Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-30-2020, 07:04 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 36,313 Times in 15,399 Posts

Advertise Here

***Moderator Note***

One more time. STAY ON TOPIC If you want to talk about other things, then go to the chat thread. geez people
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 07:14 PM
Cross-eyed Target Shooter

Thanked 3,838 Times in 856 Posts

In my area, things WERE starting to come back and then the "Migration" from the cities started. Now the stores (both the one WalMart in three counties and the Food Lion chain market and also the local groceries and drug stores) are picked clean again!

Went out on a recon run and to get some eggs and milk (beginning to run low and it is comfort food for me) and the stockers were working like crazy to restock. One gal I spoke to is getting stressed because she says it is like running on a treadmill and they are now getting ready for the 1st of the month in APR when the "EBT'ers" come out of the woodwork along with the city yuppies.

They are expecting things to get sporty. We have already had a few small fights at the WalMart and some minor thefts of goods and food. But nothing approaching the city type stuff that is coming up. And hopefully, will not happen here.

I'm good to go and really don't need anything. Just went out on a nice day solo and looked around the area. Everything else other than the food stores, drug stores and McD's is CLOSED! Most of the local restaurants just closed altogether. Other stores are also closed down completely. Really nowhere to go. The Bank is only doing drive up.

You can roll bowling balls down the main street of the town near me in broad daylight.

It's going to be a long ride, folks. Hang on. And the recovery will also be long as the supply chain is EMPTY.
The Following User Says Thank You to ingyow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 07:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,570 Times in 614 Posts

Our store up here is starting to get a little more stock. Still out of all paper products and dry foods but the canned section had a lot more stock than it did last time we went.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sanderhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,344 Times in 365 Posts

We sent in an order to HEB today. 75 item limit. They are spotty on paper goods and cleaners. Our son couldn’t get corn tortillas but it might be fine. I set delivery for early morning so hoping they have a stocked store early in day and order is filled early. I’ll let you know if it works.

We are immediately starting another list at Kroger. Mostly we are stocking up on cleaners such as for dishes, clothes, floors, hair, trash bags. I make bar soap and still need a day for cooking. Kroger isn’t listing chicken and hope that improves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,691 Times in 1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma of 7 View Post
For some unknown reason, folks in Salt Lake County are panic buying BABY CHICKS from the IFA’s (Intermountain Farmers Association). Now, I have chickens. I also know that I needed a lot of study and advise from other chicken keepers before getting my own. In my opinion, this is not going to end well. A quote from a local news agency conjectured a dearth of “wild chickens” this fall! Time will tell as to how stupid people are.......
REALLY? It's not rocket science. The hens do 90% of the work and rather fun/interesting to have around. Just don't name them/be prepared to loose some from time to time to varmints.

You mean there will be a plethora (many) of wild (released) chickens in the fall? Dearth = few/scarce.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,455 Times in 8,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
REALLY? It's not rocket science. The hens do 90% of the work and rather fun/interesting to have around. Just don't name them/be prepared to loose some from time to time to varmints.

You mean there will be a plethora (many) of wild (released) chickens in the fall? Dearth = few/scarce.
I wonder how that is working out on Kauai. Chickens run free there. As in everywhere. And not just a few.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:00 PM
Time waits for no one

Thanked 1,430 Times in 321 Posts

Send the wild chickens my way. I have happy hens and a nice safe fenced/netted yard for them. I have a separate area for the pheasants that escape the hunting club a 1/4 mile away..... that is the freezer... the dog has brought back at least 2 a week for free tasty eats.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:47 AM

Went to a local Giant and Aldi on Sunday. What fascinated me the most was that almost all of the dried beans were sold out, but not the canned ones. TP was at Giant, limit one, none at Aldi. There was a limit of 2 on most canned items, and canned milk, fruit, and vegetables were very low. Plenty of fresh produce and bread products, and meat. Flour and yeast were very low. Most people were polite and courteous about the 6 foot distancing, but everyone looked grim and strained, cashiers and customers both.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emmajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 06:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,209 Times in 5,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic View Post
Send the wild chickens my way. I have happy hens and a nice safe fenced/netted yard for them. I have a separate area for the pheasants that escape the hunting club a 1/4 mile away..... that is the freezer... the dog has brought back at least 2 a week for free tasty eats.
I'd like some chickens myself, but I'm no where near ready. Baby chicks need a lot of care, established hens are another story, but you have to know how to keep them healthy and productive.

My dad lived way east of me and he backed up to a nature preserve. It was fairly common to have 12-20 wild turkeys strut through his back yard. I tried to fix him up with a crossbow but he said no.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,209 Times in 5,488 Posts

Anyway, I haven't been in a big store for 2 weeks, may brave BJs on Saturday, old fart's hour is 8-9.

I have one deli/bagel store that is my go-to for lots of things, nobody else had eggs and milk, he did and still does. We have standalone stores, Dairy Barn. You drive up and sit in your car, put in your order and they bring in to your car. They have beer too. I went yesterday to get burger and dog rolls and milk. In & out in 2 minutes.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:31 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 58,147 Times in 13,182 Posts
Default Old farts hour at Sam's Club

Up at 6 am in order to make the 7 - 9 happy hours.

I was looking for Tabasco (none) BBQ sauce (wrong brand), hamburger (5# of 90% lean ), canned cat food , frozen veggies 4# .

I wore gloves but no mask. None of the employees had masks. I saw maybe 2 or three customers with masks. People kept their distance. No lines at the self-checkout stands.

I split out the hamburger into 1# chunks and sealed with Foodsaver then freezer. Foodsaver is the only way to freeze meats. Eliminates freezer burn.

Light traffic, light rain. Supposed to snow again this week.

====

Here's my thoughts on going out now instead of later. Later will mean more infected cases and possibly more quarantine restrictions. Maybe peak in 2 weeks? Who knows but I'm stocked with as much frozen foods as well as I can be.

===

Edit:

No lines either in or out. Stacks of TP as you walk in. Frozen foods well stocked. There were some empty bays but I didn't stop to see what they were. I wanted to get a liquid hand soap refill but all they had were the small pump sizes. The half empty jug I have will probably be enough. More junk food and candy that you could ever want. Bakery completely stocked.

I baked this yesterday: Dutch oven no-knead.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200330_191931967.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	300664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200330_191738516.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	300666  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 11:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,912 Posts

Well it’s been two weeks since we went shopping, and I don’t see any real difference. We got all we wanted Aldi had TP, PT but dropped their limit of eggs to 2 doz.

Did 3 stores, started at 9:30 sparse crowds and workers wiping down carts.

Overall a typical store trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 11:47 AM
Target Shooter

In NorCal Central Coast.
Costco report. First trip back in 3 weeks.

We're over 60 YO so took advantage of the early bird hour open 0800.
Got there ~0740 and folks lined up already around the block.
Letting 25 shoppers in every 5 mins started at 0800. Took us ~30 minutes to go from line to in store. Shoppers mellow but stressed vibe.
Few folks in masks few wearing gloves.

So...

No TP, No PT nor sanitizing wipes or other like products.

No limits on water or food stuffs at all. Change from my last trip where no water and limits on eggs and bread,

The only items on my list where top offs of regular oatmeal and canned green beans. Plenty of frozen everything. Plenty of fresh including the much coveted bananas.

An okay trip. Took us an hour including line and shopping.

Very stressed vibe from the shoppers. The costco employees were great. Very helpful and kind. Big hat tip for them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keithp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,690 Times in 4,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
In normal times about once a week. In these times about once every two weeks. Or about how long it takes to drink a gallon of milk. Fresh produce is nice so as long as it's available ....

I'm baking some no-knead bread today. Takes a long time but it sure is good.
Thanks,
Two weeks between shopping trips was my norm before this panic kicked off. I know I'll need to go shopping eventually just not sure when, so I'm holding out in hope that things will get better sooner than later.

I am doing a scratch quick bread recipe, that was given to me by a little old lady. It is delicious, and the smell of baking bread is Devine...LOL

I'm definitely pleased that my LTS flour made it 9 years. There is always that question when you open up something that has sat that long...Is it still good?
Anyway once this blows over and things get back to some semblance of normal I will be putting up more LTS flour.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 01:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,590 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
why would there be a shortage of people to maintain them?
It was briefly touched on news, it's happening here too. They interviewed some personnel who do the sewer maintenance: crews usually have to clear one or two jammed water pumps every week. Now it is more than one every day and this is just third week...

Those crews have other things to do also, they don't just sit around waiting for a jammed sewer pump

edit: buy and flush toilet paper only, everything else goes somewhere else.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:24 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 58,147 Times in 13,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Thanks,

I am doing a scratch quick bread recipe, that was given to me by a little old lady. It is delicious, and the smell of baking bread is Devine...LOL

I'm definitely pleased that my LTS flour made it 9 years. There is always that question when you open up something that has sat that long...Is it still good?
Anyway once this blows over and things get back to some semblance of normal I will be putting up more LTS flour.
My white flour is about a year old. I have a 5 gal bucket full with the Gamma lid. All my long term storage grains are stored this way.

I usually bake using the whole wheat flour I mill myself, but I was craving some crusty artisan bread. I sliced off an end while it was still warm and drizzled honey on it. Yum!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 03:12 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,742 Times in 707 Posts

Went to Sprouts and briefly to Walmart at a Phoenix suburb.

Sprouts was mostly stocked. Milk limited to 2 gals per person, no eggs, no flour, canned goods were low. Meats and produce were full.

The bulk bins are all packaged now. There are still items inside the bulk bins, but they are in individual baggies to grab rather than use the scoop.

About 10 people were wearing masks, including the cashier. Everything from a bandana to N95

Walmart was lower on stock. No flour, peanut butter, paper products, cleaning products, very low meats. Bread was about 1/2 stocked. Canned goods still low (I didn't go down these aisles, just looked in from the ends). No sugar or other baking supplies.

People were wearing masks in WM, too, but not as many. Sprouts had someone wiping all carts wtih disinfectant wipes, but not Walmart.

Everyone at Sprouts seemed normal cheerful, but WM people were much more on edge. The associates looked frazzled and one was snappy, and the customers definitely didn't have as much patience as usual.

Definitely seeing more stress among people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marjorie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 03:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,205 Times in 4,564 Posts

Went shopping today, gear info in my gear thread.

Walmart had plenty of produce, which I mostly went for, plenty of junk food , got some of that too ( son wanted pop tarts, I wanted some chips, husband some popcorn) . Got peanut butter. Meat section had notes on it to only take what you need and leave some for others . ( no limit however). I got some ground pork, some hot dogs, and some chicken Very little butter. Almost no cheese, I got one large block of cheddar. Only a few gallons of milk. No bread!!! Not even tortillas . No paper products of any kind but I didn't need any. I wanted to get some more bleach. There were 3 small containers on the shelf, and " one per customer" limit.

What really blew my mind was the freezer section. It was just about empty ! You know, the tv dinner type stuff? Gone! I don't buy that stuff anyway, just wanted to get some ice cream and walked through there. This tells me a lot of people either don't want to, or don't know how to cook!

I also went to a small local store to get the rest of the cheese I wanted ( mozerella for pizza mostly) and some hot dog buns. They appeared to be almost fully stocked ( but their produce always looks old, that's why I don't like shopping there)

Liquor store still open, but limited hours. Fully stocked except no Everclear
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 04:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,619 Times in 681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Went shopping today, gear info in my gear thread.

Walmart had plenty of produce, which I mostly went for, plenty of junk food , got some of that too ( son wanted pop tarts, I wanted some chips, husband some popcorn) . Got peanut butter. Meat section had notes on it to only take what you need and leave some for others . ( no limit however). I got some ground pork, some hot dogs, and some chicken Very little butter. Almost no cheese, I got one large block of cheddar. Only a few gallons of milk. No bread!!! Not even tortillas . No paper products of any kind but I didn't need any. I wanted to get some more bleach. There were 3 small containers on the shelf, and " one per customer" limit.

What really blew my mind was the freezer section. It was just about empty ! You know, the tv dinner type stuff? Gone! I don't buy that stuff anyway, just wanted to get some ice cream and walked through there. This tells me a lot of people either don't want to, or don't know how to cook!

I also went to a small local store to get the rest of the cheese I wanted ( mozerella for pizza mostly) and some hot dog buns. They appeared to be almost fully stocked ( but their produce always looks old, that's why I don't like shopping there)

Liquor store still open, but limited hours. Fully stocked except no Everclear

I haven't checked WM freezer section in a week or so, but mine was the same with the freezer section! We don't buy that stuff either, thankfully, but I was shocked it was so empty.

At my local Food Lion, the freezer things were mostly fine except frozen veggies.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:03 PM
Ingloriously Deplorable

Thanked 7,004 Times in 2,057 Posts

I noticed the same things locally you did. Today the half dozen stores I passed while doing other "essential business" were far busier than normal for that time of day. Expected, even though the order doesn't start til tonight. I am avoiding Walmart for the time being, I feel more comfortable in the smaller neighborhood stores close to me for the time being. Our governor's order was perhaps not explained very well by the local news stations? Most everything is essential after all. Its pretty reasonable and we're lucky here so far. In a couple weeks this will blow over too. In a few months we'll all be wearing the funny t-shirts LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
Went to Sprouts and briefly to Walmart at a Phoenix suburb.

Sprouts was mostly stocked. Milk limited to 2 gals per person, no eggs, no flour, canned goods were low. Meats and produce were full.

The bulk bins are all packaged now. There are still items inside the bulk bins, but they are in individual baggies to grab rather than use the scoop.

About 10 people were wearing masks, including the cashier. Everything from a bandana to N95

Walmart was lower on stock. No flour, peanut butter, paper products, cleaning products, very low meats. Bread was about 1/2 stocked. Canned goods still low (I didn't go down these aisles, just looked in from the ends). No sugar or other baking supplies.

People were wearing masks in WM, too, but not as many. Sprouts had someone wiping all carts wtih disinfectant wipes, but not Walmart.

Everyone at Sprouts seemed normal cheerful, but WM people were much more on edge. The associates looked frazzled and one was snappy, and the customers definitely didn't have as much patience as usual.

Definitely seeing more stress among people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockwell Torrey For This Useful Post: