Advertise Here

Old 03-30-2020, 01:00 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 4,559 Times in 2,355 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInGa View Post
So just a few seconds ago you said

And there in lies the issue. While it is easy to avoid products with a Made In China label. It's much harder to avoid products like Apple iPhones with parts made in China and assembled in China. Heck most electronics (computers, phones, game consoles, security cameras, etc) contain parts made in China.

The problem gets worse when you get into pharmaceuticals which intentionally obfuscates their component sources.
Or you can do your homework or even just accept that Chinese labor goes into something you pick up or switch on. Reservations on Chinese products I have few but I am not going to going into histrionics over it.
China and the global manufacturing chain are here to stay in some form or another as Make The Middle Kingdom Great Again doesn’t have term limits.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:02 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 80,268 Times in 23,381 Posts

There seems to be some positive news on the hydroxychloroquine / AZITHROMYCIN combo. Twitter has been censoring the statements by Brazilian President and Rudy G. on the subject.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...nt-coronavirus

Found an article in the WSJ giving updated positive report on the testing, but it is behind their pay wall. I guess their contribution to humanity is demanding that you pay for news you might need to deal with a global pandemic.

Meanwhile, the FDA has given approval to the drug for Covid 19 treatment.

https://fortune.com/2020/03/30/malar...authorization/

"Malaria drug Trump touted as coronavirus treatment has been given FDA emergency authorization"

https://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/f...vid-19_1331981

"In a statement from the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the agency said it will allow for the drugs to be "donated to the Strategic National Stockpile to be distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible”.

Sandoz, the generics division of pharma giant Novartis has already donated 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to the stockpile while German pharma company Bayer has donated one million doses of chloroquine."

From what I read earlier, the drugs build up in the system, so to avoid side effects, there needs to be a "loading dosage" until the body concentration is achieved, then the dosage is greatly reduced. (like by half or more).
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:03 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 58,148 Times in 13,182 Posts
Default Do these graphs mean anything?

It looks to me like the number of cases is not accelerating, but starting to curve over. The deaths show a big drop from Saturday.

High population density CITIES are where the majority of cases and deaths are occurring.
Of course potential good news is not allowed.
===

Also the CDC has approved the use of hydroxychloroquine for treatment of Kung Flu.
Lots more anecdotal evidence it's working.

Quote:
Dr. Zelenko Has Now Treated 699 Coronavirus Patients with 100% SUCCESS RATE -- Using Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc and Z-Pak
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...inc-and-z-pak/

In France:

Quote:
Days after beginning a large scale double blinded trial, the so called gold standard, France has now reached the conclusion chloroquine is recommended to treat corona.
https://www.trustnodes.com/2020/03/2...anctions-usage

Quote:
“Hydroxychloroquine and the combination of lopinavir / ritonavir may be prescribed, dispensed and administered under the responsibility of a doctor to patients affected by Covid-19, in the healthcare establishments which take charge of them, as well as for the continuation of their treatment if their condition allows it and with the authorization of the initial prescriber, at home”.
Still waiting on the New York trial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daily new cases.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	300620   Click image for larger version

Name:	daily deaths.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	300622  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:40 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,156 Times in 3,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post

It looks to me like the number of cases is not accelerating, but starting to curve over. The deaths show a big drop from Saturday.

High population density CITIES are where the majority of cases and deaths are occurring.
It can mean something. It can be a fluke. If it holds on over a longer period, it means measures from 2 weeks ago are having an effect. I believe the same for Italy at the moment. 2-3 weeks after the lockdown and quarantine measures cases are holding steady at 5000-6000 / day. Still a lot, but much more manageable. Of course most of Italy's death came through an overwhelmed healthcare, so the death numbers will keep going up or staying steady for a while more.

Basically, we'll know in a couple of days. And then it means growth is staying the same. That means we need to keep current conditions for another 2-3 weeks at least. Then we can see about opening up any measures taken slowly, and monitor the effect the opening up has.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=Lagnar;20195522]

===

Also the CDC has approved the use of hydroxychloroquine for treatment of Kung Flu.
Lots more anecdotal evidence it's working.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...inc-and-z-pak/

My Reaction:

1. I feel a bit snakebit on interpretting "new confirmed case" data. Random variations in test availability is a huge concern. Numbers are great, but without context they loose a lot of value. Improving data is still better than the alternative!

Death counts would be more reliable, especially taken over several days to reduce variations from weekend reporting, etc.

2. Early favorable (outstanding) data on hydroxychloroquine/choroquine is nice to hear. I was rather concerned that it would be an orphan drug that big pharma would try to discredit in favor of a new patented high profit med.

3. Dr. Osterholm brought up a huge concern that reagents could be another bottleneck for testing. Maybe the "quick tests" use a different approach and different reagents. (March 24)

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/p...ow-we-got-here

Last edited by Practical; 03-30-2020 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: reformat to separate quote from response
The Following User Says Thank You to Practical For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,172 Times in 6,998 Posts

Florida minister arrested for not cancelling Sunday services. Government testing the waters? Do a few higher profile cases before cracking down on everyone else; except the homeless and criminals.

https://kfor.com/news/national/flori...at-home-order/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:57 PM
Retired kafir

Angry Grocery stores not allowed to sell you a magazine

How about a newspaper? Probably limited to the ny slimes and the washington compost.

Howard County, Indiana Prohibits the Sale of Nonessential Goods from Stores that are Still Open

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/howard...re-still-open/

Quote:
Goods such as jewelry, furniture, home and lawn decor, toys/games, carpet/rugs/flooring, nonemergency appliances, music/books/magazines, craft and art supplies, paint, and entertainment electronics are classified as “non-essential.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:02 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 80,268 Times in 23,381 Posts

I think with those trend graphs you need to see about 2 weeks of data moving one way or the other before the new infection data means much.

Of course you don't need the test for the death data. Good to see that one going down.

All the crazy things happening with testing catching up to cases.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 PM
SoJer

Thanked 5,274 Times in 1,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There seems to be some positive news on the hydroxychloroquine / AZITHROMYCIN combo.
Along these lines (sorry if posted, elsewhere..) Found this 'CoVID-19 Drug Treaments Empirical Progress Matrix' Very helpful / informative (and it Looks like they are Updating it, ongoing, which is Priceless! It's a PDF, so be aware (scanned it, it's Fine..)

https://www.ashp.org/-/media/assets/...BA744EDF4FFB8C

jd
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:11 PM
unknown

Don't know the source of this video but if this it the reality in Spain its a pretty scary situation over there

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CoHqg_1585433922
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to barkboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:16 PM

"According to the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED), 78% of Minnesota jobs are in critical industries, like public works, energy, financial services, teachers and much more."

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...are-essential/

Is the MN stay at home order doing much more than lip service? Sure, we are social distancing, some are working from home, and so forth, but 78% are exempt from the order!

On the other hand gas sales are way down based on what I see when driving by gas stations.

But 78% are not under "stay at home order". Am I missing something?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Practical For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,647 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygata View Post
State of Maryland:

All persons living in the State of Maryland are hereby ordered, effective as of 8:00 p.m. on March 30, 2020, to stay in their homes or places of residences
A person who knowingly and willfully violates this Order is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding one year or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

https://www.scribd.com/document/4539...-Order-3-30-20
I don't live there so maybe I don't count, but I have a very important medical appt there on Friday. I will be willfully and knowingly violating their order...as long as the Doc does, too.
I've already postponed it as long as the Doc says I can. He says I'm in danger of losing my vision if I put it off longer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:28 PM
Sinner w/ a great Savior

Thanked 15,408 Times in 3,055 Posts

“Just the flu” in 15 days if the rate holds, the number of US deaths will surpass the flu. Currently at 3k deaths, doubling every three days. So far the rate has held consistently.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdevidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:30 PM
Retired kafir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I think with those trend graphs you need to see about 2 weeks of data moving one way or the other before they mean much.

All the crazy things happening with testing catching up to cases.
I'm looking for trends. A hyperbolic curve like this is what the fear mongers are touting:

This is the bell curve that is being predicted.

In a few more days we will see if the top is going straight up or rounding off.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:34 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,156 Times in 3,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Practical View Post
"According to the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED), 78% of Minnesota jobs are in critical industries, like public works, energy, financial services, teachers and much more."

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...are-essential/

Is the MN stay at home order doing much more than lip service? Sure, we are social distancing, some are working from home, and so forth, but 78% are exempt from the order!

On the other hand gas sales are way down based on what I see when driving by gas stations.

But 78% are not under "stay at home order". Am I missing something?
Many of the "critical" jobs can be done remotely, since much of that is administrationwork and data processing or things like that. Most helpdesks (can fall under critical jobs depending on the kind of helpdesk you work) for example don't need you to go to a callcenter or office, you can just as well connect from home and take calls. The bosses just don't like that very much. Those who need to be on the location, generally need to also keep guidelines in mind, and try and keep distant, where possible.

Other than the critical jobs, those people should also "stay at home" in the sense that they shouldn't go out other than what's needed. So no drive to the park to have a nice beachparty at the lake

How well they follow it and try to get around the "loophole", will remain to be seen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:45 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,859 Times in 9,557 Posts

I have a hands on important job feeding postal workers.

I also have a letter.

They should allow the sale of craft and entertainment items otherwise people are going to go nuts shut up and harm each other. Or go out and do something really stupid.

For instance, my husband and his head phones. We would both go nuts without them.

I have crafts and some puzzles should I feel led (I am running depressed right now so not really interested). My family and some friends have been guilty of the beach party. Not me, personally.

I don't have kids so I can't pretend to understand what's that like being cooped up with small kids, but when I was a little girl on the East Coast we had a very bad blizzard one year and got snowed in for weeks. We had school all the way up to July when we did get back.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:48 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,578 Times in 2,094 Posts
Default Social Distancing Extended to End of April

I don't think this has been posted yet, but I might have missed it because I'm no longer reading every single post, just most of them.

Trump Extends Social Distancing until April 30th, Says Coronavirus Peak is Likely to Hit in 2 Weeks

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...pril-30-2020-3
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:53 PM
Retired kafir

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post

They should allow the sale of craft and entertainment items otherwise people are going to go nuts shut up and harm each other.
People in Howard county will just drive to the next county over where stupidity doesn't reign supreme. Unless there are roadblocks on the county line.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:55 PM

Maybe it will reduce enough social contact to make a difference, but your beach party is ok under our exec order! I could drive a Mac truck through the holes. It seems that the only way to violate the order is to intentionally tell off the cop that questions you. If you don't want to stay home, just pick exemption before you leave, such that you can recite it if challenged..

You can go visit someone to "check on them". Get or deliver necessities which seem to include almost everything but flowers. I just spoke to someone who prints junk mail - it's part of the mail system - therefore exempt!

https://www.leg.state.mn.us/archive/...ders/20-20.pdf

Outdoor activities. Individuals may engage in outdoor activities (e.g.,walking, hiking, running, biking, driving for pleasure, hunting, or fishing),and may go to available public parks and other public recreation lands,consistent with remaining at least six feet apart from individuals from other households...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Practical For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:59 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 10,320 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInGa View Post
And there in lies the issue. While it is easy to avoid products with a Made In China label. It's much harder to avoid products like Apple iPhones with parts made in China and assembled in China. Heck most electronics (computers, phones, game consoles, security cameras, etc) contain parts made in China.

The problem gets worse when you get into pharmaceuticals which intentionally obfuscates their component sources.
Give it time. China has sown the seeds of their own undoing. China produces some unique inputs for pharm and other products that do not exist elsewhere. That does not mean they can't be replaced with substitute goods. Right now the world is in the grips of survival. When that passes, suffering and grief will give way to wrath. It's already begun. China's brand which previously suffered is now ruined. They will forever be thought of as bat-eaters who unleashed a plague upon mankind. It's not the people I despise. We are all "tabula rasa" at birth. It's the ideology which unfortunately has been very successfully brainwashed into most of them.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post: