Anyone Else have Personal Experience with a Black Panther? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-15-2020, 09:45 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,707 Times in 455 Posts

Advertise Here

Golf course in Central Florida about 20 years ago. My son hit his drive down the left side of the fairway, just into the first cut. It was along a treeline. As we approached we saw something large and black move at the base of the tree. We stopped the cart about 40 yards away. it was a panther. It stood up, looked directly at us, took its claws and proceeded to shred the bark off the base of the tree. A real mess. Then it looked at us again, and slowly walked down the treeline, eventually back into the woods.

My son took a drop on the other side of the fairway.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tcpip95 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 09:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,729 Times in 6,961 Posts

I wasn't sure if this thread was about BLM type panthers or the actual animals, YMMV on which ones are which.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,946 Times in 10,751 Posts

Once I started asking around, and searching the web, I found a large number of people in Oklahoma and Texas owned Tigers, Lepords, and Jaguars as pets.
I also found many, many of these animals escaped.

It does not matter much to me if these animals have lived here the whole time, or if they escaped, and adapted to survive, and breed here.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:04 PM
junior counsel member

Black Panther = Mountain Lion = Cougar

Bobcat, not even close.

I have also read that there are no black panthers in the USA, but that is what I saw. I saw many bobcats growing up.

YMMV
The Following User Says Thank You to margaritaman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 02:59 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,707 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaritaman View Post
I have also read that there are no black panthers in the USA, but that is what I saw.
There are MOST DEFINITELY black /panthers/cougars/mountain lions/big-ass black cats/ in the USA.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,659 Times in 6,738 Posts

Saw one crossing a dirt road in noble county near the Pawnee county line
Old 09-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Dog Lives Matter

Thanked 24,159 Times in 5,141 Posts

We may be using the wrong terminology. From what several articles claim on the web, "panther" is a generic name for large cats, including cougars. But what I saw was not a cougar.

Jaguars may be what we've seen. According to this article, jaguars are found in the southwestern USA -- and there are melanistic jaguars. Scroll down to see images of black jaguars.

North American jaguar

Given the long snout and tail, the melanistic version of this cat is likely what I saw.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 12:52 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Cougars live all over the place in Texas. There is a documentary where this lady radio collars a bunch of them living in the city of Fort Worth. They are kinda like coyotes and are literally able to hide in urban areas VERY close to humans without detection, which is a little scary.
LEOPARDS do the same thing in the larger South African cities.
They have learned to do the coyote type thing in hide by day and rummage by night.

I have read of numerous accounts of leopards being seen in areas where you would think there would be way too many people..

All you have to remember is
CATS ARE SNEAKY
all cats , all the time.
Never trust them and never go anywhere in the wolds and think "No cats here", it is just what they want you to think, then they getcha....
Yes leopards are the most likely cats in Africa to kill humans too.

Heck I walked outside and there was a sneaky black house cat under my Jeep , napping. But I know if he could he’d kill me and eat me.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:57 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
Quote:
A “black panther “ is not a species of animal. It is a “panther “ with a genetic defect that makes it all black. Black Panther is a generic term used to describe any large melanated cat. They are not a separate species or breed.

Generally in North America these are melanated bobcats or lynx . Melanated mountain lions MAY exist. However nobody has managed to find a mode from one so far.

A jaguar can be melanated too but they are unlikely to be seen in Arkansas. Although at least one wild jaguar has been caught on camera in the USA.
What I saw was not a melanated bobcat, cougar/mountain lion, or lynx. I have seen several of each of those critters. What I saw was much larger than a lynx or bobcat, and did not have the shape of a cougar. It was large, long, and slender like a cheetah. It didn't run across the road. it bounded very gracefully. It could have been a melanated jaguar, but there haven't been any reported sightings of jaguars this far north in Arizona.

What I saw surprised me because I'd never seen anything like it before.

This article supports what you are saying about dark cats, but doesn't explain what I saw.

The Black Panther
No black cat has ever been proven to exist in the USA besides bobcats.

They have been rumored. It is suspected there are melanated cougars. Cougars are a LOT like leopards and I believe those come in black
Sometimes. In fact you can breed a cougar with Leopard.

It is also possible in AZ that you have seen a Jaguar. There has been at least one confirmed jaguar sighting in AZ. I thought you saw it in Arkansas.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:16 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaritaman View Post
Black Panther = Mountain Lion = Cougar

Bobcat, not even close.

I have also read that there are no black panthers in the USA, but that is what I saw. I saw many bobcats growing up.

YMMV

I also wonder if some sightings aren’t Ocelot that are Mistaken for bigger animals.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:34 AM
Dog Lives Matter

Quote:
No black cat has ever been proven to exist in the USA besides bobcats.

They have been rumored. It is suspected there are melanated cougars. Cougars are a LOT like leopards and I believe those come in black
Sometimes. In fact you can breed a cougar with Leopard.

It is also possible in AZ that you have seen a Jaguar. There has been at least one confirmed jaguar sighting in AZ. I thought you saw it in Arkansas.
The proof is sometimes what you see for yourself.

I did see a large black cat and it was not a cougar or a bobcat. They have distinct profiles. The longer snout and long tail rules out both of those cats. In my mind, I can still see the image of it bounding gracefully across the road.

At this point, my vote is on jaguar.

Twice on my hikes in the Superstition Mountains I've run across hikers coming from the other direction who warned us that there was a black panther sitting on a rock near the trail ahead of us. Given that a lot of people do not know how to correctly identify large cats, they could have been anything -- but the description was "black." They could have been the same cat as the one I saw. I live a few miles from the Superstitions on the edge of the open desert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,659 Times in 6,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmower View Post
I find it odd that so many people claim to have seen black panthers and big foots but unicorn sightings are extremely rare
Unicorns are native to north Korea not the new world
Old 09-16-2020, 02:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,147 Times in 4,127 Posts

My nearest neighbor, who is also from California, and moved to the Ozarks tells me he saw a large Black Cat / Panther sitting at the base of the hill, he lives on, off our shared private road.

I've been keeping an eye out but haven't seen a large cat yet.

Late last year, I finally saw the Bobcat that frequents our area. He was right in my backyard hunting birds at our bird feeders. See him frequently on my road now.

Was at a Semper Fi Fund Fundraiser auction and mentioned seeing the Bobcat to another neighbor. He's like did you shoot it? I'm like hell no. It's not everyday I see a Bobcat, I sure aint going to shoot the 1st one I see.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:23 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
My nearest neighbor, who is also from California, and moved to the Ozarks tells me he saw a large Black Cat / Panther sitting at the base of the hill, he lives on, off our shared private road.

I've been keeping an eye out but haven't seen a large cat yet.

Late last year, I finally saw the Bobcat that frequents our area. He was right in my backyard hunting birds at our bird feeders. See him frequently on my road now.

Was at a Semper Fi Fund Fundraiser auction and mentioned seeing the Bobcat to another neighbor. He's like did you shoot it? I'm like hell no. It's not everyday I see a Bobcat, I sure aint going to shoot the 1st one I see.
They are all over down here. You usually can spot their eyes in the dark with lights.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:06 PM

I'm live in South Alabama close to the Florida line. I've seen one of these myself as have many of my neighbors. The Conservation Department will tell you there is no such thing as a black panther. Supposedly they are actually Jaguars. Whatever they are they do in fact exist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southern3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 09:12 PM

Usually any animal found anywhere in the USA is easily recorded because everything gets hit and killed by cars when the animal crosses one of the 4 million miles of roads in the USA. Yet I have never heard of a large black cat found on any highway in the USA.

If there were large black cats in the USA I would think one of the 11 million hunters would shoot one to brag about. Yet no one ever has.
The Following User Says Thank You to hiwall1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 12:33 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall1 View Post
Usually any animal found anywhere in the USA is easily recorded because everything gets hit and killed by cars when the animal crosses one of the 4 million miles of roads in the USA. Yet I have never heard of a large black cat found on any highway in the USA.

If there were large black cats in the USA I would think one of the 11 million hunters would shoot one to brag about. Yet no one ever has.
How many white deer get hit by cars ?

Big Cats have MUCH Better survival skills. Predators are skittish.

Jaguars live in densities of .5 to 6.5 per 100 sq kilometers And that’s in the areas where they are known and studied. They may spread out more in the parts of the USA they are just getting back into.

White tail Deer density is often 1 per square mile. By comparison.

Jaguars get the melanated trait at a gig rate , 1 in 10. But animals that live in the rain forest are more likely to have to. So those coming form northern Mexico’ would be less likely. And you might be dealing with only a few hundred jaguars( or less ) in all of the USA. So you could have from 0 to A couple of dozen that where Melanated.

Jaguars aren’t like cougars. They tend to stay away from urban and suburban areas. And if one does get hit by a car somebody has to find it before it gets eaten. Also if it’s a small jaguar it maybe disregarded as a house cat or bobcat when the mangled remains are found.

I mean I can totally see black jaguars being in the USA. But not many.

I can also see the existence of black cougars being a thing. But nobody has been able to find one OR breed one , so they may not be.

There have been rumors of cougar and jaguar hybrids. And cougars have been bred with leopards.

So it’s possible that a small number of cougars could have gotten the melanated gene through some sort of encounters with jaguars. Although how that happened is beyond me.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:34 AM
Dog Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmower View Post
I find it odd that so many people claim to have seen black panthers and big foots but unicorn sightings are extremely rare
Everyone knows unicorns only live in liberal areas where mind-altering drugs are commonplace.

I saw a few unicorns in the 1960s when I lived in Chicago, but not since then.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Midwest Born

Thanked 1,004 Times in 447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Mountain lions are frequently captured on game cameras across most of the Midwestern States. They are attempting to track lion movements via DNA testing.
In Oklahoma, they do not have an open season, but the Regs and my local Warden agree I can protect myself and my stock.
we have had multiple sighting, including game cams, here in SE KS, just a bit north of you, and our terrain isn't nearly as friendly as E. Ok and NW Ark. they certainly could survive there, in fact it is probably very hospitable. gorgeous creatures when they aren't terrorizing your stock
Old 09-18-2020, 04:05 PM
Midwest Born

Thanked 1,004 Times in 447 Posts

Quote:
How many white deer get hit by cars ?

Big Cats have MUCH Better survival skills. Predators are skittish.

Jaguars live in densities of .5 to 6.5 per 100 sq kilometers And thatís in the areas where they are known and studied. They may spread out more in the parts of the USA they are just getting back into.

White tail Deer density is often 1 per square mile. By comparison.

Jaguars get the melanated trait at a gig rate , 1 in 10. But animals that live in the rain forest are more likely to have to. So those coming form northern Mexicoí would be less likely. And you might be dealing with only a few hundred jaguars( or less ) in all of the USA. So you could have from 0 to A couple of dozen that where Melanated.

Jaguars arenít like cougars. They tend to stay away from urban and suburban areas. And if one does get hit by a car somebody has to find it before it gets eaten. Also if itís a small jaguar it maybe disregarded as a house cat or bobcat when the mangled remains are found.

I mean I can totally see black jaguars being in the USA. But not many.

I can also see the existence of black cougars being a thing. But nobody has been able to find one OR breed one , so they may not be.

There have been rumors of cougar and jaguar hybrids. And cougars have been bred with leopards.

So itís possible that a small number of cougars could have gotten the melanated gene through some sort of encounters with jaguars. Although how that happened is beyond me.
don't forget there are those in private captivity that are often released as well. Heck, HIX is in the same state as the Tiger King!

sorry Hix, i had too. but really, private release is a real issue are there are more than you can imagine in the area that are KNOWN. who knows about unknown.

HIX isn't hysterical, if he says he saw a big black cat, he damn well saw a big black cat. we have lots of area down here that people just do not frequent very often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toyboy For This Useful Post: