I Used To Have A GHB! - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-31-2020, 05:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,053 Times in 4,518 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman253 View Post
Since some seem to believe I couldn't have $1K tied up in it, here is a fairly complete list, along with prices looked up online to replace each item. There were various other misc items in there, but nothing of substantial value. As best as I can recall, this is a fairly complete list. Certainly there is nothing left off that was very expensive.

I had just guessed at over $1K, as the list shows, I was a little low on my estimate.
While geography, crime-rates, security posture, etc. all play a big role and vary for many of us, this is also why I have a couple different bug home bags. Where I work, it's extremely secure and I have zero issues leaving my higher end bug-home bag, bike, even firearms, in my truck; I have done so for the past 20+years (military/NSA facilities). My situation is different than most. However, when I travel to locations I'm unfamiliar or I'm not staying in a hotel, I have a less expensive set up that is more day-hiking oriented with no firearm.

I will be building another cheaper Bug-Home bag in the near future with spare stuff I have lying around. I wouldn't include my tritium lensatic compass, but a $10 base-map compass instead. I cheaper poncho for a shelter instead of a more expensive Sil-nylon tarp, USGI canteen kit vice titanium, etc.

A quality bag and contents could easily add up to $1K if you focus on higher quality, brand-name, or high-dollar niche items. A pack like that wouldn't be left in my truck unless I was at work. Even at home, we are in a place without neighbors and a long driveway with no other egress/ingress routes, I leave my vehicle unlocked, but take my more expensive kits inside. It's all situational, but nothing is guaranteed secure...current events makes it even more at risk.

I do like the idea of sewing a "tile" device in your pack, but that is hit or miss; still not a bad idea if the theft is recent. Storing out of site is critical. I also have a lockable tool box in my truck that is bolted down and have never had any issues with tampering.

I also try to never leave a firearm in my vehicle in areas that are not secure, but it does happen. I just use a less expensive "truck gun" that is secured, but any determined thief with cable cutters could get it...it just wouldn't be an easy smash and grab (two locking cables behind the rear truck seat). Those are assessed risks that you have to make as an individual; I don't judge as I have to make my own decisions for my own circumstances as should everyone...there is risk, which is why you do your own risk assessment.

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 06:58 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 80,188 Times in 23,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Iím kinda curious what is inside a 1000 dollar GHB
There was a young guy name of Rothschild that did a youtube video a few years ago of his bug out bag.

The contents were worth at least $10,000.

He got a lot of ribbing about his name and I think pulled his channel.

Really was an awesome bag though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
If you're going to leave valuables in your vehicle, (and in some circumstances it might be necessary,) lock them up.

Handguns in gunsafes: https://www.consolevault.com/

Bags inside steel job boxes or tool boxes, secured with either built in locks or padlocks, and chained or bolted to the truck.

Then add a vehicle alarm.

Nothing is thief-proof, but you can make it both time consuming and loud for your basic car prowlers to snatch & grab what's inside your rig. Make them bring some pretty burly tools along if they're going to make off with your stuff.

BTW, if you park your rig where a camera feed is on it having a security system can lower your vehicle insurance policy premiums in some cases. Check with your agent.

I was in parking lots for both break-ins and the stores both had security cameras. I drive a 2015 F-150 Platinum with the alarm system, but before Ford connected the alarm to an app on the phone.

They are popping the locks and leaving the area for a short while until the alarm stops. They then return to rummage through. Not a smash and grab. My center console was rummaged through both times. The first guy also broke my glove box and lifted my back seats to see what was under them. My bag was under the back seat and not visible from outside the truck.

Adding a bolt-in toolbox is a good idea that has crossed my mind, but I have load up the entire bed so often that I cannot afford to give up the space. Locks and chains can be broken.

My wife wonders why I have so little faith in humanity.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman253 View Post
You assume only a few hours walk. If I'm at my office, it's about a 12 mile walk home. But, I have to make unscheduled and immediate trips up to 200 miles for work. I may leave home to go to the office for the day, and by lunch will be 150-200 miles away. What I refer to as a get home bag many would probably class as closer to an INCH bag. If you think about a hike of 150+ miles, it takes a hell of a lot more than just some water, clothes and shoes. Bicycle is not an option in my case.

My office is 18 mostly urban miles away via the shortest route.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:42 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There was a young guy name of Rothschild that did a youtube video a few years ago of his bug out bag.

The contents were worth at least $10,000.

He got a lot of ribbing about his name and I think pulled his channel.

Really was an awesome bag though.
I can see it. Some electronics, to include NVGs or thermal optics would be several thousand right there. I have a Dyneema fabric rain fly for my hammock/backpacking kit that costs a few hundred $$; a quality, high-count (850-900) dry-down quilt can also cost more than a few hundred $$. Some clothing attire like Arc'Teryx can easily add up to a thousand dollars. Again, if you're going for quality (cottage or proven-brand names) and light weight, or certain coveted/niche items, you can end up investing thousands if that's your priority, hobby, or simply have the budget to spend...

I don't necessarily think that $10,000 invested in a get-home bag is "better" than one that may cost less than $300-400, but it would likely have some better capabilities and would be much lighter in general. Of course the individual is the most important part of any kit; their physical and mental conditioning along with the knowledge and skill to use, improvise with what they have to solve problems is the biggest investmentÖ

ROCK6
Old 04-05-2020, 12:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,221 Posts

My 3 bug out bags and medical bags have over 4000.00 of stuff in them.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Target Shooter

That sucks but everyone repeat after me:

"My car is not a safe. My car is not a safe. My car is not a safe."

Now share this with the people that think it is and leave firearms in them.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:24 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPrepper View Post
That sucks but everyone repeat after me:

"My car is not a safe. My car is not a safe. My car is not a safe."

Now share this with the people that think it is and leave firearms in them.
It's all situational. Much like it depends on where you work, depending on where you live, your home isn't safe either. While I agree that what you leave in your vehicle is at risk, it's more important on how your assess and mitigate that risk based on your situation and location. My vehicle is 10X safer parked at work than at home; and at home, it's remote with only one mobile avenue of ingress/egress with security cameras and dog, and non-existent crime-rate.

Your vehicle is no different than your home. If somebody breaks into your house and steals valuables is it your fault? Somebody breaking into my house or car and stealing from me isn't my fault if the stolen items are locked up and out of site. Life is a risk, just make smart decisions, know how to assess risk, mitigate as much as possible, and don't put all your eggs in one basket; and don't put those eggs at risk if they're more expensive than you can replace.

I may be at a financial loss I can handle, but I'll be damned if I'm going to feel responsible for someone else's criminal activity. That's like telling the rape victim she shouldn't have dressed so provacatively. Now, if I'm parking my truck in a seedy neighborhood over the weekend with my bag and/or firearm in the front seat fully exposed, I'm still the victim, I just didn't do a prudent job of situational awareness, risk assessment/mitigation, or decision making. The firearm in the vehicle isn't the problem, it's the individual's ability to assesses and mitigate the risk that's the issue.

ROCK6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 06:32 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Your vehicle is no different than your home. If somebody breaks into your house and steals valuables is it your fault?
Correct this is why I have a SAFE in my home and another ATTACHED inside my car because you know what is a safe? A safe.

What doesn't fit in the safe in the car that I want to keep comes inside with me every night if I'm not parked in my attached garage with alarm system for whatever rare reason. Yes, it sucks taking the admittedly easy to grab GHB in every night but a little discipline sucks less than replacing $1,000 in gear.

I'm not saying this is your fault or you deserve it and I think it really sucks this happened, just pointing out how to more than likely avoid the loss in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,859 Times in 3,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
The police need to hide some snipers in parking garages with lots of crime.
Black face paint, back in the shadows, with a precision 22 LR rifle.
Why pay civil servants to shoot them. If it was legal to boobytrap your property you could reduce crime.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,310 Times in 1,305 Posts

if you keep your vehicle clean, things like that stand out. if you drive a rolling hoarders shack, the pearls do not stand out among the thrift store rejects

just put a big box of books on top of anything valuable. people like that see books and figure anything underneath must be even less interesting.

Quote:
Correct this is why I have a SAFE in my home and another ATTACHED inside my car because you know what is a safe? A safe.
I have thrift store junk safes in every room. The kind featured on Youtube "watch a 3 year old bypass this safe lock in 5 seconds" videos. nothing of value in them - remote controls, $5 thrift shop digital cameras, old film cameras. just enough to distract someone with a puny brain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:53 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 80,188 Times in 23,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
Why pay civil servants to shoot them. If it was legal to boobytrap your property you could reduce crime.
Yeah, that's illegal. The accidental carnage would likely be an issue.

You wreck, rescue worker tries to save your life and gets blown up because he touched the wrong thing.

Same story as land mines. They kill many innocents.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:03 PM

I feel your pain, someone broke into mine and got a gun, but left my GHB. I hope my fix will work. I bought a Packsafe steel mesh that surrounds my pack, locks it securely to hard points in my car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to semccane For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 03:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPrepper View Post

What doesn't fit in the safe in the car that I want to keep comes inside with me every night if I'm not parked in my attached garage with alarm system for whatever rare reason. Yes, it sucks taking the admittedly easy to grab GHB in every night but a little discipline sucks less than replacing $1,000 in gear.

I'm not saying this is your fault or you deserve it and I think it really sucks this happened, just pointing out how to more than likely avoid the loss in the future.
I have a few safes, mostly for fire-protection, but they are an added deterrent for most "smash and grab" thugs for your vehicle. I've got the handgun safe, I now need a larger "AR pistol" safe that I can mount behind my backseat of the truck. It's a big PITA to get back there (trying to clean it makes it pretty clear!), so this isn't a CCW-access firearm, something that is secured, but will take 4-5 minutes to access and retrieve.

However, where I work, it's more secure than most banks, so for work and home, theft is just not a high risk. Now, heading out of town or heading into town on a weekend evening (which doesn't happen often), security is a higher priority. Again, it's very situational dependent and everyone's situation is different.

I do think grabbing the get-home bag and bringing it the home at night is a good practice. I can't necessarily take my bag into work, but I do have to do more rotational inspections during the summer due to the heat.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 05:53 PM
Hunter

I’m more than a little shocked that so many are obsessing over the possibility that a GHB could cost $1000.
I’ve got Zeiss binos in mine that retail for almost a grand by themselves, and I carry a Spyderco Impala knife in my pack that’s now discontinued but sold for almost $200.

I own a house and land that’s over 500 miles from where I live, and my GHB takes getting home from there into consideration.

In my opinion, the OP’s bag seemed well thought out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to retrieverman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrieverman View Post
Iím more than a little shocked that so many are obsessing over the possibility that a GHB could cost $1000.
Iíve got Zeiss binos in mine that retail for almost a grand by themselves, and I carry a Spyderco Impala knife in my pack thatís now discontinued but sold for almost $200.

I own a house and land thatís over 500 miles from where I live, and my GHB takes getting home from there into consideration.

In my opinion, the OPís bag seemed well thought out.
Thank you!