Why does everyone say get a 9mm? - Page 19 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 03-27-2020, 05:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,466 Posts

Advertise Here

Get a 9mm because this one here is a bit to heavy to carry around!

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2020, 06:26 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musibike View Post
Get a 9mm because this one here is a bit to heavy to carry around!

YouTube
Technically, that's a cannon.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,690 Times in 4,168 Posts

I've been back packing and had a bear in camp in the middle of the night. I could hear him and I could smell him, but I couldn't see him. I was armed with a P89. What saved my bacon was I did what you are supposed to do when traveling through bear country. Food and food prep area well away from the sleeping area no eating midnight snack in the bag and the grub sack suspended in a tree, also well away from the sleeping area. Not finding anything to eat or hold his interest he moved on. Leaving me to ponder the value of a 9mm as a trail gun...LOL
Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,869 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I've been back packing and had a bear in camp in the middle of the night. I could hear him and I could smell him, but I couldn't see him. I was armed with a P89. What saved my bacon was I did what you are supposed to do when traveling through bear country. Food and food prep area well away from the sleeping area no eating midnight snack in the bag and the grub sack suspended in a tree, also well away from the sleeping area. Not finding anything to eat or hold his interest he moved on. Leaving me to ponder the value of a 9mm as a trail gun...LOL
ON ONE of my forays to Alaska I was talking to a guide who did bear hunts. I asked him about .357 for a sidearm(not that I would ever carry one for a bear gun, just curious about what the pros thought.)
The guide smiled and said, a "357 is good, but only if you are in the bears mouth, so you can kill yourself with it because all you are gonna do is pizzz of the bear if you shoot him with it."

I talked to another guide and asked him what he carried for a sidearm, he said a Remington 870 with a folding stock. HE said, that most times if you really need that desperation shot, you can't have the luxury of making the perfect shot and so the 12ga was pretty good for the not so perfect shot.

MY only charge by a bear was when I was moose hunting northern Ontario and had a small black bear come off a dead moose carcass and he came charging, bluff charging actually, come 30 feet or so then stop and whuffed and chuffed then when I didn't run he would come again. I think I outweighed him but his heart was in it. I mentally set a line in the dirt for the do not cross line and tried to talk him out of dong something stupid. I was armed with my Model 70 in .375H&H and as I watched him I detached the scope(it was on a G&H side over top mount) and flipped up the irons since if I needed it I would be close enough to smell the moose on his breath. .375H&H with 270gr Silvertips, I was feeling pretty secure. I figured if he got to within 20 feet it was gonna be bye bye BooBoo, and since I didn't have a bear tag I really didn't want the headaches it could bring. WEll, he had my attention but at about 30 feet he figured something was up and he decided he had scared me enough and went back to his dead moose.
Can't imagine what it would be like having one come that weighs in the size of some of the AK bears I have seen.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:04 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
Tell me more about these high capacity clips. Is there a certain amount of hair they hold?
You better start playing grammar police with Remington as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill460 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 12:05 PM
Survivor

NW GUY,
Only a few places in the lower 48 that one runs the chance of a grizzly encounter. Moose are more likely. Coming back from a hunt in one such place.

I stopped in the small town of Cascade for fuel and a snack. Next to the register was a picture of a moose standing in the shallows Cascade lake, with the caption this is not an elk.

Knowing there was a story behind the picture, I asked the clerk about it. Apparently an out of state hunter had shot the moose, slapped an elk tag on it and was busy loading it up when F&G arrived. Needless to say they were not impressed...neither were the locals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 10:16 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 2,097 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Survivalist View Post
The 9mm is . . . easier to control than the .45ACP . . .
I beg to differ. The .45ACP is probably the easiest round I've shot. Might have something to do with the heavier pistol itself, but I find the 9mm "snappy" while the .45ACP is more of a "push".

your mileage may vary.

All that being said, buy what you want, shoot what you want. I do. Counting up, I've got:
  • .22LR
  • .22WMR
  • .380ACP
  • 9mm
  • .40S&W
  • 10mm Auto
  • .45ACP
  • .44 Magnum
Stopping power, schmopping power. As Disturbed70 says all the time, "show me the measurement". Bad guys have been dropped with a single 9mm round. Bad guys have survived several rounds of .45ACP. You're going to hear from all sides, from supposed "experts" with unpronounceable names to LE vets who have "seen the elephant", so to speak. Do what you want. Just practice, practice, practice.

The only thing I *don't* and *won't* shoot that is on the popular side is the .357 Magnum, and it has nothing to do with the recoil. I can't stand the report.
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 10:18 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 2,097 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
NW GUY,
Only a few places in the lower 48 that one runs the chance of a grizzly encounter. Moose are more likely. Coming back from a hunt in one such place.

I stopped in the small town of Cascade for fuel and a snack. Next to the register was a picture of a moose standing in the shallows Cascade lake, with the caption this is not an elk.

Knowing there was a story behind the picture, I asked the clerk about it. Apparently an out of state hunter had shot the moose, slapped an elk tag on it and was busy loading it up when F&G arrived. Needless to say they were not impressed...neither were the locals.
A bit north of Cascade (and a few ridges over on the Lochsa), probably close to 40 years ago, an out-of-stater slapped his elk tag on a packer's mule that he'd shot. He was pretty proud of himself, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,941 Times in 7,770 Posts

Germane to the OP...I have LOTS of .40 on hand, I have a few 40 cal carry guns, and just bought a full sized Ruger SR40 for $240, so....I'm not really worried about all the 9 mm laying around, or not.

I also have the same situation in 9 mm, so IF there were suddenly lots of 9mm laying around, I'd be good to go that way, too.

It's called being prepared. Not just one basket of eggs, not just one chicken; diversity and quantity have qualities all their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlrhiner View Post
Technically, that's a cannon.
You say that like it's a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
A bit north of Cascade (and a few ridges over on the Lochsa), probably close to 40 years ago, an out-of-stater slapped his elk tag on a packer's mule that he'd shot. He was pretty proud of himself, too.
Read an article in some hunting mag about a guy in Pennsylvania, IIRC, that shot the biggest deer of his life. Until the 4th guy he showed it to told him it was an elk, not a deer.
He turned himself in, took the fine, but didn't lose privileges or gun, according to the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
.22LR
.22WMR
.380ACP
9mm
.40S&W
10mm Auto
.45ACP
.44 Magnum
Take out the .44 mag, put in .357 Mag/38 Spcl, 9X18, and 7.62X25, and you have my handgun collection.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 10:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,570 Times in 614 Posts

I have heard of people being shot multiple times with a 9mm and take themselves to the hospital. You aren`t going to do that with a .45. I won`t own a 9mm. only .45 or bigger
Old 03-31-2020, 10:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
I have heard of people being shot multiple times with a 9mm and take themselves to the hospital. You aren`t going to do that with a .45. I won`t own a 9mm. only .45 or bigger
Bull crap. MANY cases of bad people continuing to fight with multiple .45 hits in center mass.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 04:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,820 Times in 1,482 Posts

Quote:
Google "Jared Reston." Then realize how stupid your statement was.

If that doesn't sink in, try "Timothy Gramins."
The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 05:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,455 Times in 8,591 Posts

Quote:
Wow.......just wow.........
Old 03-31-2020, 06:03 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
I have heard of people being shot multiple times with a 9mm and take themselves to the hospital. You aren`t going to do that with a .45. I won`t own a 9mm. only .45 or bigger [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Gecko survived 9mm and even .308 with his homemade preban AR-1000 plate strapped to the back. Only a skilled shot from .23 lr to the dome will slow him down.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:07 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck007 View Post
Gecko survived 9mm and even .308 with his homemade preban AR-1000 plate strapped to the back. Only a skilled shot from .23 lr to the dome will slow him down.
If you mention Gecko45, you must sacrifice a virgin goat.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,084 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.$.Racing View Post
Cost and availability. Especially if it ever came down to post-shtf availability. 9mm is everywhere

You're going to be hard pressed to find .45 in any disabled squad cars, abandoned jail/prisons, armories, etc. I'm sure some departments are still using it, but again, 9mm is everywhere.
Yep, find it everywhere in SHTF and Post SHTF times. Just like now during a virus scare. It's just raining 9mm in every gun shop and sporting goods store. Massive variety at incredible discount prices. It will just be laying around in the streets soon because no body will scavenge it ......... not.

Find some 9mm today. Ha!
Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 PM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:
Here is some of the best real world data I have seen on "handgun stopping power". It's not gel or anything else, it was from real world shootings. It's not perfect by any means but it does show that there is very little real world difference between calibers. Greg Ellifritz did a good job with the data overall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ellifritz_OneShot_Percent.png
Views:	20
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	300740

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...stopping-power

The chart above is actually form this link below as it didn't show up in the one at the Active Response Training website.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power

And I have seen people still fighting after multiple rounds of 9mm, or .45.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 AM

There is no "rite" caliber. I have more experience than most with shooting a handgun, i have carried and still own 9mm,10mm, .45cal, and a few wheel guns. The reason i reccomend the 9 to new shooters and vets alike is its the smallest round i trust with my life that is cost effective to shoot often. I can shoot more holes in paper doi g drills and getting my muscle memory down to instict wit the 9 than i can with any other cal for the same money. But im one of those folks who believes if your gonna carry every day you should shoot no less than 50 to 100 rounds a month. Just my .02
Old 04-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Germane to the OP...I have LOTS of .40 on hand, I have a few 40 cal carry guns, and just bought a full sized Ruger SR40 for $240, so....I'm not really worried about all the 9 mm laying around, or not.

I also have the same situation in 9 mm, so IF there were suddenly lots of 9mm laying around, I'd be good to go that way, too.

It's called being prepared. Not just one basket of eggs, not just one chicken; diversity and quantity have qualities all their own.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Read an article in some hunting mag about a guy in Pennsylvania, IIRC, that shot the biggest deer of his life. Until the 4th guy he showed it to told him it was an elk, not a deer.
He turned himself in, took the fine, but didn't lose privileges or gun, according to the article.

Take out the .44 mag, put in .357 Mag/38 Spcl, 9X18, and 7.62X25, and you have my handgun collection.
Close to mine as well...drop the 40, 10mm and 44M add a 357, 45 Colt and 30 carbine...yeah I know 30 carbine...where does that fit in...LOL
Old 04-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Close to mine as well...drop the 40, 10mm and 44M add a 357, 45 Colt and 30 carbine...yeah I know 30 carbine...where does that fit in...LOL
Back in the day, I always wanted an M1 carbine and a Blackhawk.

Many guns later, I still don't have them. But I get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post: