Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-28-2020, 05:33 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,151 Times in 3,336 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
You could go dunk your head in a bucket of Clorox. That will fix the itch and kill any bugs living there. You always wanted to be a blonde didn't ya?

I haven't left the house since the 11th. No contact with ANYBODY. I'll scratch my nose, shave, and everything else I usually do concerning my face.
Well, technically it's not "don't touch your face", it's "don't touch your face without washing your hands, and for gods sake, wash your hands people!!!". It's over here anyway .
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,316 Times in 11,677 Posts

I posted this in another thread but thought it food for thought here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Worldwide "A" is STILL much smaller than the number of Americans who had the flu this season.

It is no big deal compared to the self-destructive reaction of ruining the economy. There is a risk of getting C-virus if we leave quarantine. This risk has to be weighed against certain death of staying home - eventually the food in quarantine will run out.

IMO, those in high risk groups should stay quarantined while everyone else gets back to work. Pretend the 1% chance of death makes you a brave, little soldier like those scaredy cats facing slightly higher death rates (80%) as 10,000 rounds an hour poured down on those who climbed the walls on Pointe du Hoc at Normandy on D-day.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:01 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,729 Times in 9,500 Posts

Disability rights people are starting to freak because Alabama (I think) "let" a woman with Down's die recently. They are talking, as I am, about how they know PWD (people with disabilities), particularly the "slow" and autistic are going to be denied care because no one sees them as having value.

And they are absolutely right. Now my husband and I are DNR anyway but it should be an individual choice, if the individual can choose. If they can't choose not an easy answer on that. You kill a nurse to save a 30 year old guy in a diaper?

I don't envy the people making those choices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 79,763 Times in 23,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Authorities shut down an auction warehouse that was hoarding some huge number of masks to sell at steep markup prices.

Oh, here it is. 750,000 masks in auction warehouse in Houston. Authorities stopped their being sold because of price gouging. Now they just sit unused.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...8-f42cdb6b7cd1

If Houston hospitals are desperate for masks, I would suggest they call a sheriff to see if they can take/secure those masks and compensate the auction house at a fair price.

750,000 new masks sitting in a warehouse right by Hobby Airport, South Houston.

Auctions Unlimited
8777 Tallyho rd. #3
S Houston., TX
832-804-9455
bumping to get on new page
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:15 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 57,573 Times in 13,068 Posts

Quote:
Authorities shut down an auction warehouse that was hoarding some huge number of masks to sell at steep markup prices.

Oh, here it is. 750,000 masks in auction warehouse in Houston. Authorities stopped their being sold because of price gouging. Now they just sit unused.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...8-f42cdb6b7cd1

If Houston hospitals are desperate for masks, I would suggest they call a sheriff to see if they can take/secure those masks and compensate the auction house at a fair price.

750,000 new masks sitting in a warehouse right by Hobby Airport, South Houston.

Auctions Unlimited
8777 Tallyho rd. #3
S Houston., TX
832-804-9455
Auctioning off a critical item during a national emergency?

Quote:
He said the handful of sellers who contracted him are reputable businesses but they do not want to be identified publicly.
"reputable businesses"? do tell.

Of course they don't want to be identified. They'd be strung up. Justifiably so.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:39 PM

Yes, if I was a hospital administrator I would grab a sheriff's deputy, get a judge to swear out some sort of order and bring those masks to the hospital. This could be the difference in life and death for some hospital staff. Go get what you need under force of law and worry about the reimbursement later if necessary.

Having hospital workers reusing disposable masks is the saddest thing I have heard of in a long time. Go get your masks!

Texas has the best judges and sheriffs on the planet. They will make this happen if you call them.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:26 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,127 Times in 13,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paravani View Post
My old cat, Boogie, is still struggling to kick the virus. Last night he had several coughing spells, and his nose sounds congested, too. He hurts somewhere as well... he has howled angrily, as if to chase the pain away!

Well, he was already pretty old, and I've been saying for several months that I'd usher him over the rainbow bridge if the day came that he was too miserable to purr...

That day is here. But not like this, not when he might still recover.

I'm continuing to give him CBD, but today I added a dose of the gabapentin his doctor prescribed for his arthritis weeks ago. He's sleeping quietly, which is the best thing for him.

So far no blood spots, no diarrhea, no loss of bladder control or any other truly distressing symptoms.

But he's definitely sicker than I have been.
THE virus? When did it jump species? I need details - source?
Best wishes to Boogie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Best wishes to Boogie.
China required its people to kill their pet cats and dogs, because they felt they were a disease vector risk. At least that was reported, maybe it was fake news.
never know these days.

https://www.greenqueen.com.hk/pets-a...isinformation/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:40 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,373 Times in 2,076 Posts

It has been reported for some time now it can infect pets as well as people.

Here it is "interesting" severe weather here , tornado watches & warnings all around us...
Old 03-28-2020, 07:54 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 19,464 Times in 5,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
Here it is "interesting" severe weather here , tornado watches & warnings all around us...
Good luck to you and yours tonight, stay safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:59 PM

They need to fix the mountains so they stop spinning off those tornadoes.

Blast a big gap to let the cold air through.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:02 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,519 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Best wishes to Boogie.
Three weeks ago, an old Italian woman coughed on me. I was already isolating myself, but I had to go to an early appointment that day to ask my doctor to okay 3 months worth of prescriptions for me. It was early enough in the day that I thought it would be safe to go grocery shopping one last time.

I was wrong.

Three days later I had a scratchy throat and my temperature was slightly elevated. I normally take several vitamins every morning, but I upped my dosage of vitamins C and D, and took some zinc. I also ate well and rested, sleeping or reading in bed 10 to 14 hours daily, and generally babying myself as if I had walking pneumonia (which is essentially what COVID19 is).

I've had walking pneumonia once before, and this seemed very similar. I felt pretty good most of the time, but I'd wake up in the middle of the night with a cough and a sore throat, and I could hear a crackling in my lungs when I exhaled.

During my second week, 2 of my cats got it. Sparky is only 5yo, and brimming with health and vigor... nevertheless, I heard him sneeze a couple of times that week. He's fine now.

But Boogie is still sick, and I'm just trying to love him back to health.

He has stuck by me and been devoted to me ever since I first adopted him as a kitten in 2002. I've had double pneumonia three times in Boogie's life, and countless other illnesses... and each time, he parked himself beside me on the bed, and didn't leave my side until I was well again. Oh, he might have left briefly to eat or use his sandbox... but he'd come right back, as if I was the central fact of his world, as if the universe hung in the balance. No lover has ever been more devoted to me.

So now he's parked on my lap, and I'm keeping him warm and comfortable while he sleeps. It's the least I can do.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:14 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,519 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
China required its people to kill their pet cats and dogs, because they felt they were a disease vector risk. At least that was reported, maybe it was fake news.
never know these days.

https://www.greenqueen.com.hk/pets-a...isinformation/
Yes, I thought it was a panicked overreaction on the part of the CCP, too. I didn't believe that pets could actually get sick... although maybe they could carry "fomites" on their fur if a sick person petted them.

But seeing my two older cats sneeze and cough a week after I started getting sick made a believer out of me. Boogie is clearly ill, and I had never heard a cat cough in all my life until he got sick. They aren't dry coughs, either.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was caused by something else... but it seems fishy to me, considering we are in the middle of a pandemic caused by a virus that initially jumped from animals to humans.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, I thought it was a panicked overreaction on the part of the CCP. I didn't believe that pets could actually get sick... although maybe they could carry "fomites" on their fur if a sick person petted them.

But seeing my two older cats sneeze and cough a week after I started getting sick made a believer out of me. Boogie is clearly ill, and I had never heard a cat cough in all my life until he got sick. They aren't dry coughs, either.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was caused by something else... but it seems fishy to me, considering we are in the middle of a pandemic caused by a virus that initially jumped from animals to humans.
I hope Boogie gets better and makes it through. I don't normally like cats because I am a dog person but I do not like seeing any animal suffer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,373 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
Good luck to you and yours tonight, stay safe.
Thank you Ghost, appreciate it very much.

We made it fine through that series of storms, local news said 70MPH+ winds , heavy rain & hail .
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, I thought it was a panicked overreaction on the part of the CCP, too. I didn't believe that pets could actually get sick... although maybe they could carry "fomites" on their fur if a sick person petted them.

Viruses jump species all the time. Not the least bit surprising that it would make a cat sick.

I like cats and dogs a lot, but not enough that I want to deal with their poop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
Thank you Ghost, appreciate it very much.

We made it fine through that series of storms, local news said 70MPH+ winds , heavy rain & hail .
Thank God you guys are still alright.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,077 Times in 5,050 Posts

Quote:
bumping to get on new page
The government should confiscate them but Hildago/Turner don't have the guts.
I am starting to worry about Abbott, too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
The government should confiscate them but Hildago/Turner don't have the guts.
I am starting to worry about Abbott, too.
Don't need the Mayor.

Anyone with a little rank in the Hospital needs to call their Sheriff's office and get those masks.

I can't imagine them turning you down. There is nothing as important as keeping the hospitals running efficiently and not losing the hospital staff for the lack of a damn 50 cent dust mask.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:37 PM

I ordered the new Jackery Explorer 1000 power station for backup power. I received a delivery notice but no power station. I have Nest cameras covering my home's perimeter so I knew the driver never arrived. I submitted a claim to Fedex. I started thinking-there's a neighboring town that has the same street name and address as my house that pizza delivery guys have been going to by mistake for years. Using reverse information I called and left a message at the number for the address and the owner was kind enough to call me back. Turns out she rents the place to a guy that's in Florida for the winter (I live in a suburb of Chicago). I told her I suspected a package of mine was delivered there in error but didn't want to get arrested by the cops or shot for going on private property without permission and removing a package! She was cautious but said she had no objection to me driving over and checking.

I guessed right-I found the power station!. It goes with my two Rockpals 100w solar panels, my Dometic CFX 28 and CFX 95DZW coolers so if the power goes out I have refrigeration, albeit limited (about 4 cubic feet with freezer capability). I called the owner of the property and thanked her again for being a Good Samaritan!

My wife has become more of a survivalist during this pandemic. She no longer makes fun of the boxes of Mountain House, canned and other freeze dried foods (we have a 6 month supply and enough dog food for 6 months also), generator and the firearms and ammo I stockpiled during the Obama administration. She even discovered and ordered a couple of WaterBob bathtub water storage bladders-that's my girl!

I hope I never have to use this stuff for anything but having fun but I sure sleep better knowing that we have it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to junior1954 For This Useful Post: