Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-28-2020, 08:12 PM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Thanked 76,903 Times in 20,565 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I keep reading in a lot of posts about immunity among survivors. Is there any proof that recovered patients actually have immunity? I have seen speculation of short term or long term immunity but proof?
It's safe to assume that anybody infected will be immune for a while. Years at least. But how long immunity will last will depend on factors that need more research.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,032 Times in 7,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
More interesting to me was how he mentioned calling up “Ready Reserves”.

“I’ve empowered our nations governors with the resources to call up the National Guard and authorize the activation of READY RESERVES (points at paper and pauses), Two big words, Ready Reserves.”
UN troops?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,172 Times in 3,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I keep reading in a lot of posts about immunity among survivors. Is there any proof that recovered patients actually have immunity? I have seen speculation of short term or long term immunity but proof?
What type of proof are you looking for? The virus is 4 months old and most of the people who caught the virus still have it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:36 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 80,268 Times in 23,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
UN troops?
No, that is just the Army reserves I believe.

Ready reserves, not so ready reserves, and retired reserves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Reserve
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:51 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,010 Times in 9,307 Posts

Wow, looking at the stats, some MASSIVE jumps in deaths today.

Last time I looked the UK had like 5 deaths. Now the UK is over 1000 with a jump of 35% just today!

US deaths jumped 30% today! 515 new deaths today.

Germany jumped up 23% into high double digits.

Belgium up 23% to 353.

Portugal up 24% to 100 deaths.

Brazil up 24% to 115 deaths.

Other massive jumps in % but low raw figures.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 09:03 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 58,148 Times in 13,182 Posts
Default Trump considers quarantine - cuomo loses his ****

Quote:
President Donald Trump told reporters on Saturday that he considering quarantining parts of the Northeast as a way of mitigating the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus. As it currently stands, New York City is America's hotbed for the spread of the disease. As of Saturday at 10 a.m. EST, the Big Apple has 29,158 cases with 517 deaths.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...heast-n2565902

Quote:
Governor Cuomo: Trump Quarantining New York To Stop Coronavirus Is ‘Declaration Of War’ On New York
It's a hot spot, right? The BIGGEST hot spot.

Quote:
“I don’t believe that he could be serious, that any federal administration could be serious about a physical lockdown of states or parts of states across this country,” Cuomo continued. “I don’t believe it is legal. I think it would be economic chaos. I don’t think the American people would stand for it. It’s just a question of time before you see the numbers growing in hot spots across the nation. So, I think it makes absolutely no sense and I don’t believe any serious governmental personality or professional would support it.”
https://www.dailywire.com/news/gover...ar-on-new-york

I guess cuomo's not really serious about slowing the spread.

And Trump is.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannygrump View Post
Taiwan says they have a 30 second to test for asymptomatic covid19.

https://youtu.be/S2ME0KXYUd4

found the fact two police forces from neighbouring states got into a brawl with one another on a bridge over the Yangtze river... before residents joined the police in the brawl and flipped a police cruiser over...

weird times in China right now. This virus is likely still a serious threat to the CCP control over the public.

yes the 30 second test is useful but how many ultrasound etc.. machines are going to be tied up on this now...
how many more will they need to order on that front also.

the event was referenced in the previous posters news youtube link.

More than the quarantine appears to be lifted in Hubei.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 09:17 PM
Retired kafir

Default 15 minute test

Quote:
CNN — Federal health officials on Friday approved a coronavirus test that can provide results in less than 15 minutes, using the same technology that powers some rapid flu tests.
Quote:
The test's maker, Abbott Laboratories, said it expects to deliver 50,000 tests per day beginning next week. The technology behind the test looks for genes that are present in the virus, similar to PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests already on the market.

The platform used to run the test weighs less than 7 pounds, according to Abbott, and could be deployed "where testing is needed most."
https://www.ksl.com/article/46735683...ronavirus-test
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 09:22 PM
Lost in the Woods

Thanked 1,759 Times in 444 Posts

We had heard some time ago that there were two strains of the virus; L and S; and speculation was that the L strain was more deadly of the two and most likely what was in Italy. Now here is an article suggesting that there are already 8 strains: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/5080571002/

Frightening if you are trying to come up with a vaccine.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Fastowl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 09:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,995 Times in 4,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Watch this, if true, OMG! Supppsedly Covid19 can live on frozen surfaces and on outsides of your frozen foods for TWO YEARS?!
https://youtu.be/TKx-F4AKteE
viruses are most stable at freezing. As soon as you heat the food up it becomes inactivated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 11:03 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 37,773 Times in 9,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
Then why do so many Canadians come to the US. pay out of pocket for Room/board/medical treatment, and complain that the wait-list to get anything done in Canada is prohibitively long? The Commonwealth Fund, a U.S. think tank, released a report two years ago ranking Canada 10th out of 11 wealthy nations in terms of health care. Only the United States fared worse.
They can't get through the PUBLIC system. Not the private.

Canada triages and the public system is good enough to keep people alive and functional. If you have a mild illness with no immediate threat you're going to the back of the line and you'll stay there until all the seriously ill people are finished.

That's why the private system exists. All those people with non-serious conditions, or made up conditions, go to private clinics to get taken care of. There's clinics in Canada that are doing the same thing, and they're typically better than ours, and definitely cheaper. Also the clinics in the US are having to provide better service and charge less to attract the Canadians too.

When Canadians complain about Canadian healthcare, they're complaining about the public system. If they want an MRI they can pay $500 to a private clinic and get an MRI tomorrow that will provide a spa-like experience. Or if they're on the border they can hop the border and get it on the US side. What they're complaining about is that not everyone gets for 'free.' Extra service costs extra money. They want the fancy stuff included in the public system, and that's not a good idea.

If they get in a car wreck they'll still get trauma care equal to the US without being extorted. But if they really have to have that ED prescription today they're going to have to pay extra.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,849 Times in 7,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post

If they get in a car wreck they'll still get trauma care equal to the US without being extorted.
I will vouch for that. Some years ago a fellow racer got into a very bad crash at Mosport, and the Canadian HS gave him excellent care. He wasn't let out of the hospital for a solid month, too. I gathered later that he wasn't charged a thing, even though he was an American citizen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 11:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,590 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
UN troops?
All 34 of them? :D They must some real supermen if that was first thing in your mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 11:37 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 37,773 Times in 9,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
The common cold is technically a "coronavirus" and the reason we keep getting colds is that there are so many variations in part b/c of mutations (drifts and shifts) We may be immune to COVID 19 as long as it doesn't mutate too far.
We do see a very significant number of reinfections, and we've even found at least 1 patient (one of the earliest US patients) who had both strains identified. There's no evidence at all that people can't be reinfected. At the very least it's safe to assume that the S and L strains do not both create immunity to each other. Given how rapidly we identified a second strain, there's a good chance there are many others as well given the massive increase in viruses and instances of virus replication in the world since then.

We don't know how bad it is, but no one should assume there's any immunity granted at all until we've got documented real world human examples of re-exposure without reinfection. Both for same-strain, and separate strain. The ethics issues here are staggering asking for volunteers, but it's something that should be considered. Especially with healthcare workers.

Speaking of which, I really hope we're still doing a bunch of testing and monitoring for additional strains beyond the 2 initially discovered. We could see mutations in any direction and it would suck if we got caught off-guard.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 12:27 AM
White Hat

Thanked 12,578 Times in 2,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
We do see a very significant number of reinfections, and we've even found at least 1 patient (one of the earliest US patients) who had both strains identified. There's no evidence at all that people can't be reinfected. At the very least it's safe to assume that the S and L strains do not both create immunity to each other. Given how rapidly we identified a second strain, there's a good chance there are many others as well given the massive increase in viruses and instances of virus replication in the world since then.

We don't know how bad it is, but no one should assume there's any immunity granted at all until we've got documented real world human examples of re-exposure without reinfection. Both for same-strain, and separate strain. The ethics issues here are staggering asking for volunteers, but it's something that should be considered. Especially with healthcare workers.

Speaking of which, I really hope we're still doing a bunch of testing and monitoring for additional strains beyond the 2 initially discovered. We could see mutations in any direction and it would suck if we got caught off-guard.
So I think I am finally recovering from some strain of the S type that was very likely given to me by a stupid old Italian woman from Veneto who fled quarantine and then went shopping for groceries in the US even though she had a cough.

And if my mother in law in Washington State gets sick, she will most likely have been infected with one of the older Washington strains...

... Either the one from the US's patient zero, who somehow managed to infect at least 35 people even though he was in isolation in the hospital for two weeks...

... Or the one that a Korean woman spread to a Kirkland nursing home that now has dozens of dead, though most of them were senior citizens with other health issues.

If my mother-in-law is ill, I will be the only one who can care for her properly. Does this mean I'm likely to become infected with her new-to-me strain?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 12:37 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,068 Times in 511 Posts

3 different icu nurses from 3 different long island hospitals are saying the same thing: they don't have enough PPE, they are almost out of ventilators, the infected are almost equally spread through all age ranges, most people are not being tested but treated for assumed covid19, a lot of people are dying of covid19 but not being counted, many of the sick die within 3 days, and the media and government is way under reporting the sick and dying.

All 3 reports are 2nd hand (thru my brother, my m.i.l., and a friend). Each report is one person removed. None of the 3 nurses know me or each other, and I feel very confident in 2 of the reports.

One nurse claims they have so many people dying they had to set up a separate morgue area. I'm not sure if that was a miscommunication though so I'm trying to get confirmation.

Be safe everyone. Take your precautions seriously. It's the real deal here in NY. I can only hope it doesn't get this bad across America.

God Bless us all.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to squirrel870 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 12:53 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,156 Times in 3,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel870 View Post
3 different icu nurses from 3 different long island hospitals are saying the same thing: they don't have enough PPE, they are almost out of ventilators, the infected are almost equally spread through all age ranges, most people are not being tested but treated for assumed covid19, a lot of people are dying of covid19 but not being counted, many of the sick die within 3 days, and the media and government is way under reporting the sick and dying.

All 3 reports are 2nd hand (thru my brother, my m.i.l., and a friend). Each report is one person removed. None of the 3 nurses know me or each other, and I feel very confident in 2 of the reports.

One nurse claims they have so many people dying they had to set up a separate morgue area. I'm not sure if that was a miscommunication though so I'm trying to get confirmation.

Be safe everyone. Take your precautions seriously. It's the real deal here in NY. I can only hope it doesn't get this bad across America.

God Bless us all.
There was a video 1 or 2 days back that showed a refrigerated trailer being used to store dead bodies, so guess that's confirmed.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 01:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 70,938 Times in 22,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
viruses are most stable at freezing. As soon as you heat the food up it becomes inactivated.
Last I saw it was something like 133 degrees for 30+ minutes.

If hardly call that "as soon as"

I'm sure it's faster at a higher temp, but let's give out no Intel vs bad Intel please.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 01:25 AM
Retired kafir

Quote:

God Bless us all.
According to cuomo they have a stockpile of vents but they aren't needed yet.

Quote:
“Of course we didn’t — that’s the whole point,” Cuomo said. “The hospitals don’t need them yet. The hospitals aren’t at their apex. The hospitals have enough ventilators today, but their numbers are going up.”

“Yes, they’re in a stockpile because that’s where they are supposed to be because we don’t need them yet,” Cuomo said. “We need them for the apex, the apex isn’t here, so we’re gathering them in a stockpile.”
https://www.lacortenews.com/n/andrew...oviding-enough

New York has about 11,000 in its stockpile. 7,000 plus the 4,000 sent by the feds.

There are about 12,700 ventilators in the national stockpile. Cuomo wants all of them and then some.

What about the rest of the country? Doesn't it count?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 01:26 AM
Lost in the Woods

Thanked 1,759 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:

God Bless us all.
Not sure about the PPE but Cuomo admits on TV that NY has spare ventilators that they have not deployed. So I am confused as to why they are 'almost out of ventilators' when NY admits they have a few thousand in reserve. Plus they acknowledge now that the feds have already delivered a few thousand more that the governor didn't know about or acknowledge. Very curious indeed.

Am I missing something here?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fastowl For This Useful Post: