Kerosene storage - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 09-14-2020, 03:41 PM
Prepared

Default Kerosene storage

Advertise Here

I bought a few 2.5 gallon containers of this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...KP85/203000700

Left 2 of them in car for about 12 hours in garage and when I opened car door there was a slight kerosene stink? Containers are closed/sealed and not leaking. Just coming through the plastic?

Question is will these be ok to store in basement or maybe under deck? Will have to look up freezing point of kerosene
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2020, 03:53 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 31,250 Times in 10,761 Posts

Most likely a seal leak in the cap. I would store them out side if I could. 40 below.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 04:40 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 157,619 Times in 45,623 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Those plastic containers never seal well if there's the slightest pressure. I have had mineral spirits vaporize out of the container in my hot workroom. Same type of packaging. I buy it in metal cans now, when I can find it.

You might check to see if it's available at the pump anywhere near you. It's a LOT cheaper that way and a metal gas can is a good storage method. There hasn't been kerosene at the pumps here in decades, so I have to buy it from the distributor and wow, is it ever expensive.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 05:58 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Those plastic containers never seal well if there's the slightest pressure. I have had mineral spirits vaporize out of the container in my hot workroom. Same type of packaging. I buy it in metal cans now, when I can find it.

You might check to see if it's available at the pump anywhere near you. It's a LOT cheaper that way and a metal gas can is a good storage method. There hasn't been kerosene at the pumps here in decades, so I have to buy it from the distributor and wow, is it ever expensive.
I have not seen kerosene at pumps anywhere in years and years. Last time was somewhere in WI years ago. Im in IL.

I paid 22.47 for a 2.5 gallon. And like 8.88 for a gallon at wally world.

20 gallons so far. 80 should get me 80 days of heat
The Following User Says Thank You to Westcoastforme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 47,852 Times in 10,968 Posts

Store in a cool, dry place!

Someplace where the temperature stays as constant as possible. Petroleum products expand and contract with temperature changes

Unless its sealed tight, when it expands it pushes fumes out then when it cools, it sucks in moisture......which goes to the bottom of the container

Basement is a good place and don't worry about it freezing, if it does, you won't live long enough to use it

Keep a fire extinguisher handy if you store in your basement
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 08:07 PM
Target Shooter

Try the metal cans instead. The smaller one has a plastic lid but it may seal better than a plastic can. Metal lids were available and would be better.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...kerosene-5-gal
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunnyside...01G1/166931255

Or buy the metal NATO-spec German style fuel cans (not the cheap ones) and store it in them. They seal really well.

If using in a kerosene heater buy an offset funnel for filling the tank. Find one that sits in place without needing to hold it. Much easier.
Or use a small pump or siphon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 08:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,786 Times in 2,254 Posts

I have a friend who had a few of those jugs of kero. After not paying attention to them over a couple year span he was surprised to see that the level had gone down in them a bit. He said there were no stains that indicated they'd leaked. Kero would indeed leave an oily stain. So, we guessed it was evaporation somehow through the plastic.
I get kerosene at the pump locally and store it either in 5gal cans made for it or in 30gal drums made of the same material.
Keep has a very strong and lingering smell if even a little gets on something. The good news is that its smell is not flammable or explosive like gasoline is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 08:29 PM
Survivor

I meant to add that I have never had any leaks or evaporation from kerosene that I've had in storage. My oldest is four, maybe five years old. Treated with Pri-D, it burned fine in a heater that i lit once last winter and has every time I've used it over the years

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 07:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,706 Times in 4,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastforme View Post
I have not seen kerosene at pumps anywhere in years and years. Last time was somewhere in WI years ago. Im in IL.

I paid 22.47 for a 2.5 gallon. And like 8.88 for a gallon at wally world.

20 gallons so far. 80 should get me 80 days of heat

in IL and around the Upper Midwest - you won't see "Kerosene" on the pumps at the gas stations - it's "K1" >>> the major brand stations won't usually have a kerosene pump - it's the independant stations that will have one off to the side away from the gas pump aisles ....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
in IL and around the Upper Midwest - you won't see "Kerosene" on the pumps at the gas stations - it's "K1" >>> the major brand stations won't usually have a kerosene pump - it's the independant stations that will have one off to the side away from the gas pump aisles ....
Thats odd. It gets cold there. You'd think that more people would be using it for heat.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,270 Posts

Quote:
Every town I know of in Michigan has at least 1 K1 pump. Closest town to me has 4 gas stations and 3 have dedicated kerosene pumps. Price is around $3.50/gallon.

Use a diesel stabilizer in pump kerosene and add a few ounces per fill up when filling your heater, lantern, whatever to absorb and burn any water that got in the fuel.

I keep mine in metal diesel tanks that are marked as kerosene.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 12:56 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
You don't see it in my part of the southwest either. I look for it regularly and it's just not here. Nor in any of the other cities in the region.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 01:02 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 6,239 Times in 2,078 Posts

Quote:
I live in N.D. & have gotten kerosene out of a pump marked kerosene at a Cenex station. The pumps for the kerosene were in the same islands the regular gas & diesel were at. The propane refill station was separate, but iirc they got rid of that about a year ago.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,816 Times in 1,735 Posts

If you want to find it at the pump start calling co-ops that do delivery. Around here they are the ones that still have kerosene pumps. Often the kerosene pump is all on its own way at the back of the lot with an outdated pump and an above ground tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 04:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,837 Times in 986 Posts

Kerosene at the pump can be hard to find here too. Generally it's about 10c more than diesel. I stopped needed it so stopped checking the price but I do know that jugs from the big box stores are the most expensive way to get it. If this was for backup heat I would be looking at other ways to heat. Propane is cheap and every where. For the price you paid for 80gal of 2.5gal jugs you could buy a pretty good propane heater.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:48 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
Kerosene at the pump can be hard to find here too. Generally it's about 10c more than diesel. I stopped needed it so stopped checking the price but I do know that jugs from the big box stores are the most expensive way to get it. If this was for backup heat I would be looking at other ways to heat. Propane is cheap and every where. For the price you paid for 80gal of 2.5gal jugs you could buy a pretty good propane heater.
Agreed. And kerosene is/was my main fuel for heat, light and cooking. But without it available at a pump, it's simply no longer feasible. I originally bought the kerosene in drums from the petroleum distributor at lower cost that the gallons in the store, but about twice what pump price would be. Now it's just too expensive that way too. So I no longer have a source other than my single drum full.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:54 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Youre probably right. If it's 100 or 200 more now and its shtf I guess it doesnt matter.

I just want enough heat to get me through the winter
Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 PM
Prepared

Quote:
How many hours of heat does 1 pound of propane get me?
Old 09-16-2020, 12:42 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 31,250 Times in 10,761 Posts

Not even 1 hour of meaningful whole house heat. Propane 91,500 BTU/gallon 4.24# per gallon. 1 kWHr is 3412 BTU. 1 gallon of Kerosene is 131,890 BTU
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,837 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastforme View Post
How many hours of heat does 1 pound of propane get me?
If you know the BTU output of your current heater, the BTU of one you want to buy then calculate the price per BTU of propane vs K1 you can get some real numbers.

Propane heaters dont use wicks and wont soot up your house. I used a k1 wick style heater in my garage one winter..its still sooty. Even replaced the wick, just couldn't get it to run properly. Propane dont really have a consumable part. Also if you keep an eye out 20lb tanks can be free. I think I'm at 22 20lb tanks and paid $5 each for 4 of them, the rest are road side finds over the years.