Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,741 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asag View Post
Or you can do your homework or even just accept that Chinese labor goes into something you pick up or switch on. Reservations on Chinese products I have few but I am not going to going into histrionics over it.
China and the global manufacturing chain are here to stay in some form or another as Make The Middle Kingdom Great Again doesn’t have term limits.
Speak for the once Great Britain.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2020, 09:45 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,517 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Like they did with all the flights coming in?

Hahahahaha, not likely.

Was listening to some AM radio station today and the guy made an interesting point. If our governor had allowed flights directly from Wuhan to land in DIA and the people wander all over, he would ha e been bashed hard. But once this became evident even to the most dense among us that it was a serious pandemic, why did he (and all governors) still allow travel between states with zero requirement for quarantine? Stop people from all busses, trains, and aircraft and require a quarantine period before they are allowed to travel throughout the state. Perhaps checkpoints established to deal with vehicular road traffic as well? I suppose it would help to have more efficient, effective, and fast testing but I swear it seems like they are just playing at trying to contain this.
Unfortunately, everyone falls victim to normalcy bias. Governors and CDC heads are no exception.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:08 PM
Sinner w/ a great Savior

Thanked 15,408 Times in 3,055 Posts

Heh, wow

So That CBS Video of the Crowded NYC Hospital? Well, It Turned Out to be an Italian Hospital

https://www.toddstarnes.com/coronavi...lian-hospital/
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to cdevidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,441 Times in 8,587 Posts

MSM broadcasting fake news? Can't be.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:10 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,517 Times in 2,080 Posts
Default If you own a cat

IF YOU OWN A CAT...

...Or should I say, "If you are owned by a cat"?

One of my four cats is extremely elderly, with comorbidities of advanced kidney disease, severe arthritis, possible anemia (because cats shouldn't eat onions, but he gets into my leftovers anyway), and he's a bit thin.

So of course he's having a tough time getting over COVID19.

For those who haven't heard, cats CAN get COVID19, and it can kill them. Two of my four cats started showing symptoms a week after I did. The younger one whipped it almost immediately... but this is old Boogie's second week of illness, with severe coughing and sneezing.

He is not a happy camper.

He has pain as well as congestion and coughing. Two nights ago, he woke up at least four times with coughing, so I decided to take action.

This is how I'm treating him, with some success...

First, I started giving all my cats vitamins this month, which reinforces their immune system. So there's that.

I normally dose Boogie with CBD for his arthritis, which makes him drowsy. However, he also has a prescription for gabapentin, to be used in small doses to help with pain, or larger doses to relax him before seeing the vet.

After his rough night, I started giving him a dose of gabapentin to help him sleep through the day. Combined with CBD, it puts him out for four to six hours during the day. I give him a second small dose at bedtime, so he can sleep through the night.

My reasoning is that if simple rest and sleep helps humans recover from walking pneumonia, then it might help cats, too.

I also keep him warm because I had to trim his fur to remove some mats before all this. So he now sleeps on my lap or on top of the electric blanket, turned on low.

After just one day of sleeping about 20 hours, he was greatly improved. So I've continued the treatment -- keeping him warm and doping him so he sleeps most of the day and all night -- for the last two days as well.

Although he isn't completely recovered yet, he's coughing much less and seems more comfortable.

Considering he's almost 18 years old, I will consider it a huge success if he survives beyond the end of this month. He seems to be doing better, and I will stop the treatment when I haven't heard him cough for two days, and he purrs when I scratch his chin...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,997 Times in 3,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
My aunt is being very reckless. I don't want her anywhere near my house. She was gossiping with her next door neighbor, in the driveway, who is an ICU nurse for intubated Corona patients... I said "most of them die, be careful"

"Oh, I don't know that, I'm fine!"

THIS after she had a big family reunion after one of her sons had an exposure.

RECKLESS. I am not letting her anywhere near my house.

If she doesn't care about herself, her husband, her adult sons and their wives, she has several grandchildren two of whom are infants. You would think she would be more careful.

The good news, I know this before I saw her.
Actually, most of them don't die.

There are ways to do things safely. Chatting in open air outside is a fairly low risk behavior.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,997 Times in 3,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There are 2 main ways the drug works to combat the virus.
The first method keeps the virus spikes from attaching to healthy cells, the second sabotages the replication process.

I think the latter mechanism would be helpful at any stage of the infection.

The first mechanism might not be so helpful once the person is well and truly infected.

I guess they will find out with all of the trials and now general widespread prescribing. If the death toll drops like a rock, that would be a pretty good indicator.
Zithromax has been my go to for the past 3 months. All my c-19's are doing just fine, so far.

Plaquenil is nearly impossible to find right now.

The 3rd med in the combo is zinc 220, which is also damn near impossible to find as well.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 34,650 Times in 9,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paravani View Post
IF YOU OWN A CAT...

...Or should I say, "If you are owned by a cat"?

One of my four cats is extremely elderly, with comorbidities of advanced kidney disease, severe arthritis, possible anemia (because cats shouldn't eat onions, but he gets into my leftovers anyway), and he's a bit thin.

So of course he's having a tough time getting over COVID19.

For those who haven't heard, cats CAN get COVID19, and it can kill them. Two of my four cats started showing symptoms a week after I did. The younger one whipped it almost immediately... but this is old Boogie's second week of illness, with severe coughing and sneezing.

He is not a happy camper.

He has pain as well as congestion and coughing. Two nights ago, he woke up at least four times with coughing, so I decided to take action.

This is how I'm treating him, with some success...

First, I started giving all my cats vitamins this month, which reinforces their immune system. So there's that.

I normally dose Boogie with CBD for his arthritis, which makes him drowsy. However, he also has a prescription for gabapentin, to be used in small doses to help with pain, or larger doses to relax him before seeing the vet.

After his rough night, I started giving him a dose of gabapentin to help him sleep through the day. Combined with CBD, it puts him out for four to six hours during the day. I give him a second small dose at bedtime, so he can sleep through the night.

My reasoning is that if simple rest and sleep helps humans recover from walking pneumonia, then it might help cats, too.

I also keep him warm because I had to trim his fur to remove some mats before all this. So he now sleeps on my lap or on top of the electric blanket, turned on low.

After just one day of sleeping about 20 hours, he was greatly improved. So I've continued the treatment -- keeping him warm and doping him so he sleeps most of the day and all night -- for the last two days as well.

Although he isn't completely recovered yet, he's coughing much less and seems more comfortable.

Considering he's almost 18 years old, I will consider it a huge success if he survives beyond the end of this month. He seems to be doing better, and I will stop the treatment when I haven't heard him cough for two days, and he purrs when I scratch his chin...
Aww, poor Boogie, glad to hear he's getting better. My mother had a cat named Miss Kitty, she lived to be 17. That poor girl was scrawny, had frizzled hair like she had stuck something in a wall socket and got shocked. Hardly had any teeth left. Mom got her when she was about a year old.

She had been mistreated. The mother who had her found out that her kids had been giving her high doses of Marijuana and it caused brain damage so she took the cat away from the kids and gave her to my mom, they were next door neighbors.

She was cross eyed to boot and her back had been broken somewhere when she was younger so her back was humped and she couldn't/wouldn't tolerate anybody touching her especially on the back. When she wanted petting she came to you and you could pet her on the head but nowhere else.

Then it seemed to dawn on her where she was or she would change her mind about being petted in mid stroke and she would come unglued on you fast.

Mom finally had her put down because she got to the point her depth perception was off and she would try to jump from the floor onto a chair or the couch and she would miss plus she got to where she would only eat every other day or so and was losing weight. She just looked and acted like she was miserable.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:14 AM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel870 View Post
Does anyone have the link to the paper that indicated HIV strands were found attached to covid19? TIA
No because it does not exist outside the realms of scare media. The paper a early release from a group of Indian researchers discussed the similarity of some genetic code in your very short regions of proteins in the novel coronavirus and concluded that the small segments of proteins were similar to segments of HIV proteins. Those similarities are also shared by many other viruses as many reviewers pointed out.
The paper was taken down and the researchers will re-examine the conclusions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:17 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,514 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im RIght View Post
zinc 220
How does that differ from OTC zinc gluconate?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:31 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingyow View Post
You mean like the Novel Coronavirus from China? The one that came from the place where China has its bio-weapon research center? And the one that has NO cure as of this moment? And is FATAL?

The Novel Coronavirus that scientists have found strains of HIV in?
But those reports SUDDENLY DISAPPEARED?
The article was apparently withdrawn. By the author for editing.

Quote:
The Novel Coronavirus that China is using HIV drugs to treat???

Link = http://theguardian.com/world/2020/fe...virus-patients

A number of Indian researchers have self-published a paper that claims that the 'building plan' of the novel coronavirus, its RNA, contains elements of the HIV-1 Aids virus RNA.

The paper confirms that the novel coronavirus is related to the virus that caused the SARS epidemic:
The jury is still out on that. There is contradictory information.

It hurts me to see it again but people are seeing one paper and suffering tunnel blindness and not checking other authorities to fact check.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7033698/

Research is ongoing there is contradictory information out there.
Since the reserachgate article was withdrawn - journal published articles would have higher standing academically than withdrawn and non peer reviewed research papers. Both the lancet and the ncbi links seem to indicate the essential natural evolution of the virus. this does not mean that it didn't escape the lab but it seems less likely that it was greatly engineered.

One thing you learn in post secondary studies is not to zero in on one source of information and to lean on information that is supported by all other information, unless you are able to fill in the missing concept that connects the information to the other information credibly with a valid proof of concept.

---

NOw that is not to say once this thing picks up in Africa that we won't have some demonspawn pop into being but the facts don't seem to support it being HIV-1 but rather those are natural characteristics of the SARS family of death.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC222911/

from 2003 rinse repeat.

Now for humours sake if you follow this lab conspiracy back far enough it was made in a US lab in Africa and released in Germany in the 1970s.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:33 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There are 2 main ways the drug works to combat the virus. The first method keeps the virus spikes from attaching to healthy cells, the second sabotages the replication process. I think the latter mechanism would be helpful at any stage of the infection. The first mechanism might not be so helpful once the person is well and truly infected.
So what is it going to take to get a prescription for the meds early on, before it's bad enough to go to the hospital? Do we have to bribe doctors with fresh N95 masks, or what?
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:48 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
So what is it going to take to get a prescription for the meds early on, before it's bad enough to go to the hospital? Do we have to bribe doctors with fresh N95 masks, or what?
what meds?
The Following User Says Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 01:03 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ashley View Post
what meds?
Ones to treat the virus:

Quote:
hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin combo
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 04:02 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 18,406 Times in 4,394 Posts

I believe this NHK documentary is highly enlightening and worth the hour to educate ourselves where Asian countries have made gains controlling transmissions in particular with the use of masks :

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...VJ_XfOVBJ9s4lE

And here our BC Fraser Health government implores 'Get advice you can trust ' stating masks will not help prevent the transmission of the virus particulate , and yet once again my government is either exhibiting incompetence or lying .

https://www.facebook.com/FraserHealt...&theater&ifg=1

If our governments were really responsible they would be drilling us with information how to meticulously use a mask and protective eye wear and gloves optimally , how to use few of them safely , how to ensure the viral load is gone before we reuse them and the self discipline to not touch our faces and disinfect our hands religiously . They would NOT be spreading false information .
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 04:42 AM
Svensk hamster

Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,960 Posts

Seems like viral load at the point of infection can determine the severity. May explain why they have 66 doctors dead in Italy and why there might be a good idea to wear a mask. Even an m95 will catch some of the virus particles you otherwise will inhale.

https://www.phc.ox.ac.uk/covid-19/ev...ty-of-covid-19
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indoorsman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 05:15 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 79,763 Times in 23,246 Posts

Quote:
As of yesterday I believe it is up to the doctor's discretion if he wants to prescribe the Hyroxy chloroquine Z pack combo.

At least the new FDA ruling gives your doctor that latitude to do so outside of trials.

It sounds like the respirator shortage should be over now with so many PPE donations from industry and other countries and organizations "finding" that they had 39 million masks squirreled away in California that they had "forgotten" about. Whoopsie.

Plus there is that nearly 1 million masks at the Auction house near Hobby airport that I suggest one of Houston's hospital administrators should confiscate with local law enforcement (the Sheriff) in tow.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 07:06 AM
Sinner w/ a great Savior

Grocery stores are being better stocked because restaurants are closed. Sysco and US Foods shift supply from restaurants to grocery stores.

https://www.freshfruitportal.com/new...in-to-grocers/
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdevidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 07:11 AM
Sinner w/ a great Savior

I don’t understand all the debate over where this originated. I’m survival-minded so I care most about what it’s doing to me today; primarily, secondarily, etc. It matters little to me if it was born in a lab or born in a bat or in a civet or a pangolin; it matters immensely if I cannot get food tomorrow or my dear aunt dies because of it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdevidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 07:17 AM
Sinner w/ a great Savior

General Electric Workers Launch Protest, Demand to Make Ventilators

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...ke-ventilators
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdevidal For This Useful Post: