"You can find 9mm everywhere when SHTF..." - Page 7 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 01:29 PM
Just Jeff's Avatar
Just Jeff Just Jeff is online now
Stop YOLOing
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,967
Thanks: 10,891
Thanked 8,068 Times in 2,265 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

How pretty much every firearms conversation on the internet goes.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 02:29 PM
Hammer 1's Avatar
Hammer 1 Hammer 1 is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 609
Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 1,198 Times in 409 Posts
Default

I thinks the best place to scavenge ammo would be in the coffee can the wife keeps above the washer and dryer. There's probably some .22,.22mag,223 and 30-06,but no 9mm. If you find my pocket knife,would you leave it on the kitchen table? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2020, 03:01 PM
leadcounsel's Avatar
leadcounsel leadcounsel is offline
Comic, not your lawyer!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12,179
Thanks: 29,975
Thanked 39,988 Times in 9,299 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
This is getting hilarious.

I won't claim any money savings from reloading, especially if I figure in my time. I do it for fun. It actually is rocket science.

This thread started on the (false) assumption that your main "fighting gun" should be a 9mm because you're going to be able to walk around the wasteland like Don Johnson in "A Boy and His Dog", wading through stacks of Winchester White Box and American Eagle 115 gr FMJ just there for the taking. Then it (d)evolved into a criticism and defense of reloading. Trust me, folks, you're not gonna talk leadcounsel into taking up reloading, nor does it appear Jlrhiner is going to jump on your bandwagon, either (wait, he conceded defeat)

I say buy a 9mm. Or a .40. Or a 10mm. Or a .45.

Then be sure to come back here and tell us all how it's the best.
Exactly and well put...
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
thess02 thess02 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,624
Thanks: 1,391
Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,292 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
This is getting hilarious.

I won't claim any money savings from reloading, especially if I figure in my time. I do it for fun. It actually is rocket science.

This thread started on the (false) assumption that your main "fighting gun" should be a 9mm because you're going to be able to walk around the wasteland like Don Johnson in "A Boy and His Dog", wading through stacks of Winchester White Box and American Eagle 115 gr FMJ just there for the taking. Then it (d)evolved into a criticism and defense of reloading. Trust me, folks, you're not gonna talk leadcounsel into taking up reloading, nor does it appear Jlrhiner is going to jump on your bandwagon, either (wait, he conceded defeat)

I say buy a 9mm. Or a .40. Or a 10mm. Or a .45.

Then be sure to come back here and tell us all how it's the best.
And no one is trying to talk anyone into reloading. One either wants to reload....or they don't. And reloading isn't rocket science.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 03:41 PM
Area Man's Avatar
Area Man Area Man is offline
Bear Fighter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Posts: 1,321
Thanks: 201
Thanked 2,072 Times in 805 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thess02 View Post
. . . reloading isn't rocket science.
Projectile + Accelerant = Rocket Science
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 04:30 PM
Jlrhiner's Avatar
Jlrhiner Jlrhiner is online now
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arnold, Missouri
Age: 61
Posts: 1,532
Thanks: 2,878
Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
This is getting hilarious.

I won't claim any money savings from reloading, especially if I figure in my time. I do it for fun. It actually is rocket science.

This thread started on the (false) assumption that your main "fighting gun" should be a 9mm because you're going to be able to walk around the wasteland like Don Johnson in "A Boy and His Dog", wading through stacks of Winchester White Box and American Eagle 115 gr FMJ just there for the taking. Then it (d)evolved into a criticism and defense of reloading. Trust me, folks, you're not gonna talk leadcounsel into taking up reloading, nor does it appear Jlrhiner is going to jump on your bandwagon, either (wait, he conceded defeat)

I say buy a 9mm. Or a .40. Or a 10mm. Or a .45.

Then be sure to come back here and tell us all how it's the best.
I also joust with windmills..........
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2020, 08:27 PM
9th Company 9th Company is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 102
Thanks: 119
Thanked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Default

My dad reloaded starting from the 1950s because that's what people did back then, since ammo was expensive. People melted wheel weights for lead and bought primers and powder. Because of the strong dollar and countries getting rid of old stock allows us to take advantage and get surplus guns and ammo at great prices. How long will this last? When will foreign countries run out of things the ATF and UN allow for us to import?

I think reloading is an invaluable skill to where it is useful to learn. Will it make up for your lost time? NO Will it save you money in every instance? Probably not. But not being rich myself, at least having a Lee single stage can allow me to scrounge gun shows for deals here and there and learn something useful thru trial and error. And there is much worse usage for my time: tv, netflix, porn, drinking, fill in the blank.

Think demographics. How much reloading items do you see at a gun show or want ad? Do you think the old geezers might be offloading stuff that is not being acquired so much by the younger generation? Might this be the time to learn reloading.

Finally one last thing on reloading. It manufactures an end item that requires skill and patience, something we increasingly lack in the US. It echoes a bygone era where people made their own things and were self reliant, as opposed to staring at your smart phone all day. I would like to practice old skills that made America great in the past and revive them.

And I think 9mm Luger/Parabellum if given a choice would be the most popular choice given its (1) military, (2) LE (less so) and (3) civilian use.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9th Company For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 08:27 PM
thess02 thess02 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,624
Thanks: 1,391
Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,292 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
Projectile + Accelerant = Rocket Science
Rocket science...rofl. I taught my 2 kids to reload at 6 years old. It really isn't difficult....if you can read...if you can follow VERY simple guidelines and load data.

Rocket science...rofl. I worked 30 years in the aerospace. Your comment is entertaining.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 08:30 PM
Chuckleberry Chuckleberry is offline
I love this Forum.
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NoDak
Posts: 4,841
Thanks: 6,223
Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thess02 View Post
Rocket science...rofl. I taught my 2 kids to reload at 6 years old. It really isn't difficult....if you can read...if you can follow VERY simple guidelines and load data.

Rocket science...rofl. I worked 30 years in the aerospace. Your comment is entertaining.
`

I thought a rocket carries it's fuel with it? I guess maybe if you shoot the old gyro-jet ammo, that would count as rocket? Either that or I've been relaoding wrong all these years. I was a late bloomer, my old man didn't have me reloading till I was 7.

.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2020, 08:30 PM
thess02 thess02 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,624
Thanks: 1,391
Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,292 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Company View Post
My dad reloaded starting from the 1950s because that's what people did back then, since ammo was expensive. People melted wheel weights for lead and bought primers and powder. Because of the strong dollar and countries getting rid of old stock allows us to take advantage and get surplus guns and ammo at great prices. How long will this last? When will foreign countries run out of things the ATF and UN allow for us to import?

I think reloading is an invaluable skill to where it is useful to learn. Will it make up for your lost time? NO Will it save you money in every instance? Probably not. But not being rich myself, at least having a Lee single stage can allow me to scrounge gun shows for deals here and there and learn something useful thru trial and error. And there is much worse usage for my time: tv, netflix, porn, drinking, fill in the blank.

Think demographics. How much reloading items do you see at a gun show or want ad? Do you think the old geezers might be offloading stuff that is not being acquired so much by the younger generation? Might this be the time to learn reloading.

Finally one last thing on reloading. It manufactures an end item that requires skill and patience, something we increasingly lack in the US. It echoes a bygone era where people made their own things and were self reliant, as opposed to staring at your smart phone all day. I would like to practice old skills that made America great in the past and revive them.

And I think 9mm Luger/Parabellum if given a choice would be the most popular choice given its (1) military, (2) LE (less so) and (3) civilian use.
Well stated.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2020, 11:09 PM
jchavasu's Avatar
jchavasu jchavasu is online now
Nunquam Non Paratus
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: That's classified...
Posts: 1,359
Thanks: 6,895
Thanked 3,201 Times in 1,098 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
Projectile + Accelerant = Rocket Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

I thought a rocket carries it's fuel with it? I guess maybe if you shoot the old gyro-jet ammo, that would count as rocket? Either that or I've been relaoding wrong all these years. I was a late bloomer, my old man didn't have me reloading till I was 7.

.
Ok, new argument! Does a bullet count as a "rocket" or not? I'll just be glad the reloading argument died off.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 05:26 AM
Hammer 1's Avatar
Hammer 1 Hammer 1 is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 609
Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 1,198 Times in 409 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchavasu View Post
Ok, new argument! Does a bullet count as a "rocket" or not? I'll just be glad the reloading argument died off.

If you run out of lead for reloading and have to start loading rocks as projectiles,then it becomes
Rock-it science


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hammer 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 10:32 AM
Just Jeff's Avatar
Just Jeff Just Jeff is online now
Stop YOLOing
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,967
Thanks: 10,891
Thanked 8,068 Times in 2,265 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchavasu View Post
Ok, new argument! Does a bullet count as a "rocket" or not? I'll just be glad the reloading argument died off.
We nickname people "Bullet" when we have to point them in a direction and give them the motivation to get **** done, but we can trust them to do exactly as they're told until a larger force stops their progress.

We call them "Rocket" when they're all thrust and no vector. A defining characteristic is that they carry their own propellant onboard, unlike the projectiles we throw at them for creating bureaucratic momentum in the absence of guidance.

So bullets are projectiles, not rockets, because they don't carry their own propellant. It's science.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 04:12 PM
John Matherson John Matherson is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Dripping Springs,TX-Just West Of Weird
Posts: 97
Thanks: 124
Thanked 109 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I wish that were true in my area. .40,9mm, and .45 are all sold out.

I do agree, the best approach is being diversified. I only have 3 calibers at the time, 9mm, .40, and 357 sig.

I know what you're saying, I've heard this same thing for years, honestly it seems to be people newer to shooting that parrot this line.




Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
How many times has this ignorant statement been repeated by folks who just tirelessly don't know what they are talking about:

"I carry a 9mm because in SHTF you can find it everywhere!" Generally stated with utter confidence, as though it grows like wild raspberries in Washington state meadows or salmon swimming in Alaskan rivers.

Yet in just days of nervous buying, 9x19 is basically out of stock (OOS) everywhere and the remaining locations are charging high premiums and limiting quantities.

You know what is still in stock and easily obtained at the moment? The mighty .40 caliber. Turns out, being smart and not following the crowd has advantages.

And for clarity, it's always smart to diversify calibers, and I have dozens of calibers in pistol, longgun, and shotgun combined and have laid back ammo so these periods don't impact me. In other words, I'm not reliant on my ammo "being found everywhere when SHTF."

You either plan or plan to fail.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John Matherson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 10:19 PM
HappyinID's Avatar
HappyinID HappyinID is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,386
Thanks: 2,727
Thanked 4,458 Times in 2,049 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thess02 View Post
Personally I've never seen a difference in really old reloads or commercial...as far as functioning is concerned.
I definitely have. Both with my reloads and friends reloads.

Anecdotally, while assigned to the range, we also shot large quantities of impounded and turned in ammunition. It was a rare factory load that wouldn't go bang, even ancient WWI era ammo, but the reloads often didn't fire or squibed. I'm sure some of the reloads were poorly put together, but it happened regularly.

And yes, I know it was foolish to shoot mystery ammo. But we were young, broke, and sometimes dumb, and we tended to shoot it in steel guns, (largely ones that we didn't own...). I still have my fingers and eyes, but I know I was lucky.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2020, 10:36 PM
leadcounsel's Avatar
leadcounsel leadcounsel is offline
Comic, not your lawyer!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12,179
Thanks: 29,975
Thanked 39,988 Times in 9,299 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thess02 View Post
Personally I've never seen a difference in really old reloads or commercial...as far as functioning is concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
I definitely have. Both with my reloads and friends reloads.

Anecdotally, while assigned to the range, we also shot large quantities of impounded and turned in ammunition. It was a rare factory load that wouldn't go bang, even ancient WWI era ammo, but the reloads often didn't fire or squibed. I'm sure some of the reloads were poorly put together, but it happened regularly.

And yes, I know it was foolish to shoot mystery ammo. But we were young, broke, and sometimes dumb, and we tended to shoot it in steel guns, (largely ones that we didn't own...). I still have my fingers and eyes, but I know I was lucky.
Having shot a fair number of other peoples reloads, foolishly, I can say that reloads are far less reliable and consistent than factory. I've had 1 kaboom and it was a reload.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:45 PM
Medic535 Medic535 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Deep South
Posts: 52
Thanks: 4
Thanked 65 Times in 26 Posts
Default

if you're trying to buy ammo now, you're a day late and a dollar short
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Medic535 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 12:05 AM
Mr. Sockpuppet Mr. Sockpuppet is offline
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 14,104
Thanks: 5,799
Thanked 34,615 Times in 9,893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic535 View Post
if you're trying to buy ammo now, you're a day late and a dollar short
There is still plenty of ammunition out there.

http://ammoseek.com/
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2020, 01:03 AM
ajole ajole is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,728
Thanks: 8,629
Thanked 24,940 Times in 7,770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Company View Post
And I think 9mm Luger/Parabellum if given a choice would be the most popular choice given its (1) military, (2) LE (less so) and (3) civilian use.
The most popular choice is a relatively meaningless thing to be. The most popular “car” last year is the Toyota Camry. But it was number 5 as a vehicle, behind three pickups and two SUV’s.

Meanwhile, by the numbers, the hamburger is FAR more popular than the steak.

But which would you rather eat?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2020, 04:40 AM
McMacy's Avatar
McMacy McMacy is offline
Run Silent, Run Dark
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Age: 59
Posts: 802
Thanks: 4,752
Thanked 1,499 Times in 511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
I feel for you brother.

If your 35 year old son and son in law, had no food and other supplies, and only had 30 rounds of ammo for their pistols between them, after a long period of easy and inexpensive availability, they likely can't shoot their way out of a paper bag either.

You definitely need to rethink your responsibilities towards them. I don't have any room for undisciplined and helpless adult males, family or not. In a time of real crisis, they could end up being your worst enemies. If you also have grand kids, or daughters that married such useless imbeciles, I know that's harder to figure out.


.
Golly, that is a pretty big stretch to get from not stocking enough 9mm to 'useless imbeciles'. It's great you know how to raise a family the best. Bet my post and your reality leap helped you feel a little more superior.

Last edited by McMacy; 04-06-2020 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: Took out the FU.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to McMacy For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net