HOW MANY folks here ride or have motorcycle history? - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-11-2020, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 14,081 Times in 4,577 Posts

Advertise Here

Intermittent rider from ‘71. ‘65 Honda 305 “Dream Bike”, 175 Kawasaki, Honda 350, kid break, Yamaha Zuma, 2003 Yamaha 1600 Midnight Star (current ride).

If I needed to get out of Dodge, I’d take the 49cc Zuma. If I wanted to take my wife, gonna have to be the Star.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cabinet Maker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 12:32 AM
Golfer

Thanked 3,047 Times in 1,666 Posts

Bridgestone 350. Was a 2 cycle though.
My buddy had a BSA and I was riding double on it when he and a Chevelle SS decided to race from the light. I was astonished to be beating that car until around 60 or 70 when it took us over.
The Following User Says Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,410 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
I rode a Kaw 400 for a year.

For 10 or 12 years my primary vehicle was a Kaw 1000. I made five coast-to-coast runs on that bike.

Then 10 years later, I had a GoldWing for 5 years. [but just as a recreational vehicle].
SO.. how many speeding tickets did you get?

One of the cops I worked with was a Kaw nut. He had 3 at one time...All of them faster than light. 2 had Zs in the name
He finally decided not fast enough and tweaked the motor to hyper drive.
He rode waaayyyy toooo fast for me when we were on the city streets.
He named the bike DEATH WISH... I thought it was appropriate.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 12:51 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,564 Times in 14,435 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
SO.. how many speeding tickets did you get?

One of the cops I worked with was a Kaw nut. He had 3 at one time...All of them faster than light. 2 had Zs in the name
He finally decided not fast enough and tweaked the motor to hyper drive.
He rode waaayyyy toooo fast for me when we were on the city streets.
He named the bike DEATH WISH... I thought it was appropriate.
I never took that bike over 160mph.

What bugged me was the speedometer's mid-way point was 90mph. Most driving was restricted to the first quarter of the gauge.

It had way too much power and speed for most people.

I totally understand the bike's reputation for being a death machine.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,974 Times in 10,147 Posts

I was at my girlfriends house when her BIL rode up on his brand new 750 H3 Triple. It must have been 1976 before we were engaged. Anyway, there were several of us hanging out and drinking beer and one of the guys asked if he could take it for a ride.

BIL said sure and he rode off. I asked if I could ride it when Bobby came back and he said yes. Half hour later Bobby came riding back into the yard. He had laid it down after bliping the throttle while turning left when the light turned green.

Needles to say, I never got to ride it. I don't know how much it cost to fix it but the one pipe was in bad shape and so was the clutch lever and handlebar.

BTW, I have been married to that girl for 43 years, she was 17 at the time, I was 21.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 06:43 PM
Vigilant Curmudgeon

I rode a little when I had some free or idle time.
I owned & operated a Biker Saloon in Pittsburgh for 13 years.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:37 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpacker View Post
I rode a little when I had some free or idle time.
I owned & operated a Biker Saloon in Pittsburgh for 13 years.
THAT much have been "interesting."

Any serious clubs or just the usual HD rider clientele?
Since they get kinda territorial it must have scared the straights.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,728 Times in 5,949 Posts

1956 When I was 5 or 6 years old dad put me on the gas tank of his harley, I burned my leg on the exhaust pipe getting off after the ride.
We had scooters and motorcycles all the time .
My current bikes are a Yamaha 650 V Star, 1975-650 Yamaha and a little honda 100.
Other responsibilities do not allow me to ride often as I"d like but such is life.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:56 PM
Vigilant Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
THAT much have been "interesting."

Any serious clubs or just the usual HD rider clientele?
Since they get kinda territorial it must have scared the straights.
Many stories , and my skin got mighty thick, right quick.
The only time I shot my .41 magnum was to protect 3 Harleys from getting backed over by an irate ex-patron driving in reverse to get revenge.
Some Pagans were regular customers. Many of those guys actually had real, legal type jobs.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:25 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
I never took that bike over 160mph.

What bugged me was the speedometer's mid-way point was 90mph. Most driving was restricted to the first quarter of the gauge.

It had way too much power and speed for most people.

I totally understand the bike's reputation for being a death machine.
I RODE Beemers so scary top end was always a given, until I got the GS. When I rode my K bike out West I would get out on the lonely back roads where you could literally go 50 miles without seeing another vehicle. I used to set the cruise between 120 -140 depending on road conditions and let her run. Had that one over 170 and still had more but I was running out of road. Things happen quickly at those speeds.
BUT
it was a quick way to get around.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:11 PM
Prepared

74 z1 900 turbo charged built it in 78 still ride it today.under pressure is its name.
The Following User Says Thank You to curt mini14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 07:47 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt mini14 View Post
74 z1 900 turbo charged built it in 78 still ride it today.under pressure is its name.
I TAKE it you have a heat shield and chute for when you do re-entry???
Old 02-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
yep, cruisers and enduros for my son and I.
My wife is learning on a rebel 250
My wife also has a Rebel 250. She's too damn big for it but, for some reason it has a place in my garage when all my scooters are parked outside or under an overhang.
I've got a 68 Honda Trail 90, 69 Honda Trail 90, 78 Gold Wing 1000, 82 Gold Wing 1100 Aspencade, 95 Gold Wing 1500, then a parts Wing that I think is an 80 or 81. It's got the RARE 1 piece fake tank instead of the 3 piece fake thanks the rest of them have.

I'm thinking about converting the 78 Gold Wing into more of an on/off road scooter. Naked GoldWings is a website with a galary of thousands of GoldWings, LOT of them customs..

Got my eye on this Schoolie on Craigslist up here in the Pacific, North Wet. I can put two Goldwings on the deck on back and still toy my Jeep behind it all.

Interior looks awesome, someone took a LOT of time on this monster.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...074835529.html

Might have to play with that link to make it work..

Included a teaser picture to show what's been done.. Has the Ford 7.2 Diesel under the hood. Man, sweet living in or bugging out vehicle, gotta say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schoolie.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	297930  
Old 04-09-2020, 09:05 PM

I just learned to ride last year. The idea was to help with my financial preps as I was previously commuting about 90 minutes a day in my truck that gets 17 mpg. Took the MSF class at my local H-D dealership and was hooked. Bought one of the old MSF school bikes, a H-D Street 500 with 900 miles on it. Now i'm looking for a more serious daily rider and at other 2 wheeled options for on/off road adventures.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:52 AM

I rode a Kawasaki 440LTD as my sole transportation for 4 years while I was in college (early '90s). Insurance was dirt cheap, the gas was cheap, and it was a lot of fun. I went to school in central Michigan, so I'd ride from Feb/March until Nov/Dec...as long as the roads weren't iced up. I appreciated how nimble the bike was, and being able to squeeze through small areas. I even rode it through a small guard shack at my summer job when a power outage wouldn't allow the big gates (within which the motorcycles parked) to open at the end of the day.

I haven't forgotten how to ride (and still enjoy it), but distracted drivers and a sense of my own mortality would discourage me from ever owning one again...at least for road use. Off-road would be a different story all-together, although it's not a priority for me.

I think a bike could be particularly helpful as a prep, should one be able to carry some basics with them. I have a non-powered fat-tire cargo mountain bike (bicycle) for such back-up BOV needs. It's much slower, and requires cardio, but hey...it's quieter, and already EMP-proof.

Craig
Old 04-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,962 Times in 9,293 Posts

I'm a former street motorcycle owner/rider.

I can see there being big pros and cons.

I would probably opt for a quad runner. You lose in outright speed, and extreme mobility, but you gain in greater level of safety, utility, stability. And you don't lose much mobility in reality. Not many places you'd want to go that a dirtbike can go that a quad cannot go.

Streetbikes might be useful, but you're extremely vulnerable and easy to "take down" and any crash at any significant speeds will cause serious to life threatening injuries, amputations, or death. In my time owning a street bike, I personally had several close calls with accidents.

I have a old friend who is a motorcycle amputee (lost his leg), an ex-girlfriend's dad was a motorcycle amputee, we had guys in my Army unit die on motorcycles, and in my larger acquaintance group there are routine bike deaths. In the Army during the height of war, we were still losing more Soldiers to motorcycles back home than to combat... They actually used that as marketing to get compliance with taking training and wearing PPE.

I think the tradeoff or having it would have to be for a very specific need or purpose or plan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 10:16 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,432 Times in 10,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I'm a former street motorcycle owner/rider.

I can see there being big pros and cons.

I would probably opt for a quad runner. You lose in outright speed, and extreme mobility, but you gain in greater level of safety, utility, stability. And you don't lose much mobility in reality. Not many places you'd want to go that a dirtbike can go that a quad cannot go.

Streetbikes might be useful, but you're extremely vulnerable and easy to "take down" and any crash at any significant speeds will cause serious to life threatening injuries, amputations, or death. In my time owning a street bike, I personally had several close calls with accidents.

I have a old friend who is a motorcycle amputee (lost his leg), an ex-girlfriend's dad was a motorcycle amputee, we had guys in my Army unit die on motorcycles, and in my larger acquaintance group there are routine bike deaths. In the Army during the height of war, we were still losing more Soldiers to motorcycles back home than to combat... They actually used that as marketing to get compliance with taking training and wearing PPE.

I think the tradeoff or having it would have to be for a very specific need or purpose or plan.
4 wheel off road vehicles come in two flavors,
The narrow ATV, which has handle bars, and the passenger sit behind you (lke a motorcycle),
and the wider Side by Side, which has a steering wheel, and the passenger sits beside the driver (like an open Jeep).

You are absolutely correct about the utility of the ATV. While they dont match a true off road bike for narrow trails, the do very well in mud, water, rough pasture, and most forest areas. But the big advantage is they can carry 1,000 lbs of rider and gear, plus tow a small trailer with another 2,000 lbs.

In My Opinion, the best BOV is a Honda Rancher.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,325 Times in 2,693 Posts

No one has been riding in Michigan. Our mentally challenged governor set some rules or laws down for Michigan that shows she is totally out of her field as a Politician. And Biden is looking at her for his VP. LOL. She has a stay at home order and can't even go to your cottage to stay. You can't go fishing as 2 guys were in a 24 ft boat one on each end and stopped and asked for ID. They both had ID that said they lived in different houses and that was not allowed. He did not give them a ticket. just a warning. She required that all food sections be closed off from rest of store. That means you can't get food seeds for your garden from the garden area. She is on a power trip trying to look good for the VP job. Can you imagine having someone like her as a VP for the USA?
Old 04-11-2020, 09:02 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 15,604 Times in 4,808 Posts

08 Cross Bones

Not for bugging out but I did once accidentally prove that those fat tires provide flotation in soft sand. It kept me from going down until I managed to ride far enough to find a low spot that allowed me to get bike back on pavement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 06:06 PM
Born 120 years too late.

THE REAL ultimate A(as in ALL) TV