Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 150 10-16-2018 08:56 PM

Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,063 Posts
Default Added some additional lighting to Nissan Frontier

Advertise Here

Installed KC Hilites C3 LED Spot lights on Rago Fabrication Ditch Light Mounts. I have them aimed forward as MO has rules about harassing wildlife with side mounted spot lights. These will be nice to have on my mile long private road.

https://www.ragofabrication.com/coll...tainless-steel

Installed the switch on the center column

Mount

Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,410 Times in 2,392 Posts

VERY NICE..

Looks clean and not obtrusive and I take it the lights don't interfere with the hood operation.

You can NEVER have enough light in front as you motor the night rural world filled with deer and bear and other assorted road hazards.

I am not so subtle.
2- Quadratec 26" light bars mounted on the ARB "deer mangler" defensive system.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 15,604 Times in 4,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
VERY NICE..

Looks clean and not obtrusive and I take it the lights don't interfere with the hood operation.

You can NEVER have enough light in front as you motor the night rural world filled with deer and bear and other assorted road hazards.

I am not so subtle.
2- Quadratec 26" light bars mounted on the ARB "deer mangler" defensive system.

Unless something has changed from when I was looking for a bumper back in 2007, those ARB bumpers are simply made of heavy gauge folded sheetmetal. I wouldn't count on it protecting the front end from damage when you hit a deer.

According to the ARB rep I spoke with their bumpers are designed to crush when hit.

That's why I instead went with a Buckstop bumper made from 3/16th and 1/4" plate steel. Mine took a side impact from a Lexus SUV that ran a stop sign and was only slightly tweaked. The Lexus was totaled on the spot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 10,035 Times in 2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Unless something has changed from when I was looking for a bumper back in 2007, those ARB bumpers are simply made of heavy gauge folded sheetmetal. I wouldn't count on it protecting the front end from damage when you hit a deer.

According to the ARB rep I spoke with their bumpers are designed to crush when hit.

That's why I instead went with a Buckstop bumper made from 3/16th and 1/4" plate steel. Mine took a side impact from a Lexus SUV that ran a stop sign and was only slightly tweaked. The Lexus was totaled on the spot.
I think ARB makes them that way to ensure they are "airbag compatible".

Considering where they are made, they are designed to take a hit from a Kangaroo (which might weigh up to about 180 lbs), but has a bit lower centre of mass than a deer.

A lot of current vehicles can be fitted with a very strong bar but just transfer any collision damage to the chassis (at and near the bar mounts), which can be quite expensive and difficult to repair.

If the chassis deforms enough, the back of your bar will damage your panels etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
I think ARB makes them that way to ensure they are "airbag compatible".

Considering where they are made, they are designed to take a hit from a Kangaroo (which might weigh up to about 180 lbs), but has a bit lower centre of mass than a deer.

A lot of current vehicles can be fitted with a very strong bar but just transfer any collision damage to the chassis (at and near the bar mounts), which can be quite expensive and difficult to repair.

If the chassis deforms enough the back of your bar will damage your panels etc.
Actually I wouldn't guarantee the ARBs were designed to take a hit from anything. I specifically asked ARB about things like using bumper to pivot vehicle off a rock when 4wheeling and they said no.

They were pretty emphatic that doing such would collapse the bumper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Born 120 years too late.

INTERESTING...
I have things like that put on by a local body shop.
They said that ARB is the heaviest and best engineered bumper they have installed. And, they do a lot of that type thing up here. They seem to think it is pretty substantial.

IT was heavy enough they had to use an engine lift to get it into place whereas the 4 folks who work there can usually muscle anything into place.

8 years ago I was in northern Quebec and hit 5 caribou running down the road in the dark and they impacted my Westin I had on a different truck and it bent a little but the truck itself sustained ZERO damage and this is heavier than the Westin was.

Could have changed it since 2007 also.

There is nothing flimsy about this thing.

If I ping a deer, I take pics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 11:31 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
INTERESTING...
I have things like that put on by a local body shop.
They said that ARB is the heaviest and best engineered bumper they have installed. And, they do a lot of that type thing up here. They seem to think it is pretty substantial.

IT was heavy enough they had to use an engine lift to get it into place whereas the 4 folks who work there can usually muscle anything into place.

8 years ago I was in northern Quebec and hit 5 caribou running down the road in the dark and they impacted my Westin I had on a different truck and it bent a little but the truck itself sustained ZERO damage and this is heavier than the Westin was.

Could have changed it since 2007 also.

There is nothing flimsy about this thing.

If I ping a deer, I take pics.
When you had the ARB or Westin installed did the shop have to do anything with your front suspension?

With my Buckstop bumper and winch I had to increase the spring rate on my front coils. I went with F550 front coils that normally would raise the front of an otherwise stock F350 3". With the new bumper setup it only sat 0.5" higher then stock.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
When you had the ARB or Westin installed did the shop have to do anything with your front suspension?

With my Buckstop bumper and winch I had to increase the spring rate on my front coils. I went with F550 front coils that normally would raise the front of an otherwise stock F350 3". With the new bumper setup it only sat 0.5" higher then stock.
I AM not a wrencher type of guy.

I just drive them and if something breaks I take them to people who know a lot more about them than I do. Then I just pay the bill.

The truck is a 1500 Silverado. WHen they mounted the ARB they did something with the shocks and springs to level the whole thing out.

When I had the Westin it was mounted on a 2500 Chevy running the 8.1 and Allison transmission. They didn't have to do anything to it.

On my '94 Chevy big block 3500 Dually I have a front bumper bar that was taken off of a 1951 Ford Dump truck. IT is UNIQUE and also needed nothing for extra lift.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,063 Posts

Added a spacer lift and 4 new Bilstein shocks to my 2006 Frontier.

https://www.prgproducts.com/product-...-mini-lift-kit

Bought the spacer lift a few years ago and never installed it. The ride on my Frontier has been rough feeling lately on my rocky private road. Felt like the 14 year factory old shocks were dead.

Just got the truck back today and find it rides better. I like the height. Feels taller on the road. Looks good too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NF Front.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	296264

Name:	NF Angle.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	296266

Name:	NF Side.jpg