that but my notes say otherwise. There are 9' of each.

Half of the garlic is junk. The bad ones are those from last year's stock. That wasn't a particularly good crop as they were small and in the ground too long. The ones on the other side of the bed (Siberian and Russian Inferno) were bought in the fall and are doing really well.

Wando pea bed #1 is up and at 'em. Bed #2 was planted late due to soggy soil and those peas are up about 1".

Due to that recent streak of hot weather the fall collards started bolting a few days ago.

Today I noticed that the fall kale is starting to bolt too but fortunately the new collards and kale are almost ready for their first picking.

This afternoon 5th Gear and I made two trips to my secret source to get 8 pallets for the tomato buckets to sit on and a load of 1"x1"x8' stakes for various garden uses. Normally that company burns them on Fridays so I got my pick today. You can't beat free!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:03 AM
gardener & news junkie

Default Potting Mix Dilemma

Good grief! Late yesterday afternoon the Georgia Governor issued a shelter in place order starting at midnight tonight and closed all the schools for the rest of the year. Nothing like all that advanced notice. The day after I start all the tomato seeds. My guess is this is all because of the mess in Atlanta. There's not much virus around here.

I need to call the place where we buy the potting mix in bulk and see if they're open over there in South Carolina. They're right on the border, just outside of Augusta and they don't fit into SC's "non-essential" list. If they're open we need to get two pick-up loads today to get it now instead of three weeks from now when we'd usually get it. Get while the gettin's good.

How to store all of that? Depending on the call to Bricko Farms I will spend part of the morning washing and sanitizing 21 (10 and 15 gal) tomato planting buckets so we can shovel the mix right off the truck into the buckets.Then we'll put the buckets on pallets to keep the ants out of them and put a tarp over the buckets. Just yesterday afternoon we picked up the pallets needed for this year's tomatoes. Thank goodness we did. Any excess mix will be wrapped up in a giant tarp like a huge package to protect for later use.

If they're closed for the duration, well, I have no idea what I'm going to do with all those tomato plants that have been started. They can't be planted directly in the garden due to nematodes and a bacterial wilt problem in the garden soil that affects only the tomatoes. Maybe plant them all around the property in native soil. We'll cross that bridge when we have to. Practice for a "grid down" scenario. As my old drill sergeant used to say, "Good training!"
Old 04-02-2020, 10:16 AM
Hunter

Bummer! I hope the store is open so you can get your soil. And yes, a bit of advance notice would've been helpful. I'm sure you and 5th Gear would've high-tailed it right over there! Our Governor did much the same thing though-we got 24 hours notice, 2 days after he'd said that he didn't think the order would be necessary. He didn't consult with the Legislature either, and everyone was on pins & needles waiting for his list of essential businesses. This made me happy that I'd ordered my container soil back in February!

I use Miracle Gro potting mix, which you might be able to get on Amazon or at a hardware store/garden center. The latter might have it on sale. The former won't be cheap! Good luck. Adapt, adapt, adapt!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post: