Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-27-2020, 01:51 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 80,188 Times in 23,351 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Thank you for your thanks. It does not have to be TEOTWAWKI to be a SHTF situation. And it can quickly escalate if YOU'RE one of the people who get severely sick and die or are permanently invalided. That's the end of the world as we know it for you and the people who care for you.

It is good to think along those lines.
Would a broken defrost timer do that also?

Sorry, I thought I was replying to Ghost on the clean the coils post for the fridge.

Musta got distracted by something.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 05:04 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,608 Times in 822 Posts

First benefit of staying home: I've begun the spring chicken coop clear out and this year I can take my time with the job instead of killing my back over a weekend.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
They say to not touch your face.

How is that possible?
Dip your hands in a mixture of Hot Sauce and Pyridine.

You won't touch your face, I garr an tee it.

(pyridine is the worst smelling chemical I have even smelled. I wanted to rip my nose off after smelling it.)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
They say to not touch your face.

How is that possible?
Easy. Don't. Touch. Your. Face.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Theflyingsmurf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 11:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,626 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
It's not the compressor. I don't know the technical terms so bear with me: there's a plastic compartment where the cold air comes down from the freezer (freezer is on top). There are metal coils inside that compartment. They keep completely icing over, turning into a solid brick of ice which fills the compartment and stops any cold air for reaching the refrigerator. The freezer doesn't need defrosting, it's just those coils that ice over.
Another thing to check is the drain line that comes out the back from up near the freezer and goes down to the drain pan underneath. It can get clogged either by a mildew clump, some food crumbs or one of those things can cause it to drain slowly and get a frozen blockage.
That backs the water up and it can freeze on the coils. Disconnect it if you can, up by the freezer and see if you can blow air through it.
Had it happen here recently.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 11:11 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 19,748 Times in 5,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theflyingsmurf View Post
Easy. Don't. Touch. Your. Face.
But, But what if your nose itches?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:08 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 20,964 Times in 6,133 Posts

Drinking Sangria, counting down the minutes to lockdown like its new-years eve.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:49 AM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 1,640 Times in 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Black.Dog~ View Post
Another thing to check is the drain line that comes out the back from up near the freezer and goes down to the drain pan underneath. It can get clogged either by a mildew clump, some food crumbs or one of those things can cause it to drain slowly and get a frozen blockage.
That backs the water up and it can freeze on the coils. Disconnect it if you can, up by the freezer and see if you can blow air through it. Had it happen here recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Thank you, I'm going to check those.

Just got word our local police are now doing catch-and-release for nonviolent crimes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:55 AM
A blindman in a minefield

A little update from my neck of the woods:

Forbiden to leave your county?(do not know if it is the right word) except if you have a special pass that you have to apply for(emergencies, shopping-if you do not have a shop in your vicinity)

Forbiden gathering of 5 or more people(even thinking of decreasing that to 2 people)

All farmer markets closed(even tho last night they announced they will open some fish markets...to soon imo it is going to give another venue for spreading)

Public transport extremely curtailed/closed just a few lines working for people working in necessary jobs

Attachment if i managed to upload it shows the progression of the infected in my country with all the measures i mentioned and more not mentioned.

Of course people found a way to gather around(idiots) since gas stations are open and they sell all kinds of knick knacks people started gathering there, so anoter measure put in place you can buy stuff on a gas station only if you primarily got there to gets gas/diesel/lpg otherwise i guess they will not allow you to buy anything(have not tried it)

Islands in my country have also closed down to anyone not living on them

Ofc since mid march all borders closed except for food stufs etc..

Police stations and offices no longer open for things like extending your documents etc..

Banks are talking about perhaps deferring payments of all loans(who know nothing sure as of now)

.gov you can apply for a moratorium on paying for your monthly taxes(did apply do not know the result as of yet)

People stay safe and really isolate as much as you can. Stay safe.

A few ideas that people have started to do that can offer you some income..

No contact deliveries of food, alcohol(that is a popular measure i am sure you can imagine) and all sorts of other stuff.

ex. Get a few different producers of foodstuf, drinks, whatever you can and create,market the products(facebook,local ham networks, etc.) so that people can order and pay online(paypal? or bank transfers etc.) then do deliveries to door(without any contact between--so please try not to have a cash purchases)

Those who "hypotetically" have moonshine think about the way to turn it into sanitizers(i know blasphemy but the market for that can be huge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hr.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	300452  

Last edited by lohi; 03-28-2020 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: adding info
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lohi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:01 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,827 Times in 9,546 Posts

And we just paid the credit card (due on the 3rd). We have to go back to the bank as we got a surprise check, but the card is paid.

With all that has happened our emergency fund (once pretty hearty) is pretty effectively gone.

When my fridge started leaking (what is it with the leaks?!) a few years back it was a component in the ice making compartment, it was frozen, when the trays would try to fill it would run down in the drip pan and overflow on the floor. We spent hundreds trying to fix it and had to disable the ice maker and disconnect the line. It works great as a fridge but ice is gone. They told us to buy a new fridge but it is frosty so we have just kept it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:53 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
And we just paid the credit card (due on the 3rd). We have to go back to the bank as we got a surprise check, but the card is paid.

With all that has happened our emergency fund (once pretty hearty) is pretty effectively gone.

When my fridge started leaking (what is it with the leaks?!) a few years back it was a component in the ice making compartment, it was frozen, when the trays would try to fill it would run down in the drip pan and overflow on the floor. We spent hundreds trying to fix it and had to disable the ice maker and disconnect the line. It works great as a fridge but ice is gone. They told us to buy a new fridge but it is frosty so we have just kept it.
Does your bank have an app? I know many are allowing check deposits via smartphone pictures using their apps. It really is one of the few things I like about smartphones. Now if I could just keep people from calling me on the darn thing.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BCseacow83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 03:30 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,252 Times in 13,835 Posts

A trick I used in the OR when teaching med students not to touch - put a thick, brightly colored rubber band on your dominant wrist - some of you may need to do both. Before your hand gets to your face it will remind you not to touch. Wash the rubber band everytime you wash your hands and change it daily.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 04:13 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 26,338 Times in 7,760 Posts
Default CAW!

Quote:

Sorry, I thought I was replying to Ghost on the clean the coils post for the fridge.

Wominz have a way of doing that to you.

edit: ymmv of course

Last edited by n1d; 03-28-2020 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: cause im sure to **** off pam~n~toe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:

I suppose it is possible, I am not a fridge repairman. I do know that the air coils in the back get dirty and it does that. Usually warm soapy water with a soft brush like maybe a brass brush cleans them and I usually do not have problems after that. I had it happen to me and thought back to when I had my air pump serviced for the same thing so I checked it and they were dirty. So I cleaned them and it took care of the problem. Many times they collect dust and are not cleaned as often because they are usually in the back against a wall. To me that would be the fastest and cheapest thing to check first.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 04:37 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,573 Times in 2,092 Posts

My old cat, Boogie, is still struggling to kick the virus. Last night he had several coughing spells, and his nose sounds congested, too. He hurts somewhere as well... he has howled angrily, as if to chase the pain away!

Well, he was already pretty old, and I've been saying for several months that I'd usher him over the rainbow bridge if the day came that he was too miserable to purr...

That day is here. But not like this, not when he might still recover.

I'm continuing to give him CBD, but today I added a dose of the gabapentin his doctor prescribed for his arthritis weeks ago. He's sleeping quietly, which is the best thing for him.

So far no blood spots, no diarrhea, no loss of bladder control or any other truly distressing symptoms.

But he's definitely sicker than I have been.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:03 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 58,055 Times in 13,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
But, But what if your nose itches?
You could go dunk your head in a bucket of Clorox. That will fix the itch and kill any bugs living there. You always wanted to be a blonde didn't ya?

I haven't left the house since the 11th. No contact with ANYBODY. I'll scratch my nose, shave, and everything else I usually do concerning my face.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:11 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 58,055 Times in 13,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paravani View Post
My old cat, Boogie, is still struggling to kick the virus. Last night he had several coughing spells, and his nose sounds congested, too. He hurts somewhere as well... he has howled angrily, as if to chase the pain away!

Well, he was already pretty old, and I've been saying for several months that I'd usher him over the rainbow bridge if the day came that he was too miserable to purr...

That day is here. But not like this, not when he might still recover.

I'm continuing to give him CBD, but today I added a dose of the gabapentin his doctor prescribed for his arthritis weeks ago. He's sleeping quietly, which is the best thing for him.

So far no blood spots, no diarrhea, no loss of bladder control or any other truly distressing symptoms.

But he's definitely sicker than I have been.
Sorry about your cat. 18 years is a long time. I thought I was losing one of mine a year ago. Wouldn't eat, getting thinner and thinner, chronic diarrhea, poor coat. He's still with me and a faithful companion. Three different vets couldn't figure out what's wrong with him. He'll hang in there until he doesn't.

Pets are an important part of any family especially in these times.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
You could go dunk your head in a bucket of Clorox. That will fix the itch and kill any bugs living there. You always wanted to be a blonde didn't ya?

I haven't left the house since the 11th. No contact with ANYBODY. I'll scratch my nose, shave, and everything else I usually do concerning my face.
I don't mind the blond hair, because I was born blond with a slight tinge of red. It is the green I always hated, and the only way I ever got rid of it was staying out in the sun until it bleached my hair white as snow. when I would go swimming in a heavily chlorinated pool, it would turn my hair green.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:28 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,154 Times in 3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freja View Post
I just read this on “buzzfeed” but I confirmed it with my daughter who belongs to this Union.

A union representing health care workers has found a supplier to provide 39 million masks for desperately under-resourced hospitals in New York and California as medical staff struggle to treat the influx of people who have COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.
The Service Employees International Union's United Healthcare Workers West started looking for vendors who could supply masks and other protective equipment five days ago, after "pleas from frontline health care workers that they need more protection and feel unsafe on the job," they said in a statement on Thursday. Union staff tracked down the supplier with 39 million masks available, along with another who they say can make 20 million masks per week. The union also found another who can deliver millions of face shields

So, I’m wondering what magical powers the Union has that the hospitals do not?
Don't question it, just accept the batch of masks with the use by date crossed out, which was "destroyed" some years ago

A bit more serious: i know teachers at my old technical school have been making facemasks out of leftover material and donating that to local hospitals. The paint division of Volvo in our town has given a lot of their filtered masks to hospitals too. Could be a lot of initiatives like that, and some unions leaning on their company to switch over production to things which will help caregivers. A hospital has a lot less influence than a union can have in acquiring certain things or locating them. Think boxes stacked in a warehouse which were bought sometime but never used due to "reasons".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:33 PM

Authorities shut down an auction warehouse that was hoarding some huge number of masks to sell at steep markup prices.

Oh, here it is. 750,000 masks in auction warehouse in Houston. Authorities stopped their being sold because of price gouging. Now they just sit unused.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...8-f42cdb6b7cd1

If Houston hospitals are desperate for masks, I would suggest they call a sheriff to see if they can take/secure those masks and compensate the auction house at a fair price.

750,000 new masks sitting in a warehouse right by Hobby Airport, South Houston.

Auctions Unlimited
8777 Tallyho rd. #3
S Houston., TX
832-804-9455
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post: