Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckklr98 View Post
Harley shut down production of theirs problems with charging on 120ac
Harley restarted production last month after determining only a single bike was effected. I'd still be wary of them until the model has been in use for a year or two.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Just a Dumb Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
At $200 this (kits to convert standard bicycles to electric) is the ideal vehicle to get through the big city gridlock. Like a bicycle, while all the cars are stopped dead on the highways you can slip in between them on your way to the BOL.
Then some A-Hole see's you in his rear view mirror and opens his door in a timely fashion
Old 11-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 58,017 Times in 13,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
NOT ELECTRIC..
But Rokon has been around a long time and they are even listing a PREPPER BIKE..

https://www.rokon.com/bikes/rokon-pr...rvivor-edition

Yeah, the Rokon has been around forever. But.

Two wheels isn't ideal for hauling your survival stuff. All that crap makes a motorcycle, Rokon, bicycle HEAVY and very unwieldy. Like the difference between riding solo and with a passenger. Try packing out a deer on a Rokon.

If you want to haul stuff just get an ATV. A big plus is it won't tip over while parked. 4 wheel drive, power steering, winch option, many storage and rack options, tons of power (700 cc)

===

An ATV IMHO would be more suitable to electrify than a motorcycle because of more options for battery placement. It's always going to be the battery, just like it will be the availability of gasoline.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 58,017 Times in 13,154 Posts
Talking

Quiet, doesn't need gas, oil, electricity or solar panels. Long useful life. Reproduces itself, can carry one person, two people, a person and a deer, pull a wagon or a plow.

It can fuel up for free almost anywhere. Been in use for thousands of years.

The government will pay $1000 if you will adopt one.

https://qz.com/1574502/the-us-govern...-a-wild-horse/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
Yeah, the Rokon has been around forever. But.

Two wheels isn't ideal for hauling your survival stuff. All that crap makes a motorcycle, Rokon, bicycle HEAVY and very unwieldy. Like the difference between riding solo and with a passenger. Try packing out a deer on a Rokon.

If you want to haul stuff just get an ATV. A big plus is it won't tip over while parked. 4 wheel drive, power steering, winch option, many storage and rack options, tons of power (700 cc)

===

An ATV IMHO would be more suitable to electrify than a motorcycle because of more options for battery placement. It's always going to be the battery, just like it will be the availability of gasoline.
I would agree with that. An ATV would especially be easier if you were injured. You can also more easily tow a trailer if you are driving 4 wheels than you can if you have 2...though you can do it with either option.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Exclamation

Gasoline is going out of style fast. Heavyduty electric cycletrucks are the best transportation for local use, I have not seen any other ducumentatiion of such a vehicle for steep terrain. Most people have no idea how to build an ebike that can handle the mountains. I maybe the only person to document the building and use of such a cycletruck. I hope that I am alowed to put links here, it would be very difficult to put enough information on this forum. [Or search for “MtGoat Cycle truck build” on Endless-Sphere https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...hp?f=1&t=97335 .]

I intend to stock up on parts that wearout, but elctric motors last many many times longer than gasoline engines.

Electric Bikes Are The Transportation Of Choice For The Coming Apocalypse
https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/0...ng-apocalypse/
Old 12-07-2019, 09:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,115 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Now.... regarding a bike for a Prepper???? Never electric is my decision. Grid goes down and it is a yard ornament immediately. Gasoline motorcycles will be able to run for months, maybe years.

I suppose some could successfully argue that an E-bike can be charged with a solar panel.... and I suppose they are right.
Even if I had parts available, I probably could not figure out how to distill ethanol out of grain or potatoes. There is no oilfields around to even consider refining my own gasoline out of that.

If I had access to parts, it's more probable I could build a solar system to charge battery bank that would then charge an electric vehicle. Having one full charge would probably take several days.

While the grid is still working, electric bikes are a rather silent way to scout around your residence. I wouldn't take one as my _only_ method of transport but such can be one of many.
You could charge an ebike fairly easily with solar. They are not nearly as big a power hogs as the cars or even the motorcycles.

A recumbent ebike or trike would get even better mileage since it has less wind resistance to overcome.

Also the good thing about an electric bicycle is that it doesn’t make a lot of sound.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 70,498 Times in 21,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnn View Post
Gasoline is going out of style fast. Heavyduty electric cycletrucks are the best transportation for local use, I have not seen any other ducumentatiion of such a vehicle for steep terrain. Most people have no idea how to build an ebike that can handle the mountains. I maybe the only person to document the building and use of such a cycletruck. I hope that I am alowed to put links here, it would be very difficult to put enough information on this forum. [Or search for “MtGoat Cycle truck build” on Endless-Sphere https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...hp?f=1&t=97335 .]

I intend to stock up on parts that wearout, but elctric motors last many many times longer than gasoline engines.

Electric Bikes Are The Transportation Of Choice For The Coming Apocalypse
https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/0...ng-apocalypse/
Did I miss where you cited a range and how long it would take to charge on an amount of solar you could carry with you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:38 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Did I miss where you cited a range and how long it would take to charge on an amount of solar you could carry with you?
Solar power is a viable solution to generating electricity. The big problem with using solar power to charge batteries used for transportation is that people usually want to drive around during the day, when the sun is shining. It is not very practical to carry solar panels around with you even on a quadrunner type vehicle, especially when you are using it for working purposes and hauling around other stuff. What you would have to do is buy a spare set of batteries and set up a solar station to charge the batteries on Monday, while you drive around. Tuesday morning, swap the batteries and charge the batteries you used on Monday. Solar panels have come a long way but there is still now way you will be able to mount panels on top of the quadrunner and expect to be able to be powered by the sun/charge the batteries adequately while you drive around. There are some experimental vehicles that can do this but they weigh about 80 pounds, including the solar panels. IIRC (i'm reaching to the back of my memory) the solar panels formed the roof of the car, were about 2x the footprint of the car. The car could only do a few miles an hour....You could mount panels ontop of the 4x4 and have them add a little electricity but not to completely charge the battery while you are driving it...but take a look at the link - some people are trying to do it! Its a good read. https://futurism.com/fully-solar-pow...ting-road-2019