Cooking in a power outage - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 09-14-2020, 03:22 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 87,141 Times in 24,960 Posts

Advertise Here

If you really want a lot of BTUs on a burner for some reason like running a canner, the Korean Alpaca kerosene burner would be worth a look.

https://www.amazon.com/Cans-Unlimite...a-940394038727

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 157,619 Times in 45,623 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
If you really want a lot of BTUs on a burner for some reason like running a canner, the Korean Alpaca kerosene burner would be worth a look.

https://www.amazon.com/Cans-Unlimite...a-940394038727

The Alpaca is only 8,500 BTU. Or at least mine is. I'm sure they probably have more powerful models now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 04:13 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The Alpaca is only 8,500 BTU. Or at least mine is. I'm sure they probably have more powerful models now.
I guess I was remembering an experiment I did with it. I was going to use it as a cabin heater on my boat. I installed a chimney up through the deck, and put a damper valve and a couple reducers to make a close connection with the Alpaca. Then I used 100% mineral oil which I was using at the time in kerosene lanterns rather successfully.

Well, the combination of the much more volatile fuel, and the massive induced draft from the chimney I built, resulted in a heat output approximating a space shuttle launch. I tried throttling it back with the flapper draft valve and the CO alarm I had installed immediately told me what I was doing was unwise.

I scrapped the idea as being slightly less dangerous than just filling the boat with gasoline and lighting it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 05:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,283 Times in 3,277 Posts

Use a rocket stove, there are many types. They cost a whopper meal to construct. They require a little practice to efficiently use. Thier fuel is limitless, free and evailable most places.

I have used them to brew beer, make pots of stew, make red beans and rice, heat water for beverages, washing, cooking, etc.

You can move it anywhere in minutes, re-assemble it in minutes, replace it easily with scrap materials.

Rocket stoves are utterly EMP proof, poverty proof, weatherproof.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 01:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 50,402 Times in 14,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
Use a rocket stove, there are many types. They cost a whopper meal to construct. They require a little practice to efficiently use. Thier fuel is limitless, free and evailable most places.

I have used them to brew beer, make pots of stew, make red beans and rice, heat water for beverages, washing, cooking, etc.

You can move it anywhere in minutes, re-assemble it in minutes, replace it easily with scrap materials.

Rocket stoves are utterly EMP proof, poverty proof, weatherproof.
there is a downside people overlook

the degree to which it affects you depends on location

a rocket stove will need to be used outside if you don't have a chimney. people are going to see, and smell, you cooking your food. they are good to have for a lot of reasons but a person with close neighbors might as well ring the dinner bell
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 8,202 Times in 2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
For low cost and simple 1 butane burner, the Chinese stoves are tough to beat.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...472BR1800.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GasOne-Buta...UAAOSww-BaZMpp

The butane tanks are smaller, so you will need to change cannisters more often.

Or just get a 2 burner burner/grill combo from Coleman. Then an adapter for a 20lb tank would give you enough fuel to cook for months.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/col...00005323922757

or

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/col...00005323922757

Read the instructions carefully if you are using for the first time especially.
The butane single burner can overheat the tank if you use too large a pan on it, because of heat diversion toward the side.

Usually you can get them that are self lighting, which makes it more convenient.

The butane stoves also give a super controllable flame.

They sell a little tin box with a thermometer if you need to bake with it.
Or I suppose you can use a dutch oven with the burner on low.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lod...tSku=106312416
I have a couple of each & they're used when needed, also have smokers I can put into use if I want to do so

Titles should match the subject being posted.

Post in the proper forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 02:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,045 Times in 2,718 Posts

I thought about getting one of those grills but thought clean up would be a pain. I do have a grill pan.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,224 Times in 8,630 Posts

You are technically not supposed to use them inside. But I do during cyclones. I have one of those suitcase ones with two burners and a smaller bottle.

Throw a BBQ lighter and a shifter in with that.

I don't like the burners with the spray can fuel things. I just think it is more messing around than the extra cash of a good stove gets you.

I also have an aluminium plate that goes across both burners. So it turns in to a grill.

Does a very decent pancakes that way with some honey and canned fruit.

Which is my cyclone treat.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,816 Times in 1,735 Posts

My first back up was a coleman white gas 2 burner stove. It is rusted and stinks when first lit and doesn't have a large gap between the two burners but it is my go to because I always have gasoline or white gas on hand and it can be folded up and taken with very easily.

I also have the same style but propane and I am forever out of the small propane tanks is uses and rarely have a spare on hand so I am not such a fan of it.

If I am at home I have a two burner propane stove out of a camper connected to a 100 pound tank. This is the best, if I don't need to be mobile but it is also the most expensive by the time you buy the tank, regulator hoses and stove.

I also like the fact that if you ever go to a garage sale, auction, or fleamarket there is a good chance you will find a coleman liquid fuel 2 burner for around $10 so with a bit of shopping it is by far the cheapest option so you can have back ups for your back ups.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 8,202 Times in 2,345 Posts

Quote:
That's actually the next butane stove I'm eyeing. I have a couple different ones that have come from two different Asian markets.

I love the butane stoves and often use one at the table for making Korean food or hotpot. But I still have a strong preference for a propane stove that can use an adapter to run off a 20lb tank. The fuel is longer lasting, easier to get, cheaper and works better in lower temperatures.

I can see a butane stove for short term disruptions like hurricanes though, since it's so much easier to just grab and use anywhere. And it's small and compact.
They also shine for making coffee camp style! So simple & fast as long as it's not really cold at least. I use ours often for power outage, my wife is not great to be around without coffee IOW

Titles should match the subject being posted.

Post in the proper forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 03:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,953 Times in 11,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
My first back up was a coleman white gas 2 burner stove. It is rusted and stinks when first lit and doesn't have a large gap between the two burners but it is my go to because I always have gasoline or white gas on hand and it can be folded up and taken with very easily.

I also have the same style but propane and I am forever out of the small propane tanks is uses and rarely have a spare on hand so I am not such a fan of it.

If I am at home I have a two burner propane stove out of a camper connected to a 100 pound tank. This is the best, if I don't need to be mobile but it is also the most expensive by the time you buy the tank, regulator hoses and stove.

I also like the fact that if you ever go to a garage sale, auction, or fleamarket there is a good chance you will find a coleman liquid fuel 2 burner for around $10 so with a bit of shopping it is by far the cheapest option so you can have back ups for your back ups.
You can get an adapter to run your propane stove off a 20# tank instead of the 1# bottles which is much more economical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,816 Times in 1,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
You can get an adapter to run your propane stove off a 20# tank instead of the 1# bottles which is much more economical.
It does make it better if you don't intend to move it. What I like about them is they can be thrown in a vehicle and taken with. If you have a 20 pound tank it is that much more you have to bring with.

The liquid fuel one I use has lots of down falls but I think the fact that it is super portable and I always have gasoline available makes it easier for me to overlook those downsides.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 03:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,953 Times in 11,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
It does make it better if you don't intend to move it. What I like about them is they can be thrown in a vehicle and taken with. If you have a 20 pound tank it is that much more you have to bring with.

The liquid fuel one I use has lots of down falls but I think the fact that it is super portable and I always have gasoline available makes it easier for me to overlook those downsides.
That is why I carry a Coleman two burner dual fuel in my BOV at all times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 12:43 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
You are technically not supposed to use them inside. But I do during cyclones. I have one of those suitcase ones with two burners and a smaller bottle.

Throw a BBQ lighter and a shifter in with that.

I don't like the burners with the spray can fuel things. I just think it is more messing around than the extra cash of a good stove gets you.

I also have an aluminium plate that goes across both burners. So it turns in to a grill.

Does a very decent pancakes that way with some honey and canned fruit.

Which is my cyclone treat.
So yeah. This is what I have used for the last 5 years or so. I also need a coin for that weird cap on my gas bottle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200916_154103_1600234958882.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	310010   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200916_154124_1600235073559.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	310012  
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 01:53 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 157,619 Times in 45,623 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
So yeah. This is what I have used for the last 5 years or so. I also need a coin for that weird cap on my gas bottle.
That's a lot like the ones we have here in the states, except ours are generally set up for a screw in 1 pound bottle and require an adapter to use a bulk tank. I like that that one comes with a griddle sized to fit within the wind screens.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:03 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 64,823 Times in 22,015 Posts

Quote:
Seeing as the picture shows brand new gear, the statement you have been using it for the last 5 seems more like you've had it in your closet for the past 5 years. So now I expect will say you just happened to have a picture of some gear you bought many years ago and it was the only one you could find, instead of something more recent when you actually took it out camping to use. That a person can more easily find old unboxing pics faster than recent outdoor camping pics seems preposterous.

Armchair prepper.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:15 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Quote:
That's a lot like the ones we have here in the states, except ours are generally set up for a screw in 1 pound bottle and require an adapter to use a bulk tank. I like that that one comes with a griddle sized to fit within the wind screens.
The griddle was separate. But a good little investment.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 50,402 Times in 14,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Seeing as the picture shows brand new gear, the statement you have been using it for the last 5 seems more like you've had it in your closet for the past 5 years. So now I expect will say you just happened to have a picture of some gear you bought many years ago and it was the only one you could find, instead of something more recent when you actually took it out camping to use. That a person can more easily find old unboxing pics faster than recent outdoor camping pics seems preposterous.

Armchair prepper.
far be it from me to defend pottery, but i don't take picture of my gear while i'm out in the woods. actually, it's rare that i ever take pictures of my gear come to think of it, but if i do, it's usually right after buying it. that's just me
Old 09-16-2020, 09:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieSigGuy View Post
Iíve used a rocket stove with good success. Bought it off Etsy. Fuel is limitless.

http://etsy.me/1wwnIaN
A similar concept. I've used limited amount so far but works as advertised.

BioLite - CampStove 2

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/biolite...?skuId=5808001
Old 09-16-2020, 09:40 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
That looks like a smaller tank than the US typical 20 lb tank.
When I had my sailboat, I was looking all over for a small roughly 5 lb tank for the boat stove. the only ones I could find in the US were very overpriced. Like $150.